Suggestion: An update to future Easter Mayhem style instances

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
In the "defense" instance, there came a point where we all had to shoot mobs to take agro, but had a very slim chance of actually getting enough shots off to kill them before the next wave of mobs came and we had to go shoot at them.
Consequently, we spent hundreds (individually) on partially damaging these mobs. At the end of the instance, we were given about 30 seconds to make the last kills before we were kicked out of the instance. I propose giving longer (is there really any need for a time limit at all?) for us to finish off the mobs we partially damaged so we could recover our loot.

You made a choice to do it that way. I don't see why there should be any mechanism to compensate you for that choice.

This was by design, MA created the most profitable event ever for them.
I dont see a problem with this nor the insane armor decay. I just applaude them for finding a way to make money.
Bottom line is it limited your attempts so players had to put something on the line too in every event, not just do 100s of those xmas things till you got a lucky spawn.

In the "defense" instance, there came a point where we all had to shoot mobs to take agro, but had a very slim chance of actually getting enough shots off to kill them before the next wave of mobs came and we had to go shoot at them.
Consequently, we spent hundreds (individually) on partially damaging these mobs. At the end of the instance, we were given about 30 seconds to make the last kills before we were kicked out of the instance. I propose giving longer (is there really any need for a time limit at all?) for us to finish off the mobs we partially damaged so we could recover our loot.

First of all, 'insane armor decay' had nothing to do with TT return, at all, it's only loot composition and counts as a TT input.
Not killing mobs after damaging them does on the other hand, so this is pure profit for MA.

Giving a player the chance to kill the mob after the defense ends is just showing the basic respect a company should show their players, namely 'you won't screw us over, we won't screw you over, we both win'. Anything else just isn't morally acceptable, therefore it needs to be driven into this region.

You made a choice to do it that way. I don't see why there should be any mechanism to compensate you for that choice.

If everyone makes the choice to stop playing the game will die.

Mindark should allow folks to kill things they started to shoot at going forward. Lots of other MMOs do likewise, even if it means you didn't 'win' the instance in the time frame allocated, etc. Maybe if they put up a big thing you have to click through that says, 'now it's time to gamble since you may not be able to loot all creatures you shoot at here' it would suffice? Same kind of thing goes on with other parts of the game too where it's nickel and dime thing... Personally I hate wave spanners that allow the mob to disappear if you don't kill all the mob in time, instances that are timed that don't let you loot at least something since you died before the end end of the instance, etc. Some love that shit... You are right, it's a choice, but if it's your first go through on that kind of crap and you don't have any type of warning about it it does seem like Mindark's trying to nickel and dime you, and probably does keep some folks from not coming back to play all the time since it probably does lead to someone rage quitting at some point in time in the past.

If they do make some type of change in this regard, perhaps they could expand similar type of changes to other parts of the game mentioned in this post, and in areas we haven't mentioned in this thread yet, where the same type of thing is going on...

Last edited:
Maybe they should just not have any looting during the event and give you the loot at the end of the instance....Swirls and ESI's for all!

im just glad you can do it 1 or 2 times and place. be happy they dont make us do 40 of the runs and average the time.

im just glad you can do it 1 or 2 times and place. be happy they dont make us do 40 of the runs and average the time.

Oh, if the existing system proofs to work out well despite it's inherent flaws, you can be sure that's the next step to take.

MA feels like a child who hasn't been socially adapted yet, pushing for the 'walls' of their life, the borders they aren't allowed to overstep, and while getting a few of them literally shoved into their face, they are learning slowly, which shows at the implementation speed and lack of the inner workings of some of those systems, like they have simply no experience in those fields at all, and have not taken care to build any up in them either before starting.

Let me get a bit deeper into that: The 'run 40 runs and let's see the average' thing has already been done successfully since they are seen as 'fair' with quite some problems. After getting a few lucky drops and running out the time, playing on in it becomes counterproductive, meaning people stop paying for an event which they will likely loose out by investing more.
So MA has gotten rid of the medium score and instead tallied it up as a total one, more incentive to keep on pushing, and pushing, and pushing since there is nothing holding you back from a better outcome. So it's a manner of bankroll and possible time-investment rather then a strategy one, and it makes sense from their viewpoint.

Now what I guess what'll happen soon enough is a mix of both systems as it simply makes sense to get people to feel they have it 'fair' and for MA to get the best return. While demanding a specific amount of runs, in a smaller number, only the best 'n' outcomes get added together, with the rest being simply non-important. While people can therefore have a few lucky and a few bad runs, in general they feel having had more of a chance. While it still favors the people who have put a lot inside, you can actually get simply lucky with having those runs early on, or you can actually work directly towards having such. So there is never a lack of both options, speaking to both sides equally and not preferring luck over skill or over bankroll, to each their own.

Would in my opinion be a good way to make it happen, though at the other hand that might only come in 5-10 years given their time needed for adapting things, and they probably will take ten more detours on the way making half the player-base facepalm out of frustration. It's why I'm saying I feel MA is like a little child who needs to properly grow up, just with the problem that this game isn't a safe place for them to test things out at their own pace or even without knowledge, but one where each decision is immediately picked apart into parts most didn't even knew they composed out of, that's usually already finished when 'maturing' a bit, as it takes a wide range of people into perspective instead of a small narrow view as they have still.

I agree with both Oleg and Sid here.

Oleg makes a good point. Your choosing to kite the mobs to optimize your score. High risk high reward. I have no issues with this.

Same with Sid. You can run the defense mode as many or few times as possible. If someone got “lucky” and scored a good time in one run. Good for them. As an opponent you have as many chances as you like to try and beat that score.

No reason to have to do it 40 times or X amount of hours.

I agree with both Oleg and Sid here.

Oleg makes a good point. Your choosing to kite the mobs to optimize your score. High risk high reward. I have no issues with this.

Same with Sid. You can run the defense mode as many or few times as possible. If someone got “lucky” and scored a good time in one run. Good for them. As an opponent you have as many chances as you like to try and beat that score.

No reason to have to do it 40 times or X amount of hours.

Yes, that's absolutely true, unless you want to maximize profit, which clearly is the viewpoint of MA as a company. So they do those things in a form which is purely profitable for them, not for the user, and lacking the ability to think up any sort of meaningful middle-ground sadly.

Back