Suggestion: Dive - New Command

fred5283

Stalker
Society
AO
Norian Norian Xx
When your toon is in water, you have the ability to rise by using the jump command.

Currently there is no command in the action library to dive.

If a new command can't be created, maybe it is possible to associate dive to something else (like jump is to rise).

When you're in a VTOL, you can fly up as well as down. I imagine the "Down" action key would be the same as diving.

When you're in a VTOL, you can fly up as well as down. I imagine the "Down" action key would be the same as diving.

yea for this reason i still press Ctrl to swim down, even tho it does nothing.

I've honestly never seen the need for a "Down" key when swimming...if I mouselook down, and move forward, I swim downwards. Standard FPS movement that doesn't need a special key binding.

I've honestly never seen the need for a "Down" key when swimming...if I mouselook down, and move forward, I swim downwards. Standard FPS movement that doesn't need a special key binding.

Now imagine playing without a mouse at all :) And that's exactly what the OP does.

We have "Rotate Left/Right" actions that are useless for anyone who has a mouse, so the devs apparently had a keyboard-only play in mind. We have dedicated "Stop" action, even though the same result can be achieved by pressing "Move Backwards". So guess having one more action wouldn't hurt anyone, even if it would have use only for 1% of players.

If nothing else, the "Sit Down On" action could double as dive.

Now imagine playing without a mouse at all :) And that's exactly what the OP does.

We have "Rotate Left/Right" actions that are useless for anyone who has a mouse, so the devs apparently had a keyboard-only play in mind. We have dedicated "Stop" action, even though the same result can be achieved by pressing "Move Backwards". So guess having one more action wouldn't hurt anyone, even if it would have use only for 1% of players.

If nothing else, the "Sit Down On" action could double as dive.

Exactly and ty

Use "look up" and "look down" actions in the same fashion? I sometimes use the rotate actions on the keyboard when I'm too lazy to keep switching between keyboard and mouse (or rather, since I'm used to VIM). Not sure I've tried this in the vertical, going to test right away.

Edit: Yes, works :)

Last edited:
Use "look up" and "look down" actions in the same fashion? I sometimes use the rotate actions on the keyboard when I'm too lazy to keep switching between keyboard and mouse (or rather, since I'm used to VIM). Not sure I've tried this in the vertical, going to test right away.

Edit: Yes, works :)

Look up/down does not work like jump/rise

Not quite but it lets you head and then move forward in vertical direction the same way as horizontally with rotate. Easily reached the seafloor and surface again just now.

Not quite but it lets you head and then move forward in vertical direction the same way as horizontally with rotate. Easily reached the seafloor and surface again just now.

Not really doable while tanking

Let’s get back on topic - command for dive please
It’s discriminatory to have one for jump/rise and nothing for dive! :)

No, they have to be coupled with a forward/backward motion.

How do you land a VTOL? I can fly mine straight up or down, while turning left or right, forward or reverse, without a mouse. I only use mouselook when I'm flying to view my surroundings. I don't see the functional difference between "down" and "dive"...?

No, they have to be coupled with a forward/backward motion.

How do you land a VTOL? I can fly mine straight up or down, while turning left or right, forward or reverse, without a mouse. I only use mouselook when I'm flying to view my surroundings. I don't see the functional difference between "down" and "dive"...?

I use the move up / move down commands to fly up, down, land, etc - movement in Z direction

Automove, move forwards/backwards, rotate left/right, and strafe left/right are also commands I use to fly/navigate.

A "move down" function in water (dive) would be great, at least for me.

Better they remove swim up and make it so you can face any direction under water and swim forward. Swim in a loop if you want.. just auto correct when surface... :)

Better they remove swim up and make it so you can face any direction under water and swim forward. Swim in a loop if you want.. just auto correct when surface... :)

I still would prefer a swim up/down. like when you VTOL you want to adjust your position without facing a different way, but swimming in loop would be nice and much needed in space

It definitely should be something that is implemented, though I imagine the reason it hasn’t been is programming. getting into a vtol removes the gravity function for that object in regards to the physics engine the game runs on. Water is a different story since it’s not an object that can have the physics engine aspect disabled. And we all know how great MA is at figuring out how to code something. I imagine that the water areas are rather a “float zone” and jump to rise works because of that. But there is no movement in game to actually move your character “down” otherwise we would more than likely face and issue with players going subterranean, at least that’s my prediction of the fallout from adding the movement

i guess you did never hunt levis while swimming backward

Back