Question about mechanics of joining a society

James pHaTaL Error
I've been mostly a loner since starting the game, but my cousin is in a soc and talked me into applying. He sent me a link ingame via chat to apply, so I clicked it.

This is where it gets interesting. The soc leader rejected my app and disgraced me in front of my kin, calling me "disrespectful" for how I worded my application. Weird thing is- I was never offered a place to input application text, I clicked the link and that was that. It's a moot issue now as I'd never join a soc so assumptive as to reject an application without first seeking clarification on the missing application data, but it did get me curious. Just for future reference in case I ever do decide to actually join a soc, what is the difference between clicking the join link sent by another player and applying at the terminal, the process I'm more familiar with? Is there an explanation for this mechanic?

As far as I know there is no difference except there is no place for you to submit a message.

It's a moot issue now as I'd never join a soc so assumptive as to reject an application without first seeking clarification on the missing application data, but it did get me curious.

Yeah it kind of sounds like you got spared here with an early warning.

Sort of like going on a blind date and watching the other person be rude to the waiter :dunce:

I've been mostly a loner since starting the game, but my cousin is in a soc and talked me into applying. He sent me a link ingame via chat to apply, so I clicked it.

This is where it gets interesting. The soc leader rejected my app and disgraced me in front of my kin, calling me "disrespectful" for how I worded my application. Weird thing is- I was never offered a place to input application text, I clicked the link and that was that. It's a moot issue now as I'd never join a soc so assumptive as to reject an application without first seeking clarification on the missing application data, but it did get me curious. Just for future reference in case I ever do decide to actually join a soc, what is the difference between clicking the join link sent by another player and applying at the terminal, the process I'm more familiar with? Is there an explanation for this mechanic?

Bah, too many people on a frigging power trip that get off on playing god with their soc memberships IMO. These days, there isn't much of a point to a soc anyways since we now have global rookie chat.

You want to talk with people? There's tons of global chats with people on them 24/7.
You need help cause you're stuck? You've got the Calypso Rescue Team there to help 24/7.
You got someone you talk to all the time? You've got the enhanced friend list.
You got a group of people you talk to all the time? You can create your own chat channel.

Even in the soc I'm in we don't even use the soc channel, we use a custom channel for chatting. If I were to leave the soc I wouldn't notice a difference since theoretically I could still chat on the same channel and group hunt with my friends from the soc whenever I want. My friendships are not only due to us all sharing the same soc branding.

Aside from having a the soc name as a tagline next to your avatar I don't much see the point to a society anymore. Unless of course it's a tight soc that pools resources...

Yeah it kind of sounds like you got spared here with an early warning.

It did bum me out a little, it's a well respected soc and I have a few friends in it, but you're right. No sense getting in bed if the leader is unreasonable.

You want to talk with people? There's tons of global chats with people on them 24/7.

Thanks for this. Would you happen to know of 1-2 of the cooler chat channels? If I'm missing anything in the game it's good conversation rather than a soc label.

*ninja edit** I just found the EU discord, if this is fairly active it may be all the chat I could want. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Would you happen to know of 1-2 of the cooler chat channels? If I'm missing anything in the game it's good conversation rather than a soc label.

Rookie chat is pure cancer (atleast it was when I left it forever), you try to help people out but there's always some clueless idiot typing nonsense 24/7 and giving terrible advice.

Other than that, #fap and #waveevents are quite useful. You always know when something is up with just those two (events, special spawns, shared loot parties, etc...)

#rocktropia, #arkadia, #cyrene, you get the idea (all planets have their own custom channel and people are very helpful and cool).

The real problem tho? you are kicked after every relog... yes that's right. I gave up.

On the subject, maybe it's just a misunderstanding?

On the subject, maybe it's just a misunderstanding?

Certainly so. It was the rejection without question that I saw as unreasonable. I think a normal person might have asked a question or two rather than reject the app with no explanation.

I hire people all the time, and I make it a point to reach out to the ones in which I don't intend to make an offer to explain why, and perhaps give them a goal to re approach my company once they posses the right tools. That's just good manners.

Not all soc are open to join. I kinda know one where every candidate is vetted and then put on voting.

Back