Gold Card Announcement

Wow! interesting, how ppl have fantasie, and every critic call whyning... sound like Trump methode.
Just acept that other ppl don't think same as you do.

I don't have paranoia about give out my contact list to an company, but i just don't like it. Where is the problem to say this. Would you like i say, that i like it, but i ever think, whats that for a BS?

A forum is here, to discuss things, not to call ppl whyning, thats supper not constructive! Let's discuss things, not start personal fights!

You're right.
Super constructive approach:

* a full suite of permission including contacts. How in the hell does nobody complain about that? *

Ofc, i will do and i dont like this, if that is true. My contacts are not for MA.

You were actually amazed no one whined about it already. Why would would ppl whine about it? You have the option to not give it away. Don't use the app. Feeling insecure with the account in entropia? You have the option to not use it. Or, use pocket app on a wiped device, with no internet except at the beginning where you install the app. You have options...

A common sense approach: ideally you don't put yourself in the position where if your phone gets stolen your life is screwed up bad.

MA can't monetize on your contact list and probably it's not worth a virtual bottle of sweat, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably part of the basic set of permissions or developers were just lazy (I'm sure this is the case) and sloppy and they didn't care much about this and just wrote some stuff when they set it up.

In response to your message to me in rep, I have not lost my phone nor my house key, no. I haven't actually lost the gold card or key gen either but they were not items I used every day, so when going about my day to day I don't keep them in my purse and are likely left behind during trips.

The point is that since the phone is as ingrained in my daily life as my house key, both come with me wherever I go. When my phone failed I just had to reinstall my app and type in my gen code and I'm back up and running again. When my gold card failed I had to wait for them to send me another one by snail mail and that sucked.

I really do suggest an open mind about it. If you are adamant about not having a smartphone then I think this is part of a bigger lifestyle decision you have made and there's not much more to say on that. These google 2fas have become pretty common so you will be opting out of additional security for any application that chooses to go this route.

You're right.
Super constructive approach:

You were actually amazed no one whined about it already. Why would would ppl whine about it? You have the option to not give it away. Don't use the app. Feeling insecure with the account in entropia? You have the option to not use it. Or, use pocket app on a wiped device, with no internet except at the beginning where you install the app. You have options...

A common sense approach: ideally you don't put yourself in the position where if your phone gets stolen your life is screwed up bad.

MA can't monetize on your contact list and probably it's not worth a virtual bottle of sweat, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably part of the basic set of permissions or developers were just lazy (I'm sure this is the case) and sloppy and they didn't care much about this and just wrote some stuff when they set it up.

So true... and geez, can we not invoke trump is something that isnt necessary? So childish.

gold_card_epitaph.jpg

Stop this lunacy.

:cdevil:

Got my Gold Card and reader for over 10 years now, only had to switch batteries once and besides the occasional error 72 it is working flawlessly.
I got no smartphone, don't need one and I consider it a security risk.
You do not need to lose it to be comprimied, just some social engineering and somebody else gets a sim, registers it with another phone and owns all your stored accounts.
I can understand the move (too costy), but I really would prefer some alternatives.
Would not mind getting myself a Yubikey just for Entropia and this thing could be implemented easily.

I love how nobody in all of this has been like "oh crap I have to buy an IOS device".

:laugh:

I love how nobody in all of this has been like "oh crap I have to buy an IOS device".

:laugh:

They will but let them complain first.They will feel better until they have no options left.

Or, use pocket app on a wiped device, with no internet except at the beginning where you install the app. You have options...

Having your phone stolen or lost is NOT the risk. If that happens, any bad guys have very limited time (like up to 12 hours depending on how much you drunk :silly2:) to find your desktop and hack it.

The real risk is having your devices compromised without your knowledge, in which case they may have weeks to figure things out. And using your phone on the same network your desktop is (which 90+% of people do) sort of defies the purpose of 2FA.

So yes, for people who aren't sure they know what they're doing, an offline device is the way to go.

can we not invoke trump

Okay, but ƏΗ↑ while we're on it.

Last edited:
I dont get the internal bickering that keeps on happening on pcf. MA made a choice. Now every one affected has the right to lend there opinion. MA can then read and decide for themselves what they value each for and how valid it is in there economics vs customer support dilemma. As a forum of supposedly *matured gamers* I would think we are more, well *mature*.

For those who consider themselves as know all's , I propose you read up on Anekantavada so that they can see beyond themselves and perhaps learn to respect other people's opinions in the process.

Peace,

Divinity

There was a thread of amusing pictures of what people would do to protect their Gold Card recently.

I cant find it.

i_like_my_gold_card.jpg

My feelings on something that has worked for over a decade suddenly described as 'obsolete'.

:censored:

I'll use mine till the very last day, and then I cant login because I have to prove who I am again.

Thats totaly stupid out of MA. Gold Card was much better security than any code generator on phone from simple reason. There is much higher chance you will lose your smartphone than gold card secured somewhere in ytour locked home. Not mentioning that there are remote chances that whole new security CAN be compromised , as it is not using 3rd offline devices.

I suspect MA has to cut down costs, Ios/androit app made once is much ceaper than sending gold card to customers. All the rest is crap talk about our good, security and state of the art bulshit.

Mindark, you never had the balls to said truth when you screwed something, and you have great history of wraping up shit into nice coolness

Ye...I am also very very very sad for this announcement...

would be really interested how much costs this would go for monthly???? if there are even some???

i would happily pay 10 per month for keeping the goldcard and paying extra when it would be broken...

-->would be an awesome business idea i guess too....make a poll and if all players are ok with it....the let it as is..

Eddie

Thats totaly stupid out of MA. Gold Card was much better security than any code generator on phone from simple reason. There is much higher chance you will lose your smartphone than gold card secured somewhere in ytour locked home. Not mentioning that there are remote chances that whole new security CAN be compromised , as it is not using 3rd offline devices.

I suspect MA has to cut down costs, Ios/androit app made once is much ceaper than sending gold card to customers. All the rest is crap talk about our good, security and state of the art bulshit.

Mindark, you never had the balls to said truth when you screwed something, and you have great history of wraping up shit into nice coolness

It is not such an remote chance to be compromised
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...wapping-steal-phone-numbers-instagram-bitcoin

Stealing a physical device like the gold card and reader or a Yubikey or a RSA Generator is way more difficult than owning your phone number and connected accounts and passwords.

Link is bad, but you have a point. Sadly, the (lack of) mind-set of most is "it could never happen to me". You know what that sounds like:

"I'll never get mugged"
"I'll never get robbed"
"No one will ever find out what I just tweeted"
"My emails are safe from prying eyes" and on and on and on...

and they'll go, merrily along, downloading app after app, never even caring that the apps are recording EVERYTHING they do, say, type - they'll just say "that's fine - I have nothing to hide."

Then, when they get mugged, robbed, stolen from, cops ( or media) post their tweets/emails/texts/pics on the air, their phones get hacked, their "tap" RFID credit cards get compromised, or worse, they'll just bitch and blame everyone but themselves.

Stupid is as stupid does, and this generation is raised to be good little drones, and as stupid as possible.

• Keep the Gold Card going for those who have it, have good personal security
    (eg a locked drawer & those not related to a thief) and wish to continue to use it.
  • By all means encourage the use of Entropia Pocket, it took time to code and bug test and preferable by many
  • No more Gold Card / readers for those who leave it plugged in 24/7 and kill the batteries :p

rather late to this news, i really cant be faffing around with another app on my phone, especially one rarely used. got half way through the thread i hope someone can confirm, can i just stay with the Gold Card for now/indefinitely until it breaks?

You have about 3 weeks left to make your views known.

Mine are very well known, and I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.

GC is expencive for MA and therefor it will be removed definately as support told me (decision is made no way around)

For those who don´t like it on their all day smartphone (security reasons), there is an easy solution.

Cheap kids android tablet, with a cam (cam needed to activate the app) - cost around 10 € (at least where I live).

Conect this kids tablet to your PC by a cable or conect it to wlan to download/install the app.

Cut the connection (wlan/cable) when app is installed.

Activate the app

Done

This 10 € kids tablet replaces your reader and can be seen as seperated hardware, not connected to anything.

Its as safe as the card reader and card.

Already did that.

I am ok with that.

As some suggested in this thread, I took an iPhone 5 that was unneeded and set it up as an iPod - installed the pocket app and activated it via wifi, then turned that off.

Now it sits next to my mouse, where the Gold Card and reader used to live. Press the home button twice to see the code, then turn it off after login. The biggest plus, I can actually see the numbers. Reading the small numbers from from GC reader had been getting difficult over the years, and I was making mistakes more and more often.

My initial reaction to the news was 'bummed out', but having made the change I'm much happier now. :cool:

Peace, Miles

rather late to this news, i really cant be faffing around with another app on my phone, especially one rarely used. got half way through the thread i hope someone can confirm, can i just stay with the Gold Card for now/indefinitely until it breaks?

No, you won't be able to use it any more after the end of this month.

For those who don´t like it on their all day smartphone (security reasons), there is an easy solution.

Cheap kids android tablet, with a cam (cam needed to activate the app) - cost around 10 € (at least where I live).

You can use google auth if you already have it. Or if you don't want the pocket app for any number of reasons.

This also bypasses the need for the camera though you have to type the code.

This way you can also name the entry something entirely unrelated to EU as well if you like.

This should be the same compatible setup then for the common manufacturer 2fa Apps used on windows device and IoS device. I haven't got anybody to post proof or testing of that though.

step by step:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-Entropia-and-Google-Microsoft-Authenticators

In this way even in the case your device is compromised or physically stolen there's no reference to where they can use that key.

EDIT: also avoids "another app" problem if you have 2fa for anything else.

I think it is fair to say I'm not too popular with MA right now.

But I'm still right on this one. :wise:

arse. i may rage quit but im all outta rage.

Well, easy, just buy 1000$ of ammo and do some hunting.
There you will find some rage again ;)

both systems should be kept, gold card and android pocket, if any will be stop the only thing will happend is the game to loose investors and dedicated players, players who make the game attractive, known and worthwhile for others. So ..is realy not a good move in my personal opinion, is just a loose/loose situation. If the accounts will start to be hacked big time...then you can say 'bye bye' to real investors and medium ones. You do not change a system who works for 15 years, becouse you have costs, you just tax it for who want it, 50-100 ped\month or something.

Last edited:
... You do not change a system who works for 15 years, becouse you have costs, you just tax it for who want it, 50-100 ped\month or something.

This idea had been mentioned before.

But lets be honest, how do you think the forum would have reacted if MA had posted that they would charge 100 ped per month to upkeep the GC?

Yes, F5 type shitstorms!!

People would have rage quited because all of a sudden they had to pay 100 ped/month just to log in?

Dont be foolish and think people would have accepted that.

Some whiners say they would, but I think those whiners would whine even harder if that had been suggested.

Back