Question: What if...?

theProphet

Prowler
Prophet the Prophet from Planet Zen
Just a quick question for your brainz:

What if PED to USD would inflate from current 10:1 to let's say 20:1 or even 100:1, but all ingame costs like decay and ammoburn would stay the same. (you can burn/cycle less in same time)

Let's assume, that MA isn't stupid at all, and still takes the same cut of USD to pay their monthly costs.

Would you think this would help the ingame economy or other parts of the game in any way?
(any profession, pvp, space, personal and/or organized investments?)

Thanks for publicly stating your opinions, they're all welcome! (even the stupid ones) :silly2:

From the sound of it you'd just be moving the decimal. Adding a zero. Long term I don't see how this would make any significant change. Yes it would be cheaper to hunt/craft/mine but the loot would would still match the cost.

Maybe I'm not following...

that would be stealing
,some players have several 10 thousands of dollars in this game you know..

that would be stealing
,some players have several 10 thousands of dollars in this game you know..

I think he's saying everything would be doubled or whatever as well, so everything stays the same, but the activities themselves are somehow valued at the same amount as before so the game could in theory be twice as cheap to play or whatever.

It's an interesting thought I guess, obviously not really something that would actually happen.

No need to change the whole game if you want to make your gameplay 10 times cheaper, just move to smaller mobs.

I suggested the same thing a number of years ago which also wasn't received very well. I totally know what your hope is with this. Essentially lowering the amount needing to be cycled and improving the cost to play but sadly EU is too far too a point where that can't be implimented without additional negative consequences.

I've learned to stop suggesting to ma because they never listen. They just do what they want to do always chasing the next "big idea".

Hm, let's try and see through the consequences. Everything measured by TT value would be multiplied. Everything tied to RL value would stay the same, i.e. from operating costs to those "investments" that rely on markup. What would be momentary, near-term and long-term effects? Would it benefit the masses, and in consequence make the game more popular? The game would be at once cheaper to play, this is what is obviously desired. This increases the share of operating costs since the servers need to work more for the same income. It is controllable, but has to be considered. TT returns produced with existing high-markup tools are slashed, hence there will be pressure on their resale potential. I think this has already been achieved under Loot 2.0 with some resistance remaining which keeps things above their station, but well, as long as there are buyers. However the new system has failed to deliver on its main promise, namely to make the game cheaper to play. The published statistics seem to suggest it has, but it is not felt by those indivuals on the downside of the average. Human nature being what it is, does not deal rationally with statistics. Being told to hold on and pour in ever more until it's their turn for a lucky strike does not bode well with everybody. Because in the end it means that you actually spend more than you would have before the change. Even if the reward is better after enough time passed, it is not more likely to be immediately withdrawn, even the opposite because of its greater emotional impact. This is a ruse not everybody goes along with. Would OP's suggestion change that?

If my ingame turnover was slashed to 10% I would quit.
When I run low on PED, I have the option to grab a weapon that does 10% of the turnover as my normal weapon, and hunt mobs 10% the size of the ones I normally hunt. I have the option to do that already... I see no benefit to making it mandatory.

It would be cheaper to cycle ammo, probes, materials and that's about it.

You would have to make item drops decrease at a relatively equivalent amount or else the disaster that was the current system would continue to push out any significant investors, at least those that are still here.

Personally I'd rather not devalue any more the few items I still have.

in short:

This would mean a devalue of ALL existing items ingame (comps,weapons,tools,armor,la..etc)

it would also mean a lower cost cost(=within same amount of time played) for players,but this isnt really good for companies i guess (getting 50% or even 10% in a factor 100:1) within the same time..

you could only compensate this for all with DOUBLING ALL items (weapons,tools,armors,la´s,etc)prior to this 20:1 Ped:Usd factor ...
example: you paid like 20k dollar for a la with the current exchange rate, and with this factor 20:1 from the current 10:1 it would only be worth 10k$ -->to compensate he should get a second la then to stable the buying costs...so thats not easy though
IMAGINE the results then with a factor of 100:1 (=10x less conversion rate than now)

(doing those steps only halfway would start many lawcases i guess)

you can see this in RL when companies double their stock-amount for the owners and therefore let it be 50% of old price..

I guess your intial idea was to enhance the playing time for the ppl for the same ped amount....but the reality would be like getting more players into the game ,then you can "lower" the playing costs also..(to have the same "income" for a company within same time amount) ...

Eddie

Just a quick question for your brainz:

What if PED to USD would inflate from current 10:1 to let's say 20:1 or even 100:1, but all ingame costs like decay and ammoburn would stay the same. (you can burn/cycle less in same time)

Let's assume, that MA isn't stupid at all, and still takes the same cut of USD to pay their monthly costs.

Would you think this would help the ingame economy or other parts of the game in any way?
(any profession, pvp, space, personal and/or organized investments?)

Thanks for publicly stating your opinions, they're all welcome! (even the stupid ones) :silly2:

well, to be honest, I think this question is not relevant since it's a fixed exchange rate connected to the dollar.
Changing this by a factor 10 would be outright theft and will surely kill the game.
It would mean you would lose 90% of your value overnight.
We all know that MA is already robbing us, but with these amounts would be unforgivable!

But more interesting and more real, what if the euro keeps gaining over the US dollar?
Meaning it gets cheaper and cheaper to play for Europeans.
I've seen time you got around 10 ped for 1 euro and I've seen times you got 15 ped for 1 euro.

Or what if the dollar totally collapses (which is not even so unimaginable)?
Shouldnt this be very positive for MA since they work with swedish crowns?

At 100:1 rate it would mean that a run at anything would be 90 times cheaper.

If it's already so hard to find nice mu items while hunting or good mu bp's while craft or even those rare resources imagining it with 90 times less markup.

Every thing near 100.01% markup? :D

What would be the point to even log in???

Last edited:
What about the MU people paid for gear, deeds, shops aso.

Now you have 5k PED MU on something means 500$, after the change 100/1 it shows still 5k PED MU in price history but now its only 50$.
Many people would be really pissed.

Very bad idea!

At 100:1 rate it would mean that a run at anything would be 90 times cheaper.

If it's already so hard to find nice mu items while hunting or good mu bp's while craft or even those rare resources imagining it with 90 times less markup.

Every thing near 100.01% markup? :D
100:1 like in pion?

It would mean your deposit lasts ten times longer, provided the loot formula remains the same.
Suppose you used to deposit $10 and usually blow it in a day. On higher levels, not hard to do. After the change it would last you a week, and then some.
So 10 days later you have converted all your PEDs to loot. 10 x more loot = 10 x more MU.
Looks like you moved the decimal the wrong way? Althou, it's not all so simple ofc. Both supply and demand would increase and nobody knows where exactly the market would balance out.

All this only makes sense if the loot formula won't change.
Also, all PEDs ingame should also be multiplied tenfold, obviously. Anything else would be theft.
It might lower the value of some high end items. Not as much as it might seem at the first glance. Consider the increased mass of PED ingame, rapid inflation is inevitable.

It would also significantly increase overall activity level. Existing players would spend more time online at bigger mobs/make longer mining runs, with bigger amps.
More people would join the game and retention rate would improve (game becomes affordable for a wider audience).
More people online creates positive feedback loop. People tend to feel better with other people not while walking alone in the ghost town.

The total turnover wouldn't immediately increase tenfold but it could grow closer to the same level as now over time, eventually maybe even surpass the current levels.

The advice to switch to the lower level mobs if cost to play is too high sounds nice. I've done that myself at times and I've recommended it to others but... we all know what's the problem with it. The game's specifically designed so that higher level mobs are more interesting to hunt. If your evade and HP allows you to hunt Spiders without effort but have to spend your days with Kerberos instead, it'll get embarrassing very fast. Might as well spend your time sweating...

If you happen to own a LA and/or large amount of CLD's you'll obviously preach us about the amazing beauty of high turnover. Would be foolish to expect anything else.

Relax, MA won't do it anyway. They've prolly already considered this option at some point but it's way too risky short term. And long time strategy... that doesn't sound like MA anyway. :smoke:

Last edited:
Back