I miss PE

Acro

Self-requested Deactivation
Society
Freelancer
Acronoid
I miss PE.
What I miss is not a video game, graphics or loot distribution. I don't miss anything MA can make or implement.
What I miss is a sense of community that was around 11 years ago. A sense of dreaming and enthusiasm. A sense of newness. The potential that got lost by implementing it. The idealism of PE's original creators which left the company with them.

But instead of being negative I really need to thank the people that created PE for creating something so beautiful it opened our minds and created such beautiful memories.
Thank everyone that was around 12 years ago for being part of that community in your own unique way.

I hear you, Acro. In PE, there was a total sense of mystery and adventure about everything that was going on. Now, people only need to browse a forum or EntropiaWiki or EntropiaLife and consider themselves all-knowing about every aspect of the game and other players. Auction houses, for all their usefulness, have dealt a big blow to social interaction and trading, and "making a name for yourself" through actions other than globalling or HOFfing all the time. 5-PED globals happening all the time have watered down the excitement of getting nice loots. Polished synth songs sound more mainstream and less eerie and otherworldly than back in the old days of PE, where the music really seemed to fit the mood of the environments. Loot windows filled with multiple colored items were dynamic and exciting, and were a visual stimulus reward in itself, very unlike the loot windows filled with crapnel and stackables that are all-too-predictable nowadays.

Octagon in twins.
I remember standing there in my OJ's.
Watching everybody just chatting, wasting ammo just for fun.
It was a bustling community.

Now it's become a grindfest.
Just doing iron missions solo.

So yes, the community sense did seem to have died a little.

Stretch your legs a bit and move out of the box you have yourself contained.

There are many opportunities to meet new communities within Entropia.

Take for example the small but growing community of Monria , which offers personalized events for new players and veterans alike.

Also there are many opportunities to help with new players in Icarus or one of the dedicated sweating areas , Royal , ola 42 , Boreas.

Also there are specialized chat channels that are communities within themselves.

Flying to a new planet is under 5 ped and offers a new daily adventure.

Just a few examples if you step out of the box.

I dont disagree that PE was fun , but its time to move on.

These is some things to miss and some not that good. I think community was killed by global chats and introducing other planets. Back then there was only local/trade/private which force us to gather together at old PA - no long range spamming. Also no other planets to go and spread the community.

What I liked most:
- sweating with weird body movements rather than tool :yay:
- real sense with sci-fi hostile world including awesome soundtrack with references to lost in space
- opalo + A103 (just because i could not affort A106 back then) :cool:
- MF using sweat-based mind essence only, back then with sweat at 10/k using MF was like wearing big label with "i'm rich". I could not afford but still I liked the idea of elite/premium professions like MF was back then

What i don't like is that game was inconvenient to play including:
- no AH search function
- no MU history, do you guys remember http://www.peauction.com/ ? :laugh:
- no global chats
- no autouse - crafters had to use autoclickers which was considered cheating/botting :laugh:
- no vehicles although I have good fun doing old-school TP run, unlocking all TPs meant something back then

Thank you OP for this post. Mature tones at last between all the senseless mud-slinging. I think the changes in the "sense of community" are an inevitable consequence of it growing beyond Dunbar's number. Come e.g. to Next Island and you can find it still, or again. Not all changes made to the game are bad, but the loss of many endearing features upon the change to CryEngine and the breaking of the promise to restore them has dealt a blow. That the company had to change from a group of enthusiasts into a self-sustaining business was also inevitable for its survival, but how it communicates and presents itself today is worlds apart from what we once signed up for. That most of the original creators are no longer there is sad, but also a reality I've experienced in more than one example where a maturing business drives its originators out. But not everywhere it is that breaking promises and the outright appalling treatment of investors has become so deeply ingrained in the company tradition. If this doesn't change it stilll might kill it one day.

There is good and bad in nearly everything, just one aspect I find nothing to complain about are the soundtracks on Calypso. They are still top notch and about the only aspect of the game which continues its original tradition. Though I'd also prefer additions over time from replacements. Variety could be added by more localized playlists or selection criteria.

One thing I don't miss is the absence of mediums of interchange. Some like to blame the convenience of global auction for the loss of community sense. This is putting the cart before the horse. It's a consequence of growth. Other conflicts you have to work out with yourself -- like I appreciate vehicles as much as I feel the loss of old-style tp runs.

I miss checking prices on mytwopecs :(

These is some things to miss and some not that good. I think community was killed by global chats and introducing other planets. Back then there was only local/trade/private which force us to gather together at old PA - no long range spamming. Also no other planets to go and spread the community.

What I liked most:
- sweating with weird body movements rather than tool :yay:
- real sense with sci-fi hostile world including awesome soundtrack with references to lost in space
- opalo + A103 (just because i could not affort A106 back then) :cool:
- MF using sweat-based mind essence only, back then with sweat at 10/k using MF was like wearing big label with "i'm rich". I could not afford but still I liked the idea of elite/premium professions like MF was back then

Yeah, sweating was sorcery back then :sweat:
I started my carreer on mindforce. Grinding psycho @400% ME. That was some eco for sure!
But on the other hand selling a 10 ped psycho chip for 2500 ped :wtg:

Those were the days.

Opalo + 103? I think for me it was a jester with A103. That was nice, but I liked my frean delta with dante even more :laugh:
(Didnt like the maddox IV since it was crafted and I found looted items much cooler even though the maddox was bettter)

What i don't like is that game was inconvenient to play including:
- no AH search function
- no MU history, do you guys remember http://www.peauction.com/ ? :laugh:
- no global chats
- no autouse - crafters had to use autoclickers which was considered cheating/botting :laugh:
- no vehicles although I have good fun doing old-school TP run, unlocking all TPs meant something back then

No MU history. in contrary, I liked that one. That forced you to do more research on PE auction. And you could set your own prices instead of people Always pointing you to the auction graph.

No autouse was deadly! Gave me carpet tunner syndrome! It was horror!!!

No vehicles was both fun and a horror.
As you said, TP-runs were epic. It was an adventure!
Now you just hop on your sleip, set course, get some coffee, and you're there.
Sure, there were TP chips, but still, getting all TP's as noob was a challenge.
:cool:

skamwantstosit.jpg

Stargazer (Skam, CND '07)
stargazer_skam_anno_07_on_cnd.jpg

Yeah, let go and move on, I get that.

Reminds me what JBP speaks somewhere about the teenager boys who're terrified of girls. The girl is not a real girl, she's this Ideal Woman, Absolute Perfection made flesh. No wonder you're all frozen up and speechless! Scares the shit out of you.
Boys eventually get rid of their mental block by communicating, by getting to know her.
But there's a price to pay. You get the real woman and you lose the Divine Goddess forever.

On a second thought, to hell with that. I'll take the Goddess.

Entropia is dead. LONG LIVE ENTROPIA!

Stretch your legs a bit and move out of the box you have yourself contained.

There are many opportunities to meet new communities within Entropia.

I actually thought about making a new avatar and start over as a brand new noob; and making a Vlog about all the missions. I'm not sure if I can say goodbye to my old avatar though.

Ofcourse I have too much work now; and although I search some escapism; I'm not sure if EU wouldn't be too addicting to get fully into again. Might just load up some PED and just do some (team) hunting again. Sadly I'm low on money now and I would have to buy a couple k ped worth of armor and gear to get upto a fun level again.

Though I might actually consider, the more I think about it. Just playing with old Acro I mean, not starting over completely. Just I don't like to lose ped. I know, nobody does but MA needs to eat.

There are things I miss and things I dont.

I think I used to be slimmer back then. ;)

Play any of the old music - and you will be back instantly!
I miss it too, something seems missing lately

- old PA
- CND and the parties at Ney Year with Burgerman and Bunny ( I remember one, everone sitting at home at full volume because Thunderstruck was aired and Burgerman shot his rocket launcher in the perfect moment)
- mytopecs
- pe-auction
- different crafting terminals
- VOTE TERMINALS

But I am happy today as well, times are changing, and some features from today I do not want to miss

Social aspect of game.. was more social things in game.. diffrent competitions arranged by players for players.

Getting shiny items in loot. The big hunt for hangar parts.. first moment when you actually got that spaceship working and flew to spacestation.

First landgrab.. seeing how good some players actually was :)

Alltough Graphics and game stability have improved alot.

Funny, just read a short story by jay bonansinga; written in 2004, before he wrote the walking dead series I guess.
In it his old uncle gave him the advice never to chase that first time (in heroin, kissing an italian girl, coffee, playing blues,...) just before he died.

I wonder if I and many of you are trying to chase that first experience we had.

I wonder if I and many of you are trying to chase that first experience we had.

you are certainly right there somehow.

we are all marching into our midlife crisis here, being stuck in the everyday's routine of our lives and in PE.
and we want to feel this thrill again we had, when we were younger and every experience was new...

*sigh*

we are all marching into our midlife crisis here, being stuck in the everyday's routine of our lives and in PE.
and we want to feel this thrill again we had, when we were younger and every experience was new...

*sigh*

Ahhh crap!

So, now I got 2 midlife crisis?
In real life AND also one in my virtual life?!?
:duh:

No, not RIP PE.
PE is the game I still play.
Project Entropia just got a few extra planets to make it a universe.
But in my hart it's still PE.

Just listen to this and step back in time again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tqCEOl0gnI

Ahhh crap!

So, now I got 2 midlife crisis?
In real life AND also one in my virtual life?!?
:duh:

No, not RIP PE.
PE is the game I still play.
Project Entropia just got a few extra planets to make it a universe.
But in my hart it's still PE.

Just listen to this and step back in time again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tqCEOl0gnI
Yeah right... For whatever reason Ma thought idiots/gambling addicts would pay for the planets and they sold it on that.. If they did not sell that then what...

*sigh*

Hold it, just hold it :eyecrazy:.
I'm 34; I'm too young for a friggin' mid-life crisis.
I'dd call it more saying goodbye of a prolonged childhood.

I wish I had more routine in my life; but I moved to a new continent a couple years ago, got married; now I just started working on a couple of business ideas which are still in its infancy; while trying to get some more routine in my life.
I just miss the times where I had a boring job and played PE in the evening (instead of doing things other young 20 somethings do).

Back