Suggestion: Making mining more fun

Divinity

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Divinity Deth Undefined
Having been a hardcore miner for a month or so I would like the developers to consider an improvement which i feel most miners would welcome.

I have been enjoying mining and i feel that the boring part to it is rather the extraction of the claim. There are various ways in which this can be solved

a. Make it like refining wherein the entire thing gets extracted in one go and the cost deducted from the extractor tt. Only the amount which can be drilled upto minimum tt of the drill should be done at a time after which u need to repair the extractor first before u drill up the rest. Skills can be given according to tt spent etc as well. So basically same as now just faster.

b. Make the mining deeds tradeable and put the exact amount on the deed itself. This can be done either by making the tt of the deed equivalent to the actual size of the claim or just putting it there alongside the various other information that is already there (like size/type/position). What this does is allow a whole new level of employment to happen within entropia and i think would be good for people who currently sweat etc to do something more worthwhile and fun.

I am not sure how tough/easy this would be from an implementation point of view but will definitely increase turnover and make mining way more fun than it is.

Another Offtopic suggestion

1. Kindly make 2 hours a minimum on the mining claim period as when i go mining i have to stop mid way to take out claims and i think 1 hour for < size IX can be increased to 2 hours without any issue.

Last edited:
I prefer the one shot extraction that would save hours of my life lol.

I like the idea of tradable deeds too but see a few complicatins.
As the new owner of the claim I wont want to spend much peds extracting it. If it did MU would drop even lower.
It may also be that deeds are way out in the middle of nowhere.
You then have to factor in the cost to reach the claim. Can often be 2-3 jumps from the nearest tp

I know what you mean about extracting though, I tend now to pick it all up as i go along now, bar globals or growth.
Reason being that when I get back to the claims ive left an hr or more I usually have a nice collection of mobs all over it. You can drive back, recall it and wait 30 seconds or it takes 30 seconds whilst you were there in the first place.

Having been a hardcore miner for a month or so I would like the developers to consider an improvement which i feel most miners would welcome.

I have been enjoying mining and i feel that the boring part to it is rather the extraction of the claim. There are various ways in which this can be solved

a. Make it like refining wherein the entire thing gets extracted in one go and the cost deducted from the extractor tt. Only the amount which can be drilled upto minimum tt of the drill should be done at a time after which u need to repair the extractor first before u drill up the rest. Skills can be given according to tt spent etc as well. So basically same as now just faster.

b. Make the mining deeds tradeable and put the exact amount on the deed itself. This can be done either by making the tt of the deed equivalent to the actual size of the claim or just putting it there alongside the various other information that is already there (like size/type/position). What this does is allow a whole new level of employment to happen within entropia and i think would be good for people who currently sweat etc to do something more worthwhile and fun.

I am not sure how tough/easy this would be from an implementation point of view but will definitely increase turnover and make mining way more fun than it is.

1. Kindly make 2 hours a minimum on the mining claim period as when i go mining i have to stop mid way to take out claims and i think 1 hour for < size IX can be increased to 2 hours without any issue.

Idea a. Is a good one. Would make me want to mine again for sure.

Oppose strongly.

With a lvl 13 amp you can drop up to 3*20*8 = 480 ped/minute, or 8 ped/second. That's even before considering preamped finders and reload speed buffs.

If you remove extraction time, that'd be roughly equivalent to giving messi a 800*3 = 2400 dps gun.

I'm afraid the balance of the markets isn't robust enough to survive that.

Releasing a limited number of Augmented and Perfected Genesis Star excavators - well, that might work.

No problem with this though.

Last edited:

it would crash the market as you could cycle much more

would be bad for ore MU, because way more ore could be produced per hour.
Also it would make mining excavator speed enhancers obsolete (are those even doing anything yet?).
However, i agree with claim period increase for < size IX...

I prefer the one shot extraction that would save hours of my life lol.

I like the idea of tradable deeds too but see a few complicatins.
As the new owner of the claim I wont want to spend much peds extracting it. If it did MU would drop even lower.
It may also be that deeds are way out in the middle of nowhere.
You then have to factor in the cost to reach the claim. Can often be 2-3 jumps from the nearest tp

Idea a. Is a good one. Would make me want to mine again for sure.

The first was more from a self oriented point of view vs second which had more of a humanitarian goal attached along with.

Oppose strongly.

With a lvl 13 amp you can drop up to 3*20*8 = 480 ped/minute, or 8 ped/second. That's even before considering preamped finders and reload speed buffs.

If you remove extraction time, that'd be roughly equivalent to giving messi a 800*3 = 2400 dps gun.

I'm afraid the balance of the markets isn't robust enough to survive that.

Releasing a limited number of Augmented and Perfected Genesis Star excavators - well, that might work.

No problem with this though.

it would crash the market as you could cycle much more

would be bad for ore MU, because way more ore could be produced per hour.
Also it would make mining excavator speed enhancers obsolete (are those even doing anything yet?).
However, i agree with claim period increase for < size IX...

@Haruto : I really doubt there is any field anywhere in EU which will justify overmining an area with lvl 13 or any high level amp besides adding up the losses of the miner. Eventually the guy will have to give up so i don't see that scenario playing out as you have perceived.

@Alukat : The speed enhancers are anyways currently not used much if any so no harm no foul there :)

It would lead to more people getting into mining and that might result in drop in markup rather then miners actually doing 10x more volume. For the high markup ores the fields are limited and over mining will not give better results and it tends to get worse when u over mine an area multiple times a day. This is controlled very much by MA in terms of drop rates of rare ores so i don't foresee a problem here quite honestly as far as increased volume is concerned.

The whole idea is geared towards making mining more feasible for a bigger population then to keep it restricted to a few. At the end of the day this is a game and it needs to feel like one. Look at the positives

1. Mining in pvp areas becomes more feasible
2. Mining in mob infested areas becomes more feasible.
and most importantly
3. You get to spend more quality time in the game.

Of course i do understand the points you are making above and i get that as well but from a game developers point of view, i feel that the pros outweigh the cons. It's there decision eventually at the end of the day

Cheers,

Divinity

1. Mining in pvp areas becomes more feasible
2. Mining in mob infested areas becomes more feasible.
and most importantly
3. You get to spend more quality time in the game.

1.) but that reduces the risk for the miners :eek:
2.) armor
3.) i like doing all my drops and once the skillbonus kicks in run around to get engineering/computer from drilling, which leads to the point, how are skill gains supposed to be handled?

Was going to add my 2 pecs to this thread but came to the conclusion why bother , everyone has their own personal opinion about this , I am just going to continue to adapt and use as intended

Good luck with all your input:)

Like the ideas from OP...while we're at it:

c) add or implement big TNT or dynomite explosions to be placed in/on mountains that blow up a big chunk of the radius on the map (using 'smuggler explosives' or 'Toulan TNT sticks' that crafters make for these L items for mining equipment). These L mining items would be bigger than lvl 13 and terra amp 10 L amps...would make things interesting/exciting for those gamblers out der.

d) implement underwater mining (some planets have alot of water to explore, would be an adventure if this was explored more and added)

e) you play an ingame 'fast dice game', pay 10 ped to roll...if you roll 'snake eyes', double 7s, or total of 12, your mining claim (doesn't matter what size, etc.); your claim gets excavated in 7-12 seconds max.

Many more ideas, but these are just a few in mind, but I'm sure there are many others who could add (please create separate thread).

cheerz,
-Vi Bitfury

in theory mined strongboxes are a type of solution in that arena... could increase the amount of boxes and put stackables inside of the loot the boxes give you... not sure it'd be a good thing, but with the system as it is now, would probably be easiest way to make it work? Basically mining would become something similar to mayhem box grindfest?

1.) but that reduces the risk for the miners :eek:
2.) armor
3.) i like doing all my drops and once the skillbonus kicks in run around to get engineering/computer from drilling, which leads to the point, how are skill gains supposed to be handled?

1. yep risk will be reduced but still not gone :)

2. armor decay wont be returned for miners like it is for hunters ( not until the mob is killed) and considering MA's overall move to make things cost less this would be in similar lines.

3. I do the opposite but that's cause am looking to skill my prosp and damn the skill bonus's only happen for me while drilling. lol

Like the ideas from OP...while we're at it:

c) add or implement big TNT or dynomite explosions to be placed in/on mountains that blow up a big chunk of the radius on the map (using 'smuggler explosives' or 'Toulan TNT sticks' that crafters make for these L items for mining equipment). These L mining items would be bigger than lvl 13 and terra amp 10 L amps...would make things interesting/exciting for those gamblers out der.

d) implement underwater mining (some planets have alot of water to explore, would be an adventure if this was explored more and added)

e) you play an ingame 'fast dice game', pay 10 ped to roll...if you roll 'snake eyes', double 7s, or total of 12, your mining claim (doesn't matter what size, etc.); your claim gets excavated in 7-12 seconds max.

Many more ideas, but these are just a few in mind, but I'm sure there are many others who could add (please create separate thread).

cheerz,
-Vi Bitfury

Definitely love the idea of underwater mining as it increases the area availability but i think then you would need to go to the bottom of the ocean floor :) Not sure if thats feasible. Not sure i understood the dice idea to be honest.

in theory mined strongboxes are a type of solution in that arena... could increase the amount of boxes and put stackables inside of the loot the boxes give you... not sure it'd be a good thing, but with the system as it is now, would probably be easiest way to make it work? Basically mining would become something similar to mayhem box grindfest?

I would think its easier to change attributes to make exca work like refiner. That would be easier then what u'r asking because currently box loot is dynamic which i dont think would go well with most miners. Just removing the attribute of speed from drilling would basically make it work like a refiner.

im all for more unlimited finders...

im all for "refining" claims.

why should there EVEN be unlimited amps for a few? so they can play cheaper at a certain level than the 99.99% others have to endure?
either remove unlimited amps or make ALOT more so not a few tenISH ppl have em and reaping the benefits that others cant if they dont sell their houses...

there should be hovering LIMITED vehicles that does mining just the same as a finder role we have today. faster gameplay = more turnover = MORE fun.

While we are at it, why not make crafting like this..... instead of having 10000x diffrent ingredients in one bp, lets have more of the common, uncommon ore/enmatter in a bp.. like say i want to make a finder vehicle i need 4k lyst,2k belkar ... you get the point...

less ingredients per bp required but more of the same would explode crafting and mining.

i hope you know if you trow more UL stuffs in market less L stuffs are used and less markup to everyone

I feel dumb people still need lose and smart one can win
if this balance is broken this game is doomed

At Topic

Well resourcer gathering be here for arond 1yr? mindark can clear copy resourcer nodes like any mmorpg
you walk find node and extract , bigger "excavator" act like amp you can find any node

And this node have no type or tier and size all this determined first use of tool and skills
point its you do only ONE CLICK to extract and SCALE with you GEAR and SKILLS
in counter balance you need walk/run around to find this NODES

And this option SCALE UP TO SPACE MINNING As well - you even can add special ships to improve effy and type
open whole new option for sure

But hey its much complex and mindark have atm 0 interresing to do anything about minning since I hope they need fix craft before because like i said above UL GEAR even everyone want to save their own markup this same kids dont see their damage in own loot markups

Back