Massive amount of resource types: A fluke, something common or something new?

Pretto Loco

Dominant
Society
Freelancer
Pretto Loco Believingson
Hi!

I went out mining on an LA I use to mine on the other day. I am not telling where (I dont want to name and shame the owner of the LA). This took me back to the bad bad BAD mining on Arkadia in 2013 when they could have more than 20 resource types in one area. The community over there cried out loud and it resulted in a total overhaul of the Arkadian resource distribution and amount of resource types in same area. Chris motivated this with:

Chris | Arkadia said:
Hi CyberPunk.

Sorry that the resource locations had to change on the planet again but this change was needed in order to sort out the mining on Arkadia that was a big mess and even more so after we had to add in the shared platform resources. Far to many small stacks of different resources was found in a single mining run and was not viable for the average player to build up a decent stack that can be auctioned. Due to the requirement to have something for all levels of miners and the need to reduce the amount of different resources in a area while maintaining the current resource list, the only option was to completely reshuffle and rebuild the distribution from the ground up. With the new distribution its quite simple to build up a resource map now compared to in the past.

Regards,

Chris

Original post on Arkadia forum here.

In 13-05-11 I had the following on a run on Arkadia in an area:
Angelic Grit
Azzurdite Stone
Banite Stones
Belkar Stone
Cobalt Stone
Durulium Stone
Edres Resin
Force Nexus
Frigulite Stone
Ganganite Stone
Garcen Grease
Gazzurdite Stone
Hydrogen Steam
Iron Stone
Magerian Mist
Megan Stone
Narcanisum Stone
Ospra Stones
Pel Crystals
Quil Rubber
Solis Beans
Telfium Stones
Xelo Haze
Yulerium Stones
Zinc Stone

Number of resources: 25
Probes: 150 ped

It was impossible to gather big enough stacks.

Now, Say whatever you want about Calypso but I have never experienced it here, until the other day.
On this LA I got the following (refined) in ped:

Adomasite Ingot: 6,1
Alicenies Gel: 1,65
Angelic Flakes: 3,00
Antimagnetic oil: 2,00
Ares Powder: 7,80
Azzurdite Ingot: 4,8
Belkar Ingot: 12,9
Binary Energy: 3,00
Blausariam Ingot: 5,76
Caldorite ingot: 12,24
Copper Ingot: 9,44
Cumbriz Ingot: 2,85
Erdorium Ingot: 3,6
Garcen Lubricant: 1,70
Gold Ingot: 2
Lysterium Ingot: 5,22
Lytairian Powder: 5,51
Magerian Spray: 1,50
Narcanisum Ingot: 8,64
Oil: 1,44
Putty: 5,46
Root Acid : 4,16
Solis Paste: 3,90
Terrudite Ingot: 2,2
Zinc Ingot: 1,4

Number of resources: 25
Probes: 150 ped
TT return: 118 ped

On the runs I did on Arkadia before the change I had on average of 19 resource types/area. After the change, 10 types. And personally I think this is a good max average number of resources in an area.

I think the Calypso owners really should look over this and seriously ponder why Arkadia changed this and if this is also a change that Calypso needs.

Has anyone else experienced this on Calypso?

Added: Has to be a fluke. In 17 areas I mined in on Calypso the average number of resource types are 10,69 types. Or something new.

Last edited:
budget my friend

Reactions: das
It's just that resource areas do not equal land areas. And they shouldn't because if you take knowledge out of it only numb grind will be left.

You've in fact been to three different areas. The part where you found erdorium, belkar and lytairian also has azur, ignisium and most times the best MU overall. It stretches all the way to the northern coast where you can find all the same stuff without paying taxes.

Making all servers have server-wide spawns like on Arkadia would negatively affect what little is left of MU.

This adds to my problem of dropping for multiple resource types in the "new" finder design.

Another subtle ped grab for MA every time i don't think about the diff in my ore and enmat mining skill on the f-105.

I don't know for sure but I think that if there are some spots with a lot of overlap on ore or enmat spawns, it's OK.

If enough people were playing we'd have street traders again to help with these small stacks. Currently it's a matter of budget/bankroll for sure. This dynamic affects all professions and it's very intentional here in the RCE.

Just get it cleaned up a little bit too much and you will find nobody buying stacks any more. Right now it's ridiculous to grind for a specific resource you need. If you could just go mine up reasonable stacks of your desired resources I would mine for my own crafting supplies.

So yeah, I think that having 5-10 types of EACH RESOURCE TYPE in an are is reasonable, and clouds the waters enough for mining to stay viable as a separate profession, and not something hunters/crafters do to get specific resources.

What you have posted falls at the high end of this range but still seems reasonable. It's definitely not like this all over and having a few spots like this is fine. Relevant skills and know-how for a "pro" miner include knowing when and where to mine for only one type of resource, among other things.

"Budget" means using your money wisely, not just depositing more. Especially with the helpful community over at LBML you can pretty readily look at a map and decide what you want to do in an area like this.

In EU "blast out PEDS as much/fast as possible" is considered a legit style of gameplay. But it's high risk, and definitely going to pay off for you better in hunting than in planetside mining. In planetside mining shrewd management of your time and probes is your friend.

If you want limited resources and a setup to cater to this style of gameplay where there's no subtlety and MA has set it up for PED-blasting you should go into the "indoor" mining areas I think.

:twocents:

If enough people were playing we'd have street traders again to help with these small stacks.

We do have street traders. Just that the best of them work for an hour or two every day, sometimes even less. When Arvin is trading, there's even a line in Twin Peaks.

We do have street traders. Just that the best of them work for an hour or two every day, sometimes even less. When Arvin is trading, there's even a line in Twin Peaks.

There was a time when you would TP to twins and have 2-5 lines to choose from. Sometimes I waited through 2 or 3 of them to get best prices since some preferred ores, some oils, some enmats, etc...

There came to be such outrage due to the activities of some people (that were mostly in auction anyways) that anyone calling themselves a "trader" in EU pretty much got shunned as a scalper/reseller for a looong time.

That together with the chat changes seems to have wiped out the profession. I'm rarely looking for the service these days but it's good to know there's somebody out there keeping it alive. This is truly one of the few win/win situations available to players in EU.

It's always ironic how hard a human will stab themselves in the back just to ensure that someone else doesn't benefit.

You've in fact been to three different areas. The part where you found erdorium, belkar and lytairian also has azur, ignisium and most times the best MU overall. It stretches all the way to the northern coast where you can find all the same stuff without paying taxes.

Sounds like a plausible answer but the run I had before this I had 14 resource types in same area. How can the amount of resource types increase by 11 a few days later when at the same time you get a total shit return?

Yea I know, statistics! :rolleyes: I just found this to be way to high volatility. Even if it was just a comparison between two runs.

As most have seen lots have changed in mining lately and I really think its for the better and yes lot's of resources changed places or are harder to find.

Lots of MU's are going up cause miners find less, I see it as economics re-balancing. Mining big/huge stacks of some certain resources will only make the % drop more, now it is the other way around so I'm happy with it.

For the amount of different resources to be find it is very easy to check on the LBML maps.
Having lots of different resources on the same zone/server also gives you less change of loosing peds, since you still can find a lot.

For a starting miner it might be better to only mine a few different resources, but here again, that's up to you and knowing where you want to mine.

There where always lots of different resources, that didn't change, you just need more different places to find a decent amount (again this is good for the %)

Edit : When doing 150 drops over such a large area (like 3-4 dif servers) then its more than normal to get that many different resources.

MA are the Borg, we need to adapt

Last edited:
Sounds like a plausible answer but the run I had before this I had 14 resource types in same area. How can the amount of resource types increase by 11 a few days later when at the same time you get a total shit return?

Yea I know, statistics! :rolleyes: I just found this to be way to high volatility. Even if it was just a comparison between two runs.

Hey I'm bored so, I made a picture. No offense intended if you already understand this but it's not just statistics it's about how things are mapped as well so maybe this can help someone reading.

Thisis a sample of 1 server with three resource fields and 2 LAs. It's not taken from the EU map I drew it in paint to simplify the point.

For this example we can assume that each resource field contains 5 types of enmatter and 5 types of ore. I know this can vary but we're keeping this simple.

You can see that this server has a lot of resources. Still if you 100% cover and map LA 01 this LA will only ever provide 10 types of resource.

In LA 02, on a good day, if you carpet bomb the whole LA with double drops you can walk away with 30 different resource types. Me it feels like I could mine LA 02 in that example and probably be lucky to find 3-4 things. So this is the crunch point where the bit of statistics does come into play when you compare day to day results.

Now TBH i think the public LBML maps are only going to tell you that there are 15 ores and 15 enmats on this server. And that would be an awful server to mine on but you know, for the example. An experienced miner tracking their own drops could probably break it down further for you.

I'm not sure what level of detail you could eventually get through LBML because I don't use it.

So this is just to show how the layers work for those that don't understand that part and also to point out how mapping resource areas or mining runs by land area boundaries can be misleading a little bit.

I'm not sure what level of detail you could eventually get through LBML because I don't use it.

It really only tracks what you find and where, but I export that data into mapping programs like ArcGIS and QGIS and create a map of average MU for each point in the server. When you have major differences in MU, it basically looks like your picture where one revival zone might average near 130%, but once you leave, it drops down to near 105% in the next zone.

I don't think there's anything else like LBML that can log your find locations, so if you're interested in mapping claims at all, it's definitely worth setting up.

Back