PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources

View Poll Results: Do visuals matter?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Visuals matter and EU needs serious improvements!

57 34.55%
  • Yes - Visual matter but EU's graphics are perfectly fine as they are.

55 33.33%
  • No - I'd still play this game if it were using the old graphics or even if it was in 2D pixel art

53 32.12%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Billy Jean Ruby
    Society
    Factory of Fun
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBuona View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was released in 2003. All games looked very clunky back then. Sure, in more recent years there has been a revival of sidescrollers, games with MIDI music, etc. But I still don't think it makes sense to make this argument given how different things are today than they were 15 (!) years ago.

I voted the second option.

Visually I think it looks fine, but it's still not great in terms of optimization (running on lower-end hardware). And certain areas are still very buggy where players can get stuck or fall through the floor. To me, that is more important than how the game looks.
    +rep
    actually the last thing we care is how much more scary will look Faucervix's

Chaotic Good
    Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced PlanetCalypsoForum features!
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    MegaVolt
    Society
    Kaos
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are on Very High on every setting, Entropia's graphics are fine as they are.

Self-requested Deactivation
    Acronoid
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    I like the cartoon style of the graphics as it is.
    Still prefer the old game assets over the newer ones. Especially how the place around Zeus looked, and stink trees.
    I'm sad that they removed some assets from Shinook jungle and some other meaningless buildings.
    Or the old robot war junk.
    It's not about the quality of the graphics, sometimes its about the atmosphere. At least for me.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Patrizia Pandemic Giano
    Society
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acro View Post
    I like the cartoon style of the graphics as it is.
    Still prefer the old game assets over the newer ones. Especially how the place around Zeus looked, and stink trees.
    I'm sad that they removed some assets from Shinook jungle and some other meaningless buildings.
    Or the old robot war junk.
    It's not about the quality of the graphics, sometimes its about the atmosphere. At least for me.
    It's all important. Consider what Evey said in post #2. There is a strong chance potential new players would care about graphics.

Do you ever go back and play really old games? Like Doom 3D? Maybe Super Marios Bros? I have no idea what games you played back in the day, but if you're like most people, you can re-play old classics and still find them bearable.

Why is that? One word: nostalgia. You remember the old days when that game was fresh and new. Perhaps simpler times.

New players MA would look to attract don't have nostalgia in response to Entropia's graphics. So they probably want something that looks new and sharp, even in today's competitive marketplace.

Needless to say, the point I'm making is we shouldn't be forgetting newcomers. I am of the opinion that very few of them will actually stay at this point, but that doesn't mean we should alienate them.

Billy Jean Ruby
    Society
    Factory of Fun
    Images
    i think, majorities of:
    +40sh y.o. players doesn't realy care, some oldies prefer EP graphics too.
    -30sh y.o. realy care about graphics.
    The others in between are close to the first category.
    I'm at +40sh ofc

The truth is, if you look what is out there on the MMO market, MA should be considering some re-innovations aspects of the game. We like it or not. The game need "new blood" in the players base.

PS. personally I think the game need "new blood" in the dev's side too.
    Last edited by Billy Jean Ruby; 10-12-2018 at 05:52.

Prowler
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Aj the-unknown Henry
    Society
    Perseus Society
    Images
    Gameplay is what matters.

In some way I still prefer the game as it was pre cry engine.

And some of the most popular games ever don't / didnt have fantastic graphics. Minecraft comes to mind. So do games like Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, etc.

Wizzina Wizz Pale Moon
    Society
    The Ministry
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the-unknown View Post
    Gameplay is what matters.

In some way I still prefer the game as it was pre cry engine.

I hear this so many times.

But isnt this the same as, my wife looked a lot better when I just met her?
    Things were new and exciting back then. Now the relation has become just "normal" and not the hot passionate excitement before we had 2 kids crawling around.

Might not have been the perfect example since my wife did actually looked a lot better 15 years ago but I hope you get the idea

Things were new back then. We stepped into this new world. But now this new world has become our familiar old world.

But you have to be honest, entropia universe DOES look a lot better then project entropia.
    Graphics wise this is just a simple fact.
    Not saying that now it has the same charm as it had 15 years ago though.

Abomb Abomb ThePeoplesChamp
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    I voted I cared mainly cause of a few experiences in the game. First when I traveled to Toulan and was up in the mountains it was snowing and it was like a different game. The sound of the howling wind it was just beautiful. (Shame no one is there)

There are moments in the game where it just is beautiful and when combined with the right sound gets better game immersion. They should move all the planets closer to each other and try to create some better overall looking terrain/weather and have the right sound to make it seem like you are hunting in the snow/rain.

Another moment on Toulan just think that planet does it right with how the game should feel is at the PvP rig there. It is dark, raining and ominous approaching the Rig. Just puts a much better feel to the game. These moments should be plentiful to add to overall game play in the game. It would go a long way in terms of marketing and creating just more times where you are like this game is beautiful. (because it can be )
    The Abomb now has Expert Wood! Level 48 Resource Gatherer - 5,546 RG Skill points
    I am Bruce Lee - 6,395 Martial Arts
    I am growing Strongah with the Force - 4,623 Force Merge

Being Realistic is the most traveled road to Mediocrity.

Elite
    This member has helped support PlanetCalypsoForum in the past via donations.
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Ford Zippo LincolnMercury
    Society
    cB | Crimson Blades
    Images
    graphics are not as important to me. First and foremost i care for overall gameplay and interactivity. Nice to see a game that can become more streamlined with bugs that get fixed somewhat quickly..
    "If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65574 - PVP GLOBALS

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Gloria GoNi Nicestyle
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wizz View Post
    I hear this so many times.
    Yeah simply because it is true.

Pre VU10 there was tons of POIs, worth to dicover just for fun.
    Nothing big, but tons of different debris all over Eudoria, signs of the robot war.
    Old abandoned millitary places somewhere on hill in nowhere.
    Maffoid settlements with different buildings, Feffoid camps and whatever else.
    Crashed spaceships, burned out tanks and a lot more.
    Some fun objects, like the underwater smiley, sunbathing skelleton and some more.

Now we have awesome GFX but nothing to discover, most Eudoria is plain boring to discover.

How many POIs exist these days, that are worth a visit for new players, is it 10 ?

I donīt speak about the cities and outposts, some of them are really awesome designed, like Athena Spaceport, PA, Twins and a lot other areas around TPs are awesome.

There is nothing out in the wilds anymore that makes you giggle or even surprise.

With CE2 Eudoria lost its athmosphere beeing a battlefield where robot war is ongoing, beside the threat of mutants that settle all over the continent with their signs: stay away humanz.

Look how it is today:
    Boring area with a nice landscape and mobs out of nowhere, no signs of their origins (settlements), robots out of nowhere without any signs of an ongoing mean robot war (except old Hadesheim crater).

Thats what this people mean when they say pre VU10 EU was better than anything after that VU.

The many small things that made the athmosphere are gone!

It does not need a super cool designed future city like PA ( I love it btw ), its the small things you find while exploring that makes exploring a fun thing.

There is so much potential in this engine but unused!

There have been some attempts to generate nice places (like the waterfall, or this windmill city I canīt remember the name of it).
    That was simply to much in one place, so it caused lag on lower end mashines, and MA removed it.
    Understandable, but why make it so complex?

Drop a debris here and there, a burned out tank, an abandoned artillery, a crashed shuttle, a corpse here and there, some burned out Warlock remains, whatever, a Maffoid hut or a lookout, a Feffo campfire --- just some small things.

Spread this things all over the continent, 1 or 2 within 1kmē and exploring would be an awesome thing again, without causing any lags.

That was it pre VU10 !!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast