PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources

View Poll Results: Do visuals matter?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Visuals matter and EU needs serious improvements!

26 26.53%
  • Yes - Visual matter but EU's graphics are perfectly fine as they are.

39 39.80%
  • No - I'd still play this game if it were using the old graphics or even if it was in 2D pixel art

33 33.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Alpha
    Jo Aloisius Smith
    Society
    the NBK
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by San View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd answer yes and I'd play it in the old graphics, but not 2D.
    haha ya 2d is a bit farfetched...but lag is far more important than looks

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNi View Post
    Yeah simply because it is true.
    No, its not. It looked far insuperior as it does now graphics wise.

Not debating the magic it had 15 years ago.
    wi

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Gloria GoNi Nicestyle
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wizz View Post
    No, its not. It looked far insuperior as it does now graphics wise.

You didnīt get the point?

Sure graphics is better with CE2, totally agree to that.

But with CE2 a lot and its really lot, graphical gimmicks (objects) we have had pre VU10 simply no longer exist.

What is better graphics really worth if the things that could look much better are no longer there ?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    If Entropia looked like Terraria (which I massively enjoyed) I would still play it. I've also played text-only MUDs for a decade and I can imagine me playing EU even in text-only. That doesn't mean I don't care about graphics, I do very much. But there is more than one way to deliver the visual experience and 2D is not a synonym of "primitive", and everyone knows that a good book is way more immersive than a movie. All comes down to how polished is the style you've chosen. And it happens that Terraria is way more polished in its 2D than EU in 3D. There is plenty of room for improvement and I'm not talking about the textures detalization.

When people remember PE, there is of course an element of nostalgia for the days that will never return. But there is more to it, PE had had more subtle messages where EU has none. A simple example. Remember the plants that from afar looked like the mobs that inhabited the same area? Ambu, allo, formidons, even robots. You still can find the plants that resemble pre-VU10 drones around Ithaca. The mobs left the areas long time ago, many were redesigned beyond recognition, but the plants still stand like the echo of the past. That shows how much thought had been put into PE environment, not just a seemingly random sowing of graphics assets.

Cryengine brought impressive dynamic sunsets, but it gets old fast and the most detailed scenes look pale compared to some places from Van Gogh's delirium you could come across in PE, as static as they were. We are at a countryside paintball tournament now, not at the deadly frontier. Remember looking in awe at the lurid sky while the soundtrack echoed your thoughts? "I've never seen the sky look so alien" again since VU10.

You can throw a dart at any popular MMO and it will look 1000% better than EU and be waaaay more fun to play and ofc much cheaper. This is a niche game and I don't think the same rules apply.

The RCE aspect is the only reason anybody plays, let's face it the gameplay itself is about as boring as it gets. There's some limitations due to the fact that they have to control the economics and limit exploitability, but there's plenty of room for them to get more creative with the game mechanics.

The graphics are very dated, and poorly done, but I don't think fixing them is going to bring in a bunch of new players or make the people who are here crying about loot any happier.

There's no consistency to the style or theme. This is supposed to be a sci-fi game: so why am I running around with a viking sword? Why do I have a whip instead of an electric prod of some sort? What's with the cowboy hats and prom dresses for clothing? Why do my buffs come in the form of a bug ugly-ass gold pimp ring?

None of this really matters though because the main thing that needs to be fixed is the economy.

For most games I would say priority should be:

1. Gameplay
    2. Atmosphere (graphics, sound, theme)

For EU I would say the priority should be:

1. Economy

2. Everything else

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Noorie Noorie Anwar
    Society
    Royal Club
    Images
    Imo the graphics are ok.
    More complex graphics would lead to increased use of client and server resources.

I enjoy the game as it is.

Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Svarog View Post
    Remember looking in awe at the lurid sky while the soundtrack echoed your thoughts? "I've never seen the sky look so alien" again since VU10.

It can still happen sometimes...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4