MindArk Test Workshop

it is good that you have enjoyed the moment being the 1st goal :), but in view of your comment the new system is not so good as its.
MA remains a business with civilized people even if I do not like my current loot pool :laugh:

Just realize that I'm the guy who grilled MA face to face about changing my favorite cursor (they removed two lines of it!) so I am known to be reluctant towards change. Imagine how I reacted when playing while the entire camera and interface was changed :ahh:

Absolutely, MA has dedicated forum lurkers and even during happy hour they were checking forum posts on the FEN event.

Hahaha yeah all of them were doing that :laugh:

From the little bit we heard about trip there and the nice parting gifts they gave, oh my it sounded like quite the fun experience.

I love the posters they gave too. :wtg:

Hey guys, just to corroborate with what slupor talked about (it was great to meet you, even though we were in different test groups :)) they are actually working on a new camera system, and although we signed an NDA so we can't talk crazy specific or show like pictures or something they did say we were completely free to talk about the overall experience and how we felt about it.

First of all, they set aside quite a lot of time throughout the time we were there to basically just listen to us talk about anything we wanted to talk about and answer honestly how they felt even when the questions were difficult for them, they took in a lot of feedback and wrote down quite a lot of notes while we were talking and the environment there felt very open and constructive, huge props to the new CEO who was an extremely friendly and passionate guy and seemed genuinely excited to talk with us about pretty much anything Entropia.

We also spent some time testing out the camera systems in our own ways (although we didn't have ALL kinds of players we did have a decent amount of variety in playstyle within our groups) and honestly I think all of us were skeptical about them spending all of that development time working on a camera system, but pretty much all of us actually really liked it and were able to see the merit they saw in it once we started playing with it on their test realm. As for when we can expect the new stuff to make its' way to the game they weren't certain yet but the impression I got was most likely in a few months, potentially between halloween mayhem and christmas mayhem but potentially after christmas mayhem, though that's mostly a guess.

As mentioned earlier, we had plenty of time with them to discuss all sorts of other ideas for potential new content and based on some of their replies I can guarantee they are working on several other upcoming content releases some of which were very exciting to me. Although, of course, apart from a sneak peek at the new camera systems we didn't really get any sensitive insider info or anything crazy like that, at most maybe just some opinions that are completely reasonable but that they wouldn't like to talk about publicly as much.

Overall, I have nothing but positive things to say about the experience, the trip was quite an expensive and time consuming one for me coming from Canada but in the end I was super happy to have taken it, like slupor mentioned, we were treated very well and given some awesome goodies as well at the end of our visit. I also took a few extra days and I've been having lots of fun exploring Gothenburg. (my first time in Europe) :)

Last edited:
Although, of course, apart from a sneak peek at the new camera systems we didn't really get any sensitive insider info or anything crazy like that,

Well, they did let slip that the loot server was run by hamsters (plural so there must be more than one!)

In one remote part of the office (pretty nerdvana place btw) it smelled really funny so that's probably where the dead hamster was lying, which explains my bad loot.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting Darkaruki, nice meeting you too.

Well, they did let slip that the loot server was run by hamsters (plural so there must be more than one!)

In one remote part of the office (pretty nerdvana place btw) it smelled really funny so that's probably where the dead hamster was lying, which explains my bad loot.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting Darkaruki, nice meeting you too.

I hope you found the hamster of my avatar to give him some vitamins because he must have a broken paw on mine :holyshit:
you're wrong in the back room it's the ogre ulf support with these predefined sentences :laugh:

Overall, I have nothing but positive things to say about the experience, the trip was quite an expensive and time consuming one for me coming from Canada but in the end I was super happy to have taken it, like slupor mentioned, we were treated very well and given some awesome goodies as well at the end of our visit. I also took a few extra days and I've been having lots of fun exploring Gothenburg. (my first time in Europe)

:yay: gratz your first time in Europe , i went to gothenburg a few years ago in winter, it's really a pretty.

...I must admit and say that MA's new CEO is a great person with a lot of passion for the game. He seems to be decent guy with a vision towards making a change to the game. We all know change takes time. Despite his young age and his position, he is seemed interested and listens to the players closely (at least thats my impression on him).

There will be AMA so will be glad to ask him other things. There were no hidden info given sadly :silly2:. It was simply nice to meet and talk face to face.

At the end, I would like to thank the the MA staff (Henrik and Magnus, the only 2 i met) for the great and warm welcome I have been met with...

Very nice they welcomed you in a great and warm way. :)

Did you talk about that ?
My friend's (the only tier9) LC-300 is locked. He is thinking to pay visit to lawyer. We are just being patient with MA to see what they do ...

My (the only tier9) Arso chip is locked too. I would talk further this friend who owns the lc300 and perhaps together we make a laywer visit.

http://https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?304013-MA-is-leading-an-unfair-game&p=3664663&highlight=#post3664663

And maybe you have watched few videos together ? :wtg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1E9nDMHwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMbWQmA8qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckqniv-fKlY

Very nice that a few of you got to go and meet the folks at MA.
However I wonder if any of you asked,
"why are you developing this new camera system when you have so many things not ingame that have been promised "
and if you didnt ask this , why didnt you ?

Very nice that a few of you got to go and meet the folks at MA.
However I wonder if any of you asked,
"why are you developing this new camera system when you have so many things not ingame that have been promised "
and if you didnt ask this , why didnt you ?

Why MA want/need to do this are because of a lot of reasons.
1. Smoother game play
2. Less scripts interfering
3. Lowering the pressure on the servers
4. Modernizing the camera system/ interact system to attract new players.
5. I'm guessing on this one, but making it harder to bot.

MA - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here :laugh:

When you've seen what we've seen you'll understand why it's necessary. It will be an improvement, people just need to have an open mind when it gets implemented and also give it a chance. Some might experience it being more of a difference than others and might also find it hard to adjust in the beginning. Just give it time. It took us about 30 min - 1h to adjust somewhat during the test.

Last edited:
Reactions: jak
The more info you give the more you get me worried :). I understand we are going to lose the free 360'/180' camera but hopefully won't be forced to see the world through narrow slits of our helmets, even though that would increase performance tremendously :D (what performance anyway, I have zero issues with performance)

I certainly did. Don't worry. I trust the guy, just wan't to see if he have forgot about the case or not. I told em i was not satisified in how this supportcase been and that I have started withdrawing and will continue do and stopping hunting because of it. The boss was listening. Thats why I have respect to him.

Was loud music so was kinda hard to talk about all things specially when other players had some conversation. So did not have much time talking about other things :yup:

The more info you give the more you get me worried :). I understand we are going to lose the free 360'/180' camera but hopefully won't be forced to see the world through narrow slits of our helmets, even though that would increase performance tremendously :D (what performance anyway, I have zero issues with performance)

I understand this. There's no possible way for us to justify the new system with just words, it has to be seen and tried yourself :) Performancewise on our side has never really been the issue, but when I say "smoother" I mean the overall cam/movement/interaction system.

Last edited:
Reactions: das
Ijust want to know if this whole game is going first person. I'd TBH like to see some footage of this.

I was quite serious in the letter from the CEO thread it's Mindark's option to evolve the game how they like.

However as someone who has played maybe 15 - 20 hours of first person perspective games since i got my atari 2600 in 1980 or whenever that was I will swallow everything I ever said and leave.

I'm not excited and eager to see the new interface. With what is being said here I'm panicking and ready to quit.

I'm not excited and eager to see the new interface. With what is being said here I'm panicking and ready to quit.

Just do what I did: breathe in, breathe out, repeat. Did you take your pills on time?

There will be first and third person views.

If you are still ready to quit, I'm buying mod merc's for TT+10 ped and will throw in an extra ped for each tier unlock.

Just do what I did: breathe in, breathe out, repeat. Did you take your pills on time?

There will be first and third person views.

If you are still ready to quit, I'm buying mod merc's for TT+10 ped and will throw in an extra ped for each tier unlock.

I bid TT+11 :dunce:

Well I've heard some things I possibly don't like and won't repeat here.

I'll just say something that hopefully MA reads and understands. This is not a FPS game and it's played by many older (than 30) players. It's a big time grinding game. A lot of people use auto fire, select next target and move to target to lessen the amount of key pressing and clicking. If you remove that ability to make grinding easier you will lose a lot of business. The game isn't worth RSI pain. Some "casual players" may poo poo this, but they aren't the people providing most of your income.

Just something to consider.

Yep ha ha lol. Panic may be a strong word but semantically appropriate phrases like 'more than mildly perturbed' tend to get me harassing responses and stupid jokes.

Oh, wait a minute...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

My experience at the Camera Test Workshop.

Hi!

First, I want to thank MA for giving me the opportunity to attend the test workshop.

Second, it was great to meat in person all the other players there! Saphira, slupor, Rocky & Darkaruki posts above have said loads already, and I agree with each of them, MA were very welcoming and understanding and listening. As each of them has said, we all got the feelings MA care and our game is moving in a good direction! Wish I could have taken each and everyone of you through the entire day with me, you would feel the warm and good feelings we all got while we were there!

Enough, here is my story of the events:

I started this game in June 2003 and I've loved the game ever since. So when I seen MA inviting players to this thing I sent my application in instantly, think I might have been the first applicant! So I was very happy when I got that confirmation email.

Things started at 10am, I met up with "Saphira Amethyst Star", "David Westmoreland", and Darkaruki little before going into MA's headquarters, we had coffee and talked. Great people!

We went up to a conference room MindArk had set up for us where "William Will Last" was an early bird and already sitting down waiting for the meeting to begin. We were joined by slupor shortly after making 6 of us players in attendance.

(I didn't see them but I was told there were dials on the walls in the conference room for adjusting the loot.)

We all were very well greeted by MindArk-Kaj (CRM Manager) MindArk-Dennis (Grphic Engineer?) first, Dennis was conducting the test workshop and was the one with each group of us when we were doing the actual testing of the new system.

I was jet-lagged so not sure when but somewhere in time we all got a fast tour of the MA offices, spending the most part of the tour on the roof seeing the awesome view of Sweden!

MindArk-Henrik (CEO) was with us from the start and with us through the entire day! He showed he really cared about us and the game and went above and beyond to show anything we cared to mentioned was noted down for consideration later! I honestly couldn't feel more secure with him at the helm of our Entropia Universe! As a person he is seriously likable and his questioning and listening ability to what really maters is awesome! after-hours I was able to play a few games with him, and I'll only say he almost broke the punching/kicking game! his scores were insane! I'll not get into a fight with him, even if he doesn't look very intimidating! :D

So, the better part of the morning three of us (David, slupor & myself) were sitting in-front of MindArk-Henrik, MindArk-David, MindArk-Magnus, MindArk-Justin, MindArk-Kaj spilling our guts and anything and everything we had to say about the game. I'll admit I did a lot of talking since I had a lot on my mind. but we all contributed something in our opinions of how the game was and ideas, etc. The MindArk staff listened and asked us lots of questions about things we brought up. Most of the things we brought up the MindArk staff knew about and I could feel there own broken desires to change the very things we mentioned. Due to the NDA I can't bring up every little thing we spoke about but I can say we didn't get any secrets about the loot system nor did any of us ask for any. It was mainly about little things that erked even the MA staff and they wanted to do something to fix but the system and priorities hindered them. Time and again the new camera system, or better described as the "changes and simplified version of the camera and targeting system" was mentioned as a fix needed to fix most of the things we brought up. From my understanding there is so much complexity in the ways of using the camera and targeting systems that any time MindArk tries to fix something they get too many problems and bugs. This new system is aimed to help fix that and make it easier for MindArk to fix bugs and issues with the game.

Okay, During the morning Darkaruki, Saphira & Will were off with MindArk-Dennis on test computers playing around with the new system.

Then it was lunch time, we all went out for a great lunch at a local steak house. The food in Sweden is almost a good enough reason to move to Sweden!!! And as slupor said MA were following the FEN thread through lunch. As we left the MindArk staff huddled up and were talking about something, I can only imagine it was about FEN, they do care about the game and it was very obvious!

When we got back from lunch our teams changed places. myself, David & slupor were on the test servers with MindArk-Dennis testing the new system! The others were in the conference room doing what I imagine we were doing when we were there.

So now I'm on the test servers as a guinea pig, as I love PVP I wanted to test the system with PVP, but could not as the test server didn't have any pvp zones. So I ended up testing other things I wanted to test.

First, let me say the new "system" is NOT much different than what we all use now. The camera still does everything we were able to do in the old system. You can still zoom in and out, still do a form of OTS. (though not for left handed in beta). To me the camera system was not changed in any major way! It was more the targeting and method of aiming and targeting and such that is changing. And by changing I mean it is made more simple!

With this new system you use less button pressing to do the same things. However with the new system you will have to move your mouse more. No more one button hunting. :mad: Even looting is made more simple, you press the same key you use to do everything, F key was the key that would find a target (in front of you), start action on that target, stop when mob is dead, and loot. This simplified the entire hunting experience. Oh and part of this new system is fancy visuals on the targets, enemy is outlined in red and a mark over it when you are aiming in it's direction or next to select it.

All in all I enjoyed the new system, I hate change but the changes were not that big even if they must feel big on the programming side.

After we were done we all went down for happy hour. This is were we first met up with Shiva and then Rocky. And where MindArk-Henrik and MindArk-Magnus and few others spent most of the evening with all of us talking and having fun.

We all had a great time and MindArk definitely rolled out the red carpet for us. I'm sure some of our visit was of good value to MindArk in making Entropia Universe better for all of us.

p.s. I didn't get any secrets and doubt anyone did. But the CEO jokingly said he turned all of our loots to full blast! :D And based on 5k hunt yesterday he was definitely joking! :mad:

With this new system you use less button pressing to do the same things. However with the new system you will have to move your mouse more. No more one button hunting. Even looting is made more simple, you press the same key you use to do everything, F key was the key that would find a target (in front of you), start action on that target, stop when mob is dead, and loot. This simplified the entire hunting experience. Oh and part of this new system is fancy visuals on the targets, enemy is outlined in red and a mark over it when you are aiming in it's direction or next to select it.

Thanks for sharing your story...Above is going to be a hard sell no matter how intuitive and great the new controls may be.

Upsetting a long standing status quo is always a big gamble.

Still not convinced this is either the feature to mess with or the right timing to be doing it...

Good Luck!

Hi!

<detailed account of the visit>

Thanks for taking the time, and really everyone else that went and has posted some about it as well.

I can wait REAL good.

It just seems like somewhere along the way, the waiting became the thing. This game is based on a challenge mentality not a reward mentality and so for many I think the waiting has become part of the challenge.

Due to some laziness, some lack of competition in the "persistent world, sandbox MMO" category, and a shared sense of being up to this particular challenge a lot of people have waited a very long time. It's not the same thing for everybody. It's not the same length of time. But so many people are just waiting.

Mindark is clearly attempting to eliminate a lot of problems. Eliminating problems is not the same as fixing them, though. I don't mind a few jokes but do know I'm 100% not alone in my concern about the overall direction of the game right now. I'm tired of waiting. That's all.

Eliminating functions that have been basic across several genres for many years under the guise of "performance improvements" or to minimize the impact of poor design decisions is not what I would like to think I've been waiting for.

Thanks again jak for a more focused account of the system.

p.s. I didn't get any secrets and doubt anyone did. But the CEO jokingly said he turned all of our loots to full blast! :D And based on 5k hunt yesterday he was definitely joking! :mad:

I had a 71 ped HoF today that contained a Platinum token so that was full blast I assume.

It's hard to give much of an opinion about the new system without seeing it myself, but I'm glad to hear that the people who did are feeling positive about it. Like some others I'd be concerned if EU became more focused on reactions and hand movement, and I hope that's not the case, but it doesn't particularly sound like it will be, to me.

What I'm very pleased about is that it looks like MA chose a good selection of players to take part in this, with a mix of long-time active players of various levels, and those who haven't been around as long but have shown a strong commitment to the game. As far as I can see they didn't bother to include any of the people who spend their lives flooding this forum with their idiotic opinions that they think are so much better than anyone else's even though they've taken 10-15 years to get to Level 30, which would have been troubling if they had been chosen (and I've no doubt that a lot of those people applied).

I hope that this is a positive sign and that we'll continue to see the right kind of player engagement and communication.

To reply to some of the comments:

I believe I was told Eagle Eye camera would remain in the final version with very limited (can't be used in combat, for example) usage although with the new systems you really would not want to use it either way.

As for the concerns regarding AFK hunting, nah, it's very much alive in the new camera system, if anything it's a lot more functional, accurate, and quicker than before, the only concern to it that I noticed was that technically the game will not target something if it is completely off your screen with the auto-targeting, which seemed fine to me but I can understand that maybe being annoying for some people who want to play 100% afk instead of 99% afk even though the benefits to them still heavily outweigh the negatives overall I think

I made a point to note this as being a choice which may need to be changed, which they agreed and said they would take a look at the ability to play even more AFK

I didn't want to talk about it very in depth compared to the other people because what we played was an in-progress Alpha test edition with many changes yet to be made, but I can guarantee that all of us after a bit of getting used to found the new system to be enjoyable to use, so although I think it's fair to feel worried the upcoming changes might not be to your liking, since I would be too, I would say to save judgement until you've gotten a chance to play with it.

...I can understand that maybe being annoying for some people who want to play 100% afk instead of 99% afk even though the benefits to them still heavily outweigh the negatives overall I think

I made a point to note this as being a choice which may need to be changed, which they agreed and said they would take a look at the ability to play even more AFK...

AFK hunting ? :scratch2:

Are Bots allowed now ? :confused:

While you MA are working on this, I want to suggest that you could maybe increase speed when avatar is rotating by using auto-aim/next target.

When you click next target it now rotates very slow, it needs more than 2 seconds for a 180°.
Would be nice if it could be at least 2 time faster.

AFK hunting ? :scratch2:

Are Bots allowed now ? :confused:

by AFK I mean just hitting select next target and auto use tool which is what tons of people seem to do

While you MA are working on this, I want to suggest that you could maybe increase speed when avatar is rotating by using auto-aim/next target.

When you click next target it now rotates very slow, it needs more than 2 seconds for a 180°.
Would be nice if it could be at least 2 time faster.

you'll be happy to hear that this was actually sped up significantly in the alpha version of the new camera system I played

by AFK I mean just hitting select next target and auto use tool which is what tons of people seem to do

AFK, as I think you know, means away from keyboard, which is not what people are referring to.

AFK, as I think you know, means away from keyboard, which is not what people are referring to.

Actually "AFK-hunting" is hunting while watching a movie or something on the other screen while you more or less hit select next target and continue shooting. So it's never referred to actually leaving the pc, (well maybe if you autoshoot drone elites and use a fapper like I do and then go do the dishes while keeping an eye on the screen in case you die or something :laugh:)

Thanks for taking the time, and really everyone else that went and has posted some about it as well.

I can wait REAL good.

It just seems like somewhere along the way, the waiting became the thing. This game is based on a challenge mentality not a reward mentality and so for many I think the waiting has become part of the challenge.

Due to some laziness, some lack of competition in the "persistent world, sandbox MMO" category, and a shared sense of being up to this particular challenge a lot of people have waited a very long time. It's not the same thing for everybody. It's not the same length of time. But so many people are just waiting.

Mindark is clearly attempting to eliminate a lot of problems. Eliminating problems is not the same as fixing them, though. I don't mind a few jokes but do know I'm 100% not alone in my concern about the overall direction of the game right now. I'm tired of waiting. That's all.

Eliminating functions that have been basic across several genres for many years under the guise of "performance improvements" or to minimize the impact of poor design decisions is not what I would like to think I've been waiting for.

Thanks again jak for a more focused account of the system.

With you 100% on this. It stinks like a week old fish. The comments from those who went are highly suspect. Nothing that they've reported sounds good. If this "camera system" were "good" or "an improvement" then they'd

a) be more open about it - not just to a few hand selected players who are not allowed to talk much about it
b) post videos for the whole community to give feedback on.

If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat...

Wistrel

Back