How much do you really care about graphics?

Do visuals matter?

• Yes - Visuals matter and EU needs serious improvements!

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Yes - Visual matter but EU's graphics are perfectly fine as they are.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • No - I'd still play this game if it were using the old graphics or even if it was in 2D pixel art

Votes: 61 31.6%

• Total voters
I'd answer yes and I'd play it in the old graphics, but not 2D.

haha ya 2d is a bit farfetched...but lag is far more important than looks

Yeah simply because it is true.

No, its not. It looked far insuperior as it does now graphics wise.

Not debating the magic it had 15 years ago.

No, its not. It looked far insuperior as it does now graphics wise.

:D

You didn´t get the point?

Sure graphics is better with CE2, totally agree to that.

But with CE2 a lot and its really lot, graphical gimmicks (objects) we have had pre VU10 simply no longer exist.

What is better graphics really worth if the things that could look much better are no longer there ?

If Entropia looked like Terraria (which I massively enjoyed) I would still play it. I've also played text-only MUDs for a decade and I can imagine me playing EU even in text-only. That doesn't mean I don't care about graphics, I do very much. But there is more than one way to deliver the visual experience and 2D is not a synonym of "primitive", and everyone knows that a good book is way more immersive than a movie. All comes down to how polished is the style you've chosen. And it happens that Terraria is way more polished in its 2D than EU in 3D. There is plenty of room for improvement and I'm not talking about the textures detalization.

When people remember PE, there is of course an element of nostalgia for the days that will never return. But there is more to it, PE had had more subtle messages where EU has none. A simple example. Remember the plants that from afar looked like the mobs that inhabited the same area? Ambu, allo, formidons, even robots. You still can find the plants that resemble pre-VU10 drones around Ithaca. The mobs left the areas long time ago, many were redesigned beyond recognition, but the plants still stand like the echo of the past. That shows how much thought had been put into PE environment, not just a seemingly random sowing of graphics assets.

Cryengine brought impressive dynamic sunsets, but it gets old fast and the most detailed scenes look pale compared to some places from Van Gogh's delirium you could come across in PE, as static as they were. We are at a countryside paintball tournament now, not at the deadly frontier. Remember looking in awe at the lurid sky while the soundtrack echoed your thoughts? "I've never seen the sky look so alien" again since VU10.

You can throw a dart at any popular MMO and it will look 1000% better than EU and be waaaay more fun to play and ofc much cheaper. This is a niche game and I don't think the same rules apply.

The RCE aspect is the only reason anybody plays, let's face it the gameplay itself is about as boring as it gets. There's some limitations due to the fact that they have to control the economics and limit exploitability, but there's plenty of room for them to get more creative with the game mechanics.

The graphics are very dated, and poorly done, but I don't think fixing them is going to bring in a bunch of new players or make the people who are here crying about loot any happier.

There's no consistency to the style or theme. This is supposed to be a sci-fi game: so why am I running around with a viking sword? Why do I have a whip instead of an electric prod of some sort? What's with the cowboy hats and prom dresses for clothing? Why do my buffs come in the form of a bug ugly-ass gold pimp ring?

None of this really matters though because the main thing that needs to be fixed is the economy.

For most games I would say priority should be:

1. Gameplay
2. Atmosphere (graphics, sound, theme)

For EU I would say the priority should be:

1. Economy

2. Everything else

Imo the graphics are ok.
More complex graphics would lead to increased use of client and server resources.

I enjoy the game as it is. :)

Remember looking in awe at the lurid sky while the soundtrack echoed your thoughts? "I've never seen the sky look so alien" again since VU10.

It can still happen sometimes...

Time to bump this thread :p

I much prefer exciting Content, that is also workable content, and better lore over better graphics. I prefer fair, bug free events over better graphics. I prefer promised features implemented and space revamped over better graphics. MA is putting make-up on a corpse :D

It Matters a Hell of a lot to me.
I run Dual GTX 960s SLI on a 21" Multisync FE2111sb.
I had to go back a year or two to get new Video Cards with DVI-I outputs.
That was not cheap!
I run 1600x1200 @ 85mhz.
IMO nothing looks better than 4:3 Aspect ratio under flat glass.

My processor is only a Quad Core on an Asus digital home MBD.
My internet is slow @ 2.7MBs per sec DSL.
Enough to keep up most of the time.
The game looks great as it is.
I can for sure enjoy an upgrade, and I'm sure it will help grease up my wallet.
Comparing games is not what it's about with me.
A 69 Buick is not a 69 Chevy.
Please don't turn the game into a cheap azz Chevy
I'm worried how much this change will effect the look and feel of the game.
There are some really beautiful environments out in Calypso.
This game is a gem among games.

Hoping for the BEST!!

It's the Laptop crowd that's destroying whats left of good graphics.
Their platform sucks so why do they care about graphics?
After the industry adopted 1080-p, monitors went to the dogs.
Eventually I will be forced off my screen, and Ill have to fork out some big bucks for an Apple Monitor.
I really don't want to change.

I had to vote for serious Improvement even though I think the graphics are great already.
There are lots of things that can be better.

Last edited:
It Matters a Hell of a lot to me.
I run Dual GTX 960s SLI on a 21" Multisync FE2111sb.
I had to go back a year or two to get new Video Cards with DVI-I outputs.
That was not cheap!
I run 1600x1200 @ 85mhz.
IMO nothing looks better than 4:3 Aspect ratio under flat glass.

My processor is only a Quad Core on an Asus digital home MBD.
My internet is slow @ 2.7MBs per sec DSL.
Enough to keep up most of the time.
The game looks great as it is.
I can for sure enjoy an upgrade, and I'm sure it will help grease up my wallet.
Comparing games is not what it's about with me.
A 69 Buick is not a 69 Chevy.
Please don't turn the game into a cheap azz Chevy
I'm worried how much this change will effect the look and feel of the game.
There are some really beautiful environments out in Calypso.
This game is a gem among games.

Hoping for the BEST!!

It's the Laptop crowd that's destroying whats left of good graphics.
Their platform sucks so why do they care about graphics?
After the industry adopted 1080-p, monitors went to the dogs.
Eventually I will be forced off my screen, and Ill have to fork out some big bucks for an Apple Monitor.
I really don't want to change.

I had to vote for serious Improvement even though I think the graphics are great already.
There are lots of things that can be better.

I guess we'll have to wait and see once its released but lookin at the picture from PA,
a lot of details will look way better.

visual is one thing. identity is otherthing. i find the game very nice to see. but i still feeling the old environnement more rich. hadeisheim town, umbranoid camp, specific landscape and place. fog and sound was here.
they make great job on some place. i wish they make the same everywhere.

The last graphics upgrade knocked me out of the game for 2 years, hopefully this won't be the same. I think graphics are not important, highly intensive games block casual gamers from joining.

I like the game as is. I do think wind blowing, butterflies etc. are a waste of clock ticks to show them. There a few others but none of these thing are that bad just a small waste of resources IMO.

BTW to the comment of not much with graphics in 2003 obviously he never played Battlefield 1943. IMO that was about the start of what we see today graphics wise in games.

Poor grafic of my game :) But it use heavy resources, about it is made with 4k textures. Maybe too heavy for a MMO. Ok, just a simply example, how average grafic looks on games today.

For me as a miner in EU, i like to have nice grafic. Mining is boring enough, so watching to nice landscape is a plus for me.

To me the polygon count and higher res textures don't matter that much in EU, I do however want more interactivity with objects within the game.

To me the polygon count and higher res textures don't matter that much in EU, I do however want more interactivity with objects within the game.

I like both, better grafic and more interactivity with objects. With better grafic i also mean all the bad placed objects, like waterfalls into air, rocks don't fit the floor, trees where you see the collision mesh and with bad LOD, etc. Plants where you get stuck, only if you touch it. Or waterboarders, where you get stuck.

But yes, more interactivity with objects is much welcome too!

Entropias decade old CryEngine2 graphics updated or not will still seem a waste of my $300 RX590 graphics card

MA wasting their time really :cool:

How about a new engine to take us into the next decade instead of then being 2 decades behind

How much are graphics factored in to your reason for playing this game?

MA is all about wanting to update the UI and improve textures...etc but really, how many of us actually care about these improvements? Many of us were playing back when it was Project Entropia and the graphics were very clunky. Arguably I think many wouldn't care if it went back to that style of graphics if the gameplay was improved.

So I'm wondering where do you put graphics on the list of priorities and how much of a factor is/was it for you to start and continue playing Entropia?

1. Would you still play the game if they went back to the old graphics (assuming gameplay was the same as it is now even if not capable in the old engine)? If not, what if gameplay was improved as a trade off to worse graphics?

2. What if EU was no longer even 3D and was a top down 2D style but with decent artwork? Do you think you would have still joined/continue to play?

Personally my #1 reason for joining was based on the notion of being able to make real money. The notion of a 3D environment was just a perk for me. For me, if you took the same gameplay and put it on a completely different visual experience like 2D pixel art I'd still play as much as I do now.

Yes and yes. That said, I did enjoy the pre-vu10 graphics more than I would have enjoyed 2D.
I place graphics updates near the bottom in terms of priority except to decrease glitches and lag and improve functioning of the game's other systems. In particular, I place the half-mob glitch at the very top, and fixing clipping would be a fine improvement as well (no more getting stuck in a table!)
This whole emphasis on more and bigger graphics seems to me mainly like a bid to preemptively outdo potential future improvements to Second Life and monopolize its playerbase in additions to EU's - a bid made in a style all too common in recent real-world politics.

It's really a mixed bag Jambon. Some people are here (playing Entropia) to have fun, some are here to win events, some, for the investment/business opportunity, and others might be here for a variety of other reasons...

Anyone you poll as to their priorities will have a list as varied amd different then the next person. How to consolodate it all and move forward in a sensible way is the challenge. And I think that the way MindArk is proceeding is wise, they have stated (in the last AMA I think) that their intention is to prioritize those things which affect the greatest number of players and UI and graphics obviously will rank at the top.

Personally though, I would prefer if they focused on Land Plot devellopment because I think that enabling more player-generated content will make the Entropia gaming experience richer for everyone, but alas, they perhaps don't see it that way...

Legends

I doubt anyone would mind if EU looked like SC... unless you have a not so good PC. :p

I voted option 1 because "a metric fuck-ton of optimization" counts as improvements in my book.

Righ now, in this very moment, there are quite a few alternatives with:
a) Equal or better graphics
b) Much much better performance

And some of those are even free (no royalties or fees at all) !!

Optimization would be very lovely. The game needs to run a whole lot better.

many forget that some players have paid for the right to a better graphic quality, and we have not had such an improvement.
step of the cryengine 2 which must have revolutionized the ingame graphics , have also asked us a financial effort. of course we had to change the PC to play the game off safe mode for most of us.

put back the blood as in the very old PE, put impacts, put deterioration armor visible
add the PE elements that had to be put in place toxic zone, sandstorms, snowstorms etc
it's just part of PE's oldest faq, the old video presentation showed a virtual world.
now the presentation tells you: become rich or not

These would be fun!

I hear this so many times.

But isnt this the same as, my wife looked a lot better when I just met her?
Things were new and exciting back then. Now the relation has become just "normal" and not the hot passionate excitement before we had 2 kids crawling around.

Might not have been the perfect example since my wife did actually looked a lot better 15 years ago but I hope you get the idea ;)

Things were new back then. We stepped into this new world. But now this new world has become our familiar old world.

But you have to be honest, entropia universe DOES look a lot better then project entropia.
Graphics wise this is just a simple fact.
Not saying that now it has the same charm as it had 15 years ago though.

I have to disagree with the "nostalgia" argument. I like the same games that were my favorites in my youth because I still like what they offer. In some cases they are still new to me with my highly sensitive nervous system which retains stimuli longer, but for the most part I like what I like, and they offer it. I also note that then and now, I don't get into a game just for novelty very much - sure, a little bit but the effect wears off very quickly and it isn't major to begin with.

Carry on.

Visuals matter but Visuals do not matter if game has bad bugs or lag. I get slaughtered in-game more by lag in some areas. I die more often with a Fap in my hand than not.

I am amazed that the pole is almost even across the 3 choices. I was the middle choice. If I knew then what I know now I would probably still play as in choice 3. But if the graphics where as stated in 3 I doubt I would have got no more than couple of hours of play and moved on.

Visuals matter but Visuals do not matter if game has bad bugs or lag. I get slaughtered in-game more by lag in some areas. I die more often with a Fap in my hand than not.
Same here.... my (fast) weapons have no trouble equipping and firing, but in a fierce enough combat, my (slow) healing tools will sometimes just refuse to notice my repeated pressing their key. I suspect the heat of rapid combat ends up making Equipped slow to change, and then the new Equipped item slow to respond. It's not so much fun sitting there tapping on a heal key 5 or 10 times and then dying (to revive with my healing tool equipped). But for me, the half-mobs are worse, and I'm becoming fairly sure they're produced by poor optimization. (the half mob bug has been around since before I ever played this)

Oddly...this past graphics update was enough along with the other mechanism changes regarding enhancers to bring me back into the game and give me a glimmer of hope once again.

It seems...Mindark still up to their usual shrouded mystery as they were quoted to say there was no graphics update in the pipeline,but this time for the good. We get surprise major graphics engine and system updates that are in line with community requests and not simply company desires? Nice, that's new! :yay:

I feel like there's a lot more easy potential within this new engine for them to make updates, and it seems now that just the way lighting effects things is dramatically improved, and while it's a bit glitchy at the moment, the end results once tuned could be jaw dropping.
Here's to hoping for a new future where 'misinformation' is like the very beginning of this game. Mysterious shrouded curiosity with weekly/monthly updates, bug fixes, and progress in the game and we simply don't know what's coming.

That would certainly bring many of us back, if we keep at least getting surprise major content updates every month or two!!:wtg:

In retrospect it seems graphics are indeed more important than I would have thought and voted initially!

Without continuous improvements to the graphics, a game dies!

Back