Gold Card Announcement

Bunch drama queens

<url cut>

Problem solved , next

LOL i thought it was going to be an authenticator app but just affiliate spam for another gaming site.

Not realy bluestack - is android emulator

ahh thanks for the clarification I just saw a thousand flash games and affiliate signup banner and bugged out.

figured your statement was basically "go somewhere else" lol

This forum is like 90% drama queens. I ain't hidin'

This is what happens when nothing new/important is actually broken this week.

Just remember that only ONE android device, including emulator if you can get it to work, is all you are allowed to use with the new system... Support can fix it if your device dies, or whatnot, but it's not a quick and easy fix.

Yea seriously you don't need a phone a cheep tablet will do. I just think people that PAID for gold cards should get something back in return for it being made obsolete. I'd be happy with universal ammo but something special and nostalgic would be nice too. What would be cool is a ingame gold card that you need to enter an instance and you could trade them.

even those that didn't pay should get something back since it was originally marketed that if you deposit x amount you get this 15.00 gold card for 'free'.... now it's going to be an obsolete item. Wonder if something like will have any impact on the regulators that are being asked to approve Mindbank and make it a reality?

This is really a terrible idea. But i guess its about saving money. Bad sign.

GOLD card has such a good track record. Money should not be a reason to stop supporting it.
Its not like Windows XP which had shit ton of security flaws.

Someone should do a petition. I’m sure a LOT of ppl including me will vote no!

As far as I am aware, there is not a single documented case of an Entropia account that used the Gold Card system having been hacked or otherwise compromised.

That's a pretty damned good track record for a "primitive system" that has been in use for well over 10 years.

Not like those types of cases would be broadcast for all to see I'm sure lol

Perhaps I didn't quite mean that is was insecure but more that the system was primitive in comparison to how second tier authentication is handled these days in terms of function and reliability (not so much security). There were flaws in it's design where people could subverted the security feature by just generating a list of codes in advance using codes from that list to login rather the ones directly from the card reader. You could keep a text file on your computer or phone (for virtual tycoon) so you could login despite having your gold card.

I don't even think the system took into account time based code generation either. As far as I could tell, is was just a list of predefined codes that could work to log into your account. Maybe 1000 or so 1-time codes out of a possible 1,000,000 and the security was more in the odds of guessing one of those codes before you account got locked from too many failed code entries. That's why they also warned not to just generate codes constantly - my guess is there was always a risk of running out of valid codes and needing to get a new gold card issued if you logged in too much.

Additionally, the reliability wasn't all that great. The issues I was referring to usually involved the card reader throwing an error 72 constantly and when the battery would die in the reader leaving the person screwed even when trying log in to contact support about the problem.

Even their new app has it's flaws too - I would think a better system would be to just text a one time code to the phone number or email on your account when trying to log in should you have 2-tier authentication enabled. Why need a full blown app that has to be updated all the time to support endless mobile devices and where there is the risks of peoples phones falling toilets and sync issues...etc? Personally I think it's overkill for what it needs to accomplish. A minimum password strength requirement on accounts and onetime code texts would work just fine securing peoples accounts.

Most likely the GC system is not very efficient compared to the new one so it's a good step for them so a good step for the game. If you got emotionally attached to the GC, it's OK, no one is taking it away! Everything will be fine!
Most likely the software in the app is exactly the same or at least works on a similar principle as that in the gold card, just freeing them of dealing with the hardware and associated logistics. I doubt it offers really increased security (would need to define parameters what this means in practice anyway).

I never understood people's fondness for the flimsy GC. Totally not nice the complaints of those for whom it was failing got forever heckled by those who had no trouble with it. I got mine for free when my lifetime depos exceeded a threshold but never activated it because it was already creaking and bending just taking it out of the package. It clearly wasn't made to last, those that did got lucky or had to guard it like their eyeball.

I assume that simple username and password will remain a possible choice. Or if you ever have a device failure, that you can fall back to it. No, it is not "nothing". They don't store passwords unencrypted or in a simple MD5 hash of which vast databases for reverse lookup exist. Or do they?

Bunch drama queens

https://www.bluestacks.com

Problem solved , next

ye! enjoy that security "black hole" and advertising/tracking fest in your system ;)
if anyone NEED to use an emulator I will not suggest to use this BS!
Security doesn't go together with an emulator use.

Most likely the software in the app is exactly the same or at least works on a similar principle as that in the gold card, just freeing them of dealing with the hardware and associated logistics. I doubt it offers really increased security (would need to define parameters what this means in practice anyway).

I didn't say increased security. I said more efficient and I was thinking of reduced cost involved.
A normal person, with all the circuits in their brain working, will consider this as a positive thing and not as a "bad sign"...

I didn't say increased security. I said more efficient and I was thinking of reduced cost involved.
A normal person, with all the circuits in their brain working, will consider this as a positive thing and not as a "bad sign"...

I didn't say "bad sign" or anything to that tune. Reduced cost for them I did say, so we're on the same page. Increased security is a claim floating around, I was unclear in my expression that it was not solely a direct response. And you're falling back to your vices, for a while it looked like there was improvement.

Here Here! Or simply not log in after it gets removed.

What a bad idea, my account has value of several thousand $, guess why I own the GC security.

For a pure sweater account I wouldn´t need that!

I didn't say "bad sign" or anything to that tune. Reduced cost for them I did say, so we're on the same page. Increased security is a claim floating around, I was unclear in my expression that it was not solely a direct response. And you're falling back to your vices, for a while it looked like there was improvement.

I corrected you but I was referring to Sub-zero's opinion with the bad sign and I'm sure he's not the only one thinking this is signaling the end of the game and the world it seems....

This is really a terrible idea. But i guess its about saving money. Bad sign.

GOLD card has such a good track record. Money should not be a reason to stop supporting it.
Its not like Windows XP which had shit ton of security flaws.

Someone should do a petition. I’m sure a LOT of ppl including me will vote no!

But now that you got offended early in the day, San, you can check that on your list and move on

Reactions: San
Not to dismiss anyone's concern, but it is surprising the number of technophobes playing a video game...

Not to dismiss anyone's concern, but it is surprising the number of technophobes playing a video game...
I don't think it is technophobic to scrutinize the risk vs. utility of anything newly introduced. Especially anything security-related. A lot of these things purport to solve problems you never had without them. Laziness, unattentiveness and social hacking were always the biggest risks to account security and tackling them by technology alone is a band-aid but no real solution. But people are screaming for it, so it's what they get.

ye! enjoy that security "black hole" and advertising/tracking fest in your system ;)
if anyone NEED to use an emulator I will not suggest to use this BS!
Security doesn't go together with an emulator use.
This needs to be repeated. The idea, especially on the same machine with the game which most people would likely choose to do, is about as retarded as it gets. Plus in the case of the recommended Bluestacks, unless you get a paid subscription, which those new to it or have no other use for it are unlikely to do, it keeps downloading you advertisements constantly. How secure is that? I don't really know what to say here.

I don't like this :(

My Gold Card and reader from 2008 still works fine and now MA is forcing me to contact them and authenticate my identity.... Who knows how long it will take to get me switched over... I've seen threads in this very forum of players who waited weeks to be authenticated and have their accounts unlocked...

I'm worried about disrupted access to my account as a result, and since I have 5 shops all across the Entropia universe, I really can't afford to go a week without having access.

Those already using the Gold Card Security System may continue to do so, but this system may not be available for purchase in the future. 2016 post mindark

Keep gold card system for those that have gold card already and just remove the purchase feature

I had to verify my account for other reason and it was done within a day. I dont see why anyone would get locked.

The app works nice , but for those who doesnt have a compatible smartphone someone could build av hyperv or vmware machine which could be booted and contains a emulator and that app.
Ive used the app in an emulator, but cannot export the vm to public because of some reasons.

The app works nice , but for those who doesnt have a compatible smartphone someone could build av hyperv or vmware machine which could be booted and contains a emulator and that app.
Ive used the app in an emulator, but cannot export the vm to public because of some reasons.

tbf any device that can run some kind of remote connection can download either pocket or Microsoft/Google authenticatior

GOLD card has such a good track record. ..

:laugh:

error

error

where's my card?

error

Damn, my card broken, how to get a new one?

error

Try searching the forum for " gold card" and see how many threads have been created about issues in regards to the gold card.

Happy to get rid of it! :wtg:

I will keep using my gold card until September 30, 2018 midnight !!!

Who feels with me ?! :wtg: :laugh:

Q: on how many systems/phones can i run the app simultanusly?

i dont wanna use my phone to log into a game. I wanna keep my goldcard

im ready to pay for it even.

bad bad idea

Still using your typewriter to type your letters, right?

Still writing cheques, right?

And I'm fairly sure you still ride your horse to work!

thats my choice, i hate phones and social media, makes zombies

also i dont have an option to make my ID digital and i dont want that either.

this game is full with old people, and guess who pays the bills.

If you cant understand that you have a really narrow view, maybe thats because of all that facebook shit.

thats my choice, i hate phones and social media, makes zombies

also i dont have an option to make my ID digital and i dont want that either.

this game is full with old people, and guess who pays the bills.

If you cant understand that you have a really narrow view, maybe thats because of all that facebook shit.

Indeed. it's YOUR choice.
(And yes, I do agree with the side effects of smart phone use. Hence I dont do fart book or shit like that)

So, it's your choice not to accept any other things as your gold card.

But because YOU hate the side effects of smart phones, the world should just stop innovating and progressing?

PS, dont get me wrong, I'm also old and extremely conservative but sometimes, just sometimes, you should try to adapt :D

Indeed. it's YOUR choice.
(And yes, I do agree with the side effects of smart phone use. Hence I dont do fart book or shit like that)

So, it's your choice not to accept any other things as your gold card.

But because YOU hate the side effects of smart phones, the world should just stop innovating and progressing?

PS, dont get me wrong, I'm also old and extremely conservative but sometimes, just sometimes, you should try to adapt :D

no, im gonna sell out

i refuse

gl all

Not successive similarities here i think.
Gold Card isn't that old, it is very robust in security and of course easy to use for the majority of users in here. Also, and from my point of view, isn't so common to the market (as far i know). So was and still is unlike to be exposed to hack practicies.
I'm one of those who will keep using it.

Back