Suggestion: A Blowout Space Event

Atrax

Prowler
Mutant Atrax Stalker
It's been a long time since the robots have attempted a major attack.

For the last several years the humans have continued to settle and build on the habitable planets they have found. As more and more colonists have arrived, interplanetary trade has grown, and along with it, interplanetary piracy. Space is a cruel mistress.

As known space has grown the mapping and exploring have revealed a number of creatures that are able to survive in the cold, empty void, and space stations have been built in many places to assist both travelers and hunters in repairing their ships and completing their journeys through space in peace. However with the lack of any central government or database to track the activities of individuals in space these supposedly safe spaces have also become fraught with danger. Human danger.

While many of the human colonists are content to arrive unharmed at their planet of choice and begin with their new lives, there are still a few individuals who find the vast quiet of space inviting. To survive in space requires that you be hard on your throttle and quick with your guns, every stranger is a potential killer. The peace is only broken by the noise and hustle of an occasional encounter, and sometimes not for the best; the deceptive silence often conceals a harsh and fiery death. The individuals who spend their time pursuing this lifestyle are few and far between.

Until now, the majority of humans in space have been pirates. Colonists travel in large armored ships, or take their chances in private vessels hoping more than anything that they don't encounter another human in the silent reaches of space. Little is commonly known about the creatures that inhabit the spaces between the lanes and most colonists have never seen one. The pirates hover in packs around the safe places and both science and exploration have been held at a standstill.

As it turns out, these pirates may have become our safety net. The pirates had established a base near the edges of known space. A place where those unwelcome in the cities and stations of the colonies could gather to share their knowledge, and their loot.

>Some number of days< days ago, the pirate base at the abandoned Howling Mine was attacked.

The pirate 'fleet' such as it was, has been decimated. Mostly comprised of cargo smuggling vessels and small ambush fighters the humans at howling mine had no chance of winning this fight. Those that could scattered to the planets where they had friends or family remaining, with a warning that the robots had returned. And returned with incredible force.

The strongest force ever recorded. If any human had seen a fleet like this in the past, they had never escaped to tell the tale. The sheer number of small personal craft at the howling mine was the only reason that anyone lived to tell the tale. Sentient capital ships. Dogfighters with digital reflexes. Scouts drones so small they're hardly noticeable without equipment to detect them. Dropships everywhere. Numbers of robots like nothing we've seen in years.

While quietly maintaining a foot hold in human occupied space, in their home system they have been quietly rebuilding. The time of readiness is nearly here and they have been surveying the known humans systems for information in preparation for another concerted attack. Now, they have attacked. And for the first time, humanity has sufficient warning to stop the invasion in space.

Early reports indicate that many of their largest ships are carrying forces and equipment intended for use during a synchronized assault on the settled human worlds. If this is allowed to happen, humanity as a species could be set back generations in terms of technology and advancement. In the long years of (relative) peace humanity has continued to populate the planets, but as people will the existing colonists have spread themselves thin to take advantage of the many opportunities the planets have to offer. Military forces in the colonies are small and spread thin as well.

WE MUST MEET THE ROBOTS IN SPACE!!!

Human society and our colonies have stayed on the ground. Robot surveillance has shown them a species of beings who avoid space. This is what they have come for. If the robot assault forces are allowed to reach the planets there is little hope that any of our colonies will survive their planned attack. While they've seen our large, armored craft and come prepared to battle with capital ships - their numbers and deployment indicate that while they expect to defend their armada they are not prepared for a sustained assault by large numbers of independent fighting craft in space.

With reports from the remaining pirates trickling in, planetary governments and interplanetary corporations together have increased their surveillance of space. There may still be time to stop this assault completely, while the majority of humanity is allowed to continue their colonial activities in peace. Pirate forces and the thriving black market have been decimated, and both military and police forces are increasing their presence in space.

The robot scouts have scoured our systems aggressively and in doing so have stirred up a great deal of unrest among the normally peaceful denizens of space. Traditional hunting and spawning grounds are in disarray and upset creatures are crowding the normally quiet areas of space trying to find new places to count hydrogen atoms in peace. And the robots are still scouting. Waiting, watching, and moving their forces into place.

The time has come once again for humanity to rise up together and defend our right to exist. Higher than we've ever risen before, it's time to take the battle to space. At this time with increased enforcement and preventative measures in space, all piracy has been outlawed, through the whole of human space. Space remains vast and while there still may be those who wish to fight - theft of resources will not be allowed.

This is not a call for militia. This is not a call for police. This is a call for all colonists to step forward and aid in crushing the enemy of our kind. Together we can make a decisive strike, so once again ...

The Entropia Universe Needs You!

Last edited:
Ok so I have no idea the real back end consequences for the current financial arrangements between MA and the planet partners, if customers can just freely drag their PED around the EU. With that said, this is a wishlist/suggestion so once that was rolling through my head I decided to go with writing it out over here :laugh:

Event PVP Thoughts:
  • My Favorite: Just turn it off. It's a limited time event let's get people into space for a minute and have everyone who even cares a little go check it out.
  • Next Best: Solid PVE with current training grounds set to yellow PVP and dense spawns.
  • Least Favorite: All space is yellow PVP with current training grounds (or event spaces) set for lootable PVP dueling in dense spawns.

System Settings:
  • Decrease any PVP related expenses as per the existing PVP event system. Thanks for pointing towards this JBK. This should just happen anyways. Ship decay is not the point but big lasers and rockets are expensive to fire for a lot of small players and there's no incentive to protect yourself in red or yellow PVP.

Mob Settings:
  • Increased spawns, wandering mobs, Whatever they currently have.
  • Some shared loot. Large and medium. Maybe small.

Wishlist Items:
  • Space chirpys. They could be some sort of roboto drone, or a space animal, or both.
  • Other than that a mob that is of a size and aggression to attack a small craft but not easily defeat it. Something to do in a spaceworthy Sleipnir.
  • More robots of course.
  • Challenge sized mobs for path/star finders and motherships. Some balanced so gunners matter as much or more than repairers.
  • Space blueprints. Preferably from only the space crafting machine. I really, really want new guns. Please.
  • A space pet of some kind. Autolooter? (thanks mastermesh) I'm thinking maybe something like an astromech droid. mastermesh wants a space dragon. Also we need a repair solution, and this is one possibility.
  • A VERY short range fighter. I will flesh this out below.
  • Repair ships. Thought on balance? Anything to hunt a mob like skyflail without a 20+ minute trip to a pirate camp every 2 - 5 kills.

Other Thoughts:
  • Planet partners could participate or involve this into local lore as much or as little as they care to. In the end the robots are getting stopped in space even if the IFN and CDF etc... have to do it when the colonists are sleeping.

This thread is a definite follow on to the general conversation thread I started about desirable changes to space earlier. I really believe that a lot more players simply need to visit space, and see what the options are.

Also more and better options are on the top of nearly every EU wishlist, right?

To be honest, I don't know how much interest in space specifically exists with the current EU players, but I do know that the ones who love it are very passionate about it. There are great big long lists of what people don't like about space, and it sits unchanged. Even if it's only for a minute, I would like to see what would happen if they opened it up a bit.

I'll bullet this and if good ideas come from conversation I'll add them.

Last edited:
That was a cool read, and it reminds me of the robot attacks of yore.

Kill the toasters!

:handgun:

Hmmm

I was just talking about this.

It all sounds fun and exciting EXCEPT one thing and it's a biggie.
Just doing a/one space mob in Space you have to:

* Fly back into a designated MS or SS to the get out and repair your quad each time, so you don't go 1/2 health and die on next. Rinse and Repeat the whole time you're hunting. (unless you are with a group or gunner on a bigger ship)

( After about 5-6 times of doing this I found it was very monotonous and won't be doing that again anytime soon.)

My suggestion would be to implement a way to repair vehicle while in it or a pill designed to use or something for repairing.

Great post though Atrax! :handgun:

Last edited:

* Fly back into a designated MS or SS to the get out and repair your quad each time, so you don't go 1/2 health and die on next. Rinse and Repeat the whole time you're hunting. (unless you are with a group or gunner on a bigger ship)

( After about 5-6 times of doing this I found it was just very monotonous.)

My suggestion would be to implement a way to repair vehicle while in it or a pill designed to use or something for repairing.

This has kept me from hunting the skyflails near calypso pretty much. It's an incredibly long trip and for me now 2-3 mobs is normal before I need repair. I think my biggest streak is 5. Since repairs from there include FOMA or calypso it's a very long trip and it's no fun at all.

At arkadia the horrors are pretty close it's only a couple of minutes. But if the station is busy pirates notice you're hunting pretty quick. I'm not sure how to handle this because even if they put limited stations out there for repairs (still no safe zone), any place that concentrates players is going to get camped.

For event purposes maybe they could just drop in an extra station or something near the more remote spawns.

New system that let's u add repair function as quick key and allows u to repair as u fly.... and new tools to let buff repair happen to ship similar to chips and faps that heal avatar over time but it would repair ship... also for pirate problem a self destruct button that will kill u and your ship as well as all pirates in the area... and auto loot space pet dragon

New system that let's u add repair function as quick key and allows u to repair as u fly.... and new tools to let buff repair happen to ship similar to chips and faps that heal avatar over time but it would repair ship... also for pirate problem a self destruct button that will kill u and your ship as well as all pirates in the area... and auto loot space pet dragon

( After about 5-6 times of doing this I found it was very monotonous and won't be doing that again anytime soon.)

Or release some support-style ships that repair other ships so you have to work as a team to kill them. Essentially space fappers

I think this is heavy stuff, in terms of additions to the game. I'm not sure and having worked in software sometimes what a customer thinks is "cut and paste" can wreck a whole systems - or vice versa.

I have had zero concern for a pet in space. Pet autoloot is another confusing MA pedgrab right now. For such a basic game function they're tried to turn it into some kind of super premium effect and even then it's a bad deal.

With that said I had not even thought about the beauty of this in space. I'm still at the point where looting the mobs is awkward and TBH I haven't even considered an autoloot pill to see if it works. :dunce:

The one thing wasn't a thing when I got into the other thing and years after the fact I just never thought of putting the two things together. Anyone with a quick answer here?

I made a comment a couple weeks ago about how we have x-wings but we don't have a tie fighter equivalent. Since then I've really been wanting something along the lines of an astromech droid, which I see as a potential repair solution. R2-D2 has some rockets and he could go grab my loot between bouts of welding up the ship :wtg:

>deleted rant about pirates making money<

There are, ahhh, subtle issues of game balance which, yeah, we might need to consider regarding that. Maybe if another ship shoots at you, the pet just hides for a minimum 30 seconds after any shot is fired.

It's a wishlist. If MA were to implement a new type of pet, and some mechanic for spawning something outside of your ship - they might as well hit two birds with one stone.

Space pets added to wishlist for sure.

On a sort of side note, let's talk about that tie fighter remark.

I'm currently envisioning a small light ship, a cockpit/pod with a (relatively) big gun and an armor class something near or below the sleipnir. Quick but maybe not fast. low inertia high maneuverability. Shot for shot a match with a kismet, but 1/3 to 1/2 the shots to kill it vs. a quad.

It has no fuel tank but sort of a battery that can carry a few minutes charge. The idea here is that every few minutes, the ship has to be charged up. It needs to have enough charge to make it through a dog fight or make in-system runs at larger system like calypso or arkadia, but only enough effective range to get about 1/3 of a server's distance in space on it's own. In this way, except for a couple spots on the map it's not usable for hopping stations at all.

Spawnable on planet or in space, but no thruster mount. Trainer vehicle levels of TT (10 - 100 PEC).

I know that mothership owners can immediately see the place for this :) Also anybody that actually wants to see large blazing battles in space, in general. These could be a lot of fun. Maybe you don't even need to attach a gun, it's built in and adds to the overall decay of this relatively disposable ship.

IMO this is one way to get 5-10 players of all levels standing around the docking bay of a MS actually kind of hoping some pirates attack. :handgun:

Or release some support-style ships that repair other ships so you have to work as a team to kill them. Essentially space fappers

MOAR SHIPS RAWR!!

Another good take on the repair problem, too.

Back