R.I.P. Old Traditions

I think the best solution for the problem (if it really is money laundering or whatever) is just to implement something to better track and detect and deal with those players only. If somebody is dropping/finding piles of 100s of PEDs, can't there be a system that detects and monitors/flags them so that can be addressed selectively, rather than punishing everybody :(

I agree. Such measures always ever punish the whole community for something a number of individuals do. It is not plausible that an illicit trade done this way can't be tracked with access to the internal databases. Even if you drop a stack of common stuff, it has to be assigned a unique ID at that moment to live in the game for any duration of time. This ID can be traced to both the giver and the taker. It can be too much work to search for something specific every time an issue arises, but that's what automation is for and programmers do on a daily basis writing routines for repetitive tasks.

I agree. Such measures always ever punish the whole community for something a number of individuals do. It is not plausible that an illicit trade done this way can't be tracked with access to the internal databases. Even if you drop a stack of common stuff, it has to be assigned a unique ID at that moment to live in the game for any duration of time. This ID can be traced to both the giver and the taker. It can be too much work to search for something specific every time an issue arises, but that's what automation is for and programmers do on a daily basis writing routines for repetitive tasks.

Yes EVERY thing has a UID and I can bet my PED Card on it that the very same table has the Dropper_Avatar_ID and the Picker_Avatar_ID.

to think nothing in here is traceable is nonsense, to me it looks like they have a Poor reporting system that lets them drill down into the DB for specifics ie: Search "Table_UID Dropper_Avatar_ID, Item_Type, Picker_Avatar_ID, Date_Period" obviously a short list but no brainer...

No its far easier to just punish all... than building a "Reports/Search" system to make their life easy... and keep us happy.

EDIT: Please MA employ someone with a brain for dealing with Large Databases, as you clearly do not have that person now, and you have an extremely complex database that needs to be maintained. They would be worth their weight in gold, and could even simplify/speed up checking for money laundering...

:D (We shouldn't stand for the fact that we're being forced to stand...) :D

Even this would be problematic,...

I think the best solution for the problem (if it really is money laundering or whatever) is just to implement something to better track and detect and deal with those players only. If somebody is dropping/finding piles of 100s of PEDs, can't there be a system that detects and monitors/flags them so that can be addressed selectively, rather than punishing everybody :(

Ah yeh good points, well made

Yup indeed everything should be traceable. MA hold all the cards and the sky is the limit to what they could accomplish... but no, they like their crappy "invisible wall" solutions.

why not? Or why do you think that?

Because they took from him most of what was his fun in the game. And from us too, because we'll never enjoy his works again. I'm ashamed it didn't occur to me when I was reading the release notes and mourning the loss of 0.001% of the game experience that the change means to me, while his loss is probably 90%.

:xfrown: Shaolin no longer wishes you a Merry X-mas... :xfrown:

pe_2005-09-12_15-13-26-76.jpg

I had made a suggestion a while ago to make items dropped at the old Memorial disappear after a minute or two and donate the TT value thus collected to charity; and inform about this by system chat message (or on-screen in the format used at wave spawns) upon entering the special area. This would provide for a fine custom to observe a minute of remembrance of those we lost while knowing the donation doesn't just feed opportunists. It would be a good time to put this in now.

Hear, hear!

I had made a suggestion a while ago to make items dropped at the old Memorial disappear after a minute or two and donate the TT value thus collected to charity; and inform about this by system chat message (or on-screen in the format used at wave spawns) upon entering the special area. This would provide for a fine custom to observe a minute of remembrance of those we lost while knowing the donation doesn't just feed opportunists. It would be a good time to put this in now.

such a wonderful idea!

and if it is only 10$ in the end of the year, then it is still 10$ in the end of the year for a charity.
if MA isnt tooooo stupid, they even can write-off some coding costs and donation costs from their tax balance.

such a wonderful idea!

and if it is only 10$ in the end of the year, then it is still 10$ in the end of the year for a charity.
if MA isnt tooooo stupid, they even can write-off some coding costs and donation costs from their tax balance.

I don't think any MA employee produce code anymore. This game fade out slowly in my opinion.

such a wonderful idea!

The charity drop isn't a bad idea. It looks good for the press and maybe every couple of years it would generate enough revenue to pay for a check and a stamp.

If they put charities in our voting terminals every few months and let people vote on one they would like to donate to, it would do better.

Meantime I never tried to send a rubio to a swedish orphan or a stray dog. It doesn't really have much to do with the time and trouble spent making that christmas card. Or just a note for another player that says "someone else was here, too".

It's pretty pointless to create a "persistent world" if you can't put anything in it. Same for a "sandbox" you can't build sand castles or bury stuff in.

I'm not against the charity thing. It's just off topic.

MA made a mistake by this. Lag, scums, money laundry? We don't care. This is not a solution. It remind me a old Greek proverb for bad medical practises! in free translation it goes like that: "Arm hurting, arm cutting off"!
This is not good practise, they should reverse this change! End of story!

PS. A petition maybe it is neccesary for this issue

Maybe this is something which can be brought back from the dead.
I have certainly enjoyed visiting the excellent fun stuff temporarily created over the years.

It seems very short-sighted of MA to render item drops to history - shorter even than the draw radius of spawned fruit....

This is very unfortunate. Used to love dropping items as part of n00b events or making cool screenshots. ;)

Yep, it seems like a small thing, but EU is definitely a little less fun without it. Please bring it back MA. :(

MA's solution to bugs - remove entire features.

TP Runs. I miss 'em.

SCREENSHOT_20060506184057631.JPG

Back