How Safe is the Safe Area near Soace Stations

Ranavolana

Old Alpha
Society
Team Varyag
Louise Ranavolana Brooks
I was sitting in the copilots chair on a MS parked near Caly SS.
I was passing the time watching what players appeared in the vicinity & what they were up to.

There was one particularly egregious example of the Pirates "profession" who was in his favourite spot directly below & close to the SS entrance.

When another ship appeared off he would go in pursuit, then back he would come & the little red triangle would turn blue. I always assumed that indicated nobody was sitting in the pilots chair. (but maybe that's not the case as I saw that pirates ship & others moving purposfully with a blue triangle showing - maybe its caused by lag?)

What concerned me was that he attacked & looted anpther ship that was incoming & I am certain it was in the safe zone. The pirate did not chase him in from PvP but was waiting in his perch near the SS enttrance.

It is the height of foolishness to run the pirate blockade down to planetside when carrying stackables.
However, I had always assumed that it was safe to fly into space from planet as your ship was spawned in the safe area.

But is this really the case ? Do ships spawn maybe just out of the safe zone sometimes - or is this just another exploit pirates have discovered & used.

You will probably get alot of imput to your questions here. This is what I know and understand as MA explained the subject of "safe zones" in space to me. Evidently, if a pirate begins to fire on targeted ship, that ship may enter a safe zone in space HOWEVER it can still be fired on for about 10 seconds after it enters the safe zone. My question in the second message to them was probably the one you have been thinking "If you are in a safe zone, it's supposed to be a safe zone. What is he point of it being called a safe zone if you are in the safe zone and still can be killed by a pirate?" And I didn't get an answer the that question I put to them in a second message. lol

I had been attacked by pirates and I sent MA this same question because I was in the safe zone (yellow colored zone) and they still killed me. I never have loot on me when I travel with my quad or sleipnir (depending which I have on me atm) but they will shoot me down anyways. You would figure they would build a list of who is not worth attacking after their kill another avatar enough times.

But hopefully that answers your questions in part. I wish I could give a better one. :)-

What concerned me was that he attacked & looted anpther ship that was incoming

You mean the ship arrived from somewhere else, not spawned at SS? You remain killable for a while after entering safe zone from pvp for 30 sec or so.

I have seen posts in the past people complaining about being placed outside safe zone when they were getting out of the planet. So errors seems happen from time to time.

Evidently, if a pirate begins to fire on targeted ship, that ship may enter a safe zone in space HOWEVER it can still be fired on for about 10 seconds after it enters the safe zone. My question in the second message to them was probably the one you have been thinking "If you are in a safe zone, it's supposed to be a safe zone. What is he point of it being called a safe zone if you are in the safe zone and still can be killed by a pirate?"

Their reasoning a to why you can still be killed for 10sec upon entering is because otherwise pirates would camp just inside, run out and kill someone leaving and jump back into safe zone with immediate protection from being killed and looted themselves. It would be a massive exploit. Granted most pirates do this anyway with no issues, but if a buddy sees them loot someone and decides they want to get the loot (or the loot back to give to owner) then they have 10secs or so to kill that pirate. No one usually wastes time on this but that is an option if you so choose.

If shot at and hit outside the safezone you are still hit-able and kill-able and loot-able despite arriving in the so-called safe zone alive. This is by design.

What I want to see is a mechanic that disables weapons in safezones and keeps them disabled for up to 1 minute upon leaving the zone. Perhaps a -130% fire rate rebuff with a 1 min timer that auto resets if still in the safe zone when the original expires.

I had always assumed that it was safe to fly into space from planet as your ship was spawned in the safe area.

I once crashed entering space, and upon relog I found myself at the SS with a destroyed vehicle in my inventory.

I still don't know what exactly happened - either I just flew into pvp on autopilot, or someone rammed me out of the safe area, or something else.

You can definitely get spawned into PVP space directly, this happens occasionally when the area is very busy.

I've had it happened and even after waiting months I was amazed to log in and find out MA had replaced the value I was looted for onto my PED card after reviewing my support case.

space looks like x-y-z but the map is x-y only. using map to see boundaries of the blue areas is what works for me, for example to aim the shortest safe way between CSS and CP. also know how to use the realign vehicle feature, and about delay after entering safe zones...

good luck space cowboys! :cowboy:

I understand that a Safe Zone is not some line on a map where the second you cross it you are safe.

You can be chased down & killed in a safe zone if you were pursued from PvP in Space and also in PvP on planet - it has happened to me in both situations & I am cool with that (its the doctrine of Hot Pursuit after all).

What concerned me was that there was no pursuit - the disreputable pirate (that is the title on his ship) was waiting well inside the Safe Zone around Caly SS.

I assume the other player flew up from Caly - his ship suddenly appeared & he flew towards the SS. This is the situation that worries me, and it should worry everybody who wants to carry lootables to another planet.

You can take passage on a MS, log off and not log on again till advised "out of game" that its safe to do so, tt to SS & then pay 7ped to tt to planet.

But how are you going to get to the safety of the MS if there is risk between planet & SS? I had always assumed that the risk was on the way down to planet, not the way up.

So. is the only safe way to accept a Summons to the MS from planet?

The more I think about it the more I believe it is an exploit that occurs in certain circumstances that pirates are aware of - I am rather surprised there has not been more talk about this.

space looks like x-y-z but the map is x-y only. using map to see boundaries of the blue areas is what works for me, for example to aim the shortest safe way between CSS and CP. also know how to use the realign vehicle feature, and about delay after entering safe zones...

good luck space cowboys! :cowboy:

it's definitely 'x-y-z' as you put it, not just x and y. Planet boundaries are space-high but stations have spherical safety zones you can fly up or down and get right out of it.

I often wonder how many hours have been wasted in EU but people that aren't aware to manage their orientation on the z axis. I've even wound up in taxis with people who didn't realize.

The whole concept of space is a drag on the game. Who knows how many hundreds/thousands of noobs have gone up, gotten looted for all they are worth and quit the game.

I can understand MA wanting to protect some investment in the game / sell some new toys but at this point its totally worthless without some $$$ dev bucks put in. It actively funnels money from legitimate avatars and potential new blood to scammers and exploiters.

Put in paid teleports, give every quad and privater a deed and every MS owner two deeds and split the money. Be done with the whole shit show until.

The problem is that when you fly off the planet, you don't spawn near the planet, you spawn at the space station, in an area not so big. It happens often enough (30% maybe?) to spawn directly into pvp, right near the safe area. Given all lag and so on AND given this safe zone design, if you do spawn like this you have no escape if the pirate is camping that specific spot.

From personal experience over the years:

1. You are not guaranteed to spawn in safe zone flying up from planet. I have spawned twice outside of safe zone and had to fly in and wait to be safe. Most all the time however you do spawn within safezone but it is not guaranteed.

2. You can get rammed out of safezone and become lootable so watch out sitting afk in safezone. Had this happen a couple times also.

3. One time I spawned into safezone and I must have had a mesh collision with another object and was spun way out into pvp lootable space, I was chased and shot down. I am not sure if it was pirates sitting in deliberate common spawn points to cause this or not I was spinning to fast to know what was happening for about a minute. Luckily I had no lootables with me.

4. It takes 10 seconds after entering safe zone to become non lootable, it does same thing planet side and you try to run outside pvp lootable zone.

I have tested or experienced all the above, been awhile for some of them so not sure if they still hold as facts but I always play as if they are still that way just to be safe.

Louise really has no idea how space works....

Its a buggy piece of shit.

Hi Rose :)
Well, when I am not sure about something, I ask - and people who have more idea about it will be generous & helpful and take the time to explain. And even if they are nasty douchebags - like in another thread I asked a question, they will still explain, Because they cannot help themselves .

Now I have a bit more idea about Space than when I started this thread :D

So, what's afoot with you right now?

Back