Letter from the CEO

A game such as EU needs genuine success stories. I do not feel that such stories can happen with this system, because there is no obvious success path that one could take, and decide to invest in game and trust in the fact that it will be successful. I know that "EU is dynamic" and we can work with this, but if this dynamic nature is like a hurricane, is just chaos. A level of chaos is always good, but if there is nothing but that, it will hurt the trust of the player base, and in the end, it will hurt the bottom line of the company.
It is frustrating that in EU skills do not seem to be as important as they could be...

What he said! Couldn't agree more with you. +rep

Some one on MindArk please listen to this veteran player.

Playgame is boring, constant losses and no hope for a big loot that eventualy will even out a little all those lost peds. Why bother to play?!

Dear Henrik Nel,

You have a problem of trust. The main thing EU sells is the fact that it is RCE. For this reason, the features based on look and feel are not of such high importance as the aspects of the economy that are impacted. People care less about how things look and more about the impact on the pedcard.

Loot 2.0 is a nice change, in the sense that it removed the variation from loot, but a side effect of that change is that it made it clear that with whatever setup you play, you will always lose unless you hit some nice markup. And because the economy is not properly designed, the probability to get enough markup is rather low. For this reason, the price on most items dropped lately, as people don't trust they can be successful with them anymore. Crafting and mining are 2 important systems in EU that needs careful strategic design. Making those work is more important than any feature you plan to release.

Again, EU players are usually not naive and they understand that for playing the game, one must pay. Any profit one manages to make, is from other players, not from beating the system. For this reason, there has to be a way for players to find things other people need. As it is, no one needs much from what other players can offer. Except for healers, maybe...

IMO, EU could be more successful if the cost of play would be lower and people would be encouraged to play for longer with the same amount of cash. You did that with loot 2.0. But the game is still expensive for what it offers.

In reality you offer time on your servers. You put a price on that. You could choose to sell more time for less, rather than selling less time for more. That way, you can have more players around and people would have more opportunities to interact with each other. In exchange for that, more people could become paying customers. If you think about it, a player that plays on a budget, it will play until that budget is spent, and then stop. If one has to stop long before he expects, the probability to come back, will drop.
A game such as EU needs genuine success stories. I do not feel that such stories can happen with this system, because there is no obvious success path that one could take, and decide to invest in game and trust in the fact that it will be successful. I know that "EU is dynamic" and we can work with this, but if this dynamic nature is like a hurricane, is just chaos. A level of chaos is always good, but if there is nothing but that, it will hurt the trust of the player base, and in the end, it will hurt the bottom line of the company.

It is frustrating that in EU skills do not seem to be as important as they could be. I will not insist on this topic. They do help, but when you have them, you do not feel that they do much for you. With the new loot system, where the loot is more based on expenses and less on mob type/level, you could make it that at higher skill levels, things can become more spectacular in some way...
Good luck with your new job.

Well said +rep

Respect to BlackHawk!! Very well said !

While he nailed essence of EU and problems in EU, what did he said? Obvious things, things what are crystal clear in RCE game. Things what are obvious now, was obvious a year ago or 3 years ago.
I was questioning myself,why MA is not addressing those core problems all those years I do play EU and come to conclusion,because it is to complicated at given moment,because they need to hire personal who understands economic and gaming and psychology. I guess I was wrong all the time. People who are in charge in MA simply dont understand what they are selling.

Q: its a game?
Q: its a bird, or a car?
No it is a cucumber, lets paint it pink with purple dots and we will sell it by tons!! It have huge potential but it needs to be painted.

I saw such attitude from previous CEO and I see it now from current. Sad to say,but huge potential what Entropia Universe really have is going to be unused and unexplored with management like that.

Respect to BlackHawk!! Very well said !

Sad to say,but huge potential what Entropia Universe really have is going to be unused and unexplored with management like that.

Also respect to BlackHawk from me - great post!
And ditto to Crig. Most of what EU's success is from is hidden inside the black box of loot mechanics in my opinion, coupled with the concept of tt and tt+mu returns.

One of the driving forces used to be being able to get better mus as you skilled up.

You don't get to see that potential just by logging in for the first time unless you happen to be a genius "life, the universe, and everything" type of person.
And that is partly the point - players also have to discover this potential at a deeper level, but possibly initially attracted by simpler, well-functioning gameplay and features. I no longer feel confident that higher skills will help me much anymore, so I'm even losing a feeling I had discovered for myself in past gameplay. I no longer feel it will be worth getting harvesting skills, or mindforce, or putting a building and vegetable garden up and gaining skills on my land plot. What is it for?

Last edited:
For the love of Lootius don't #&@* with the camera again! There are at least 500 things i could name that would bring better development yields than messing with the camera. Of all the retarded reasons to spend resources to finally bring players to HQ for feedback...

Sigh

Anyway, welcome new guy. Thanks for the effort. Good luck with the wolves.

I wish you'd experienced PE and EU but i guess that's expecting a bit much at this point.

Dear Henrik Nel,
You have a problem of trust. The main thing EU sells is the fact that it is RCE. For this reason, the features based on look and feel are not of such high importance as the aspects of the economy that are impacted. People care less about how things look and more about the impact on the pedcard.
Loot 2.0 is a nice change, in the sense that it removed the variation from loot, but a side effect of that change is that it made it clear that with whatever setup you play, you will always lose unless you hit some nice markup. And because the economy is not properly designed, the probability to get enough markup is rather low. For this reason, the price on most items dropped lately, as people don't trust they can be successful with them anymore. Crafting and mining are 2 important systems in EU that needs careful strategic design. Making those work is more important than any feature you plan to release.
Again, EU players are usually not naive and they understand that for playing the game, one must pay. Any profit one manages to make, is from other players, not from beating the system. For this reason, there has to be a way for players to find things other people need. As it is, no one needs much from what other players can offer. Except for healers, maybe...
IMO, EU could be more successful if the cost of play would be lower and people would be encouraged to play for longer with the same amount of cash. You did that with loot 2.0. But the game is still expensive for what it offers.
In reality you offer time on your servers. You put a price on that. You could choose to sell more time for less, rather than selling less time for more. That way, you can have more players around and people would have more opportunities to interact with each other. In exchange for that, more people could become paying customers. If you think about it, a player that plays on a budget, it will play until that budget is spent, and then stop. If one has to stop long before he expects, the probability to come back, will drop.
It is frustrating that in EU skills do not seem to be as important as they could be. I will not insist on this topic. They do help, but when you have them, you do not feel that they do much for you. With the new loot system, where the loot is more based on expenses and less on mob type/level, you could make it that at higher skill levels, things can become more spectacular in some way...

Perfect. As if my tongue said it.

Dear Henrik Nel,

Quoted again for emphasis.

I'm actually not unhappy with (most aspects of) EU gameplay right now. I'm just noting that for a moment of positivity. It DOES continue to grow, and improve. But there is still much left to the draw of the loot engine and it is limiting the game's demographic. Mindark continues to lean on the crutch of addiction and so fumbles a bit on the art of attraction.

In regards to retention, still seems to be "the ones who don't get hooked will filter themselves out after they lose enough". BlackHawk's points here would certainly be a good step in holding them here until they actually find enough interest in some aspect of this sandbox to become members of a community that is based in something besides shared addiction and empty promises.

I'm a long time in and while this bit of reaching out puts the torch back to a couple of old fires - making the game more accessible continues to be, IMO, the path to further success. But I need to be able to recommend the game without embarrassment, first. :ahh:

Thanks for the letter Henrik. Return to sender.

I'd rather you cancel whatever you have planned with camera angles and let my Goldcard keep working.
However time has now run out and I've now regrettably had to cancel it.

It would be helpful if you listen to what your playerbase want addressed, there is no shortage of feedback on this forum for you to read.

No one, literally no one cares about the camera. If your goal is to try to make the game look and feel more like other top tier mmos its a wasted effort, it doesnt help the new player experience or player retention just annoys the players you already have. What needs fixing first and foremost is the economy.

Loot 2.0 is a very good move and its working, but crafting and mining lag behind, especially crafting, mining id argue is actually fine as it is and again as the other guy said a consequence of that is markup on everything is low as everyone goes to hunt because the new system is really good and large stock piles of resources are built up but very few new crafters emerge and honestly theres very little motivation to become a crafter. Explosives are a joke ofc as are the fact that top setups in both mining and hunting are UL and require little to no input from crafters (except a few enhancers) loot 2.0 gives you the oppurtunity to add better items to the game without breaking dpp thresholds etc so do it but make some of them craftable not just buyable from webstore (unique blades) or event prizes only. Maybe a "UL" version of these new weapons/finders could be a rare loot hof version from the blueprint that came with a giant TT (imagine a rare armatrix craft hit being like a 5-10k ped TT version of the gun that was still L ) something like that.

I understand its a big problem to change things drastically as you devalue peoples investments and trust but that happens now already and if you can reallign the holy trinity of craft > hunt >mine other things just fall into place.

As for new player experience id like to see some new player tools that last a bit longer (or maybe have very high efficiency and are bound/perhaps rebuyable with sweat for first month or until reach certain attribute threshold (cant chip out to repeat) or mobs in a new player area that generate close to breakeven TT longterm or have nice loot tables to help them get some looter skill/other skill/foot in door and make new player experience interesting because currently at starter levels youre facing a STEEP uphill climb with no efficient weapons/no looter skills and boring low variance hunts why would you keep investing time and money into your avatar and playing when your initial experience is just pure loss with no action/excitement or chance for better. Ofc to prevent alts just farming this you'd have to hire a security team to heavily police alts and monitor suspicious play patterns even on accounts with seperate IDs so it will never happen. But i do think it would be a good move.

Last edited:
As for new player experience id like to see some new player tools that last a bit longer (or maybe have very high efficiency and are bound/perhaps rebuyable with sweat for first month or until reach certain attribute threshold (cant chip out to repeat) or mobs in a new player area that generate close to breakeven TT longterm or have nice loot tables to help them get some looter skill/other skill/foot in door and make new player experience interesting because currently at starter levels youre facing a STEEP uphill climb with no efficient weapons/no looter skills and boring low variance hunts why would you keep investing time and money into your avatar and playing when your initial experience is just pure loss with no action/excitement or chance for better. Ofc to prevent alts just farming this you'd have to hire a security team to heavily police alts and monitor suspicious play patterns even on accounts with seperate IDs so it will never happen. But i do think it would be a good move.

I was having some confusion understanding what was going on with my disciple over the last few days. She got a gold pack on her second day and started grinding pretty hard for a new player in barbarella and harrier from 9 agi.

After like four days and her constantly wanting to go "Back to Farming" and trying to push up to bigger armor and more DPS without even mastering the Barbarella I asked her a couple of very pointed questions about depositing and bankroll.

She's been grinding hard and +tt the whole time. :eyecrazy:

Turns out some auction PED had hit her card without her knowing it, but the end result was that she was still TT+ and ready to keep "farming". I'm not sure if I stumbled onto a lucky avatar on her first day, or what sort of hoodoo voodoo could be going on but it was pretty eye opening for me.

At this point I'm a little concerned that the system is grooming her lol. And THAT's how deep the paranoia has become. I'm sorry this is anecdotal and a little off topic but I wonder if they're already messing around with this.

In general, I'm 100% on board with your description of the new player experience, and it's what i'm used to hearing from the relatively few new players I engage with. For years it has seemed like MA's "retention mechanism" is basically to filter for addictive behavior. This could definitely change.

I'm digging the idea of a sweat vendor that trades for bound items targeted at low levels.
  • Neo-psion 0 for 1k sweat.
  • Single use Payn-Inc for 500 sweat.
  • Electro 0 1k sweat (100-500 uses?)
  • Kinetic 0 1.5k sweat
  • Cryo 0 1k sweat
  • Lacerating 0 1.5k sweat
  • Pyro 0 1k sweat
  • Acid chip 0 1.5k sweat
  • Regen Chip 0 500 sweat
  • Focus Chip 0 500 sweat
  • TP Chip 0 5k sweat

Mindforce is hard to intro and directly related to sweating. These items can be bound and level capped by level 10 or so to help against farming efforts and sweating is once again seen as a social aspect and intro to an entire aspect of lesser used professions in the game.

This post maybe belongs over in wishlist but I do want to take a moment to say thanks for sparking a little positive thought about something besides "the long list" of well known and thoroughly hashed over problems.

However if this vendor were to appear while I'm still unable to stand in my shop and have to stare at placeholder statues scattered all over calypso, it would absolutely enrage me. Clean Up First.

removed the sweat will already be a positive action

If you fuck up the hud and menus, I'll leave. Simple as that. NOBODY needs changes of those systems, they all work fine. :mad:

What you should INSTEAD work on is fixing all the broken missions on planets like Rocktropia and Toulan, streamlining the hell out of Cyrene and improve everything that has to do with space. New features I want are fishing and possibly cooking. And work on the pet system!

And most importantly REMOVE the auction listing fees already and allow decimals so proper modern age trading can take place already!!!!! Enough with stone age bartering and trade spamming as the main trading function of the game! In a game so focused on looting and valuable goods not having the basic architecture to play the market is unforgivable.

I am still half thinking this camera revamp idea is just some twisted PR gimmick. This had to attract negative attention and even ridicule. So in the end MA can dump the idea to show they're listining...or some such...

Actual game mechanics on the 3 main professions aside I believe to be a true RCE this game needs a total overhaul of all things trading.

Flaws with auction have been mentioned already.

Yet there's more. Go copy ideas from others that have been proven to work.

Second Life had (and may be still has) a pretty good system. Basically their own little google search engine where you could browse for shops and specific products. Classified ads are also possible. Landmarks included that you could click and directly teleport to.

Users could even use websites to buy products online and have them delivered in game. P2P trades not host owned eu style webshop.

Users could sell other users products for commission using in game vending machines. Just erect a booth on your land plot and hook it into Ivi's Lvl13 amp supply for a predefined % of the sale :D

I once was able to pay my irl rent from selling virtual & vital male and female body parts in SL (if you know what i mean). None sculpted or scripted by me. Just selling other folks products on commission. Happy days those were.

Would it be so difficult to just allow me to mark storage/inventory items as 'for sale' and by that list them on a global shopping register?

Do away with item limits in storage/inventory/auction slots whatever.

How do you expect any serious crafter to deal with such serious limitations?

I've only ever had few noob attempts at crafting to sell. Yet even I very quickly realised that you couldn't possibly cover more than a few items with the current system.

+ Rep BlackHawk

Well said about trust and skills ,could go on and on about it but you covered it :)

Reminder to MA , please bring back the working economy model ;)

1. Maybe introduce something like (CIP) Continual Improvement Process and reward people for good ideas.

2. Focus on the economy.
- Every time I am thinking about economy I can´t understund why EU get flooded with UL items. It seems to be a short view of MA seeing all the $$$ for upgrades and such. However economy destruction started with Arkadia and the melee weapons and UL armors, followed then with the UL faps/chips von caly.
There is a reason why TVs and such don´t last for decades in RL and the reason is not that the companys can´t produce a better product! Learn from it, copy it, like rl do it with nature (see that bird can fly, ahh lets build a plane). ^^

2a) Focus on (L) only, give super Items (L) as prizes with relative low TT (10-100 ped) and low decay so they can still last a year or more and are worth to be fighting for.

2b) If you keap introducing UL items, add a feauter to them. Whether that the maximum TT is decreased a fraction % of what is repaired or that the efficiency is slowly decreasing with each % repaired/used. So this UL items also leaves the market at some point and need to be replaced.

3. Maybe add a new (gambling) aspect to crafting.
For example crafting a gun (L) could return different rarities of the gun.
- normal > adjusted > improved > modified > perfected > prototype
- chance of getting them (90% > 9% > 0.9% > 0.09% > 0.009% > 0.001%) or whatever

4. give Skills more value
One possible solution could be to use some skills in crafting/upgrading to create buff itmes.

4.1 Introduce new small ESIs with fix TT
Mini (100 PEC TT)
Micro (10 PEC TT)
Nano (1 PEC TT)
or just one of them to keap it simple. Migth be that an ESI can be refined in Mini. (10.87 ped ESI = 10 x Mini + 0.87 ped)

4.2a If you now want to craft a gun with Crit Damage you need chips filled with Kill Strike.
4.2b Or if you go the upgrade path you can use this chips to upgrade every/few (L) item(s).

Well I have already suggested no. 3 and 4. longer time ago, so I guess you weren´t that fascinated in that ideas. XD

And finally welcome. Even so you might lost me already, do some changes for the others.

Edit:
Do some changes to the forum. Took me a bit to long to write this it seems. Using "Preview Post" turns in account login and then turns in to an empty message, wooohooo.

Edit 2:
Forgot the most important one.
Deliver 100% of what you are selling in an acceptable time frame.

Last edited:
One of the main issues MA needs to work on is the allotted time frame for any given project. If you plan an idea you should finish it and not end the project when you hit the end date planned for the overall project to be complete.

If you plan a project and the sales do not work out as you had planned, you can't not put the project on low priority. You may be working on such projects at a loss but in the long run you are simply adding more to the game which you need to think about more. Half built items or statues with no faces will just turn new players away.

+ Rep BlackHawk

If you fuck up the hud and menus, I'll leave. Simple as that. NOBODY needs changes of those systems, they all work fine. :mad:

Lol that is what i was thinking, i think it is at least the fifth update to the user interface since i've started playing. If you remember which employee suggested it, fire him.

Instead of talking to employees for 9 months, and coming up with virtually nothing, talk to some experienced players, and get some suggestions even the most incompetent programmer can fix an hour, and would actually make a lot of people happy.

Bleh, am turning into a McCormick over here, time for me to go back into hiding.

[h=3]Letter from the CEO[/h]

With Loot 2.0 we revamped the hunting loot formula in order to achieve a more flexible, balanced, and rewarding system. Those changes have led to significantly improved loot returns for the vast majority of players and an overall better loot balance. Further improvements to the loot system have been ongoing since the initial implementation of Loot 2.0.

Originally Posted Here

I fell from the chair, laughing. I have a heart attack, call an ambulance

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cant say it better +rep

Reminder to MA , please bring back the working economy model ;)

I believe MA has moved the main professions not to complement each other but to attract 3 different kinds of players.

1. crafting - designed to attract those who would be just as comfortable at a slot machine

2. mining - designed to attract min/max players who like spreadsheets and conspiracy theory

3. hunting - designed to attract traditional rpg players

... Bleh, am turning into a McCormick over here, time for me to go back into hiding...

QFT you are not alone.

For those of you that will find this comment amusing, my text editor tells me I just cut 623 words out of this little text box.

I'll put my thoughts elsewhere. I 100% hope that this guy can lead things in a productive direction for both Mindark and the existing Entropia Universe community without simply carving out or forcing off entire "generations" of now over-involved and poorly treated supporters.

This community has collectively invested thousands of hours of effort and consideration into long, in many cases extensively curated, lists of known issues with this game. If no one at mindark is actually forum savvy they could perhaps hire a temp or something and get some of that pulled out and turned into a spreadsheet.

Do publish. Do share. But as for "outreach" please consider an actual list of things you have done because people are tired of vague allusions to things they will never see or otherwise notice on their own while issues that have been mentioned hundreds of times over the course of nearly a decade go completely ignored.

I'm not trying to withdraw off the loot engine here. I'm eager to be engaged and supportive. I want immersive suspension of disbelief. I want more than the bare minimum that it takes for me to lie to myself about the slot machine. Because I avoid the slot machine.

And for that I've mostly been told that I'm not even playing the game, or not playing it "right" because TBF that's all it's about for a lot of people. And a notable portion of the rest are literally thieves, which you encourage.

It's possible to pull it all together. I hope you do. I'm starting to get the clear message that I'm just bluntly in the wrong place. Not from the community, I mean. IF EU is truly turning from a focus on MMO for a shot at competitive e-sports with real life gambling and max twitchers - it's not morally wrong or anything.

But I'd like to know.

entropia_youtube_ads.jpg

I didn't mean to pay for this. Please help.

So much for keeping this short (by forum standards) but I am learning to understand the pull of "The McCormick Side" myself. I guess channeling is not really the first step, is it? It's just where you realize you're on the path.

I just realized I haven't even considered logging in yet today.

I think the picture here is do something worthwhile... not "lets fix a camera"

Loot is an issue, crafting is an issue, mining is an issue... fix it or watch the game die... or maybe they want the game to die so they can just start a new one? who knows....

cant say it better +rep

I mean, people have complained a ton of times about the inconsistency in the GUI so I'm going to go ahead and say these two statements aren't fully accurate, even though on a personal level I agree that it's not a huge issue, keep in mind that it's subjective.

I think the picture here is do something worthwhile... not "lets fix a camera"

Loot is an issue, crafting is an issue, mining is an issue... fix it or watch the game die... or maybe they want the game to die so they can just start a new one? who knows....

Here are some 'Camera' related issues:

#1 Falling through floors in apartments and shops (which some believe is prompted by the camera constantly calling for the Client to re-draw the scene, including the floor)

(need I say more? Yes? ok...)

#2 Camera gets too close to your Avatar and suddenly your are looking inside your head

#3 The Camera behaves erratically and inconsistently when it encounters an object and flies (zooms) in and out suddenly

#4 Inconsistent zoom in/out range when in vehicles

#5 In-world interactions like Auto-targeting and Auto-loot appear to be determined based on the camera position as opposed to the actual Avatar position (meaning 'Next-target' is sometimes not the next closest mob and Autoloot pills with 20 meter range doesn't work sometimes because the camera is zoomed out farther than that...)

This is just a small list that I've compiled from other threads.

MindArk is spot on here, the Camera system needs a major overhaul and they need to make sure that all of the issues with the current Camera system are resolved before introducing the new camera system.

Thanks MA, looking forward to this :)

Last edited:
reminds me ... whenever we should have an AMA, it shouldn't be on PCF. :offtopic:

kthxbye

Last edited:
reminds me ... whenever we should have an AMA, it shouldn't be on PCF. :offtopic:

kthxbye

A bunch of forum goers yelling at each other and trying to attack/discredit each other for random stuff has absolutely nothing to do with this thread? Yeah, if these kinds of posts showed up in an Ask Me Anything session they would be removed there as well for being pointless, embarrassing, and off-topic just the same.

Last edited:
Ask and Answer sessions should be held in-game , possibly in an instance and by invite to keep the crowd size and chat to a respectable level.

There could be more than one and it could also be streamed.

Back