The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No!

That you donīt like it, never did it or never liked it, does not change the fact that it was there from start.

Nothing else did Cirrus say, and he is absolutely right.

PvP in EU is as old as EU itself.

If you donīt like it, donīt enter it, easy as that.
    Yep, Cirrus is 100% right.
    No, we don't want to admit he is.
    Yes, we have our reasons. We do have em indeed.

Yet, PvP was part of the Project Entropia right from the start. Doesn't mean PvP as such was terribly popular for every last player. That's never the case (goes for every major MMO out there). Which is to say, we're fucking carebears, pretty much all of us.
    Despite all this, the old original Land Grab was a wild success and a veritable mass event. That same Average Joe who usually doesn't really care much about PvP was positively thrilled by all the fraking hoot and crazy fun it was. As unbelievable as it sounds today, all this actually happened in this very game.

What we can learn from all that--it's not really a yes-PvP/no-PvP problem.
    We always tend to forget this, but in the end of the day it all boils down to sheer talent (or "cool new ideas" as we call it), and high quality implementation. Or at least implementation that doesn't totally botch the original idea. The thing is, people in average are always the same but the whole world changes when the supernova of a real real talent is born.

Sadly, those are cosmic events, extremely rare and they never last. Welcome back to mundane everyday reality with the junior programmer Sven.
    ► Fifth's

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    Welcome back to mundane everyday reality with the junior programmer Sven.
    It's been said many times - forcing gameplay choices means fewer people will want to play (or recommend it to others). Changing stuff which has worked in the past may lose you people who preferred the past version, but you may not gain as many new players, especially if the previous gameplay was actually better.

I liked the fort events, which is cheap pvp and fighting for the competition reward, not loots. One problem was the ability to cheat (I believe shooting through walls) and poor team balancing option implementation. The events still sit there on Caly, but they may as well be over at Howling Mine in space for all the action they see now.

So much has been implemented poorly and with no believable roadmap of development. Even a junior programmer with guidance of what program DNA to tweat or bring back could make superb changes - no 'new' code needed.

Still, what we have now instead of dinosaur world is chicken world. Still, there will always be farmers I guess

Growlz Rorrz Prrrz
    Society
    Natural Born Killers
    Images
    **Groan**

I can see the hook. Not biting.
    Tis Fate's decree.
    For know, rash youth, that in this star crost world
    Fate drives us all to find our chiefest good
    In what we can, and not in what we would.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Mutant Atrax Stalker
    Society
    Guess Who Academy
    Images
    No!

Hey buddy, why don't you fix that up so I don't have to?

Then I'm with you 100%.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Thoreau
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    Despite all this, the old original Land Grab was a wild success and a veritable mass event.
    It was a terrible lagfest that crashed hard. Marco came into IRC chat and apologized.

And it wasn't a mass event. Arbitrary skill requirements kept many out of the event.

The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    The Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
    It was a terrible lagfest ...
    Yep, it was. It was a terrible lagfest quite often even without big events. By today's standards, I'm sure nobody would even log in to a game like that. Yet back then, they did, and kept coming back. Apparently ppl thought it was worth it.

Anyway, you're right, it's not like it was all one big bed of roses. It just sucked a different way.

With mass event I didn't count just the competing teams. I counted in all the noobs who were there as spectators, occasionally got killed by accident but didn't mean it. I know I was one of them... (and in a sense still am).

Marauder
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MeLoveYou LongTime FiveDolla
    Society
    Apocalyptic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    ever considered this might be intentional?
    MA has a monetary interest in drawing and keeping players to Calypso instead of letting them spend their money on Toulan or Ark, where they may have started.
    and it is always easy to claim "You PlanetPartner, your planet sux, no wonder players leave toward Caly".
    While PP has a hard time to prove that wrong.

sadly this concept works out for MA, because lootable space PVP hinders transportation of goods, which makes it unattractive for me to travel to other planets.
    Of course I would consider it possible that it is intentional. But we do nkt know if it really is and I would like to think that it is not. If it is, the types of companies that would market and sell license to attract planet partners and then also work to sabotage them is underhanded, corrupt, and actually criminal. I am just going to (for now) go with bad/incomplete game design. Especially when the platform also has a vested interest in planet partners succeeding because of the decay splits and continued development that the PPs have to pay mindark for.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9