Cryptocurrency experience

its nice n all but bitcoin is far away from decentralization. there are less than a handfull big server farms and if they shut down bitcoin drops by 30% or more, as has happened in the past and until all the transactions are handled it may take days and horrendous fees. fact is bitcoin is bullcrap.

Cloud computing, as I assume you are mentioning with server farms, is not really what I consider a problem. Network difficulty makes that a requirement at some point. Ethereum, for example, has that baked into their code. At some point, consumer hardware cannot keep up making farms requirement. This does not make it bullcrap. The fees will just be a proportion to their value since it is a bitcoin amount. Whether you like bitcoin or not, is just subjective.

Being multimillionar is a good feeling indeed :cool:
So much money to invest in the new startup and technologies of tomorrow !
(not a "deeptoken" from MindArk tho, very unlikely)

Did you know that the whole capitalisation of all cryptos is not even as big as facebook valuation ?

It's a very small market still, even if big players start to get in.

Bitcoin is just one part of it, but be sure that given ten years, the total capitalisation of all crypto will go x10000 from here, and cryptos will be an industry where most money flow in the end, in my opinion.
now how much % will bitcoin be from the whole cap, who knows, but it won't be going away either.

To answer the op :

I own both Btc & Eth, along a loads of other coins, some being more shit coin than others, and some being unicorns in the making.

I like bittrex / poloniex / Etherdelta / Binance generally. But used many more, and also some that vanished now. The above mentionned are pretty fine for everything.

I have nano ledgers which are convenients, hardware wallet are cool, I also stake some coin (mining)

About explanation of blockchain cryptos and everything, I guess I just wanted to learn and learn more, which is something that keeps evolving, so you never really stop learning stuff anyway.
I started at the highest point of the "2013 bubble" 4 years ago now and my first btc purchase was at 900$ (2 years later the low was 200$ btw ;) ).

Last edited:
Being multimillionar is a good feeling indeed :cool:
So much money to invest in the new startup and technologies of tomorrow !
(not a "deeptoken" from MindArk tho, very unlikely)

Did you know that the whole capitalisation of all cryptos is not even as big as facebook valuation ?

It's a very small market still, even if big players start to get in.

Bitcoin is just one part of it, but be sure that given ten years, the total capitalisation of all crypto will go x10000 from here, and cryptos will be an industry where most money flow in the end, in my opinion.
now how much % will bitcoin be from the whole cap, who knows, but it won't be going away either.

This is why I do not think it is a bubble. It is still too far under the radar right now. Too many people don't know how to get in. The fact that coinbase has made it available to more people (100k accounts for example) and the price spiking is evident of that.

Cloud computing, as I assume you are mentioning with server farms, is not really what I consider a problem. Network difficulty makes that a requirement at some point. Ethereum, for example, has that baked into their code. At some point, consumer hardware cannot keep up making farms requirement. This does not make it bullcrap. The fees will just be a proportion to their value since it is a bitcoin amount. Whether you like bitcoin or not, is just subjective.

the thing is bitcoin is hardly worth it anymore to be mined. and guess what happens if the big farms decide to rather go for bitcoin cash because its easier to mine and more profitable? they switch. it has happened for a bit a few weeks back and the price of btc plummeted. this will happen again as bitcoin is on is basically reaching its maximum user capacity.
when the big farms switch the transaction time will be days, if not weeks with several hundred dollars in transaction fees. you can see how fast bitcoin dies away after that

and i havent seen a single rational reason for why bitcoin would be better than most other main cryptos on the market

Blockchain technology, while has been used in bitcoin for some years, is not technically old as you lead on. It is actually considered relatively new and spreading across multiple industries, healthcare being one of them. The first few years of any good technology requires vetting. Is bitcoin speculative? Yes. So is gold, silver, oil, cattle futures, who wins a sports game - any commodity.. anything that is invest-able by definition. Is it a bubble? Right now, not really - part of the gains of bitcoin specifically is because of adoption, particular governments adding it to their portfolio, and interest in it because of visibility in it. Shorter supply with extreme demand will cause volatile spikes - cryptocurrencies will be prone to this volatility. The spike to $12,000 was caused by 100,000 accounts added to Coinbase. That's all it took.

What I do not fully understand about bitcoins is why would anyone want to use them other than just to buy them? Meaning that every time you would use them you in turn would be loosing money since it seems that the value of bitcoins are just going up every day. That there is where I do see the bubble. As with gold it will always have a value and will not disappear overnight due to the simple fact is that all bitcoins are is computer bits.

Bitcoins do remind me of the current state of the USD being that both really have no base value as the USD is no longer based on gold.

Interesting times.

Last edited:
What I do not fully understand about bitcoins is why would anyone want to use them other than just to buy them? Meaning that every time you would use them you in turn would be loosing money since it seems that the value of bitcoins are just going up every day. That there is where I do see the bubble. As with gold it will always have a value and will not disappear overnight due to the simple fact is that all bitcoins are is computer bits.

Bitcoins do remind me of the current state of the USD being that both really have no base value as the USD is no longer based on gold.

Interesting times.

Most of the gold people own is "paper gold" btw, not actually physical, a bit like the peds you have on your ped cards, or the dollars you have on your real life account which are just "bits".
bitcoin is actually backed up by an industry, it's called mining.
Btc does exist and has an instrinsic value in a way, and when you own bitcoin, it means you own a private key to them which is really real and no one can take it away from you.

Gold has a value because human decided it has value, a concensus created by human, same thing is happening with things like btc.

Gold is inflationnary, not transparent, a bad store of value if we want to do the devil advocate and compare it to btc.
While bitcoin is deflationnary, is storable and spendable easily too, and obviously much more transparent.

The same point about btc you make can be told about gold, why do people buy gold ?
People like you and me buy it as a store of value, and will not use gold to buy stuff, I mean do you see yourself buying bread with gold in everyday life ?

No you buy it to preserve wealth, and hoping it increases. And that's pretty much all you can do with it, which you can't say it is the same for btc, if talking about btc alone.

About spending btc, I have spent loads of btc in the past, i'd rather not have but, it doesn't matter. When I did I was happy to. And If I owned gold and sold it to then spend it, the same would apply.

But btc at this point is not meant to be used in daily lives anyway, just as gold isn't also, other crypto currencies will do that much better.

ps: now let's compare gold market vs bitcoin :

Bitcoin is currently only 250 billion . Gold is a 8 trillion market. It is understandable that btc is that volatile when you have such a young market with a deflationnary currency that can do interesting thing, so in order to be less volatile it must also grow much more in my opinion.

We are also in a crazy times right now, futures trading is starting on traditionnal exchange, the two worlds biggest exchange in a few days from now.

Institutional money is jumping in, no one close eyes anymore on blockchain technology and especially btc / eth and few others getting interest with great usage possible on short / long term.
Obviously we are in a manic cycle also. Btc will go up, and down, and then more up and down, until eventually it stabilizes.
In the end, people must diversify their assets, that it's gold / real estate / btc or whatever, you eventually don't keep all eggs in the same baskets it wouldn't be sane.

Also to finish with the gold arguments : If tomorrow there is an apocalypse, and you happen to actually own physical gold, or only bitcoin private key, those will be the last thing anyone needs at this point. And both would be worth shit either way, it would be the last of anyone problems.

Last edited:
Most of the gold people own is "paper gold" btw, not actually physical, a bit like the peds you have on your ped cards, or the dollars you have on your real life account which are just "bits".

Yes, I pointed this out and why we will see some interesting times ahead over this issue since really no one owes anyone anything since the USD value is more or less 0 now. (yes yes yes).

No you buy it to preserve wealth, and hoping it increases. And that's pretty much all you can do with it, which you can't say it is the same for btc, if talking about btc alone.

As well, I pointed this out and is exactly why it's a bubble. You are only buying it in hopes others will buy into the idea of nothing and the value will go up?

Slow down here and think if MA were to think up bitcoins? What if it was ND's idea? Some would call it a big scam.

Last you say that bitcoins is backed by what? An industry that could go belling up overnight whereas gold will always have some sort of value because it is not a bit. Now please, I'm not backing up Gold here, just using it as a true item example here.

What is crazy about all this is that MA will make money off their version. All they really need to do is buy some of their own, then wait a bit and sale out. Then if the market crashes they have no issues since they already made their money becomes others bought into nothing.

And if you want to fight this more, let me post your quote once again:

the thing is bitcoin is hardly worth it anymore to be mined.

Sadly, this is wrong. It is true that you cannot just plug in those USB miners of old to generate BTC and cheap ASIC crap that you used to, you can still buy hardware just as you can with a GPU rig to mine altcoins. Your statement above is incorrect. There's also more than 1 way to mine or achieve bitcoin acquisition, thus leading your statement to be fairly shortsighted.

and guess what happens if the big farms decide to rather go for bitcoin cash because its easier to mine and more profitable? they switch. it has happened for a bit a few weeks back and the price of btc plummeted. this will happen again as bitcoin is on is basically reaching its maximum user capacity.
when the big farms switch the transaction time will be days, if not weeks with several hundred dollars in transaction fees. you can see how fast bitcoin dies away after that

This single paragraph shows me you do not understand the concept of what happens when a core cryptocurrency forks. If we all decide to jump to bitcoin cash because it is superior, it matters very little because those who have bitcoin have the same amount of bitcoin cash.. and bitcoin gold... and whatever fork occurred. If segwit2x killed bitcoin, it would have mattered little as segwit2x would be the new bitcoin and we would have the same valuation.

and i havent seen a single rational reason for why bitcoin would be better than most other main cryptos on the market

Then you really aren't really doing much value-add research and still have your head in the sand whether intentionally or unintentionally. I suggest taking a step back and truly finding information that isn't full of noise, banker bullshit agenda, or closed minded thinking. I was there... it took several months not to be.

PS. Both of my rigs in my house (total capacity is 17) has/had a ROI of 3 months. If I had more capital and more open space (I intend to sell my house soon to move), I would have more. My only regret is I did not have more intelligent people to discuss this topic with beforehand and now (I do credit ProphetZen for helping me through initial stages and I hope that I am paying that knowledge back to a few people I know).

If MA got into bitcoin when I asked them to soooo long ago, entropia universe would be much different and MA would be much richer. What they are doing now is "too little too late". Unless they design their Universe around it.

I like Coinbase. Downloading a bitcoin wallet to your own computer is a slog and a half, but also a must. Mining bitcoin or other crypto currencies is a good way to get to understand what it does and how it works(antminer). Coinbase seems very solid but for the IRS demanding records would be 100% recommend. Their exchange, GDAX, is really nice.

Litecoin is my third favorite after ethereum (and i just found out about "cryptokitties"). But this is a very dangerous place where you can lose to crooks, bandits, thieves, highwaymen and governments. You should observe the basic tenets - hold your own wallet, don't maintain large balance on an exchange, don't click email links or sms links from unknowns. Be more careful than normal - I been on 3 exchanges that collapsed, I lost 20 LTC to wemineLTC, and i bought mining equipment from Butterfly Labs(with bitcoin: 50 - still runs :) which also went under and I lost my original bitcoin wallet with .05 btc in it:)

The big problem with bitcoin now is the transaction fee - it looks like we won't be buying coffee anymore. I don't think its a bubble. What I think "maybe" is the bankster elites are trying to buy them all is whats causing the rise. I would not buy bitcoin on speculation to hold, especially now at 14000+.

This is why I do not think it is a bubble.

Its a bubble because it's being pumped like a fat whore. It's an investment ponzi and those who don't know better will get burnt (or at least singed). Again, not an attack on crypto, or being an "investor" (though it's more like being a gambler).

Gold has other uses, too. Even if nobody wanted to own it as value store anymore, its price would still be determined by industrial demand. The "base value" of Bitcoins is the mere fact that their number is limited by design, and many want a piece of the cake now. Pretty much the same mechanism which drives prices for virtual items in this game, isn't it? Pure human desire, steered by known psychology. MA has been in this business longer than Satoshi.

Yes, I pointed this out and why we will see some interesting times ahead over this issue since really no one owes anyone anything since the USD value is more or less 0 now. (yes yes yes).

As well, I pointed this out and is exactly why it's a bubble. You are only buying it in hopes others will buy into the idea of nothing and the value will go up?

Slow down here and think if MA were to think up bitcoins? What if it was ND's idea? Some would call it a big scam.

Last you say that bitcoins is backed by what? An industry that could go belling up overnight whereas gold will always have some sort of value because it is not a bit. Now please, I'm not backing up Gold here, just using it as a true item example here.

What is crazy about all this is that MA will make money off their version. All they really need to do is buy some of their own, then wait a bit and sale out. Then if the market crashes they have no issues since they already made their money becomes others bought into nothing.

And if you want to fight this more, let me post your quote once again:

You coud actually go as far to quote more things than what you quoted, it sounds out of context to me.
Whatever people buy in life, they buy it with hope it increases, that was my point itself.
Btc / gold / real estate, you want to purchase for different reason, but you sure have in mind the hope for keeping the value or increase, in order to then invest elsewhere, or get more of "something" whatever you want to get.

You talk about btc going belly overnight, for this to happen, we would need to either shut down internet / or shut down electricity, and at this point there would be way more problems than btc falling was the point.

You do not seem to be educated about btc, or blockchain itself it seems, bitcoin is open source.
Bitcoin is global, and there is no single point of failure. There is no ND clown in it just human nature.

Sure we can argue that at this point if you own some physical gold it's better, but is that an argument to say bitcoin is not as good as gold ? I disagree with it.

As for the bubbles : As I pointed out, if you actually read carefully, this kind of volatility is expected with a young market itself that is global, and reachable to anyone as opposed to gold.

There was a bubble at 10 cent
There was a bubble at 1$
There was a bubble at 10$
There was a bubble at 100$
There was a bubble at 1000$
There was a bubble at 10000$
There will be a bubble at 100k$
There will be a bubble at 500k$

Because guess what, there could even be bubble at 1 million dollar, because it's highly possible a crypto currencies such as bitcoin eventually reach that price too.

A bubble in a 450 billion market (250 billion for btc) isn't a bubble.

Just a natural cycle for something that barely made babies step yet.

Check what a bubble is, look at dotcom for instance. Compare the numbers, and check out how much capitalisation it had before that "bubble bursted" and then check out the survivors afterwards.

It's not even comparable tho, as dotcom was not as accessible as crypto.

Also bitcoin is something I use (and most people) to invest in start ups, which create very real products also.
And guess, what, backed by tokens, that also have usage. Usage tokens as they are called.

In the end, bitcoin is a good thing, so does gold, but for me it is much better than gold. Although I like to diversify, it is clear that I know where I prefer to be on technologies that can actually change the world (which isn't gold) and that is so young that obviously gains can be awesome (and they did, and will because it's a drop in the sea money wise, the whole markets of crypto).

Tokens / coins are not meant to just be an easy way to store value or transfer anymore.

Last edited:
The problem I have with these cryptocurrencies is that it isn't easy to convert them into real money...

When I can go down to my local post office and exchange my crypto-cash for pounds is the day I start taking an interest :)

Missing the whole point - governments can not accept this disruptive tech - so that would mean the PO will not ever become the goto exchange.

And so, what, exactly is real money? - (don't say "a medium of exchange" though because then you would be vindicating the cryptocurrencies).

Gold has other uses, too. Even if nobody wanted to own it as value store anymore, its price would still be determined by industrial demand. The "base value" of Bitcoins is the mere fact that their number is limited by design, and many want a piece of the cake now. Pretty much the same mechanism which drives prices for virtual items in this game, isn't it? Pure human desire, steered by known psychology. MA has been in this business longer than Satoshi.

The mining industry (hashrate) that increases and secure the network, aswell as validate transactions and mint new btc, is ressources consummed through electricity, power consumption, which also gives value to the network, and in turns give a value to btc. which is lower than actual cost of btc generally, or can be higher at certain times.

The difference between the game with virtual items and btc, is that there is no one who can create btc at will.
You can create other coins, but you need people to back up those tokens, without them your token has no value itself.
In entropia Mindark can create an item on will as they wish and kill your value in a blink of an eye, so I wouldn't take this as a good example.

That is why I talked about concensus. Same that operated with gold thousands years ago.
If people decide it has value, then it does, and btc is not just a virtual shit item created randomly by a centralized operation such as mindark.

Last edited:
You coud actually go as far to quote more things than what you quoted, it sounds out of context to me.
Whatever people buy in life, they buy it with hope it increases, that was my point itself.
Btc / gold / real estate, you want to purchase for different reason, but you sure have in mind the hope for keeping the value or increase, in order to then invest elsewhere, or get more of "something" whatever you want to get.

But see right there you missed the idea of what bitcoins was to be. It was to replace the paper dollar yet here you are talking about it only as investment due to the simple fact that others will buy into the idea just in hopes to make money which in turn would make you money so of course your trying to sale the idea.

But lets back up again. What use has the bitcoin now? You can't use them due to the fact so many are buying into nothing the value is going up? Now I'm not saying one shouldn't invest in them, no as you pointed out, it's really really good money now. But it can only last so long and it will just be a fad since it never got to where it was meaning to replace.

The mining industry (hashrate) that increases and secure the network, aswell as validate transaction is ressources consummed through electricity, power consumption, which also gives value to the network, and in turns give a value to btc. which is lower than actual cost of btc generally, or can be higher at certain times.
The power consumption gives no value to the network, this is an illusion. The money spent on it is a thing of the past, like heat generated and dissipated into outer space. Nobody will honor the price of the electricity that went into it the moment the speculation drive stops for whatever reason. Its value is its future use, nothing else. I didn't say it is worthless, just that it's without intrinsic alternative as are metals. It works as a means of exchange for the time being because everybody and their mum wants them right now. Nobody can foresee how long this lasts, and what comes afterwards.

Just saw this article: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-08/20-times-more-volatile-dollar
Note how he differentiates between the virtual coins and blockchain technology, which could be very useful when applied to tangible assets.

The mining industry (hashrate) that increases and secure the network....
now I get what your Society name mean! Already installed couple "miners" myself. Better those kind than my shitty finder in EU :laugh:

PS. Still many people don't know what "cryptocurrency and blockchain tech" realy mean. I did the same mistake when first time heard that term. But then I watched couple speaches of Andreas Antonopoulos and felt so embarrashed with my premature judgment

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest a lot of you naysayers listen to what both Atomic and Squall have to say, they both have the correct mindset imo. Particularly this quote from Atomic:

I would caution anyone who has your particular frame of thought. The people who have your type of thinking years ago are the ones who are kicking themselves now (myself included) and didn't take the time to see what it really what it was all about. Not for the money but for the technology. Skip the noise.. skip the blowhards in the news.. skip the banker bullshit (they don't want it.. it threatens them)... the folks who did are now millionaires. Fact is.. you have no idea if it will go down to 1 cent. It could. It is highly unlikely for bitcoin to do that. Ethereum could.. for sure many of the altcoins and all the silly ICOs would or have. You wouldn't mortgage your house to invest in it or anything stupid. But you could do the same type of research and fact finding that you would do with any other stock. You owe it to yourself.

I would encourage you guys to, as $5 is proposing, to look past the $$$ and the hype and look into the actual technology behind it. Once you understand the implications of block chain technology and what it can bring to the ever maturing Internet of Things I do not think many of you will be so quick to dismiss...

Anyone still clinging to the notion that Bitcoin is to be used as a currency to buy a pizza or something, forget that, that ship has sailed and as Squall has pointed out, other coins will fill that niche better eventually. What Bitcoin is now is an alternative store of wealth much like classic cars, high end musical instruments, Fine Art and yes precious metals and gemstones. It has also become the "gold standard" of the rest of the crypto market. There are blockchains to run apps, send data, fund scientific research, make loans, secure concert tickets etc etc..

Pump and Dump lol no, Bubble? maybe, but anyone still struggling to understand the "intrinsic" value of what is going on here should do some research about the underlying technologies at least. You can pick on Bitcoin or any one individual coin/token all you want but the fact remains we have an emerging market here. 24/7 exchanges worldwide that in itself is bringing something to the table no?

Bitcoin has the ability to swallow up crappy currencies around the world (Venezuela) offering these people a chance to actually save their hard earned cash not just watch hyperinflation destroy it all by the day... these kind of examples go on and on the more you dig deeper. Alot of people in 3rd world countries have extremely hard times securing loans for instance...

I really can't believe that anyone playing this game, Entropia, struggle to grasp some of theses more nuanced details of economy and valuation, intrinsic worth etc considering some of the things that go on in here with valuations lol...

Anyways, I would be real interested to talking to some of you guys that know whats up. I am just getting up to speed more recently myself and have been researching everything from the technology behind it to the exchanges to the mining equipment etc. It would be great to have some like minded people to share resources and ideas with... A friend of mine and I are currently having a tough time finding a way to purchase a few antminer S9's as example...

~008

p.s. , good thread OP, and everyone else thanks for contributing!

Sadly, this is wrong. It is true that you cannot just plug in those USB miners of old to generate BTC and cheap ASIC crap that you used to, you can still buy hardware just as you can with a GPU rig to mine altcoins. Your statement above is incorrect. There's also more than 1 way to mine or achieve bitcoin acquisition, thus leading your statement to be fairly shortsighted.

This single paragraph shows me you do not understand the concept of what happens when a core cryptocurrency forks. If we all decide to jump to bitcoin cash because it is superior, it matters very little because those who have bitcoin have the same amount of bitcoin cash.. and bitcoin gold... and whatever fork occurred. If segwit2x killed bitcoin, it would have mattered little as segwit2x would be the new bitcoin and we would have the same valuation.

Then you really aren't really doing much value-add research and still have your head in the sand whether intentionally or unintentionally. I suggest taking a step back and truly finding information that isn't full of noise, banker bullshit agenda, or closed minded thinking. I was there... it took several months not to be.

PS. Both of my rigs in my house (total capacity is 17) has/had a ROI of 3 months. If I had more capital and more open space (I intend to sell my house soon to move), I would have more. My only regret is I did not have more intelligent people to discuss this topic with beforehand and now (I do credit ProphetZen for helping me through initial stages and I hope that I am paying that knowledge back to a few people I know).

we will see how well this scaling works on bitcoin in the next 3-6 months i guess. you will see im nto as wrong as you wish i would be.

but ill bet you that the market cap of xrp will be bigger than btc by the end of next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKQPHfBnGUo

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest a lot of you naysayers listen to what both Atomic and Squall have to say, they both have the correct mindset imo. Particularly this quote from Atomic:

I would encourage you guys to, as $5 is proposing, to look past the $$$ and the hype and look into the actual technology behind it. Once you understand the implications of block chain technology and what it can bring to the ever maturing Internet of Things I do not think many of you will be so quick to dismiss...

Anyone still clinging to the notion that Bitcoin is to be used as a currency to buy a pizza or something, forget that, that ship has sailed and as Squall has pointed out, other coins will fill that niche better eventually. What Bitcoin is now is an alternative store of wealth much like classic cars, high end musical instruments, Fine Art and yes precious metals and gemstones. It has also become the "gold standard" of the rest of the crypto market. There are blockchains to run apps, send data, fund scientific research, make loans, secure concert tickets etc etc..

Pump and Dump lol no, Bubble? maybe, but anyone still struggling to understand the "intrinsic" value of what is going on here should do some research about the underlying technologies at least. You can pick on Bitcoin or any one individual coin/token all you want but the fact remains we have an emerging market here. 24/7 exchanges worldwide that in itself is bringing something to the table no?

Bitcoin has the ability to swallow up crappy currencies around the world (Venezuela) offering these people a chance to actually save their hard earned cash not just watch hyperinflation destroy it all by the day... these kind of examples go on and on the more you dig deeper. Alot of people in 3rd world countries have extremely hard times securing loans for instance...

I really can't believe that anyone playing this game, Entropia, struggle to grasp some of theses more nuanced details of economy and valuation, intrinsic worth etc considering some of the things that go on in here with valuations lol...

Anyways, I would be real interested to talking to some of you guys that know whats up. I am just getting up to speed more recently myself and have been researching everything from the technology behind it to the exchanges to the mining equipment etc. It would be great to have some like minded people to share resources and ideas with... A friend of mine and I are currently having a tough time finding a way to purchase a few antminer S9's as example...

~008

p.s. , good thread OP, and everyone else thanks for contributing!

nobody here says anything bad about blockchain. just bad about btc because its the worst application of the blockchain. what use has a blockchain when a transaction takes several hours, days or even weeks with the numbers of transactions climbing up? btc has a serious scaling problem that is very much visible. just look at the transaction fees and times now and think how it will be in a week or a month with more btc trading going on. you cant deny this... or if you want to deny the scaling problem please explain to me how this is going to change, especially after them cancelling the segwit2x upgrade

the important thing is people need to differentiate between blockchain and bitcoin. there are tons of blockchains out there

nobody here says anything bad about blockchain. just bad about btc because its the worst application of the blockchain. what use has a blockchain when a transaction takes several hours, days or even weeks with the numbers of transactions climbing up? btc has a serious scaling problem that is very much visible. just look at the transaction fees and times now and think how it will be in a week or a month with more btc trading going on. you cant deny this... or if you want to deny the scaling problem please explain to me how this is going to change, especially after them cancelling the segwit2x upgrade

the important thing is people need to differentiate between blockchain and bitcoin. there are tons of blockchains out there

Well, lightning network is already a solution for btc. I am not saying it's optimal, but it's a solution itself, have you heard about it ?
Lighting network works and provide cheap / fast tx I believe although a little centralized.
Then there is maybe a way to go with upcoming Cosmos / tendermint protocol incoming "the internet of blockchains".
As for me, I don't mind paying higher fees, I do agree that when the network is congestionned, such fees are deadly for the little fish. But I guess btc isn't a thing for little fish right now.
I don't think it will impact btc at all in the long run just as nothing really impacted it up to this day.

Btc is king till now, but it's not all about btc anymore.

You can always buy bcash btw . :silly2:

tulip.jpg

History tends to repeat.

A good thing is that when you buy btc, you aren't buying a company stock.

I hope you never went all in that, without ever taking profit / capital back, that wouldn't be rationnal :tongue2:

I'm a 'bricks and mortar' guy, a bit like your president really. Property.
People always need somewhere to live.

I'm a pretty rational person - apart from the times I like to goof around. :D

Reactions: Mac
Back around 2010 i had several hundred bitcoin. I bought several hundred ounces of silver and a few ounces of gold that year as well. The computer my bitcoin was on had a hard drive crash several months after i acquired the bitcoin. Into the trash it went. Fast forward to today and i still have the silver and gold. The bitcoin i lost would be worth millions today.

Today, i would not consider buying bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency, but i still buy silver and gold. There are just too many things that can go wrong with technology: hard drive crashes, memory sticks fail, the sun has coronal mass ejections which can cause an EMP, North Korea can cause an EMP, hackers can create a virus that steals your private keys, and the list goes on and on. The hacker factor is most concerning. A hacker group can create a virus that infects a multitude of computers (stuxnet, anyone?) before it steals even 1 bitcoin, then on a certain day WHAM! it empties out everyone's wallets. Even if you have a paper wallet this can affect you when you ultimately bring the wallet back online to spend some coin.

For a hacker to get at my silver, gold, and other tangible assets they will first need to get past my dogs, my rifle, and then get me to tell them where to start digging....

Gold has a proven track record spanning over 5000 years of preserving wealth. Cryptos have not even been around for a decade.

Back around 2010 i had several hundred bitcoin. I bought several hundred ounces of silver and a few ounces of gold that year as well. The computer my bitcoin was on had a hard drive crash several months after i acquired the bitcoin. Into the trash it went. Fast forward to today and i still have the silver and gold. The bitcoin i lost would be worth millions today.

I bet you wish you knew about data recovery services 7 years ago. :(

Ouch! :nutkick:

I bet you wish you knew about data recovery services 7 years ago. :(

Ouch! :nutkick:

i did know about them, at the time i owned 2 computer companies. They just weren't worth anything back then, and there was nothing else on the drive worth going through the trouble to recover...

Back