EntropiaWiki hosting issues

Status

Darkaruki

Stalker
Banned
Formerly "Darkaruki Dorkaruki Kakiro"
Hey everyone, it seems that the EntropiaWiki servers have been running into some issues recently and from what I've gathered krogfan, better known as Linzey, who has been taking care of the hosting at the cost of their own time and resources for free, would really like to see it be taken care of by another party as they have been less active recently and unable to give it as much attention as it deserves.

Of course, the best case would be if MindArk were able to help with keeping this invaluable community resource available as they do with PlanetCalypsoForum.

However, if such a solution doesn't appear possible, we may want to look for an established and trusted member of the community with the time, resources, and passion needed to keep this important resource alive and running smoothly.

If anybody feels they meet this criteria and are serious about helping, feel free to let us know here or via a PM directed to me.

This issue should also be considered an extremely important one to all members of the community, so anybody who wants their gratitude and enthusiasm for the continued support of this project is also more than welcome to do so in this thread! :thumbup:

In the meantime, I will be trying to do what I can about the issues as well.

edit: EntropiaWiki is back in working order for now, concerns with the hosting moving forward will be looked into.

Last edited:
Hello,

Maybe you could explain a bit more in detail ???

Are/Is the server hosted at home with a dns entry at a provider???

Or are the databases on a rented server at a provider where you only need to pay the space per yr??

if so the second....we could make a donation thingie to gather up the costs on it...

And what do you mean with "work on it"? does wiki need a database "engineer" ??

Regards,
Eddie

What is needed?

I too would like more detail as to what is needed, and what level of effort is required on this project. What sort of maintenance does it need?

Regards,

Dakin

Let me know what resources you are currently using, I may be able to assist.

-AvalonRychmon

Hey guys, it seems the problem has been alleviated for the time being but the concerns regarding the hosting situation will likely still need to be looked at, I'd like to thank those who reached out offering to help, and I'll try my best to keep you guys updated as to what is happening if/when the situation develops.

Hello,

Maybe you could explain a bit more in detail ???

Are/Is the server hosted at home with a dns entry at a provider???

Or are the databases on a rented server at a provider where you only need to pay the space per yr??

if so the second....we could make a donation thingie to gather up the costs on it...

And what do you mean with "work on it"? does wiki need a database "engineer" ??

Regards,
Eddie

I'm not certain of the answer to the first two questions, however, in regards to donations, surely if users of the wiki all donated some small amounts then it would be much less of a problem for the host in terms of justifying the server space and maintenance.

What I mean by "work on it" is that like with every complex website, there are many issues present and problems that come up over time and there needs to be somebody who has the knowhow and time required to properly approach and resolve those issues.

Let me know what resources you are currently using, I may be able to assist.

-AvalonRychmon

I too would like more detail as to what is needed, and what level of effort is required on this project. What sort of maintenance does it need?

Regards,

Dakin

I'll have to get more details on this from the parties involved in handling the hosting of the website to properly answer, so we'll have to see as the situation develops.

is this still needed? I see the site is down today being moved elsewhere...

Status
Back