How to Start Trading Cryptocurrencies

Me Really Never

Stalker
Banned
I have talked to lots of people about cryptocurrencies and trading with it and the general opinion seems to be that they are interested in it but it is quite hard to get into the whole thing which puts most of em off.
That is the reason why im making this into basic beginners tutorial on how to trade cryptocurrencies.

There are a few things to note before we get into it:

- Cryptocurrencies are highly volatile, which means that you might start off with losing 50% of your money and then making 300% the next week.

- due to the high volatility you need to stay calm. this is one of the biggest mistakes beginners make. lets say someone invests in a coin and the next day he sees that his investment dropped by 30%. he panics and sells off everything to invest in something else and 2 days later he sees that he couldve trippled his money if he wouldve just hold the coin. (many people refer to holding as hodl)

- imo there are 2 different trading approaches.

1. the hype-trader: theres lots of talking going on about a specific coin and many people hype it like its the best invention since the fire. you dont read anything about the technical details but invest in the hype.

this might work out but a lot of pump and dumb schemes start the same. people hype a coin to inflate its price after (!) they bought lots of it cheap, wait a few days and then dump all of their coins onto the market for a huge profit. a lot of youtuber for example get paid in a certain coin for promoting it.

2. the vision-trader: the other type of trader is one that reads the whitepaper (technical details of the project) and tries to get lots of information about a coin / project and if he thinks that it is a good project which will have a bright future he invests in it. these are usually long-term holders. their vision needs to become true and this might take a while. now you can invest in coins that seem to have a nice future but are still not well known. this could be very risky but also very rewarding.

my advice would be to mix both of these groups. do your research about the project and check out the community. if you think there is potential, invest in it and hold it for a longer period of time. yes, you could potentially make a lot more money by trying to sell at the daily highs and buy at the daily lows but that takes a lot of knowledge about the way the people trade. this technique is very very risky and should only be done once you know the market good enough. for the average trader just holding a position is by far the better option.

one big indicator for how well a coin is doing is the market cap. the market cap is the value of all coins in circulation accumulated. investing in a coin with a higher market cap is usually less risky than investing in one with a low market cap. i would put it like this:

market cap of less than 1 million USD= extremely risky
market cap of 1 - 100 million USD = very risky
market cap of 100 million - 500 million risky
market cap of 500 million - 15 billion = less risky
market cap bigger than 15 billion = "safe" (no coin is really safe!)

a good site to check out the market caps is: https://coinmarketcap.com/coins/views/all/

Now you just need to know how to trade. First of all i have to note that most good trading places dont offer the possibility to trade in fiat currency (USD, EUR, etc). That means you have to buy at another market place and then transfer the funds to the market place where you want to trade.

So the steps are like this:

1. Create an account at a market place where you can buy with fiat currency. Usually you have to register and verify yourself. Some market places take weeks to verify your account and some only a few days. It also depends on the country you are living in and checking in google for your country and different experiences regarding that exchange might help in deciding which to take.

Examples: Kraken.com (the site works like shit but the fees are cheap and the registration and verification took
less than 48 hours)

changelly.com (pretty big market place but seems to have huge fees)

coinbase.com (also pretty big but i havent used it yet)

you basically only need these sites for either cashing in your fiat currency or cashing out your fiat currency. there are a lot more of these sites but i recommend to first look experiences up before using them. depending on the amount of money you want to invest it might be best to register and verify yourself at several of these exchanges.

2. register at a real exchange / market place. the one i would recommend is binance.com. its a quite new exchange but it is growing like crazy and offers a very good interface, easy and fast trades, real time graphs and supports quite a lot different pairs to trade. but most importantly: the fees are ridicolously low (usually 0,1% but on stuff that is hot (gets traded a lot) its usually just 0,05%).

It would be nice if you could use my referral link if you want to trade there and like my beginners guide:

https://www.binance.com/

on a side note: not every market place supports every coin. especially if you want to trade lesser known coins (risky!!) you might need to sign up at other exchanges like cryptopia or similar.

when you are on coinmarketcap.com and click on a coin you are interested in it gives you the option to check out their website, sometimes directly the whitepaper and when you click on the markets tab (besides the tab charts) you can see how much is traded and on what exchange.

3. Buy a big cryptocurrency on the first exchange with your fiat money and transfer it to your wallet on binance (or the exchange of your choice).

here you need to know that every cryptocurrency has different times until it arrives at your other wallet. bitcoin might take severak hours, etherium might take 15-30 minutes and ripple (XRP) usually takes less than 3 minutes, depending on the traffic.

before you can send your money you need to register the wallet you want to send it to. if you use binance you can go your funds tab in the upper right corner (when using the browser) and click on deposits tab. next you chose the cryptocurrency you want to deposit in (btc, eth, xrp are the ones id use) and click on deposit. it then shows you all the information you need to enter on the market place where you bought it with fiat money.

Always (!) follow the instructions shown on the deposits / withdrawel pages. they usually show what you have to enter. it is very important that you only send the same currency to it. if you try to send bitcoins to an etherium wallet you might lose your bitcoins forever. if you are unsure if it works, just send a minimum amount and wait for confirmation. once your deposit arrived you can send the rest and be safe.

important: before you buy anything, compare the fees of the different cryptos and market places. you dont want to lose lots of money on fees before you can start trading ;-)

4. if you plan on holding your coin for a longer time and dont plan on daily / weekly trading it might be the best to transfer your funds out of binance (or the exchange that you use).

For example i am using a nano ledger s which is a hardware wallet. its like an USB stick that holds your coins. but it cant hold all different coins. i am storing my ETH and XRP in it but it cant hold my other cryptos im trading (yet).

if you dont want to buy one of these or you want to trade other cryptocurrencies and hold them for a longer time that are not supported it might be the best to create either a paper wallet or a desktop wallet. every wallet holds different coins so you need to search for the crypto you want to trade and then search for its hardware wallet or for experiences with them.

Now you know how to trade but not what to trade. Well this is up to your own research. If i were you i wouldnt trust ANYone praising ANYthing. i would do my own reasearch about the products and think about if it might become big in the near or further future. most importantly if there even is a use case for it.

also check for projects that basically do the same and better and have a higher market cap. if thats the case and your coin doesnt offer anything other that it makes it unique and needed it might be smarter not to invest in it.

The ones id recommend anyway are:

XRP / Ripple. This is the coin that will be a revolution for international fund transfers. Ripple is partner with many banks worldwide and the first testings of it in asia work out very well. this is the safest bet you will ever get in cryptocurrency that it will be huge. i predict a market cap of around 3-6 trillion (slightly lower than the market cap of gold) which would mean that it will be a 2000-3000% rise from now in the next years. this is the most longterm hold you will find.

next would be XVG / Verge. this is a privacy coin that offers the best privacy of all other privacy coins, once wraith protocol for it is released. for IOS its out already but windows and linux is missing but it seems that it will be added very soon with might lead to a 500-2000% rise in a short time frame.

another one to watch is TRX / Tron. this project is about to be a revolution for the distribution of digial media. right now many developers have to pay huge feeds for things like google play store, apples app store, steam, etc etc. and Tron is aiming to be an alternative to these platforms where the developers get all the credit themselves and dont have to pay a huge fee for listing their stuff.

With these 3 i managed to get back 20 times my initial investment in 6 weeks.

This would be it for now. If anyone has any questions ill gladly be helping you out. Just PM me here on PCF or post in this thread. Good luck in the CryptoWorld! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Too Short..

I recomend everyone read up in wikipedia about the cryptocurrency himself (in his own language so he really understands what is written there).

I have done that, what I have learned is that behind every trading plattform for cryptocurrency stands a company operating that plattform.
Now look at wikipedia how many off those trading plattforms already broke, gone bankrupt and the investors lost all their bitcoins.
Read up how many of this plattforms have been hacked and the bitcoins lost for the real investors.
There was also a ponzy sheme bitcoin trader, where all investors lost their bitcoins when this bubble bursted.

It is extremly high risk investment.

Next thing everybody should read up, is how does cryptocurrency work, how does the currency mining work and what resources are needed to make the system work.

Looking at the electricity power wasted by bitcoin network (mining, transactions) its ridiculous waste of resources.
Bitcoin network already uses 0.13% of world electricity power for what? 350k transactions a day? Damn waste of electric power. Compare it to visa, with over 200 billion transactions a day, which uses less than 2% of the electricity for their servers than bitcoin network does.
At actual growth of bitcoin network (transactions and mining) this monster will use more electric power than the USA at the end of 2019.

This shit has to burst to save our world.
Bitcoin network starts to become one of the main problems causing global warming, as it eats way to much electric power, which in many many countries is still produced mainly by coal and oil.

Think about it!

Do you really want invest into it?

I don´t want it!
But maybe thats just me, as the greed in this world is much stronger than comon sense.

Too Short..

thats why i never said invest in bitcoin. investing in bitcoin is highly stupid imo.

and because these exchanges get hacked i advised that people should use a nano ledger s or another wallet to better save their coins.

when you read up on cryptocurrencies and only acknowledge bitcoin in your research and then advise people to not invest in crypto because they shouldnt invest in bitcoin makes your knowledge seem pretty shallow.

bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency. and there are far better options out there that offer real value :)

just the example of XRP again. its premined which means that there dont need to be huge server farms to farm for them. btw. read up on how much energy the big server farms from google etc use :D

the people also said the internet would be a useless and bad thing...

Last edited:
Subscribing

I use Kucoin as an exchange. If anyone wants to sign up there, I will appreciate using my refferal:

https://www.kucoin.com/

There are lots of coins there that aren't yet listed on the bigger exchanges like binance, bittrex, bithumb etc. Usualy when those coins get listed on a bigger exchange afterwards, the price of the coin goes up.

right now something interesting happened which is a prime example of why its bad to panic:

the biggest site for comparing coins (coinmarketcap.com) excluded the korean exchanges for their calculations of the value of a coin. this happened a few hours ago (2-4 hours) and in the course of like 3 hours the whole crypto market, btc, eth, xrp and close to all altcoins that are traded on korean exchanges dropped by 15-30% in these 3 hours.
after people knew what happened is starts picking up again and recovered 10-15% in 20 minutes.

the people who knew this could have made a huge buck (looking at you guys from coinmarketcap!)

lol OP beat me to the punch but saves me a lot of typing! I was planning to sit down today and do a similar writeup for the community. Nice Job!

I would like to add a few things:

About exchanges, as mentioned this is real unregulated space so its best to choose wisely. Not all coins are available on all exchanges and you would need to join probably 10+ exchanges to get access to them all which is unreasonable for most so you have to narrow the scope.

In my opinion, new users should look to the 2 exchanges mentioned:

Binance - the current top Volume alt coin exchange. Large selection of popular alt coins, good app, large user base.

** At this time, due to overwhelming popularity New User Registration on Binance is currently dsiabled*

hopefully this is only short term (it has been only a few days now)

Kucoin - A newer exchange that is receiving very positive reviews. they have a very generous transaction fee sharing program at the moment. 90% of all transaction costs are redistributed to members via referrall as well as owning Kucoin Shares which is the exchange's own coin. These Kucoin Shares payout on a daily basis.

In addition the offer some interesting tokens not offered anywhere else such as Bounty, Deep Brain Chain (sound familiar??) as well as the Kucoin Shares. They also have pairings in NEO and have a number of other solid project coins such as EthLend, Vechain and redpulse.

https://www.kucoin.com/

They are doing a good job and unlike Binance are open to registration for now. I would advise anyone who is interested to sign up soon in case it also closes registration. Not pushing to begin trading just signup so you have an account in case registration closes. (Bitfinex and Binanace are both closed now to new users)

Today, is a good day to take action for anyone close to jumping in as it is a "sale" day! CoinMarketCap.com has removed the Korean price exchanges from their calculations of overall price (The routinely ran higher). This has caused valuations to be lowered across the board a little bit on that site which in turn triggered a small selloff because of FUD (Fear, Uncertainy, Doubt).

Again, Nice job OP

I wont go into specifics but the 3 Cryptos OP mentioned have been good but have had huge recent runups recently so proceed with caution as corrections are likely on those 3. Ripple is nearly topped out in the short term, Tron is mostly all hype, and Verge is Hype rollercoaster. I think there are better finds out there atm. I personally like Bounty, VeChain, EthLend, Deep Brain Chain, Neo for starters..

Bitcoin network already uses 0.13% of world electricity power for what? 350k transactions a day? Damn waste of electric power. Compare it to visa, with over 200 billion transactions a day, which uses less than 2% of the electricity for their servers than bitcoin network does.

Well, you are comparing Bitcoin transactions + Bitcoin mining Vs. VISA transactions only. Apples and oranges...

Blockchain concept replaces most of the financial services we're currently running to support our FIAT transactions. That's roughly 9% of US GDP ($1.6 trillion). Want to estimate how much electricity is used to power 9% of US economy? You can power all households in the world for a very long time with that energy...

Besides, the source data you are referring is also wrong. It's all based on the assumption that 60% of the revenues from bitcoin mining are spent on operational costs. This is crazy talk, the real number is about 16%.
Quick search on the net reveals all the sites talking about 60% are quoting one single source: Digiconomist.net
That's what's now flooding thousands of sites all over the internet. Those sites live off the catchy headlines, so no wonder this stuff spreads. You, however, do not make a dime from falling for the catchy headlines.
It was not hard to find out how reliable this data was and where exactly it came from. Most successful market manipulation schemes today are supported by much more sophisticated information manipulation campaigns. Anyone who can't verify his/her data sources is a potential victim. (Don't take it personally, I know u're a smart guy and everyone makes mistakes.)

Speaking about successful PR schemes, the global warming is reality but the idea that this process is speeding up is not. Total global temperature increase this century (for the last 17 years) is a whopping zero degrees. (Skip to 5:20)

If deep token works in a direct conversion back in to ped, it'll become an exchange essentially eventually, maybe?

Affilate links removed.

Please keep the following forum rule in mind:

Forum Rules said:
2.10 - Affiliate Links/Solicitation
Advertising real life items or services unrelated to Entropia Universe, the posting of affiliate or referral links, or any other form of solicitation is NOT permitted on PlanetCalypsoForum (this includes member profiles or any other publicly viewable area). If you would like to advertise on PlanetCalypsoForum, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page to inquire. Similarly, promotion of or posting links to charities or other services soliciting donations or money is NOT permitted. Any such postings may be deleted without notice.

Besides, the source data you are referring is also wrong. It's all based on the assumption that 60% of the revenues from bitcoin mining are spent on operational costs. This is crazy talk, the real number is about 16%.
Quick search on the net reveals all the sites talking about 60% are quoting one single source: Digiconomist.net

Well the source that I stated is talking about 30 TWh energy consumption (end of 2017) for bitcoin network, and the link you posted shows 39 TWh evergy consumption at 8th January, so my source is totally wrong although it states a lower energy consumption than your source?

Well I don´t get it where my source is wrong, exept they underestimated the energy consumption and its already much higher than they expected.

Last edited:
when you read up on cryptocurrencies and only acknowledge bitcoin in your research and then advise people to not invest in crypto because they shouldnt invest in bitcoin makes your knowledge seem pretty shallow.

bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency. and there are far better options out there that offer real value :)

Which of the over 3k coins available is not based on blockchain code in a peer to peer network, as bitcoin is?

Its all the same principles, so every coin that grow as much as bitcoin will sooner or later cause the same problems regarding energy consumption, mining waste of energy, transactions waste of energy.

Sure a small coin with low turnover and no big miners is not a big problem, but if it does not grow big then you can´t make big money.
Its a general problem behind the blockchain system, its to processing intensive. The bigger it grows the worse it gets.

There is no exceptions, its all based on blockchains its all bad at the end.

Throw a single stone or snowball doesn´t hurt anybody, but the avalanche it starts can wipe out villages when coming down hill.

Too bad instead of random math problems blockchain math couldnt be used to cure cancer or any other big science or health issues known.... or at least tie in to something bigger like seti.

Its all the same principles, so every coin that grow as much as bitcoin will sooner or later cause the same problems regarding energy consumption, mining waste of energy, transactions waste of energy.
Its a general problem behind the blockchain system, its to processing intensive. The bigger it grows the worse it gets.
There is no exceptions, its all based on blockchains its all bad at the end.

No, no and no. It's not a problem with non-mineable coins. Read up on PoW vs PoS. Even Ethereum plans to switch to the PoS model.

Too bad instead of random math problems blockchain math couldnt be used to cure cancer or any other big science or health issues known.... or at least tie in to something bigger like seti.

It can if those guys or someone else with similar ideas succeed.

Last edited:

Check out Gridcoin, they are doing exactly that!

About power consumption, there are tons of non-mineable coins out there, look on coinmarketcap.com they have asterisks next to all non mineable coins in the market cap section.

so all the poeple bragging about the coins do you use them for bying stuff

or it just like playing the stock market buy and sell coins if it just buying and selling coins some are winners other loosers the looser most time is the last to get in

I really enjoy it when people start talking about bitcoin mining that grows bigger than whole US economy and manage to keep a straight face right until the end. I can't do that!

This is when you religiously believe anything you're told without any critical thinking. Just hold it for a minute, sit down and think it over. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out this scenario is impossible...

Financial sector makes up roughly 1/10th of the US economy. Yes it would be good if this figure (we can call it overhead) was smaller. Less energy consumed, less resources wasted, that would be a good thing.
When you're trying to figure out what's the best way forward it kinda helps if u actually know what's your starting point. I think? :smoke:

Back