Entropia Universe 15.18.0 Release Notes

copying of my post to a related thread about - "It is now only possible to drop items in your own estates"..shit!: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?306159-R-I-P-Old-Traditions/page5

MA made a mistake by this. Lag, scums, money laundry? We don't care. This is not a solution. It remind me a old Greek proverb for bad medical practises! in free translation it goes like that: "Arm hurting, arm cutting off"!
This is not good practise, they should reverse this change! End of story!

PS. A petition maybe it is neccesary for this issue

copying of my post to a related thread about - "It is now only possible to drop items in your own estates"..shit!: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?306159-R-I-P-Old-Traditions/page5

MA made a mistake by this. Lag, scums, money laundry? We don't care. This is not a solution. It remind me a old Greek proverb for bad medical practises! in free translation it goes like that: "Arm hurting, arm cutting off"!
This is not good practise, they should reverse this change! End of story!

PS. A petition maybe it is neccesary for this issue

Had to laugh at this, no offense, but when was the last time MA did anything we asked except made the mobs stay after death so we could stutter over them. BTW they said we asked for that and I did a pole and one said they did.

Also I still don't understand why dropping items hurts anything:scratch2:

Had to laugh at this, no offense, but when was the last time MA did anything we asked except made the mobs stay after death so we could stutter over them. BTW they said we asked for that and I did a pole and one said they did.

Also I still don't understand why dropping items hurts anything:scratch2:

It has been explained in this thread... take the time to read... also there is a Dev note explaining how they saw it...

Next time I'm at work and someone asks me to work on something that needs improving, I will follow MA's fine example and simply destroy/delete the thing that needs improving, if doing so is easier than doing the actual improving. I will do this regardless of if anyone is using the thing, because those people are wrong.

What an odd, and oddly personal, response to simple post acknowledging the dev notes about drop items.

Do you read what you write?

WTF, Miles

Last edited:
Some years ago I discovered and reported a bug to MA where you could crash servers with paint cans. Potentially VERY serious bug but the fix WAS NOT to remove the paint cans.

Two replies?

Everything I said in the last post, plus:

Paint Cans? What a stupid analogy.

Once you could pick up an entire continent and log out, but the solution was not to remove land from the game. So what? Look, I have fun in EU, I have for ages, and it seems you don't. To the degree that anyone can be said to win or lose in a sandbox, I'm winning.

Peace, Miles.

Hoping MA returns the FUN to us...

Dropped items create FUN for EU! Why do we have dance (and other) emotes? FUN!

Watch close to the end of this vid, I created a slide where avatars can slide from high in the sky to an indoor swimming pool!

Found another video of one of my party platforms. The ENTIRE platform was removed after extensive use. Building these platforms is very time consuming, and they aren't visible from the ground level (usually). Being a programmer myself, I don't see how dropped items could cause much of a performance issue on the server side, although I have never programmed a graphically intensive virtual universe, so I may be off base there. I do deal with database issues and can understand the data that needs to be transmitted and retained for the dropped items. I've been doing these aerial platforms for a LONG time...

-Obie-

Watch close to the end of this vid, I created a slide where avatars can slide from high in the sky to an indoor swimming pool!

Found another video of one of my party platforms. The ENTIRE platform was removed after extensive use. Building these platforms is very time consuming, and they aren't visible from the ground level (usually). Being a programmer myself, I don't see how dropped items could cause much of a performance issue on the server side, although I have never programmed a graphically intensive virtual universe, so I may be off base there. I do deal with database issues and can understand the data that needs to be transmitted and retained for the dropped items. I've been doing these aerial platforms for a LONG time...

-Obie-

#coolestplayerinEU=Master of ninja glitch

RIP~item fun in EU

It has been explained in this thread... take the time to read... also there is a Dev note explaining how they saw it...

Wish you could have given me a link :), BTW I didn't see anything like this on the first page of the Dev notes but did see several topics about the "Loot claimed by someone else" the oldest was 6 weeks ago and still nothing from MA about a fix.

-Obie-

I soooo Feel for you bro. I know, you being such a community legend, that I am not alone in this. I cant put down a chair for a long crafting run at carfting machines :( Luckilly I can resort right back to my permanent spot with a permanent chair placed in ND Bank.

Two replies?

Everything I said in the last post, plus:

Paint Cans? What a stupid analogy.

Once you could pick up an entire continent and log out, but the solution was not to remove land from the game. So what? Look, I have fun in EU, I have for ages, and it seems you don't. To the degree that anyone can be said to win or lose in a sandbox, I'm winning.

Peace, Miles.

Sure, this is what they've told us: It caused lag.

I've played for 10+ years. The only place I experienced lag is this:
- When first logging on, when things are still loading (even your icons in your inventory must be rendered, as they are not referenced from a sprite sheet, they are rendered individually..). This is expected, and perfectly OK.
- When first entering an area with tons of people. This is expected, and perfectly OK.
- When first entering a player shop with tons of items. This is expected, and perfectly OK.

When it was called Project Entropia, the only place I experienced lag was when entering Port Atlantis (when PA used to be the place where everyone hung out). This was also expected, and was perfectly OK.

I've never had complaints about the overall game being laggy, and as I've said, I have low-quality / mediocre internet speed, yet the game is not laggy for me.

As for the "Well, some new players dropped items accidentally despite the warning dialog". Yeah and that is their fault. Let them learn their lesson 1 time after dropping their Rubio. Much better that they learn that lesson early on. Don't punish the 99.9% because 0.1% refuse to read a giant red warning-- that's unfair.

Consider that it's possible that the reason you still have fun in EU, as you've said, is because this feature wasn't really all that important in your personal view. But hopefully you can imagine that maybe this was really important to other people, and that's why many people here are upset.

Sure, this is what they've told us: It caused lag.

I've played for 10+ years. The only place I experienced lag is this:
- When first logging on, when things are still loading (even your icons in your inventory must be rendered, as they are not referenced from a sprite sheet, they are rendered individually..). This is expected, and perfectly OK.
- When first entering an area with tons of people. This is expected, and perfectly OK.
- When first entering a player shop with tons of items. This is expected, and perfectly OK.

When it was called Project Entropia, the only place I experienced lag was when entering Port Atlantis (when PA used to be the place where everyone hung out). This was also expected, and was perfectly OK.

I've never had complaints about the overall game being laggy, and as I've said, I have low-quality / mediocre internet speed, yet the game is not laggy for me.

As for the "Well, some new players dropped items accidentally despite the warning dialog". Yeah and that is their fault. Let them learn their lesson 1 time after dropping their Rubio. Much better that they learn that lesson early on. Don't punish the 99.9% because 0.1% refuse to read a giant red warning-- that's unfair.

Consider that it's possible that the reason you still have fun in EU, as you've said, is because this feature wasn't really all that important in your personal view. But hopefully you can imagine that maybe this was really important to other people, and that's why many people here are upset.

Look, I never said anything about lag, I never said anything about not being able to drop things being good or bad.

Some people are freaking out, again, over something that is not vital, again, and the same people refuse to accept what MA provides as a reason, again - as if they know more than MA about EU's servers. I call BS on the lot of them.

I don't have time to be pissed off about small things I can't change when I could be - and soon will be - having fun in EU doing all the bazillion things I can do. It's perfectly clear why people are upset, but really...

Bye-bye thread,

Miles

Look, I never said anything about lag
Hmm, I didn't want to do a huge quote, but I was referring to your quote which referred to MA's statement. For clarity, this is where lag was mentioned:
(From that above link -- from MA)
The main purpose of removing the ability of dropping items on the ground in "public" places was to improve performance. Having a large number of low-value items scattered across busy servers was negatively impacting performance for everyone on the server. On some busy servers the effect of "item art" and random litter was very detrimental to performance.
So, something "negatively impacting server performance" is synonymous with "Lag" which is why I was on the subject of lag (and I'd quoted you because you'd quoted MA's statement, which talked about it). And the reason I felt it was important to bring up that I personally had no complaints about lag, is because (just to reiterate) I have a low-end system... both my system itself, and my internet speed... So, if I have poor specs and yet I have no complaints about lag, then we should be fine and dandy... But even if someone does have complaints about lag, I don't believe that hidden items in the landscape are the primary culprit for lag. Hope that clears things up.

Some people are freaking out, again, over something that is not vital
The question is where does that stop? These things are also not vital:
- Emotes
- The ability to walk (rather than run)
- Friends list
- The ability to choose between 1st or 3rd person
- Chat channels (all of them)
- Displaying armor on your avatar (I've played mmos where equipped armor doesn't affect how the ava looks)
- The auction
- The ability to trade with other players
- etc

Pick one feature and remove it and the game is still playable which means the feature was not technically vital ... Yes but, the argument was never that dropping items was vital to be able to run the game. The sentiment, in the case of the removal of item dropping, is that it's a slow whittling-away of the MMO sandbox/interactivity aspect of the game. It means that down the road, another feature may be removed, and further down the road, another feature may be removed. Already many features have been removed, so it's not unrealistic that this will continue, until the game is something very different than the game we're all familiar with and that we all love. Dropping might not be important to you, but it's important to others, I hope you can understand why. :(

Btw, I hope this isn't being interpreted as hostility. I wasn't trying to make anyone upset and I appreciate your time.

Totally agree with Zaith.

Removing options of the game is bad, as some players use this options.

Adding options is good, as this adds more deversity for players.

It doesn´t matter if 90% of players don´t use an option, taking it away is always bad.

If it causes performance problems adjust it, limit it, but dont remove it completely!

Totally agree with Zaith.

Removing options of the game is bad, as some players use this options.

Adding options is good, as this adds more deversity for players.

It doesn´t matter if 90% of players don´t use an option, taking it away is always bad.

If it causes performance problems adjust it, limit it, but dont remove it completely!

I wanted to disagree with the word always (my bolding), depending on how much it affects other gameplay, but as you then go on to say, find a different solution. Yes, I tend to agree. But then again, maybe adjustment/limitations wouldn't be right either if it upsets some playing field of whatever it is on.

My bottom line on this vu is that it was a large download for mainly terrain which I may not visit anyway and the removal of something I have enjoyed for years. It doesn't put me in much of a mood to play (although I have actually downloaded the Calypso part, yes).

A question of 'vital'?

Graphics are not vital, hunting is not vital, crafting is not vital, players are not vital, computers are not vital, etc etc etc. Get rid of it all?

What's next, a MA board game "Entropia Universe Essentials", drawing pad and crayons included?

Some people are freaking out, again, over something that is not vital, again, and the same people refuse to accept what MA provides as a reason, again - as if they know more than MA about EU's servers. I call BS on the lot of them.
Miles

What is 'vital' for you is not 'vital' for me, and probably vice versa.

The point is there are different ways to enjoy the game, and 'someone' might want to be considerate of others before 'someone' decides for the rest of us what is 'vital'.

-Peace, Obie-

I don't have time to be pissed off about small things I can't change when I could be - and soon will be - having fun in EU doing all the bazillion things I can do.

Great you still have those things. This and many other "small changes" aren't vital for me either but I can see how it affects other people. And if you don't see the greater picture and speak out for them, by the time MA gets to your favorite things there will no one left to speak for you.

Ah, thanks for the bookmark. Not a big deal but the thing is I have never been to the places where all this stuff is lying on the ground ????

I would have thought things like butterflies and wind would take up more server time than a object(s) laying on the ground but that just me.

Remember the American Indian thought that if you danced just right it would bring rain, this kind feels like the same way of thinking to me :).

Oddly enough with this change the lag has been worse than ever the last couple of days :eyecrazy:

Oddly enough with this change the lag has been worse than ever the last couple of days :eyecrazy:

It's just all the people stubbornly trying to drag items on the ground, confusing the system :) The performance surely will skyrocket once they give up.

Well I did stand around until I died and the way point was there. It was ok and did mark where I died BUT I am just wondering if anyone, that is anyone at all that could think of something better to fix than having an automatic way point where one just died ?? Unless the /p no longer works to mark one's location of death ?

UPDATE: It does not work if there is lag, for me at least.

One more update:
See the pic above I noticed after a death I got the above "You are not wounded" see the heals just I after that message and When I died I got the message "Way point reached" so I did not have the way point on the map. Amazing MA thanks for all your work.

Last edited:
As non-vital crafting is considdered, its nerfed as of late, in a bad way. So no more depos and crafting runs untill fixed back to how it was. :mad:

I don't know if its been mentioned previously, but, it occurs to me that the dropping change means that you can't hide your loot in pvp anymore. When mining, I used to find a place to stash my loot so that, if I got killed, I wouldn't lose my stuff. I just had to tp in, grab my shit, and tp back out.

I don't know if its been mentioned previously, but, it occurs to me that the dropping change means that you can't hide your loot in pvp anymore. When mining, I used to find a place to stash my loot so that, if I got killed, I wouldn't lose my stuff. I just had to tp in, grab my shit, and tp back out.

No longer possible :)

As non-vital crafting is considdered, its nerfed as of late, in a bad way. So no more depos and crafting runs untill fixed back to how it was. :mad:

You always manage to mix up causation and correlation don't you? Haha one bad one I bet and now all crafting is nerfed. >.<

Back