Help me fix my laptop please - deaf mode.

Status

RickEngland

Elite
Society
Jurai Blood
Rickard Rick England
Hi Folks

I've been running EU for the last month in deaf mode, i.e. no sound at all. Actually I've got quite used to it now.
If I open youtube I've got no problem with sound at all, it's just sound with EU and compet apps that dont work.
If I boot up the laptop I get the windows sounds.

I have a feeling it's something to do with Win10 update and internal speakers, that killed off the link to the laptop speakers. I've checked for windows updates.

I'm using one of these. ASUS Rog Strix GL503VD Gaming laptop. So it's new and should work.

Tried fixes.

I've reinstalled all drivers, even watched a few youtube vids and tried all the variations of driver installs they say to fix it.
Reinstalled EU, that still didn't fix it.

However, say there's no fix. If I buy some USB speakers, do you think that would by pass the problem?
Is there a good freeware tool to debug the damn thing?
Is it a registry thing, and how do I fix that?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm an old git now, so basically I'm a plug-in and go PC user, way passed the days I knew how to fix these PC problems. Tech moved on I didn't...haha.

Cheers

Rick

I had it one time after an update, left it like it was as like you I am not following the tech really, suddenly out of nowhere months later it worked again :D

I had it one time after an update, left it like it was as like you I am not following the tech really, suddenly out of nowhere months later it worked again :D

ohhhhh...I was also taking this wait and hope approach. Gratz getting yours working again.

I'll tell you something I noticed in one of the volume settings. EU had its own volume setting bar with an EU icon, so it got me wondering if it's an EU thing and win10. Who knows, maybe laptop internal speakers are not configured.

Microsoft keep chaginging everything all the time, doesn't help of course.

Rick

Hm, I assume you're past checking the sound settings within Entropia itself. If you got sound from other programs then the first thing I'd check is the Windows audio mixer. The little loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar, if it gives you only one slider for overall volume upon clicking it, there should be a link at the bottom called "Mixer" which gives you such a slider for every program with sound output currently running (e.g. your browser if there's a video playing in it). See if it's muted or the slider is down. Windows has a history of applying random setting changes you don't recall ever having touched ;) Caveat: I'm still on Win7 and hazy about the details last time I saw someone's Win10 machine but it should still offer the same functions there.

(Edit: Didn't see your post #3 while writing this.)

Hm, I assume you're past checking the sound settings within Entropia itself. If you got sound from other programs then the first thing I'd check is the Windows audio mixer. The little loudspeaker symbol in the taskbar, if it gives you only one slider for overall volume upon clicking it, there should be a link at the bottom called "Mixer" which gives you such a slider for every program with sound output currently running (e.g. your browser if there's a video playing in it). See if it's muted or the slider is down. Windows has a history of applying random setting changes you don't recall ever having touched ;) Caveat: I'm still on Win7 and hazy about the details last time I saw someone's Win10 machine but it should still offer the same functions there.

(Edit: Didn't see your post #3 while writing this.)

Hey San, I'm sure I've checked all the usual stuff. But later I'll switch to windows mode whilst online, and then check volumes again, just to confirm.

My gut tells me its a problem with the registry and talking to internal speakers. I knew how to fix these things in the early days of PC's, sadly my knowledge became obsolete now, I simply can't keep up with speed of tech advances and changes from 30 years ago.

Many thanks

Rick

Reactions: San
Hello Rick,

sorry to hear from those problems...but as you also may know..its hard to get on the real problem-fix from only the post without being able to see things etc...

1) if you can hear all in windows and yt etc....i can assume your Hardware and "standard" drivers are ok

2) Did you ever play eu with this laptop?

if no...then its a driver/sw/settings issue within some possible sources :

Sonic Studio : maybe a output setting or there is an app/game list within where you can change settings..(like in some graphic driver user interface for tuning etc...

i am not a pro with Win10 actually but you can also check the windwos settings within sound driver/generell setting
like in old win systems the speaker symbol next to the clock in bottom right and also some settings in "system ,control panel"

If yes ,then it might be due to an windows update/patch etc..and you can look on asus website etc for maybe also some updates of drivers etc...

ALSO in eu ...client loader tools, disable streaming mode,check also for repair installation if all is ok...

-->also ofc in Sound options of eu...turn ALL sliders to max , check also sound in background,very high sound quality
when i had a "old mic/speakers" i had to check the input AND output device there too
Atm i am using an usb headset,so icant say if the options are still there or were removed completely

3) check also the sound in other games etc...do you hear something in other games too?

4) if you have a headset, test the sound /output with it...(if you dont have one...maybe you can borrow an USB one from a friend?)

Those are the first steps to check now...i know this might be hard work to go through this....but i guess there is no generel recipe on finding the issue...

Gl,
Eddie

Can't be much help, but when I have problems with drivers on Win10 always the solution came from Microsoft updates. Never from the manufacturer.
Check Windows Updates frequently and not only the critical ones. Optionals might bring ya your solution.
Just my tiny contribution to your thoughts :)
GL

PS/Tip: just remove any extra sound software, if came with any pre-installed your laptop - sound card

Thanks that's a good idea Edward James, I will try the headphones tomorrow.

Thanks Billy Jean, I'll do some searches on the win site, and check ASUS....might get lucky.

Thanks again

Rick

[video=youtube;c8N72t7aScY]No option to go back to Windows 7?

I don't trust Windows 10 one little bit. ;)

Trust it I don't, either. Not one bit. But people keep telling me it's got significantly better performance even on the same machine, so I'm giving it a try and taking note of problems reported by other users. You can always revert by reformatting and installing an older system from scratch, should a built-in "feature" to do so fail or annoy with nosy questions which can be expected to be reported back. It's strictly for gaming anyway, everything work-related or private goes on a Linux machine, so the trust issues are kept in check. (This is o/t but hoped to be a useful hint for the lazy.)

Last edited:
Trust it I don't, either. Not one bit. But people keep telling me it's got significantly better performance even on the same machine, so I'm giving it a try and taking note of problems reported by other users. You can always revert by reformatting and installing an older system from scratch, should a built-in "feature" to do so fail or annoy with nosy questions which can be expected to be reported back. It's strictly for gaming anyway, everything work-related or private goes on a Linux machine, so the trust issues are kept in check. (This is o/t but hoped to be a useful hint for the lazy.)

...must spread some rep blah blah blah :)

I don't trust Win10 either, but according to Microsoft "Windows 10 are twice much more safer from 7"!
Even 0.20 versus 0.10 isn't a number that can make a difference realy :laugh:
My experience say that Windows 7 it is the most reliable and more stable version of any Windows OS till now, with XP coming next. Thats why in my organization 90% of workstations are running Win7 and 4% are still remaining at XP (I'm refer at about 200+ systems)!

Last edited:
Entropia and laptops just don't go together... too much quickkey bashing can quickly ruin a lot of hardware (especially for us old schoolers that were taught how to type on ancient manual keyboards where the harder you hit the key the more ink poured on to the paper, otherwise it ended up faded and hard to read since the hammer didn't hit the paper hard... )

Entropia and laptops just don't go together... too much quickkey bashing can quickly ruin a lot of hardware (especially for us old schoolers that were taught how to type on ancient manual keyboards where the harder you hit the key the more ink poured on to the paper, otherwise it ended up faded and hard to read since the hammer didn't hit the paper hard... )

That is simply not true. Of course there are builds which are either more or less suitable. Some known brands are very capable. An external keyboard to take the eventual adrenalin overdrive should go without saying. I've been playing Entropia successfully on a laptop which even is clearly below minimum specs, not equipped with a dedicated graphics processor specifically. It means high settings are not possible, but in low it still works. Or used to, that is. Demands seem to have been slowly creeping up over the last couple VUs and it's now finally becoming a problem, but available hardware has also improved as it always does. A replacement which is branded as gaming laptop is underway as we speak. I may report back about the experience if I find anything unusual about it.

Hi Rick,

Not sure if you've tried these below.

***Windows 10 only: (go to)

* Windows settings (click Windows Icon on lower left - looks like a mechanical wheel) > type in "Speaker" in the 'Find a setting' and hit ENTER (from here you can manage your audio devices and adjust system volume or find/fix issues with devices).

* On task bar (sound looking symbol icon - right click it > open 'Sound Setting')... > "Choose your output device" > Check if volume works and then click "Troubleshoot" if no work (scroll down for more options to) > then also go to EU options and check under sound setup for your sound ingame.

* Windows settings > Privacy > (scroll down) Microphone (turn/enable ON - scroll down and select which Apps you want to run with).

Hope the threads from others work for you or the info in here m8.
- Vi

I had this problem with wireless headphones with a mic attached.

This might fix your situation, after opening the game left click on the sound control in the bottom right and check to see what is selected as your sound output. If it is anything "hands-free" or "mic" then go into control panel - sound and disable whatever that output device is. It should then default back to the original sound source.

OMG! Nice necro! Took me till the last post to realize I was reading a >2 year old post lol

Anyway did you ever fix your sound Rick????

:laugh:

Status
Back