Help: Short black screens and gpu driver reset with amd vega 64

Salo

Guardian
Society
Rotary International Entertainment
Salonga Salo Calypso
Hello,
as the title says, the game freezes for a second or two, then the screen goes black for a bit. After that I am on desktop for a second or two, then the game resumes with the drivers beeing reset and a crash of wattman (if installed). Once the driver has crashed it then usually resets every couple of minutes. Also a manual driver restart does not help. The whole system then gets very "wonky" and other stuff starts crashing. If I run furmark after a black screen in Entropia I get super slow fps at full card load.
I have tried different drivers drivers and even different bios for the card. This does not happen with other games or in synthetic benchmarks. I can run furmark for hours without issues. Also card stays at around 50°C on full load and closer to 60° with 1250mV and max power limit.
I have also tried to downclock the card or set it to fixed atates for core and memory, no luck.

The game works fine on a 1060 I have sitting around.

Anyone else having similar issues? Any ideas what could be causing this?

My system:

2600x on asus x470 f-gaming
flare x 3200 cl14 ram 16gb
seasonic focus plus 850 gold
m.2 drive
powercolor vega 64 red devil (has waterblock on it so I doubt it is temperature related)

Thank you already for your input!

Thank you already for your input!

Are you in full screen? I play in window mode primarily and lately, I've been having my window go completely black on occasion during the load of a new area. This also happens after a graphics settings change, now that I'm thinking about it.

I've taken notice because this is not normal, usually there is the blur of the area you left and/or the area you're arriving in to hold the screen while you render the new area. This is honestly 3 - 10 seconds of a completely black window.

I did not correlate this happening with the fact that I was hitting 1000ms ping times across the last 4 days, sometimes as high as 3500 ms without actually timing out or disconnecting. Although a restart happens as soon as I notice. I got a ping time of over 5000ms from the map once just before disconnecting.

Normal ping for me is usually 80 - 100ms for reference.

I'm on a little box w/a pentium N4200 and Intel 505 chip I think. I take a few graphics problems as given for the circumstance but the black screen is new and other than the whole thing disappearing (sounds like fullscreen to me) it sounds just like what you're describing.

For me it is not related to changing areas.

I have tried Fullscreen and windowed fullscreen.
Will give windowed mode a try...

For me it is not related to changing areas.

I have tried Fullscreen and windowed fullscreen.
Will give windowed mode a try...

Yeah I'm seeing it when I change graphics settings, too - anything that triggers a re-render?

I'm not really knowledgeable about graphics subsystems. I have noticed that the complete blackout is a new and pretty recent behavior. Maybe it will go away with this big update tonight.

GL getting it sorted, if not. So far it's a minor issue for me (crossing my fingers now lol).

This is borderline off-topic but EU just shut down for about the fourth time in three days.

I'm not sure how many times it's happened also when I just thought it idled out while I was afk. No warning the whole thing just vanished while I was typing on chrome. I've watched this happen several times now.

No other application than EU, calc, and chrome have run since I restarted my PC and this is not normal, even though this is a very "small" system. I was idling at The Megavolt so overcrowding is not an issue. Based on what I've been seeing with ping times all weekend, I'm going to just guess it's timing out.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mhh this surely is annoying....
Just tried windowed mode and the same happens. However after the black screens the rest of the system and other programs behaved normally without issues.

Let´s hope these issues get fixed...in case it is actually caused by EU.

Edit: It just now happened shooting oro. I was monitoring GPU and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

When it went black the core clock and mem clock went to max for a brief moment, so did core voltage. Load went to 0...

Back