Gold Card Announcement

Still using your typewriter to type your letters, right?

Still writing cheques, right?

And I'm fairly sure you still ride your horse to work!

tbh this whole thing annoys me most because everyone these days assumes you must have a smartphone. They are not an essential part of modern life, they're just a tool that not everyone needs.

I have a nokia because what I want from a phone is:

1) Make/receive phone calls.
2) Long battery life
3) Small
4) Won't break if I drop it.

I need nothing more from a phone. Maybe if I didn't work from home I'd need the extra functionality of a smart phone, but I do and I don't.

I have a windows tablet rather than a android/ipad because:

1) It runs windows 10 and therefore is fully compatible with any software I use on my main PCs.
2) I can play EU on it :)

This is not about being unable to change or adapt with technology, it's about choosing and using the technology that works best for me.

Not everyone needs or wants an android/iOS device, and to buy one for the sole act of logging into a game is a complete waste of resources.

I need to get my spectacles so as I can read and announce of this here wireless telegram thingy about my sheer frustration of having to delve into th 20th century, oh wait I have typed too much my arthritis is playing up

tbh this whole thing annoys me most because everyone these days assumes you must have a smartphone. They are not an essential part of modern life, they're just a tool that not everyone needs.

2) Long battery life
3) Small

I need nothing more from a phone. Maybe if I didn't work from home I'd need the extra functionality of a smart phone, but I do and I don't.

1) It runs windows 10 and therefore is fully compatible with any software I use on my main PCs.

This is not about being unable to change or adapt with technology, it's about choosing and using the technology that works best for me.

Not everyone needs or wants an android/iOS device, and to buy one for the sole act of logging into a game is a complete waste of resources.

just buy a freaking old 10$ android phone and only use it for entropia.
Will cost you the same as your gold card reader.

Has someone checked whether the MA 2FA system also works with Google Authenticator or Authy, or is it required to use specifically Entropia Pocket?

I certainly won't use a "smart"phone (anything but, LOL) because I despise them. but then again, I never used the gold card either. I keep hoping nobody cares about my account enough to try to steal it :rolleyes:

Give 2 factor authentication what's deserve it :laugh:

hillbillies_modern1.jpg

Most likely the software in the app is exactly the same or at least works on a similar principle as that in the gold card, just freeing them of dealing with the hardware and associated logistics. I doubt it offers really increased security (would need to define parameters what this means in practice anyway).
Actually, the new system may be easier on the servers than the old? New system generates a new code every minute. Old one did it however many times you stuck the card in the reader, so you could generate quite a few in one minute.

Actually, the new system may be easier on the servers than the old? New system generates a new code every minute. Old one did it however many times you stuck the card in the reader, so you could generate quite a few in one minute.

True that, time-based scales better than sequential, but that would matter only if those seven million Chinese finally arrive. :)

Not many people may do any of those things any more (apart from cheques which are still in relatively common use here in the UK, at least), but they are all still available as an option for those who want to make that choice.

It's not about technophobia. It's about people (customers) liking choice. They don't like being forced to make a change that they feel is unnecessary.

Have you ever had a favourite restaurant remove your favourite dish from the menu? How did you feel?

Even if everyone switches to Pocket (as it seems we will have to), there will be people who are unhappy about the way in which they were forced to. MA may not (immediately) lose customers, but their customers will be less happy. No amount of arrogant "adapt, losers"-type comments will remedy that.

Not many people may do any of those things any more (apart from cheques which are still in relatively common use here in the UK, at least), but they are all still available as an option for those who want to make that choice.

It's not about technophobia. It's about people (customers) liking choice. They don't like being forced to make a change that they feel is unnecessary.

Have you ever had a favourite restaurant remove your favourite dish from the menu? How did you feel?

Even if everyone switches to Pocket (as it seems we will have to), there will be people who are unhappy about the way in which they were forced to. MA may not (immediately) lose customers, but their customers will be less happy. No amount of arrogant "adapt, losers"-type comments will remedy that.

What a load a bullcrap.

Even if MA would make everybody hof all day long people will be unhappy about the way it goes.

Welcome to Whinetropia Universe.
No mater what, you're sure to get your daily portion of complaints.

Jeez, it's like the world has come to an end by stepping forward in technology.

Ah well, I guess we will see a lot less whiners after the card reader finally stops.
Good luck to all you card users with wired dail phones and dial up modems. Go play some tetris instead.

Jeez, it's like the world has come to an end by stepping forward in technology.

It's not about being a technophobe, it's about using the right tech for the job at hand. I have a pad and pen on my desk because it's faster and easier to jot down a note than use my pc.

It's not about being a technophobe, it's about using the right tech for the job at hand. I have a pad and pen on my desk because it's faster and easier to jot down a note than use my pc.

And again I ask, because of some ancient fossils refusing to step forward in time, the whole world should stand still?

cant wait to see the sky falling again in september when everybody and his mother will cash out because of this.

And again I ask, because of some ancient fossils refusing to step forward in time, the whole world should stand still?

cant wait to see the sky falling again in september when everybody and his mother will cash out because of this.

You don't seem to understand that higher tech does not necessarily mean better.

Smartphones are awesome. I remember reading Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy back in 1980 and dreaming that I could own one of those things, and an iphone is even better (except it won't work in a different solar system). But the fact is that I spend 99% of my time at home within reach of one of my 4 PCs, and a smartphone is simply an unnecessary waste.

I don't understand why so many people think, when someone objects to having someone else's way imposed on them, that they automatically want to impose their own on everybody else in turn? It's all about choice and this has been said even here many times, but never seems to sink in. (Disclaimer: I am a happy fossil.)

It won't happen in this case because ceasing to keep a piece of hardware in stock and continue supporting it vis-a-vis cheaper (for the company) available options is a business decision made for economic reasons. Why always turn it into something which it isn't, ideology? Gimme a break.

I also still think it's easier to hack my phone then it is to steal my old GC
And you are 100% correct. Gold Card can't be hacked, a phone can be hacked--the difference is infinite.

Then again, it's highly unlikely any account would be hacked. There's so few EU accounts in the world, it simply doesn't pay to target this security system for a professional hacker and it's good enough to keep all the amateurs away... Relax, it's not the end of the world.

Want to know what was the reason MA decided to switch the security system? Was it for security reasons? Nope. It has nothing to do with security. The new system is cheaper to maintain. That's it. :smoke:

You don't seem to understand that higher tech does not necessarily mean better.

Smartphones are awesome. I remember reading Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy back in 1980 and dreaming that I could own one of those things, and an iphone is even better (except it won't work in a different solar system). But the fact is that I spend 99% of my time at home within reach of one of my 4 PCs, and a smartphone is simply an unnecessary waste.

yes, clear.

If you never leave your home and your 4 pc's, well that's ok with me. It's your given right.
And yes, newer isnt always better. Correct.

But I just don't understand the drama caused by this.

Even if you dont want to use a smartphone, then dont.
The card reader costed what, 250 ped?
Thats 25$.
For that money you can buy yourself an android "card reader" that you can use for other things as well.

How impossible is that?? :scratch2:

And you are 100% correct. Gold Card can't be hacked, a phone can be hacked--the difference is infinite.

Then again, it's highly unlikely any account would be hacked. There's so few EU accounts in the world, it simply doesn't pay to target this security system for a professional hacker and it's good enough to keep all the amateurs away... Relax, it's not the end of the world.

Want to know what was the reason MA decided to switch the security system? Was it for security reasons? Nope. It has nothing to do with security. The new system is cheaper to maintain. That's it. :smoke:

not correct.

A gold card and reader can easily be stolen. And with no further security on it you're fucked.
It doesnt require a pincode or whatsoever.

Because I'm a contrarian who just like an argument :)

not correct.

A gold card and reader can easily be stolen. And with no further security on it you're fucked.
It doesnt require a pincode or whatsoever.

id say my apartment is a lot better secured than my smartphone... and you cant just hack into an apartment. and everyone who tries to enter it without my consent will get to know my katana ;-)

id say my apartment is a lot better secured than my smartphone... and you cant just hack into an apartment. and everyone who tries to enter it without my consent will get to know my katana ;-)

What's the eff rating and dpp of your katana?

You might loot something nice from that burglar!

But don't yell that to loud. My apartment got broken into when I was on holidays.
So you CAN just hack into an apartment. A hammer and screwdriver is all you need.

What's the eff rating and dpp of your katana?

You might loot something nice from that burglar!

But don't yell that to loud. My apartment got broken into when I was on holidays.
So you CAN just hack into an apartment. A hammer and screwdriver is all you need.

well. that can happen but i have a motion sensor alarm and cameras which i can observe from my smartphone and it turns on a loud alarm plus neighbors in the same house that will look when the alarm triggers. everyone would need ot be on holiday then there might happen something but its highly unlikely.

2) Long battery life
3) Small

Agree wholeheartedly ...plus the fact there is no extra expense...In 6 years my account was NEVER hacked..how many accounts have been?...Facts on this subject would be nice..not opinions

well. that can happen but i have a motion sensor alarm and cameras which i can observe from my smartphone and it turns on a loud alarm plus neighbors in the same house that will look when the alarm triggers. everyone would need ot be on holiday then there might happen something but its highly unlikely.

from my smartphone

Security aside ,for me it`s about options suiting more customers

option in swtor and thats not even an RCE
swtor_seq.jpg

I hated the whole concept of transferring from gold card to the phone app thingy.

Now i have, i could never go back to the gold card. The app is simple and easy to use. I always have my phone with me, so i never have a problem of forgetting the the reader. I don't have any more 'Error 72' or whatever it was.

My main issue was security, and not convinced it was secure enough. But to get into my account they would have to have my phone AND on top of that would have to know my password and my email address.

I feel pretty darn safe overall.

Rgds

Ace

i Play EU on 7" GPD Pocket (UMPC)
GC is 1/4 size of my laptop

now im FORCED to buy device that will be 1/2-3/4 size of my laptop

device that can be affected by WIFI , Bluetooth and infrared
device that can be much easily broken

all i see it may be cheaper to MA to maintain

but for END user its downgrade

if you go to bank and ask: What is more safer for receaving confirmation of payment ...
answer will be standart nonsystem button phone

Reactions: San
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've read ~8 pages of this thread and am unclear on something. I played back in PE but never "got into" the game too far, and only just started playing again a week or so ago, and I've been having a lot of fun exploring the new map, and I have decided to actually get into the game this time. I didn't deposit in the past, but I was just about to depo for the first time, and then have fun in EU.

So my question is this: After the pocket update, is there going to be any way to depo/withdraw if we DON'T have a smartphone (and therefore don't use the app?) ... or will we literally be required to own a smartphone to depo/withdraw from now on??

I do not need a smartphone, nor do I wish to own one. I have a cellphone; It is not a smartphone.

Is there going to be any alternative (i.e. through website?) to depo & withdraw?

If not -- or, if I'm only able to depo, and require a smartphone to withdraw -- then I guess I'm not returning to the game after all, since I'll have to quit the game...but hopefully I am just misunderstanding something here.

Ah, you got a smartphone.
So no gold card to be stolen here.

You're safe!

Back