Developer Notes #16 - Buff Improvements & More

:lolup:

What could possibly go wrong?

Wow Looter Professions, guess we will have to hire looter same as healer in team.

-AvalonRychmon.

Pets can do incredible things :p

Rick

Looter profession sounds intriguing, what about Hitman profession? ;)

Which would likely mean decreased hit %.

Of course, they could skim a percent or two of the top of the distribution, but there's too little to take there to make a visible change.
Less volatility almost certainly means a higher hit %. We see this already with indoor vs. planetside. Really not sure what makes you think otherwise.

weren't armor skill levels supposed to be coming some day?

Nice so Loot 2.0 for mining and crafting in other words.

As long as there is MU i will be happy for this change/adjustment :)

Nice so Loot 2.0 for mining and crafting in other words.

As long as there is MU i will be happy for this change/adjustment :)

Not exactly. Loot 2.0 shifted the long term average returns from 95% to 98%, and they have expressed that long term returns for mining and crafting will stay the same (90%).
I will be curious to see the effect this will have on EP4 crafters though, if they are getting more frequent hits and smaller sized ones.

Not exactly. Loot 2.0 shifted the long term average returns from 95% to 98%, and they have expressed that long term returns for mining and crafting will stay the same (90%).

Where have they said that? :O
I'm very certain that i've had something around 95% return in the loot 1.0 days (300k clicks EP I)

Last edited:
Where have they said that? :O
I'm very certain that i've had something around 95% return in the loot 1.0 days (300k clicks EP I)

yeah I've heard mostly crafters/miners say their long term avg is 95%, hunting seems to be the one where you can have some control over your return rate with your skills and gear but of course in most cases the potential for MU is a bit lower as a result

Thank you Mindark, for communicating.

After giving it a it more thought these things come to mind...

For the looter professions...

1. I'd have to assume that it will primarily be affected by existing skills so once it's implemented everyone will already have a rank in it and possible even high enough rank to have achieved the unlocks for it too.

2. The purpose of the looter professions I think are tied to the statement they made back with 2.0 of how skills will play a more active role in determining loot. I don't think this means TT value of loot but more over what is IN the loot. IE higher professional standing + Higher eco gun (using their new scale) = better chances to get items (and rare items) in loots rather than just shrapnel.

For the success rate for crafting....

1. As they said this is on the macro-level. Meaning that the numbers they are playing with are going to be a global average. I don't think this is going to improve the success rate much but rather just reduce the amount of times you do a 100 click run on guns and barely get 17% success rate. I imagine it will still happen but it will be slightly less often and teamed with the other side of this improvement it can help overall.

2. The other side of this is returning more materials with near successes which is going to have the biggest impact on return for the individual player and markup of crafted items I think especially as far as crafting items that are comprised of materials with crazy markup.

Personally I think they should just make it so 95% success rate means 95% success rate and just reduce the minimum TT value of successes to cover their cut and fund their balancing. But hey, that's just me.

For the success rate for mining....

1. Again, macro-level change which means most players won't notice a big difference if they are doing smaller runs. But I'm guessing that by "success rate" they are referring to actually finding a claim when dropping a probe. I'm wondering how this will affect indoor mining - will it still be possible to drop 100 probes and hit nothing at FOMA (or 30 probes planet-size)? Perhaps this is something they are trying to correct.

2. I'm wondering what they really mean by increasing the size of the smallest possible claim. That can be taken multiple ways. Does it mean a chain reaction to increase all the deposit sizes or will it mean simply redefining each size (entropia wiki will need an update lol)? Will it just mean that the smallest claim you can find will increase from II to III? Much like when the minimal size was dropped (and returned when rookie gear was introduced)? Will this also affect indoor mining's minimum claim size? If the min size you can find is III does that mean that II's just won't exist anymore? Or will the only be hit as part of amped mining? Speaking of which how will this affect amped mining? ...so many questions.

A very interesting post that hints toward some interesting changes in EU. I know some are complaining about having them finish other things and bug fixes first but at least they are finishing (or at least evolving) the loot 2.0 system they started. If they can at least see this through till the end it will be a great accomplishment.

Why hasn't heal over time been fixed yet?

After giving it a it more thought these things come to mind...

For the looter professions...

1. I'd have to assume that it will primarily be affected by existing skills so once it's implemented everyone will already have a rank in it and possible even high enough rank to have achieved the unlocks for it too.

2. The purpose of the looter professions I think are tied to the statement they made back with 2.0 of how skills will play a more active role in determining loot. I don't think this means TT value of loot but more over what is IN the loot. IE higher professional standing + Higher eco gun (using their new scale) = better chances to get items (and rare items) in loots rather than just shrapnel.

For the success rate for crafting....

1. As they said this is on the macro-level. Meaning that the numbers they are playing with are going to be a global average. I don't think this is going to improve the success rate much but rather just reduce the amount of times you do a 100 click run on guns and barely get 17% success rate. I imagine it will still happen but it will be slightly less often and teamed with the other side of this improvement it can help overall.

2. The other side of this is returning more materials with near successes which is going to have the biggest impact on return for the individual player and markup of crafted items I think especially as far as crafting items that are comprised of materials with crazy markup.

Personally I think they should just make it so 95% success rate means 95% success rate and just reduce the minimum TT value of successes to cover their cut and fund their balancing. But hey, that's just me.

For the success rate for mining....

1. Again, macro-level change which means most players won't notice a big difference if they are doing smaller runs. But I'm guessing that by "success rate" they are referring to actually finding a claim when dropping a probe. I'm wondering how this will affect indoor mining - will it still be possible to drop 100 probes and hit nothing at FOMA (or 30 probes planet-size)? Perhaps this is something they are trying to correct.

2. I'm wondering what they really mean by increasing the size of the smallest possible claim. That can be taken multiple ways. Does it mean a chain reaction to increase all the deposit sizes or will it mean simply redefining each size (entropia wiki will need an update lol)? Will it just mean that the smallest claim you can find will increase from II to III? Much like when the minimal size was dropped (and returned when rookie gear was introduced)? Will this also affect indoor mining's minimum claim size? If the min size you can find is III does that mean that II's just won't exist anymore? Or will the only be hit as part of amped mining? Speaking of which how will this affect amped mining? ...so many questions.

A very interesting post that hints toward some interesting changes in EU. I know some are complaining about having them finish other things and bug fixes first but at least they are finishing (or at least evolving) the loot 2.0 system they started. If they can at least see this through till the end it will be a great accomplishment.

I see this as more NRF's in your runs, but you'll likely hit AT LEAST poor's and up so they can say "You're not hitting II And III anymore so what are you complaining about?!"

Why hasn't heal over time been fixed yet?

My guess... this is how it played out:

• Community bitches about buff exploits and start quitting and/or stop spending money
  • MA higher ups go "oh shit - we better do something about this people are getting pissed and it's costing us money. Dev's fix this as fast and cheap as possible".
  • MA dev's go in and comment out a few lines and slap in some jimmy-rigged code that seem to solve the base problem. At least that's what it appears after 10 minutes of testing. Update published.
  • Community discovers all the bugs caused by their "fix" and bitches.
  • MA higher ups go "oh shit... WTH guys you said this was fixed. How much longer till it's fixed we're losing money!"
  • MA dev's add the task to their every growing shitlist of stuff to do. Then reply to the time frame question with something along the lines of "iunno, the code is pretty much spaghetti string everywhere. We've gotta redo a whole bunch of code for the buff system to fix this properly so it's probably gonna be a couple weeks easily. Especially if you also want us working on X, X and X at the same time."
  • MA higher ups say "ok well do it in half that time cause that's how long we're going to tell people it will take. And NO OVERTIME, we're not running a soup kitchen for devs here".
  • MA dev's under pressure to get it done fast end up solving the problem but creating others to be discovered by the community next patch (rinse and repeat)

:laugh:

So still not doing anything to fix all the Rocktropia loot that hasn't been dropping at all since loot 2.0 was deployed????

Unfuck**g believable....

:cussing:

not to mention the broken ark loot 2.0 and the disappeared pp VU of stuff that didn't happen and i'm not allowed to talk about? :scratch2:

sure, let's do all at once. no problem MA, fingers crossed! ;)

Why would you tell people about the loot change ahead of time. Now your test will not work because people are going to greatly increase there activity in those professions to test it out and screw up your test results.

My guess... this is how it played out:

• Community bitches about buff exploits and start quitting and/or stop spending money
  • MA higher ups go "oh shit - we better do something about this people are getting pissed and it's costing us money. Dev's fix this as fast and cheap as possible".
  • MA dev's go in and comment out a few lines and slap in some jimmy-rigged code that seem to solve the base problem. At least that's what it appears after 10 minutes of testing. Update published.
  • Community discovers all the bugs caused by their "fix" and bitches.
  • MA higher ups go "oh shit... WTH guys you said this was fixed. How much longer till it's fixed we're losing money!"
  • MA dev's add the task to their every growing shitlist of stuff to do. Then reply to the time frame question with something along the lines of "iunno, the code is pretty much spaghetti string everywhere. We've gotta redo a whole bunch of code for the buff system to fix this properly so it's probably gonna be a couple weeks easily. Especially if you also want us working on X, X and X at the same time."
  • MA higher ups say "ok well do it in half that time cause that's how long we're going to tell people it will take. And NO OVERTIME, we're not running a soup kitchen for devs here".
  • MA dev's under pressure to get it done fast end up solving the problem but creating others to be discovered by the community next patch (rinse and repeat)

:laugh:

I personally like the spaghetti string hahahaha

Why would you tell people about the loot change ahead of time. Now your test will not work because people are going to greatly increase there activity in those professions to test it out and screw up your test results.
Other people: "Why isn't MA communicating more?"

You: "Why is MA communicating?"

:confused::confused::confused:

Always someone moaning about something. But interesting, Overall Good. Theyve noted bugs, said whats intended and whats not and given eta to fix it. Ofc it could be faster but better they get it right than roll it out and fck something else up and i have to imagine code for this game is a spagetti fest by now so i can understand needing some time.

The changes to mining and crafting are good if implemented properly, profit players dont care how they get their returns as long as they get ~ the results they expect longterm (they state overall return not changing) and fun players get a smoother, lower vairance experience that gives them the feeling things are going better (even tho their return is the same in the end)

Looting profession, ofc hard to form much of an opinion on the little they released. Could be interesting, perhaps a step to rewarding grinders more (the more you hunt a mob type, higher your skills in looting that mob type/more optimal loot comp/unlock new loot?) but i hope its not too extreme i have no desire to hire people to loot stuff for me, and im not sure id like items to be locked (unable to loot the rarest items from mob without x level in its looter profession) though that could be good, and an incentive to skill, more info needed i guess. But peaked my interest none the less.

Last edited:
I'm not ranting against the developers, but those who determine their tasks. This is a problem of leadership. Where is the new CEO? Is he already overwhelmed by the swamp he inherited? Wouldn't be the first.

Sounds interesting. :O

What about hunt loot volatility?
That one is about dubbled since 2.0 on most mobs.
One can enjoy down too 50% runs just to pay for next ridiculus 100hp big hof.
I dont want to deal in dumb luck, i want another dimension too it, were all factors in.

Last edited:
Ok will be intresting to se what this will turn out to :wise:

yeah I've heard mostly crafters/miners say their long term avg is 95%, hunting seems to be the one where you can have some control over your return rate with your skills and gear but of course in most cases the potential for MU is a bit lower as a result

I get stressed if my long term average falls below 100% :D

On the upside MA are putting in more detailed info about timelines. This could be a result of a new communication memo or so.
Although the changes are macro, as they describe it both crafting and mining profs should notice a difference individually. Crafting because the runs are monitored per click and results can be sorted, and mining if the min claim size has been increased, then new low finds (as multiples of single ores) will presumably be a bit different.
However, tracker should be what really notices a change.
Will MA inform us when they flick the switch do you think, or will people with a close eye on tracker be able to notice quickly?

Really happy to hear good communications from MA.

Glad crafting is getting some (much needed imo) attention :yay:

What about hunt loot volatility?
That one is about dubbled since 2.0 on most mobs.
One can enjoy down too 50% runs just to pay for next ridiculus 100hp big hof.
I dont want to deal in dumb luck, i want another dimension too it, were all factors in.

They have lowered Hunting return volatility twice in the past two weeks in undocumented changes.

Once was Bonus Shrapnel being of lower size but of much greater frequency, second was increasing the frequency of smaller size multipliers.

:thumbup:

why is this called buff improvements and more... it's LOOTER PROFESSIONS AND MORE. those are 700 billion times more important than buff stacking in events that only high rolling ubers can participate in anyway

and if team hunting is nothing but a constant source of trouble disable it entirely!

kind of sad takes so long to fix heal buff :( really fucks me over

Back