PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Roger Spacejanitor Wilco
    Society
    (Col.) Arkadia Rouchnecks
    Images
    Thanks. Makes a lot of sense too. Did not realize that could be the case. Now could you please relax the tight coding on the loot-pool

Isle of Troy Plot #5 & Southern Ithaca Plot #14
    Nea's Place TP & Sanctuary Cove TP & Atrox Paradise. Starfinder XIII & Firebird

Stalker
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Marie TheOne Omega
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Rowan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing I have always loved and admired about EU compared to other games is that the game play is not fixed and that players have in the past been able to even encouraged to enhance the game by their own actions.

You (MA) may see dropped items as a nuisance and I have no doubt it gives some minor accounting issues with tracking their whereabouts. Lag...really I very much doubt it unless silly amounts are dropped in a small area, and that tbh is unlikely as I am sure we have better things to do with our ped than throw it on the ground in large quantities. Though easily fixed, make it a no drop zone if it is a busy server, same as no vehicle zones.

Now please flip the coin and look at the other side... player interaction is a massive part of EU and in many ways has been it's greatest asset. Players have fun and form friendships from these additional activities (treasure trails, foraging hunts, hidden surprises for players in locations planet wide). For many it is the strength of those friendships that have quelled the wish to rage quit when things go wrong. For others it is simply the feel-good factor of giving a helping hand to someone, making their day a little brighter when they find the surprise you left.

You say 'We are of course open to creating exceptions for special cases' please explain how this would work with scavenger hunts, treasure trails etc...where is the fun if we know it is all in that 4 x 4 square at a specified location...really...c'mon think outside the box for a moment.

Lag is not caused by a few additional items dropped...that is BS, those items would still exist and have to be drawn and accounted for even if I placed them in my inventory /storage / shop / apartment.

Better to look see if you are drawing things that are unseen. Water under buildings makes for more lag than hard terrain (for that matter why is anything under the surface or building drawn at all? we know it is cos most of us have fallen through the surface and swum there. Waterfalls nearby but unseen inside buildings , items in nearby shops and apartments all contribute to lag yet they are usually unseen.

Stop blaming the players and start looking at your basic programming before you have the place all to yourselves but totally lag free
    I think this is just one example of an obnoxious trend in video game (software in general?) design to relieve players of the "responsibility," the "burden" of deciding for themselves what they find enjoyable. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the sandbox nature of VU 9 Entropia. Of course, there was potential for improvement via, among other possibilities, the new systems we have now, i.e., space, fort event battles, Compet integration (errrr...), but EU had a unique and refreshing skeletal structure, one which left a colonist's path through the game open to his or her play style. Now we have more and more focus on pushing the mission system, web shop starter bundles, assessing developer psychology to determine what actions one may and may not perform with a Sleipnir, while slowly removing many features like sitting, lying down, sliding, item art, treasure hunts, etc., which gave the players robust tools to design their own user experience.

Why do the N64 Zelda games remain popular decades after release? It's not because the quests were ultra-finely tuned to optimize replayability, and it's certainly not because the developers are pumping it with new levels, new characters, new DLC, new this and that content every month. It's because the game itself, encompassing both intended features and gradually discovered glitches and sequence breaks, has such a robust structure that players are still able to find ways to extract more entertainment value from it. Look up Ocarina of Time Bingo for a prime example of this; organic replay value that has extended the long term utility of the game orders of magnitude beyond most of today's mediocre and expensive-to-develop linear content pump models.

Yet the latter appears to have a higher profit ceiling, so what can you do? The same thing you'd do as a Youtuber if you realized good thumbnails draw in new users faster than good video content retains them; you'd spent more time optimizing the thumbnail algorithm than curating your video content. Maybe this is just the only stable equilibrium of the economics of game design, or maybe the trend is ripe for disruption by someone who can market a pithy message conveying that the current trend isn't in players' ultimate best interests. I was hoping MindArk would be that someone, but it appears they can't beat 'em so they're joining 'em.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Chris Dakota Dors
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images

guess we won't see that again
    Last edited by chrisdors3; 11-29-2018 at 02:56.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6