Shooting the Moon (for science of course)

Atrax

Prowler
Mutant Atrax Stalker
Hey I was over playing at the arkadia moon today and I had an interesting idea. I decided to get some numbers regarding this and here's what I got. First, a little background:

The arkadia moon offers a ton of room for activities in space. No activities, I'm afraid - but a ton of room for it. I've been flying around there a good deal lately just because it's fun. Of course, avoiding pirates is always a hot topic in EU these days and I've posted in other threads regarding ways to evade, deter, or otherwise distract the pirates using the space and opportunity provided by making the moon a sphere.

For those who haven't gone yet, here's a couple of basic tips:
  • If you spawn up from the moon, you are at the edge of the safe zone near to the direction of the space station.
  • If you spot anything suspicious, turn towards the moon - you are in a safe zone that is a .6 AU sphere.
  • If it's really a mess, re-entering the moon is free just fly towards it again at .09AU from the surface (.24AU from center waypoint) you can enter.
  • Logging out anywhere in this .6AU sphere of safe zone revives you at the space station.

So, for anyone that's not putting it together you can just fly up and log out, then you will log in (After suffocating) to the space station and a TP to planet. Cost 7 ped + 1 use of thruster. The pirates have declared this an exploit of course and there's a whole river of tears.

Depending on your feelings, the option is there and I'm posting this for awareness as much as to recommend it. It's going to stay that way until there's another space revive on the server somewhere, I guess. Maybe pirates can start threads about something besides motherships for a while.

I suspect that's all most players will need to know about leaving the moon for a while. If you're going to log out, please see how far you can get them to chase you off of the spawn point before you do it. :laugh:

Same thing if you wanted to send a decoy. It's no good to lure them towards the station. Head into the edge of the safe zone and towards the planet. If you want to go to calypso there's no need to visit the SS at all, both because it's in the wrong direction, and it's potentially camped as well. If you get the prompt to enter the moon you can press 'cancel' and continue to fly around the safe zone freely.

If you go more than .09AU from the surface you will see a warning that you are leaving the arkadia moon. At .15 you hit PVP space. If you go outside of the .09AU level and then dip below it, you may be prompted to enter the moon again. You have to get at least a few meters out before it will prompt you.

So, while I was just frolicing around between the spawn point and the safe zone heading to Arkadia today, I accidentally hit ok instead of cancel. You normally spawn into the moon atmosphere at about 550 - 600 meters up so I just hit shift to head for space again, and then I had an idea. It's only .6AU across the safe zone but you have to go around the moon ...

So I took a waypoint at my spawning location, and headed around the moon until the waypoint was on the opposite side. I wasn't TOO precise but got a reading of .59xAU from the waypoint so close enough. I hit my thrusters (and a stopwatch) and headed straight towards it, at the moon. I clicked OK as fast as i could and hit the shift button as soon as the moon started to load. I got there the first time in 54 seconds. I relogged at the space station and did it again in almost exactly one minute.

So the point of this is that a couple of runs around the moon in space gave me pretty consistent times to make the same travel in 74 to 78 seconds in my quad. In a couple of attempts, one time I had a particularly bad loading delay and it took me almost 70 seconds to be fully respawned in space. What this means is:

It's faster to fly THROUGH the moon than to fly AROUND the moon.

For reference I'm testing using this computer and almost anything is going to give you faster load times than I'm getting. I'm not sure if the equus/firebird can make up the difference.

Any other fun or useful tips anyone has noticed?

Last edited:
I getting dizzy just reading about it. :eyecrazy:

I getting dizzy just reading about it. :eyecrazy:

:) well it IS mostly a post about flying around in circles lol. It's a neat space over there.

On a related note, I was pretty much planet bound all week last week but this weekend running around I noticed a different spawning behavior. I thought it was a bug at caly but it was repeated at ark. Since I'm under the impression MA would need a VU to adjust this, if it's been changed I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned it.

Heads up though. I was spawned into lootable PVP again yesterday. I had been chatting and when I realized I was in the red I was pretty shocked. Luckily no loot, at that time. At a later time while my screen was still rendering I received a PVP warning, but when fully rendered was in the safe zone within a tiny distance of the edge. The "entering PVP zone" warning was still in my message center.

I was at the edge of the zone and I couldn't see any quads around. TBH I didn't survey as thoroughly I normally would after spawning at the center of the zone - I bolted and got looted for just about 50 ped. Be CAREFUL up there you can get just a little too comfortable and you get a quick reminder. OTOH one pirate's $5 win will cost the platform somewhere between $50 and $500 as I avoid casual deposits for a couple of weeks so that's MAs economic incentive in action.

At arkadia I never saw any flash or pvp warning but was spawned something like .145AU from the station in a .15AU safe zone. Will test cyrene today if I have time.

In the tiny safe zones at the space stations this is a change that requires a little more caution: If you spawn in the correct orientation you could be in PVP space within less than a second of activating your thrusters.

doesnt moon have 2ped entrance fee?

The 2ped fee was removed in the last VU.

- The fee incurred when landing a spaceship on a planet has been removed. This change is intended to encourage more trade between planets and personal space travel in general. (More info here)

/Andy

Indeed. same as Caly's moon Monria.

No moon or planet has a 2 ped entry fee any more. I'm working on my third thruster since the announcement.

Burning more oil though lol ;)

Back