Letter from the CEO

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=3]Letter from the CEO[/h]

Entropians,

When I was announced as the new CEO of MindArk I stated that one of my priorities would be improved communication between MindArk and the community. As you may have noticed, there has not yet been so much communication from my side. The main reason is that I did not want to announce new ideas and plans without first engaging with the employees at MindArk. It is important that everyone within the company steer in the same direction and look towards the future with enthusiasm. In the eight months since being appointed as CEO, I have met intensively with the various MindArk departments to solicit suggestions on the best way forward, as well on refining the near and long-term vision for Entropia Universe. We now have a solid plan in place to implement that vision.

I realized the incredible potential of Entropia Universe immediately upon creating my avatar and logging in for the first time. It has now become my job to ensure that MindArk achieves that potential. There are many things that we can improve in Entropia Universe, including the relationship and communication with the community. There are many different communication channels where we plan to be more active, including community forums, Discord, and possibly Reddit.

[h=4]2017 in Retrospect[/h]
Before looking ahead to the future, let’s review some of the things accomplished during 2017. In terms of content we are always working to expand storylines, missions and events and 2017 was no exception. Last year’s Merry Mayhem event featured the first implementation of a new event system that is more integrated into the client and accommodates new event formats.

With Loot 2.0 we revamped the hunting loot formula in order to achieve a more flexible, balanced, and rewarding system. Those changes have led to significantly improved loot returns for the vast majority of players and an overall better loot balance. Further improvements to the loot system have been ongoing since the initial implementation of Loot 2.0.

During the second half of the year some of our participants experienced serious lag issues. While the issue itself was not an isolated one with a single cause, a complete review of the engine was made. In addition to fixing the issue, several improvements were made to other systems which made the core server infrastructure more robust as a result. This work has been continuing throughout 2018, with the aim of performing a similar overview and optimization of the client to ensure that Entropia becomes more stable and smooth-running.

[h=4]2018 and Beyond[/h]
For the remainder of 2018 and into the early part of 2019, MindArk will be primarily focused on improving existing Entropia Universe systems and content.

This does not mean that no new content will be added or that no new events will be implemented, however it does mean that there will be a few selected areas that will receive the bulk of our attention. One of these focus areas will be system interaction, modernizing some of the legacy systems we have today, and upgrading others to conform to industry standards. These efforts will improve avatar interaction with the universe and feel much more engaging.

Some of you may have noticed that we are inviting a group of participants to MindArk headquarters to help test and provide feedback for some of the upcoming improvements to the client camera system. These changes are something we believe will benefit newcomers and veterans alike.

A similar overhaul will be performed for the various user interfaces, where the aim is to create a more visually appealing, unified and responsive experience. This will be an iterative process to ensure that we are moving in the right direction.

Moving forward, I will share periodic Development Manifestos like this one on the Entropia Universe Buzz page to keep the community informed of MindArk’s design philosophies, decision-making process, future plans, and more.

Finally, I am planning to do an AMA (Ask Me Anything) sometime in the near future, either on the Entropia Universe subreddit or on PlanetCalypsoForum.com. More detailed info to come soon!

Kind regards,
Henrik Nel
CEO, MindArk PE AB

Originally Posted Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay some progress!

I'm hopeful but wary, but communication is always a great step forward.

It lives!!!!

Pretty light on the details for 8 months of discussing things with devs and making plans.

In light of this new "better communication" policy any estimate when we might hear from you again other than just "in the future"?

Nice to hear your focus is on improving existing systems. Not so nice to hear that your starting with the interface/camera. Seems more like you played the game for the first time and rather than wanting to learn the existing UI you demanded they rebuild it so it was easier for you lol

Anyways, thanks for the message and welcome aboard.... Please don't let us down.

Well, this is entirely a coincidence, but what I thought when reading this and no replies yet was: Not Even Worth Commenting On - letters NEWCO, so I added the word enthusiastically... Not Even Worth Commenting Enthusiastically On. - NEW CEO.

That aside, I'd have preferred the not quite so new ceo to get done the following: 1 positive each for as many areas as possible in a bits and bobs vu. Something along the lines of:
a new rk-40 for faster repairing
a new use for composite planks to make harvesting useful again
repair a shop bug
allow pec or 10 pec increments on the auction
etc etc. They must have a list of little things we would like, surely. I didn't know camera changes was one of those, although it might be I suppose...

[h=3]Letter from the CEO[/h]

.....snip
Finally, I am planning to do an AMA (Ask Me Anything) sometime in the near future, either on the Entropia Universe subreddit or on PlanetCalypsoForum.com. More detailed info to come soon!
!
Kind regards,
Henrik Nel
CEO, MindArk PE AB

Originally Posted Here

Please refer to various support cases re space that have been sent over the last (at least) 6 years ;)

:wise:

This AmA thing sounds good, as I have some questions that are really important for my personal future in EU.

The sooner the better.

++++ for the initiative ,
loot 2.0 ? meh increased returns? if you say so ... go check in the data my returns , and then we can talk about it.

but yea overall its good, lets say , looking forward for the new implements.

Translation: We get that many of you are really pissed with what we've done over the last 12-18 months. We also have no idea what to do next but please let this fluff pass as state of the puniverse address.

Anyways, nice of you to come out of hiding.

This AmA thing sounds good, as I have some questions that are really important for my personal future in EU.

The sooner the better.

That's indeed pretty brave if it should ever take place. I know I'm too much of a heckler myself to stay constructive in a session like that. Yet i'm sure there are folks who have some pertinent questions to ask and are able to keep their temper under control.

If anyone does get the ear of the ceo during that session, then please do ask who the 12 mln $ derptoken donor was and how MA intents to spent all that pinke pinke :wtg:

Good to see this communication and hopefully MindArk pulls through with these changes. I look forward to the updates of existing systems as I believe many of them are long overdue for some change. Also, I am the admin of both the EU subreddit and the owner of the EU discord. I’m more than happy to help out on both of those platforms in whatever way I can.

Links to both:
Discord: discord.gg/bdDeqtn
Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/entropiauniverse

I should mention the subreddit could use more traffic but the discord has a great community that is engaging, helpful, and active. I welcome you to check it out sometime

Patience...

...young paduans

It always starts off sounding promising...

I'll wait and see.

I have just returned to the game after taking a year off. I can say some things have changed.

But we do need to move on to bigger and better things. The release of a new moon was the stupidest thing I have since. We now have Calypso, Mornia, Arkadia, The Moon, Underground, Toulan (or how ever it is spelt), Next Island, Rocktopia, Cyrene. I am sure I miss one.

This is just too much! Maybe if we have 50k - 100k online players maybe but currently I am sure the active logged on players is around 1000 maybe 2000 at a push. The world is just to big for how small of a player base me have.

I think it is time to remove items or compress the world.

That's indeed pretty brave if it should ever take place.
Why not, look at the old interviews - they always can resort to "can't go into details" while vaguely hinting at something that will "take your breath away".

Very weak statement from CEO... I guess we will have to wait a little more.

Why not, look at the old interviews - they always can resort to "can't go into details" while vaguely hinting at something that will "take your breath away".

Pretty much the gist of this email.

An AskMeAnything session could spectacularly backfire if the CEO comes unprepared & unwilling to answer critical questions.

If it's an unscripted session then i can't see too many folks itching to ask about this fancy schmancy new cam system.

Deeptoken, Compet, MA 2.0 claims about better loot, Statues, Space, Hangars, Exploits, Ark Land plots etc...Almost everyone's got a bugbear or two by now.

I think it is time to remove items or compress the world.

i think it's time for the voting terminals, as i tend to disagree with most statements here... :scratch2:

How dull was that.

Since you’re talking to the community, relax a bit, chill sound cool. It’s not a shareholders meeting…..it’s a game right “entertainment, excitement… ring those bells fella”.

Hey folks; I have been so busy lately engaging with my amazing staff at Mindark, and have we got some brilliant plans ahead….let me tell you, I am so excited. Although first off we need to get some dull stuff sorted under hood, like updating and modernising some old systems, getting them ready for comes ahead.

We’re going to improve the graphics and visuals, making everything more responsive and entertaining. Because you deserve what the engine can bring to the game and we want to bring it to you. Look out for our Buzz feeds; I will push them out to you as soon as we can, we know you love them, we do too.

Look; I would really love to tell you more folks, especially the new content, although I just popped in to say hi. I’ll promise you once we have this under the hood stuff resolved, we’re planning to move forward with some superb content.

How about an ask me anything session? yeah that sounds good. I’ll get that sorted, catch you soon amazing Entropians, get those questions ready.

Laters

Hen, :)

That was Rick pretending to be exciting Hen.

So laters, love Rick...hahaha.

i saw a ceo statment and thought "at least something is finally going on" and after 3 lines it was a pain to read more...

i m impressed that there is actually so many lines tiped for such no content..

"Hey guyz, we havent done anything last few years exept developing a stupid app, and we dont plan to do anything in near future, have a good day :D"

ps: the camera thing is a joke! i can list you 100 things that entropia needs, i can tell you nobody gives a shit of updating the camera angles. Why dont you start a poll asking players to tell you what this game actually needs? then you can start hiring a lot of programmers :D

I expected more from this Ceo but we got notting empty words

How dull was that.

Since you’re talking to the community, relax a bit, chill sound cool. It’s not a shareholders meeting…..it’s a game right “entertainment, excitement… ring those bells fella”.

Hey folks; I have been so busy lately engaging with my amazing staff at Mindark, and have we got some brilliant plans ahead….let me tell you, I am so excited. Although first off we need to get some dull stuff sorted under hood, like updating and modernising some old systems, getting them ready for comes ahead.

We’re going to improve the graphics and visuals, making everything more responsive and entertaining. Because you deserve what the engine can bring to the game and we want to bring it to you. Look out for our Buzz feeds; I will push them out to you as soon as we can, we know you love them, we do too.

Look; I would really love to tell you more folks, especially the new content, although I just popped in to say hi. I’ll promise you once we have this under the hood stuff resolved, we’re planning to move forward with some superb content.

How about an ask me anything session? yeah that sounds good. I’ll get that sorted, catch you soon amazing Entropians, get those questions ready.

Laters

Hen, :)

That was Rick pretending to be exciting Hen.

So laters, love Rick...hahaha.

Problem is... "having played Entropia for X years" is not a requirement to become the CEO. The CEO position is generally reserved for stuffy business men (not gamers) only focused on the whitepapers and bottom line numbers from a corporate standpoint.

It's nice that this CEO has at least tried the game but the bigger question is "for how long?". A few hours isn't enough time to gain a good understanding of this game.

Also AMA won't happen - if it does it's going to be the most flaccid AMA in the history of time with preselected questions like "what's your favorite avatar hair style" and "if you were any mob in EU what would you be?" lol

Problem is... "having played Entropia for X years" is not a requirement to become the CEO. The CEO position is generally reserved for stuffy business men (not gamers) only focused on the whitepapers and bottom line numbers from a corporate standpoint.

It's nice that this CEO has at least tried the game but the bigger question is "for how long?". A few hours isn't enough time to gain a good understanding of this game.

Also AMA won't happen - if it does it's going to be the most flaccid AMA in the history of time with preselected questions like "what's your favorite avatar hair style" and "if you were any mob in EU what would you be?" lol

He's in his 30's or so isn't he, youngest CEO they've ever had. The super cool, I'm "with it" technology cool nerdy generation.

It takes me back to my clubbing days, when my mates used to send me in to chat up a group of hot women and get them laughing. Then they'd all pile over and join in. Then I used to leave them too it, and go mental on the dance floor...haha. Never was into wasting my night chatting up skirt for the whole evening.

It's like that line from Pulp Fiction "just becasue you are a character, doesn't mean you have character", haha.

Let's not forget the dev team are looking to him for that cool inspiration, FFS we are too.

So laughing....awwww ok I'll give him a virtual hug, even though he f***ed me over on my compet deeds.

I'm out, laters.

Rick

Are you Willing to do it live!!!

There are platforms like youtube or twitch were you can do an AMA live and you can answer directly to questions. We dare you to do it Live!!!!!!

Dear CEO,

You said that your priorities was to improve communication between MA and community.

But you didn't do it yet, cause you have met "intensively" whith MA's employees, for the last 9 months... (MA is about 10K employees I guess)

To improve communication whith community don't means only to talk to them. (especially whith this kind of vague post)
It means to really LISTEN to them. :wise:

You can find tons of threads on this forum where people tell you what they want, and how frustrated they are that you never "understand" what their need is.

Just for an example; I'd like to hear about a single player thinking that a new camera system is a prioritie. :rolleyes:

Fix bugs FIRST please.

You really want to please most of players ? Bring back voting booths ! :wtg:

First, I am excited to see some communication from the CEO - let alone anyone at MA. I'm disappointed it took this long and really feel like there is no reason or excuse for this. It's good business practice and communication skill to at least say "hey I am doing this and that and will work to get more communication to you soon" and so on. Not just radio silence for months and then say "hey I'm going to improve communication."
I also am hopeful from his letter and feel like I get a sense that he does have intentions to do more than in the recent past. However, I can't help but recall the 20x I've felt that way before. His letter seems like a template for other MA state of the universe and other communications I've seen before. (The hey -we did all this cool stuff this year - this is what we plan for next year. And then none of it happens for 2 years if at all Thing)
Honestly - I want the CEO to put $50 on his ped card. After the depo "fee" it's what like 47 peds? Then go out and do some activity - you choose. Tell me how long that lasts and tell me if as a customer and consumer you feel satisfied with how your money was spent.
What makes EU great and different from other games is the real economy. This is also what contributes to it being less popular - how can you compete with me spending $60 on another MMO that I've played for hundreds of hours over 3 years. I can (and have many many many times) go through that same $60 in a few hours, maybe a day or two, a week or two at most.
CEO- you gotta make this game cheaper to play period. I've played it for YEARS and when I add up all I've spent. I look at it and it kind of makes me ill. How can I turn around and then just toss in another couple hundred dollars after seeing that history? The only reason I do is because of how much I enjoy the game and believe in the vision.
The game is full of helpful people - almost spam free, full of player created content, and ultimate freedom to do whatever you want and be whoever you want to be.

But you didn't do it yet, cause you have met "intensively" whith MA's employees, for the last 9 months... (MA is about 10K employees I guess)

10K? whoa - try TEN. If they have 100 I'd be shocked.

10K? whoa - try TEN. If they have 100 I'd be shocked.

Think financial report included 47 including sex women or something like that. :p

Also I expect the AMA to be more of a q&a. Itll be impotant to do it live but there will be a lot of trolls.

Back