Gold Card Announcement

If you have both entropia pocket and entropia universe on the same pc, that kinda beats the whole purpose of entropia pocket being seperated from pc...

Or if they did a windows version I could load it on my 2nd pc (I have 2 on my desk) or on my windows tablet.

Clearly i'll find a way around this, but given that windows is a relatively common operating system (I've heard of it, maybe you have too) I would have thought they could have made a version to work with windows. If someone wants to run it on the same PC as Entropia then that's their own problem.

btw: MA never said they would be withdrawing the gold card, they said we could continue to use it but we wouldn't be able to get new ones.

Yes this is what I remember too. "no more replacements, issuing or fixing" (which is fine) but indeed they didn't say they would turn off the service!

Most accurate post in this thread..
I also still think it's easier to hack my phone then it is to steal my old GC

it is! First the hackers have to get your gold card (which, if you are sensible, you likely leave at home). With your phone you likely take it everywhere and it is at high risk of being lost, damaged, or stolen

Truth be told, the original gold card system was not that secure in the first place. It was a primitive system at best that often failed and left people locked out of their accounts.

Please provide details of the vulnerabilities you found in the gold card system that made it "not that secure". I'd be quite interested to know what the security issues were.

Note that reliability is not a factor in how secure something is. In fact, if a security system is unreliable in a way that makes it hard to get in, doesn't that make it more secure?

Clearly i'll find a way around this, but given that windows is a relatively common operating system (I've heard of it, maybe you have too) I would have thought they could have made a version to work with windows. If someone wants to run it on the same PC as Entropia then that's their own problem.

btw: MA never said they would be withdrawing the gold card, they said we could continue to use it but we wouldn't be able to get new ones.

"Support for the Gold Card Security system will officially end on September 30, 2018."
What is the need to change something that is working, has been working just fine for years if not for some kind of gain for MA?

Gold card stops working, but for now it's reversible if you remove the Pocket from account.

They work differently. With the pocket you can't generate a list of codes to use without the card, it's always realtime (30 sec per code or so). And if you mistyped a code or failed to login because "already logged in", you have to wait until it expires and the next one generated.

How come you always provide better, more detailed and accurate information than MindArk do? :D

Just in case you want to change that 30 September 2018 date which is 72 working days from now.

Such a bad idea. Hackers are getting very skilled at compromising phone based 2FA systems.

So which of the below is the reason?

1. MA sees facebook and co making $$$ harvesting user data from cell phones and wants in on that action.

2. High level executive has ownership/investments in the company that supports entropia pocket for MA.

3. Licensing fees for the gold card are getting too high or no longer available.

4. Aliens.

I vote for 1 and 3 and adding:

5. MA don't have enough resources to support two security systems

I have contacted support asked for keeping GC system.

Everybody who like the GC system should do the same.

Here Here! Or simply not log in after it gets removed.

What happens if you're phone gets stolen? Can your account be compromised?

What we need is some sort of inexpensive hardware device that served only one purpose and could be securely left at home (unlike your phone that you need with you these days). This way, it would only get stolen if someone broke into your home....

now why didn't MA think of that years ago... (all together now) oh wait.... THEY DID! :eyecrazy:

If we have to do it, there's no point in arguing about it, I just want to make sure it's a seamless transfer.

You have heard of Mindark right? When is anything they do ever seamless? Even the map has seams :D

its not been mentioned in this thread, but i have mentioned it in the past

the pocket app isn't required, all it is, is a re-skined authenticator app. on my old W10 phone i just installed MS authenticator and followed the steps, EU works 100%. you can download either google or MS on all smartphones, can even download 3rd party versions for chrome and windows 10. but ofc security is a question there

i now use Android and the pocket app, fingerprint access to prevent the app been opened and android apps are sandboxed so other apps can't read them

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ack-security-of-one-billion-accounts-breached

One of those ^ was mine.

Fortunately it wasn't the main one I used, but they could still have stolen identity from that, and I did suffer from spam Txt messages and calls to a private line after that date which I didn't previously.

When I read about the Gold Card removal in a previous announcement, I read it as no longer being offered, not the removal of long term players being able to log in using it.

Mindark have sometimes altered decisions based on feedback from the playerbase, I hope they do so on this occasion.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ack-security-of-one-billion-accounts-breached

One of those ^ was mine.

Fortunately it wasn't the main one I used, but they could still have stolen identity from that, and I did suffer from spam Txt messages and calls to a private line after that date which I didn't previously.

When I read about the Gold Card removal in a previous announcement, I read it as no longer being offered, not the removal of long term players being able to log in using it.

Mindark have sometimes altered decisions based on feedback from the playerbase, I hope they do so on this occasion.

Holds breath... dies... :silly2:

Nah seriously. The only thing we can do is voice our dissent, even though MA be like:

johnny_can_t_hear_you_by_tomboy821-d66dxcz.png

I might add this in response though:

1513326_10201456396359204_325539440_n.jpg

Last edited:
It will be nice if MA sended all GC users FORCED to change some of those cheap android phones , whit only one app instaled ... but yeah will never happend

oh well since change i will never see again avatar already loged in try later .....
cause before i boot up that smart phone and run app .......

i will prefer still using GC before having smartphone for just one app
as im happy owner of standart phone .....hard to find words....

NOT a happy custommer here

It will be nice if MA sended all GC users FORCED to change some of those cheap android phones , whit only one app instaled ... but yeah will never happend

oh well since change i will never see again avatar already loged in try later .....

Picture Protest here: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...f-your-Gold-Card-if-you-want-to-keep-using-it!

Far as i know, you can still use an android emulator like memu. But as for the hardware, it is time to move on. 2FA is here and here to stay. Using hardware systems is expensive to support and ship around the globe and it is likely that the cost for the continued support from the folks who actually do the behind the scenes work for the GC is too costly.

For all other systems, banking and otherwise, you are being given the option to use 2FA or not (this using google authenticator in the back end of the app as does most apps these days). Don't be one of those that are resistant to change.. this was a thing years ago.

Or if they did a windows version I could load it on my 2nd pc (I have 2 on my desk) or on my windows tablet.

Not tried it, but you can always use an emulator: http://www.memuplay.com/blog/2018/01/29/memu-5-0-1-released/

I have a strong feeling that MA is doing this for their benefit, not ours

As someone who works in the application support IT world, I can say that it is not entirely their benefit but it is also maintainability. GC is old tech. I would not support old tech and we shouldn't be holding onto it for dear life. Let's be honest, for most of you it is a security blanket and for some it is remnants of PE that you want to hold onto. For others it is because you are unfamiliar with 2FA systems and you may never will. However from a support standpoint, it is Mindark's job to advance the technology that they maintain and support and now that they have 2 systems that do the same thing, it is time to consolidate it into one - for which they already gave you 18 months notice. There isn't a surprise. There is no reason to have outrage. You already knew this was coming.

There are many options to get this 2FA pocket app. You can buy a cheap $30 phone with no cell service, because you don't need it - hook it up only to your wifi OR you can use an android emulator that runs any android application on your PC. Pick one. Let's stay in the realm of reason.

Last edited:
Why just not a windows version too? if they have a IOS version, then they just need to compile it for windows. The game run windows, but for enter you need a os more... :scratch2:

Not tried it, but you can always use an emulator: http://www.memuplay.com/blog/2018/01/29/memu-5-0-1-released/

As someone who works in the application support IT world, I can say that it is not entirely their benefit but it is also maintainability. GC is old tech. I would not support old tech and we shouldn't be holding onto it for dear life. Let's be honest, for most of you it is a security blanket and for some it is remnants of PE that you want to hold onto. For others it is because you are unfamiliar with 2FA systems and you may never will. However from a support standpoint, it is Mindark's job to advance the technology that they maintain and support and now that they have 2 systems that do the same thing, it is time to consolidate it into one - for which they already gave you 18 months notice. There isn't a surprise. There is no reason to have outrage. You already knew this was coming.

There are many options to get this 2FA pocket app. You can buy a cheap $30 phone with no cell service, because you don't need it - hook it up only to your wifi OR you can use an android emulator that runs any android application on your PC. Pick one. Let's stay in the realm of reason.

You can stay in the realm of 'smartarse'

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/23/stol...fter-they-are-cancelled-banks-reveal-7338019/

From 1 October I don't have a security system I trust for my money in Entropia.

If MA want to push ahead with this I'd encourage them to make it end of 2018. It would give them enough time to see how popular it was.

Windows 8.0 popular.

Last edited:
posting before all the ragers get in here and threaten to quit before depositing a couple thousand more USD.

When I read you message I thought: "wth, ppl can't rage over this thing, especially since it's a positive thing.." boy was I wrong, eh? No matter what someone says, there will be people to rage about it, to get offended by it... :laugh:

I bet that if MA would post an announce one day to say something along the lines: "it's a nice day outside and you are awesome, thank you for being here" - there will be plenty to be super mad about it, because, ofc, the business of which they are clients, has a hidden interest to get more profit from them.

No one is forcing you to do anything, relax guys.

If 200-300 ped device for increased security is too much, then maybe you don't have a good reason to protect your game account with two factor auth.
If you're afraid someone will steal information from you while you turn on the internet to download the app, then someone has to remind you that you are playing an online video game? They already have ALL your relevant data.

Most likely the GC system is not very efficient compared to the new one so it's a good step for them so a good step for the game. If you got emotionally attached to the GC, it's OK, no one is taking it away! Everything will be fine!

No one is forcing you to do anything, relax guys.

If 200-300 ped device for increased security is too much, then maybe you don't have a good reason to protect your game account with two factor auth.
If you're afraid someone will steal information from you while you turn on the internet to download the app, then someone has to remind you that you are playing an online video game? They already have ALL your relevant data.

Most likely the GC system is not very efficient compared to the new one so it's a good step for them so a good step for the game. If you got emotionally attached to the GC, it's OK, no one is taking it away! Everything will be fine!

Do you know who you sound like ?

Last edited:
I particularly love the whole "going to suck being FORCED TO WITHDRAW THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS" over not getting a device that people are throwing away every day.

Offer $5 equivalent in your local advertisements. Somebody will be happy to sell you one.

Cheaper than a gold card for all around let's have that (MA's costs) back in the loot pool.

When I read ......

If 200-300 ped device for increased security is ......

The problem is not the new system but the fact that it is only for ios and android. A lot ppl miss a window system. My smarthphon is win 10 lumia, and i don't plan to buy a phone more, just to have access to a game, and have to take care about a battery more to be loaded and working. It is realy not a big thing to compile that freaking code for win10 too. If so, 98% of us all would be happy and don't post any critic here.

The problem is not the new system but the fact that it is only for ios and android. A lot ppl miss a window system. My smarthphon is win 10 lumia, and i don't plan to buy a phone more, just to have access to a game, and have to take care about a battery more to be loaded and working. It is realy not a big thing to compile that freaking code for win10 too. If so, 98% of us all would be happy and don't post any critic here.

Hmm right I've never really seen you as a complainer anyways.

its not been mentioned in this thread, but i have mentioned it in the past

the pocket app isn't required, all it is, is a re-skined authenticator app. on my old W10 phone i just installed MS authenticator and followed the steps, EU works 100%. you can download either google or MS on all smartphones, can even download 3rd party versions for chrome and windows 10. but ofc security is a question there

i now use Android and the pocket app, fingerprint access to prevent the app been opened and android apps are sandboxed so other apps can't read them

This might have gotten missed in the thread but this would make perfect sense that the company MA hires to do their smartphone apps is not going to invent a better system than these major players have agreed to.

I don't have the hardware to try this but if the 16 digit code is usable in a "standard" 2fa app then this should be ok.

Also the standard authenticator wouldn't necessarily indicate what the key is for if you can name it, which I think I did in google authenticator.

I have zero interest in entropia pocket but might enable 2fa with google auth since I already have been forced to accept it for financial business.

EDIT: HA this thread got my first neg rep in YEARS and not from trance, either.

Last edited:
What I have a problem with, is the forced connectivity risks..

In IT security, there are several security 'levels'

1. The easiest: wireless devices
Why? Because you can virtually access them from either any place on the planet, or from within wifi or cellphone range. They are very hackable you know...
You do not need to know its IP's or connectivity data, since you can just scan for them when you are within range.

2. Medium difficulty: wired devices
Sure it is possible to find access to wired devices, but it is a next level of difficulty to find them, and access them. Also many of them have at least some basic router and/or firewall protection.

3. Hard: Decent protected wired devices
Multi layered soft- and hardware firewalls with modern protection packages, invisible and no open ports, zero tolerance rules.
As they say in Australia, goodluck m8, you'll need it to get in

4. Extremely hard: offline devices
You will need physical access to get into these. Offline laptops can be one of these, but the wireless chips have to be removed.
GC was the ultimate offline device. Most banks use a similar system today! (with card and reader)

If this were a vote, I would take the option 'give the people the option to use it on windows and linux as well', ofc WITH some kind of pin-code before getting a code.

And pls forget about getting a second phone and 'deactivating' the wifi or sim-connectivity. That's only a software layer, and it can easily be conquered. Believe me if I say it is possible to access tablets or 'smart'phones that have wifi etc disabled. The only way to make third party access impossible to those devices is by removing the battery.

Last edited:
android phone 33 euro from wish. 4 gb ram, 32 gb storage. would fit the one app entropia pocket.

https://www.wish.com/search/phone#cid=5b0e8ba01578bf53a8bb7b8e

I am sure if you dig harder, you can get a cheaper one. Probably one that's cheaper than 200 peds (which was the cost for the original gold card)

Yea seriously you don't need a phone a cheep tablet will do. I just think people that PAID for gold cards should get something back in return for it being made obsolete. I'd be happy with universal ammo but something special and nostalgic would be nice too. What would be cool is a ingame gold card that you need to enter an instance and you could trade them.

The misnomer here is that new Tech equates with better Tech...Not necessarily so...New tech usually means easily hack-able tech until it has been time (long time... pun intended :) ) tested and used...In the case of MA we are all familiar with the foul ups created by half ass implementation...Also...to some of you buying a "throw away" phone may not be a big deal...but to others it can mean that extra tank of gas, having lunch with a loved one..etc Old tech that is still working as intended does not need to be replaced just because it can be

Hell, the argument that new tech is better flies in the face of the game itself...EU, afterall, is 16 years old :p

Last edited:

Hell, the argument that new tech is better flies in the face of the game itself...EU, afterall, is 16 years old :p

I seem to recall something about a change to the technology of the game in that time.

I don't know a couple of people thought it was a big deal. Most of the stuff is back now though.

Anyways the arguments about hardware 2fa vs software 2fa are old hat. They each have some pros and some cons, but one is massively more accessible than the other. It'd like arguing whether a steel dead bolt is better than a brass dead bolt.

Brass will let more people have dead bolts.

The cost of maintaining the facilities to produce steel dead bolts will soon be too much to maintain for the small number of customers willing to pay the premium over the long term.

This isn't a new announcement, or a new tool, or "untried technology". They did announce this and it's been in use since two years ago.

How much do we pay for them to acquire the facilities/expertise to maintain gold card and reader production in house? Is it still commodity tech? I'm not sure if or how soon that is a valid argument in their current, actual situation, but it exists.

There will be transitional issues. It's harsh but right now if you don't have regular access to an android or ios device you're in a pretty small minority, and it's a matter of personal choice. You deal with this problem all the time. And you have your reasons, I'm sure.

Still it's a bit like listening to an emo vegan go on about how 99% of humanity in all history are cruel monsters for eating meat.

Back