ComPet Announcement

+ REP to MA

nothing more to say !

I doubt he come back to EU, if he didn´t 1.5 years ago.

Also I think that ComPet had a chance to be successfully, but MA failed big time to listen to their beta testers.
The only thing they had focused on and developed were new skinns and maybe arena, no uniqueness, no variance. And then the last hope with the strongboxes, which showed how clueless they are.

Once again they were talking pretty loud what all will be available in their product, but never delivered it.

The only positive thing I see now is that I can move on. Take the loss, don´t wait for the relaunch they mentioned in their annual report, sell the moon deeds and finish my adventure here.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...-the-enigma!&p=3647150&viewfull=1#post3647150

He's posted here on this forum more recently. I hope Kim is back working on Calypso or EU at large full time. His work I really enjoyed

Definitely +rep to MA for this!

Though the only part of the statement that worries me is:
...exploring options for potential development and/or publishing partnerships with established mobile game organizations.

This could be taken several ways. Primarily it points to you not wanting to leave the mobile space yet which could mean you wanting to start a new mobile project, handing marketing and development of Compet over to another company or continuing to develop the Virtual Tycoon app to allow people to play more of EU on mobile.

If you're talking about possibly getting another company in on continuing development/marketing of Compet one has to ask the question what would the future of Compet deeds be? A lot of questions are raised:

1. If Compet development and marketing continues in the future with another company will the deeds still pay out? Will they continue to pay out now?
2. If people trade the deeds away will that adjust how the shares are calculated based on their being less in circulation?
3. Are the deeds that are traded destroyed? Who gets them when they are traded? Arkadia Studios? Does MA get them back? Will the traded deeds be used as an offering to other mobile companies coming on board as a perk?
4. If another company joins in on working on Compet and a new re-launch is planned will the traded deeds be up for sale again?
5. I can't imagine any mobile game company NOT wanting to re-skin and re-title if they are going to try a relaunch. If a re-launch is done but with a new skinning and new name with that effectively subvert the requirement to make payments to deed holders as it would no longer technically be branded as "Compet"?
6. Are there plans to remove the game from the app store?

I think compet deed holders need to be wary of this opportunity. It's not REQUIRED you trade your deeds and they don't really explain what happens if you don't trade your deeds. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I can't help but feel there's something you're not telling us here...

I just think that some people might welcome any opportunity to jump ship on the deeds regardless of the details but what if trading them away is a worse move than initially figured? What if 6 months after this deal a mobile game company comes on board and takes charge of Compet... they reskin it, change the name, make some tweaks and relaunch it. What if it's a hit at that point? Will the deeds still payout? Will those that traded for moon deeds be kicking themselves for trading? It just feels like a bit more information or some sort of a road map is needed with this to make an educated decision as an investor.

My vote is to just let Compet die, make the statement definitive that it's over instead of the less solid terms like "suspending" and "exploring options" and focus 100% of your effort on Entropia.

Last edited:
... the question what would the future of Compet deeds be? A lot of questions are raised:

The announcement is that they are removing compet deeds from the game :confused:

+Rep to MA for

1. Admitting their failure.

And more importantly

2. Compensating the compet deed holders. ( PS I am not)

Divinity

The announcement is that they are removing compet deeds from the game :confused:

That seems like an oversimplified assumption. The word "removing" doesn't appear anywhere in that announcement. All they say is that they are "suspending marketing and development". And they are giving people a chance to "trade compet deeds in for moon deeds" with no real explanation.

I mean how are they able to offer the exchange for moon deeds? Aren't moon deeds and asset of Arkadia Studios? How can MA just offer those to people on Arkadias behalf? Has Arakdia Studios make an announcement about this?

I don't know - I'm just putting it out there asking the questions others might not think to...

People wonder why they are always getting burned in this game and it's because they simply don't think to question things beyond face value. "Oh you're doing me a solid of letting me trade these worthless Compet deeds for the most promising asset in the game right now? Nothing to read into there - SOLD". :laugh:

That seems like an oversimplified assumption. The word "removing" doesn't appear anywhere in that announcement. All they say is that they are "suspending marketing and development". And they are giving people a chance to "trade compet deeds in for moon deeds" with no real explanation.

Fair enough.

I mean how are they able to offer the exchange for moon deeds? Aren't moon deeds and asset of Arkadia Studios? How can MA just offer those to people on Arkadias behalf? Has Arakdia Studios make an announcement about this?

I don't know - I'm just putting it out there asking the questions others might not think to...

Plenty of people are asking this. They will never explain back end financials but I'm confident that Arkadia Studios is properly compensated here, MA (presumably) purchasing their deeds to throw a bone to the loyal players who invested in compets helps several things along towards a desirable end.

Of course what happens at the back end is 100% speculation for most of us.

People wonder why they are always getting burned in this game and it's because they simply don't think to question things beyond face value. "Oh you're doing me a solid of letting me trade these worthless Compet deeds for the most promising asset in the game right now? Nothing to read into there - SOLD". :laugh:

Well:

As such, the MindArk Board of Directors has decided to suspend any further development or marketing of ComPet, and is exploring options for potential development and/or publishing partnerships with established mobile game organizations.

If I put that together with what you're saying, who knows you might just be the brightest banana in the whole bunch. :banana:

Weirder things have happened. Won't stop me from ditching these deeds I just grabbed though ;)

My vote is to just let Compet die, make the statement definitive that it's over instead of the less solid terms like "suspending" and "exploring options" and focus 100% of your effort on Entropia.

Me too. Just, for the record.

Last edited:
1)
If you're talking about possibly getting another company in on continuing development/marketing of Compet one has to ask the question what would the future of Compet deeds be? A lot of questions are raised:

1. If Compet development and marketing continues in the future with another company will the deeds still pay out? Will they continue to pay out now?
2. If people trade the deeds away will that adjust how the shares are calculated based on their being less in circulation?
3. Are the deeds that are traded destroyed? Who gets them when they are traded? Arkadia Studios? Does MA get them back? Will the traded deeds be used as an offering to other mobile companies coming on board as a perk?
4. If another company joins in on working on Compet and a new re-launch is planned will the traded deeds be up for sale again?
5. I can't imagine any mobile game company NOT wanting to re-skin and re-title if they are going to try a relaunch. If a re-launch is done but with a new skinning and new name with that effectively subvert the requirement to make payments to deed holders as it would no longer technically be branded as "Compet"?

I think compet deed holders need to be wary of this opportunity. It's not REQUIRED you trade your deeds and they don't really explain what happens if you don't trade your deeds. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I can't help but feel there's something you're not telling us here...

I just think that some people might welcome any opportunity to jump ship on the deeds regardless of the details but what if trading them away is a worse move than initially figured? What if 6 months after this deal a mobile game company comes on board and takes charge of Compet... they reskin it, change the name, make some tweaks and relaunch it. What if it's a hit at that point? Will the deeds still payout? Will those that traded for moon deeds be kicking themselves for trading? It just feels like a bit more information or some sort of a road map is needed with this to make an educated decision as an investor.

Some good questions here. So MA, Kim, whoever. 1 or 2? Be 100% clear please.

2)

Definitely +rep to MA for this!

Though the only part of the statement that worries me is:

This could be taken several ways. Primarily it points to you not wanting to leave the mobile space yet which could mean you wanting to start a new mobile project, handing marketing and development of Compet over to another company or continuing to develop the Virtual Tycoon app to allow people to play more of EU on mobile.

My interpretation is that they are looking to either sell compet or partner with a better established mobile game company rather than just throwing it in the bin.

Picture it like a mine which is no longer profitable to exctract resources from, you can A sell it to someone who has the tools to make it profitable, B partner with someone who has the tools, or C explore none of the possibilities and let it sit there doing nothing for you

I dont see what's cause for worrying about that statement

Last edited:
Waiting for Rick’s comment:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Haha i only just read this as just got in from work? Someone should pop round to make sure Rick is ok. The only supporter of Compets has really had dreams shattered now.

Haha i only just read this as just got in from work? Someone should pop round to make sure Rick is ok. The only supporter of Compets has really had dreams shattered now.

Maybe he throwed his PC out of the window

It's one thing to get some compensation for the deeds. It's another to be out all the money spent leveling and playing the game. But I guess that's the same with everything in Entropia. It's always a risk.

That said,
As such, the MindArk Board of Directors has decided to suspend any further development or marketing of ComPet, and is exploring options for potential development and/or publishing partnerships with established mobile game organizations.

I wonder if this means MA wants to sell the ComPet IP. Maybe some form of the game will live on.

Im very happy mindark took that step and stated the obvious. Trying to find a buyer for compets to scrap back a small token of the investment is also a good idea, i wish them best luck with that.

Exchanging compet deeds into ark moon deeds is a well made move. It will probably apease some people and maybe prevent a few people to sell out and leave for good after this announcment. All the better that the moon deeds are still not tradeable so everyone can cool down a bit after the "sudden shock"

I can only speculate if mindark bought the deeds from ark or not but i believe they did. With their cut on the deeds out of comission and a bulk buy discount i'd speculate ark gets like between 1.2 - 1.5 Usd per deed, paid when the exchanged deeds are counted after the Exchange NPC's removal end of december.

Ark will be happy because they most likely still sit on quite a few deeds and they get real money for it.

Mindark is content, because they can put a closure to the compet disaster and strongly soften the image damage they tank from this by offering a compensation when they wasn't obliged to.

Participants that speculated and bought compet deeds very cheap are very happey. Original investors are not happy at all but they are given a way not to antagonize mindark forever and run, screaming mad words of broken dreams, with their remaining money in their pockets.

Someone mentioned hes happy he can now buy moon deeds cheaper than in webshop and it is an awesome deal.
Some people also thought buying Compet deeds for 110 Ped each in auction was a good deal, because they cost 120 Ped in webshop.

The price put on the deeds in the webshop is the estimated value of the issuer. If that reflect the real market at all when the deeds become tradeable , is also a speculative topic.

All in all im very happy we can put compets behind us and move forward

Nice. Now please make this game better instead of branching out into all kinds of other crap.

OMG, I don't know what to think at the moment I'm in shock. I need to calculate what that means for the thousands of deeds I own. What it does mean if MA and Ark can sell the deeds they're struggling to move and not lose face with getting those deeds to a position they're tradable...then it's win-win all round.

Firstly I feel extremely sad for Compet and all those involved, I was only in there a few mins ago doing some raids. Given the right content it could have been a wonderful game. The 'collaboration' with EU just wasn't there thinking about how it might interact with EU, nor was the appetite for content other than PVP. Although if I'm honest, I don't think MA ever wanted to link it to EU.

I backed it initially before even MA knew what they were going to do with these deeds they sold in 2014. That's the reality of it, and prayed that the expertise of the company would make it work. Even though Compet wasn't what I wanted, I hoped and dreamed the content I wanted would come eventually....even if it took years.

I would say to Mindark though, please don't give up on an App, build a mini EU for pets that can run on mobile. The beautiful thing about that is your training players to understand the concept of EU at the same time, so it's much easier to transfer customers to your main game. That said, I'd want to see it working before I bought into it again.

I'm sorry I gave the development team a hard time in some posts, the situation become quite desperate.

I guess this means, I've become an Ark Moon fan overnight. Now to work out what the financial impact will be.

To be fair MA sold Compet to their EU customers, so it was going to be resolved in some way at some point.

I just feel a little sad right now that something I've stuck with for 4 years has died. Maybe the mods will delete the compet sections then in the forum, and put the whole sorry mess behind us.

RIP Compet,...…... think I need a beer and a calculator.

Rick

edit: Message for MA.....can I have couple of my pets transferred to EU please. Kiwi (mythic) and T-Rex (Legendary). Stick it in my inventory.

Last edited:

Yes, I feel really bad about him right now. Mostly due to his last post a week or so ago on the Compet forum about how Compets wasn't dead and all that MA had to be doing to make it right. I just didn't feel it was worth a reply. But it is very good that MA is at least open about this and will learn from this big error.

Last edited:
I would say to Mindark though, please don't give up on an App, build a mini EU for pets that can run on mobile.
With all due respect - I know you are not happy with the news and that is understandable. But the biggest lesson learned from all this is that they tried to enter a market in which they did not have the means to compete.

Continuing to waste their resources in a market they can’t handle would not be good for anyone.

Yes, I feel really bad about him right now. Mostly due to his last post a week or so ago on the Compet forum about how Compets wasn't dead and all that MA had to be doing to make it right. I just didn't feel it was worth a reply. But it is very good that MA is at least open about this and will learn from this big error.

What's funny is they made compet forum unable to be replied to now, and so the one site where actual compet players may be going to see what's going on has nothing, not even a peep about this yet, lol.

same with the facebook page... nothing...

aw well, guess I'm back on Calypso now til xmas, lol.

Last edited:
OMG, I don't know what to think at the moment I'm in shock. I need to calculate what that means for the thousands of deeds I own. What it does mean if MA and Ark can sell the deeds they're struggling to move and not lose face with getting those deeds to a position they're tradable...then it's win-win all round.

Firstly I feel extremely sad for Compet and all those involved, I was only in there a few mins ago doing some raids. Given the right content it could have been a wonderful game. The 'collaboration' with EU just wasn't there thinking about how it might interact with EU, nor was the appetite for content other than PVP. Although if I'm honest, I don't think MA ever wanted to link it to EU.

I backed it initially before even MA knew what they were going to do with these deeds they sold in 2014. That's the reality of it, and prayed that the expertise of the company would make it work. Even though Compet wasn't what I wanted, I hoped and dreamed the content I wanted would come eventually....even if it took years.

I would say to Mindark though, please don't give up on an App, build a mini EU for pets that can run on mobile. The beautiful thing about that is your training players to understand the concept of EU at the same time, so it's much easier to transfer customers to your main game. That said, I'd want to see it working before I bought into it again.

I'm sorry I gave the development team a hard time in some posts, the situation become quite desperate.

I guess this means, I've become an Ark Moon fan overnight. Now to work out what the financial impact will be.

To be fair MA sold Compet to their EU customers, so it was going to be resolved in some way at some point.

I just feel a little sad right now that something I've stuck with for 4 years has died. Maybe the mods will delete the compet sections then in the forum, and put the whole sorry mess behind us.

RIP Compet,...…... think I need a beer and a calculator.

Rick

edit: Message for MA.....can I have couple of my pets transferred to EU please. Kiwi and Rob dino. Stick it in my inventory, and I'll take any loss on the chin.

officially that decision of MA makes you Ark moon owner :laugh:

officially that decision of MA makes you Ark moon owner :laugh:

I know a few players with thousands of deeds, so need a chat with them. I still haven't done my calcs, I don't even want to right now....hahaha

I know a few players with thousands of deeds, so need a chat with them. I still haven't done my calcs, I don't even want to right now....hahaha

well you should be happy. you are at least getting about 20 times its actual value (and that would be valued really high)

MA went so far from the original plan for the game got years of delay for releasing the game and what they released was total disaster.
To overpower defensive pets was even worst for ppl that try to play the game after game was released it just made arena slow and boring and pointless.
Now after MA didnt manage to made at least one of the promises they give for Compet supporters (Not even one !) they just value it down to other failing project at ratio 5:2...
Sooo after waiting 5 years we have to be happy for getting anything at all...
So just keep in mind this game now owns the Guinness record for failing too :) 2 mil taken from investors down the drain.

well you should be happy. you are at least getting about 20 times its actual value (and that would be valued really high)

I'm not entirely happy. It's still 500 ped of Compet deeds swapped for 100 ped of Ark deeds. For deeds the community bought at the original price.

So many firms collapse because of management arrogance to accept their decisions were wrong, add to that the stubbornness to change direction and make it work. Look at Nokia as a brilliant example. You know they had a Swedish guy go to them with a iPhone style swipe screen way before Apple bought his patents after the poor guy went bust. Nokia ignored him. The world is littered with failed company that make bad choices.

MA could add a paid forest to compet and develop loot systems, maybe they had a ceiling on the size of the program mobiles could take right now. They could develop areas outside of the village to accommodate EU style game play. There is lots MA "could" or could've done. But they were determined to not move away from the PVP model.

Look what's done is done. But lets not point the finger at the investors, we were behind the firm, and wanted it to work. The firm would not listen to what we wanted.

I could kick up an almighty fuss that I consider their equality swap unreasonable. But EU works in mysterious ways. Plus we're not going to change a board decision. So it is, what it is.

Rick

edit: Right now all I want is enough income from these Ark Moon deeds to feed my mythical EU pets that are desperate for content. I'll cross that bridge first, and then think about what I'll do in game moving forward.

edit 2: What about all the diamonds burned up since June? Are we going to get one final deed payout first? I maxed loads of trinkets in there to level 10.

edit 3: ok I worked it out it's still a huge loss. It still MA's f*uckup and boiler room sales pitches. If MA were McDonalds you'd get one chicken nugget and two fries in a Happy Meal. ok I did laugh at my own analogy just now (writing on the fly..hahha).....but that doesn't make it right does it.

edit 4: There "comprehensive marketing campaign" consisted of throwing the game at 5 or so pro streamers that hated it. Whenever I watched their stream you could feel them cringingly making time to play, to complete their commitment to MA. Yet still MA refused to change direction. I'm out off here, because my tone is changing for the worst. Laters EU, hof it up out there.

Last edited:
My interpretation is that they are looking to either sell compet or partner with a better established mobile game company rather than just throwing it in the bin.

Picture it like a mine which is no longer profitable to exctract resources from, you can A sell it to someone who has the tools to make it profitable, B partner with someone who has the tools, or C explore none of the possibilities and let it sit there doing nothing for you

I dont see what's cause for worrying about that statement

I agree that sounds like the intention, but no "established mobile game company" will touch this rotting corpse with a bargepole, so that is the end of it, and any time and effort MA spend on trying to pretend otherwise will be wasted.

I agree that sounds like the intention, but no "established mobile game company" will touch this rotting corpse with a bargepole, so that is the end of it, and any time and effort MA spend on trying to pretend otherwise will be wasted.

Crazy as it sounds, if it didn't cost a lot of money to make some changes, this is what I'd do with it.

Make all pets the balanced version, years was wasted trying to balance 4 different types of pets, and MA could never get the maths right. That way players would feel it was more fair and feel more likely to compete.

Change the forest to diamond burn use, where you can loot a mixture of diamonds, ped (and new rubies) and maybe even trinkets and shards. Therefore gold is only used from mines for pet upgrades and village builds. That could push deposits.

Make it so the Arena PVP needs rubies (not gold), which you need to loot from the forest. Leave the automated pets running in the Arena. Therefore you can't do your daily mission without the rubies, so have to go in the forest to get them and spend diamonds. Win-win

Change the stats of the library to reflect the pets are all balanced.

That's it, and see if it would work. That is not asking for huge development either (just some minor changes_ and MA have nothing to lose by trying it (from a player prospective) Then if it did, MA could sell it again in future.

So they only really need some calcs from EU to add to compet, to work out how the loot would work in the forest. It's so close to making it work, just needs come creativity.

Delete the quests, I never used it anyway. The above strips out loads of code, and room to add in the loot algorithm.

It really would be worth those minor changes rather than let it die.

Rick

edit: and give deed holders a token coin in EU that we can buy deeds at half price in the future, should it be successful.

edit 2: do a deal with Ni-x to make those changes for a percent of the revenue. if you don't want too pay anything. Or tell us how much it would cost to make those changes.

Last edited:
Rick, we spoken 12h prior about this situation can happen.

edit 2: do a deal with Ni-x to make those changes for a percent of the revenue. if you don't want too pay anything. Or tell us how much it would cost to make those changes.

We talked about this, but sad to say this is the main issue. Since MA did outsource the project MA wasn't willing to give up EU's inter-workings and is why we got the version of Compets that we did.

Rick, we spoken 12h prior about this situation can happen.

I tell you something I learned today. When players say "MA doesn't care what value players put on items in game", they do when it suits them.

I'm going to give MA the benefit of doubt (yet again), and see how much they support this New moon.

Rick

We talked about this, but sad to say this is the main issue. Since MA did outsource the project MA wasn't willing to give up EU's inter-workings and is why we got the version of Compets that we did.

Yeah and what's worse, is MA didn't tell us they intended to outsource it, it was McMormick that told us.

I really wanted to believe that MA had the creativity, will, knowledge and more importantly desire to want to make something amazing. That's why I feel really let down by it all. Sure the money is one thing, it's the continued battering away at my trust and belief in the company, I'm running out of excuses for them. They have an uphill struggle to fix community issues.

I was going to say "I hope" they can fix that....then I stopped writing, because I don't have hope anymore.

Rick

Back