A suggested Experiment for 2-3 months : No decay on shoes and shades

bigPaul

Dominant
Paul Ray Spinn
Hi :)

I would suggest MindArk to try an Experimental Test of 2-3 months, during which -regarding clothes decay- only shoes and Shades (and maybe also hats) have no decay.

Reason :
the market of those items is quite dead,
not to mention the fact that many people go around shoeless (including me) or with economic/plain boring outfits (no sunglasses, no hats) because of the fact that when you wear an armor you have to remove certain clothes (shoes+shades+hats), and you have to pay for decay when you wear them again.
I guess that this (old) idea by MindArk produced more damages than profits.

Also, by this change we will improve the general visual appearance of our outfits, and this will have another positive impact on the attitude of the Player Community.

Here is the possibility to create a more colorful and good looking Player Community.
No more shoeless, half-naked or "vagabond-looking" Avatars : instead, an "I-Want-to-Be-a-Part-of-It" , nicely outfitted and good looking Player Community

Let's try, MindArk. A reasonable experiment of 2-3 months, and we will see the positive outcomes :)

Enjoy :)

Paul

------------------------------------------------

Update 1, February 9

By reading the comments in Page 2, I have added this possible evolution of my original idea :

make it possible to wear shoes under the armour

the decay isn't too noticeable and some way to make clothes deteriorate should be kept I think.

I agree, let's make it possible to wear shoes, shades, and possibly also hats, with an armor on : this is a possible alternative to my original idea.

An experimental test of some months (without telling people precisely how long it will last, just "some months") to let MindArk evaluate the impact of the change:
and, as realistic consequences of this, a more colorful, various and creative Player Community, willing to spend for many interesting outfits. And much less "vagabond looking" Avatars wandering around :)

No more shoeless, half-naked or "vagabond-looking" Avatars : instead, an "I-Want-to-Be-a-Part-of-It" , nicely outfitted and good looking Player Community

Paul

Update 2, February 10

I should chime in a "be careful what you wish for", because most of us who've played the game for more than a few years can remember how certain armors would get bugged when worn over top of certain other clothing items. Lots of humorous graphical glitches occurred

Right, an interesting remark for MindArk.

Let's say that when i wrote "I agree, let's make it possible to wear shoes, shades, and possibly also hats, with an armor on: this is a possible alternative to my original idea",

I intended it as a simple "escamotage" to remove the decay of shoes+shades+hats currently induced by the use of an armor, without any graphical changes to the current system.

In other words: when shoes+shades+hats will be equipped together with an armor, only the armor will be displayed, while those items won't appear at all.
And, like now, hats will be shown only when wearing armor faceguards, and NOT shown when wearing helmets.

Paul

Last edited:
for me personally I don't wear clothes any longer not because of the decay in putting them on/off but the overhead for nothing but a skin.

You want some nice clothes like a pair of jeans, black shirt, fedora, shoes and some shades you're talking about 500+ peds of overhead to cover the markup of the clothes and the required full TT value just to have them look good. For the same price I could get 6+ AUD's that actually make me money daily.

Also on a side note clothes are pretty much pointless these days but for your own viewing pleasure. Long gone are the days of fashion shows and massive gatherings at twin or PA. When you're out you're in armor and when you're in town there's few people that see you clothes - so what's the point?

I disagree that clothes are pointless; in a MMORPG, it's how you personalize and distinguish yourself from all the other lemmings. When I go to Icarus and see a bunch of men running around in their blue boxer shorts, they're all one and the same to me. If I see someone with a well-put-together outfit, be it armor or clothing or combination thereof, I'll notice it and sometimes comment. (Sometimes the comment is a joke or good-natured insult, but that's par for the course.) :laugh:

I will agree however that it *does* annoy me that many armor/clothing combinations won't work together, and when I auto-equip an armor set or "item set-equipped", it'll remove some clothing or armor items and when clothes are replaced with armor parts, I get dinged for decay.

When clothing decay was first introduced, there was a huge outcry...but I've always had the opinion that clothes decay isn't the end of the world; it's realistic because clothes don't stay looking new forever, after all...and the decay is so low that isn't really painful. If you have fresh, newly repaired clothes, they stay looking that way A LOOONG TIME. I wonder if people are complaining because the low-TT clothes they bought look like crap and are averse to paying money to repair them... :rolleyes:

You gotta pay to look good, and pay a pittance to KEEP looking good, so unless you wanna look like all the other Johnny-Blue-Boxers out there, invest in your appearance.

Why would they lower their own income? :scratch2:

If you want no decay on any clothes just get smuggler set or use newbie clothes. they have 0.00 TT value.

MA did say at one point that they would remove clothing decay at some point, but like many of MA's promises it seems to have fallen by the wayside. Personally, I like my avatar to look nice and the few pecs of clothing decay is not important and not something that I bother about.

MA did say at one point that they would remove clothing decay at some point

At some point they introduced clothing decay, as we haven´t had that when I started xD

Beside that, for shoes+hat+glasses its just 0.03 PED, thats nothing to make your avatar look pretty after a hunt where have blown away 1000 PED

If you can´t afford the cloth decay to look good, well EU is surely the wrong game for you.

At Jambon, yes while the old style clothes still have serious MU, there is many options with fairly low MU and relative low TT.
I like my clothes and always keep it repaird and wear it after a hunt.

As Coelacanth said, its how you express yourself and show difference to all that other lemmings.

for me personally I don't wear clothes any longer not because of the decay in putting them on/off but the overhead for nothing but a skin.

You want some nice clothes like a pair of jeans, black shirt, fedora, shoes and some shades you're talking about 500+ peds of overhead to cover the markup of the clothes and the required full TT value just to have them look good. For the same price I could get 6+ AUD's that actually make me money daily.

Also on a side note clothes are pretty much pointless these days but for your own viewing pleasure. Long gone are the days of fashion shows and massive gatherings at twin or PA. When you're out you're in armor and when you're in town there's few people that see you clothes - so what's the point?

damn!
Dude, you gotta pay to look good!
Whats the problem with that?

Some like to buy uber guns to waste uber money.
And others like uber looking awesome clothes.
true, thats costs a bit, but why shouldnt it???

Yes, AUD might give a few pec, but Id rather spend a few pec to get my beautifull looking but clothed well.

Love the idea.

Can we do no residue month next? As a crafter, I support this message!

Agreed! Get rid of the damn decay cost on clothes. They removed it from armor, so it is really 'the next step' in making the game more affordable, a goal Mindark's stated at least a few times in the last several years.

Along similar line, make the quests that allow L clothes to be picked up become repeatable. Really miss the ability to wear those old Arctic clothes from the Thing. For a while they allowed the decayed version of those, which were too decayed for avatars to wear, to be worn by mannequins and shopkeepers...

for some reason that got 'fixed' about a year ago...

would be nice if that type of functionality would be brought back for fully decayed items... (perhaps change the condition limit to .0005% instead of 3% or whatever it is now?... for both items and clothes for decorative only purposes in estates... i.e. let the old shopkeeper or manny pad wear the used up clothes and guns, mining equipment, etc. that folks may want to display but can't really use to hunt, mine, etc. These items can be 'dropped' in an apartment, so why not let the shopkeeper in the apartment wear em too? Perhaps someone wants to 'show off' that L item they burned all the way through that got them in the hof for the discover of tier whatever it was highest at that time they hit it, etc.)

(never quite understood the reason Mindark applies rules so much differently to apartments vs shops... vs other place... would be nice if they'd remove that blasted 'you cannot drop items below one pec' message you get in some locations in games, but not all... miss the ancient days of seeing 'artwork' displayed in different places in games before that darn thing came in to being)

Last edited:
Why would they lower their own income? :scratch2:
If they collect a fee from the auction, that auction fee is more than they'd ever make from the decay on taking off clothes and putting them on... since it'd lead to more sales through the auction as more folks would buy clothes if the decay fee wasn't there.

The decay is a very small amount overall , but there is a stigma surrounding it and it does keep clothing from being used to its full extent.

I say remove it and give it a chance.

Nice idea!
This is exactly why I'm shoeless ava. Its only few pecs for decay, but i'm old jew and just dont like pay for it again and again. :ahh:

Ok, remove the equip fee and add add movement decay instead.
That would be more realistic indeed :tongue2:

The decay was added because people were using it as an exploit to crash other game clients, I think that was the excuse they gave at the time.

The removal of the equipping tax on clothing was given, can't remember who by, as a suggestion that it's something that might happen not a definitely will.

My avatar hasn't used clothing other than a hat since the fee and the conditional look was originally introduced. As has been said, not much point if you're out in the wilds most of the time and in armour that covers everything.

the decay isn't too noticeable and some way to make clothes deteriorate should be kept I think. I do change my outfit from time to time, would be boring not to

the decay isn't too noticeable and some way to make clothes deteriorate should be kept I think. I do change my outfit from time to time, would be boring not to

yes, I think this would be an option we could all agree to, right?

yes, I think this would be an option we could all agree to, right?

That is indeed a good suggestion. At least this way, when I have shoes or heels equipped beneath footguards, they wouldn't constantly get removed every time I suited up or unequipped an armor set. Many's the time I've unequipped an armor set when deciding to hunt something armor-less, and found myself running about the wilds--and eventually strolling into town--barefoot. And needing to equip some shoes or heels. It irks me. :eek:

Crafted buffy clothes.. hmm.

the decay isn't too noticeable and some way to make clothes deteriorate should be kept I think.

I agree, let's make it possible to wear shoes, shades, and possibly also hats, with an armor on :
this is a possible alternative to my original idea.

An experimental period of some months (without telling people precisely how long it will last, just "some months") to let MindArk evaluate the impact of the change:
and, as realistic consequences of this, a more colorful, various and creative community, willing to spend for many interesting outfits. And much less "vagabond" avatars :D

I should chime in a "be careful what you wish for", because most of us who've played the game for more than a few years can remember how certain armors would get bugged when worn over top of certain other clothing items. Lots of humorous graphical glitches occurred when wearing coats & jackets over armor, and I'm sure MA's programming quality hasn't improved a whole bunch since those times. :laugh:

If MA wants more turnover, change all cloth tt to 0.01 ped and put remaining on pedcards + make them unl.

Does anyone else here remember duped clothes, from back in the early days? I remember finding clothes left lying on the ground, you could pick them up and wear them, and they'd look normal...but they were somehow duplicated by other players. At some point, MA removed them from the game. Fun stuff!

I should chime in a "be careful what you wish for", because most of us who've played the game for more than a few years can remember how certain armors would get bugged when worn over top of certain other clothing items. Lots of humorous graphical glitches occurred

Right, an interesting remark for MindArk.

Let's say that when i wrote "I agree, let's make it possible to wear shoes, shades, and possibly also hats, with an armor on: this is a possible alternative to my original idea",

I intended it as a simple "escamotage" to remove the decay of shoes+shades+hats currently induced by the use of an armor, without any graphical changes to the current system.

In other words: when shoes+shades+hats will be equipped together with an armor, only the armor will be displayed while those items won't appear.
And, like now, hats will be shown only when wearing armor faceguards, not when wearing helmets.

Last edited:
Back