Do you think MA has Nerfed the skill gains ?

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
First off let me say, as you all know, that what I hunt it makes no difference if I am level 1 or 100. Having said that I am sure there a many others it does make a difference. I seem to get quite a few "grennies" even with the low damage weapons I use and low damage mobs I hunt. I have noticed that they are lower value than before the last update. Prior to the last update their values where like .01xx to .03xx and so on and even as high as .05xx. Now it seems most all of them are .00xx. which is ten times lower than before. Skinning and butchering still seem to about the same .0xx but they are about the only ones. This is my observation and just passing it along. I hunt punys and I don't have to be too careful about my health, or much of anything for that matter, so I have plenty of time to watch the greennies.

No.

I occasionally use some weapons outmaxed by 30+ levels and have noticed no change.

I don't watch individual skillgains but do record my total gains from every run and I don't see any changes at all (my standard run is 1200 ped which it takes for me to break the imp105 amp, so it's a persistent and hopefully big enough sample).

Wonder if theyll ever make it like other rpg games where you stop making skills for below certain levels depending on your level... so level 50 could get no skills sweating or hunting 20 levels below their own level, etc.

My experience:
l1 zombie with level 27 ranged laser damage ~+0.02 level per 150 PED spend
l27 demon hacker with level 27-32 ranged laser damage ~+0.08 level per 150 PED spend
l27 demon hacker with level 33 ranged laser damage ~+0.02 level per 150 ped spend

So, i'd say, you may just have outleveled the mob ^^

Last edited:
Wonder if theyll ever make it like other rpg games where you stop making skills for below certain levels depending on your level... so level 50 could get no skills sweating or hunting 20 levels below their own level, etc.

Doubt they can without an outcry.

There are probably alot of players in the 40s, 50s and even higher who cant afford a "suitable" weapon / armor / other gear which allows them to "hunt at their levels". Especially those who do a fixed amount deposit per time period. They may grow in skills, but may not be able to afford higher level gear.

Unless you watch skill gains and how they function closely over time your mind will play tricks on you. With that said many people don't realize that Skill gain ( green line value ) moves in waves over time through periods of going up and down. There isn't a linear skill decline. ( what many think )

Example

My Longblade was .0042 per line before 10k skills peaking at a low point. After 10k skills though my Longblade began to go up again. Climbing to .0043 then .0044 then .0045 etc etc and will continue to go up till it reaches about 10,250 ish then proceed to go back down again.

All skill function in this manner in terms of ( green line value ) My anatomy below 8k was .0067 and now is .0091 many might think it would be harder to get anatomy after 8k but in fact it is an upward skill period therefor it is actually easier. ( I am not getting more TT just getting more skill )

This can be cross check in the chipping optimizer as the TT in will give you more skills despite your actual skill being higher.

So it is likely you are experiencing a wave of downward times you don't track skills and so it feels like skills are nerfed when in fact they are performing perfectly as they always have. So keep skilling and they will go back up again.

:wise:

I think my overall amount of skill gains has remained the same but the amount of green lines has increased from my perception tho the individual gain per line seems to be smaller.

My experience:
l1 zombie with level 27 ranged laser damage ~+0.02 level per 150 PED spend
l27 demon hacker with level 27-32 ranged laser damage ~+0.08 level per 150 PED spend
l27 demon hacker with level 33 ranged laser damage ~+0.02 level per 150 ped spend

So, i'd say, you may just have outleveled the mob ^^

You won't outlevel a mob... it gives a fixed skill gain depending on hp and level of the mob, not you. You cannot measure this by counting levels. You need to measure skill gains in ped. You need to read up ;) Lot of good articles on the forums if you want to learn :)

You won't outlevel a mob... it gives a fixed skill gain depending on hp and level of the mob, not you. You cannot measure this by counting levels. You need to measure skill gains in ped. You need to read up ;) Lot of good articles on the forums if you want to learn :)

The base skill gain is determined only by your current points in that skill, nothing else.

Whether you get multipliers (outside kill bonus) to that is determined by the level of the mob and the level of profession employed. At some point you start getting only base gains but it's not yet clear if it's level difference or ratio that matters.

Looter skill gains work a little differently - only HP matters, not L - which is likely why OP doesn't complain about those.

then why was i getting way less skill per ped at level 32/33 from a level 52-67 mob than when i was level 27-32 on a level 27 mob? According to your theory, the level 52-67 mob should have given me way more skill per ped spend than the level 27 mob...

Last edited:
Maybe it just seemed that way and nothing has changed which is good as far as I am concerned. Thanks all for the replies.

The amount of skill 'value' required per point increases as you increase in level. Going from 5000 to 5001 is much harder than going from 1000 to 1001

The amount of skill 'value' required per point increases as you increase in level. Going from 5000 to 5001 is much harder than going from 1000 to 1001

Yes that specific example is true but not true saying that skill "value" required per point increases as you increase in level.

Going from 8000 to 8100 Anatomy is harder then going from 8200 to 8300. Because you are in an upward skill gain period after 8,100 so it actually becomes easier to get skills. As I mentioned in my earlier post. Skill gains are in waves and it's not linear.

8,000 Anatomy skill with 10 Ped TT chip = 13 skills gained
8,200 Anatomy skill with 10 Ped TT chip = 22 skills gained

Skill gain is going up not down they are Dynamic :yay:

Big difference in skill value despite higher skills almost double the skills gained for the same TT value at higher level. This is why Ubers continue to gain skills and be Super Uber. If mid level hunters understood this when they hit "That Wall" in skill growth they would push through it to when it is easier again instead of giving up thinking skill gain only gets worse.

Which is why I said he is likely in a downward skill time so it seems nerfed. I pay very close attention to skills and how they perform. Most people just don't analyze skill wave gain and map it out something I thought of doing as an FYI but never got around to it. So I am mentioning it here ;)

Last edited:
YMost people just don't analyze skill wave gain and map it out something I thought of doing as an FYI but never got around to it. So I am mentioning it here ;)

This got mapped out almost a year ago and both entropia wiki and jdegres skill scanner are almost perfectly accurate at least for the first 10K points or so

This got mapped out almost a year ago and both entropia wiki and jdegres skill scanner are almost perfectly accurate at least for the first 10K points or so

Yea the scanner is what I used in my example and since the skill lines are transparent its easy to see now. (if you are watching those lines) I meant mapping out at what level skills increase and decrease haven't seen an actual map stating this. Someone might want to know that at 8,101 etc it starts to become easier again and at 8,501 it gets harder etc...etc... Not sure how close those numbers are just an example.

If you have it might be good to post for people as often they look at me with :eyecrazy: when I tell them it's easier to get skills at a higher level at times.

then why was i getting way less skill per ped at level 32/33 from a level 52-67 mob than when i was level 27-32 on a level 27 mob? According to your theory, the level 52-67 mob should have given me way more skill per ped spend than the level 27 mob...

Not really. It depends on the hp for that mob, since skill gains are given for shooting at the mob, AND sometimes as a kill bonus. The best skilling mobs have low HP/level ratio. Say Merp young has 50 hp and are L5 -> 50/5 = 10 ratio. THe ratios are given on entropedia as well.

Kerberos are some of the worst skilling mobs around. Burn through 1000 ped on merp young and then 1000 ped on kerberos dom/alfa and see the difference (in peds...a bit cumbersome to record, but doable. the chipping optimizer really helps). I guarantee you that you will have tons more skills from the merp hunt in total (although skill gains per hour may be less, because there's only so many mobs you can kill per hour, even if you one-shot them. Skill gain per ped cycled will be higher, however.)

Last edited:
I made a test yesterday (but in mining) having this thread in mind and sometime later took a skill pill also, it seems nothing changed in skill gain as you guys already confirmed.

Last edited:
Not really. It depends on the hp for that mob, since skill gains are given for shooting at the mob, AND sometimes as a kill bonus. The best skilling mobs have low HP/level ratio. Say Merp young has 50 hp and are L5 -> 50/5 = 10 ratio. THe ratios are given on entropedia as well.

Kerberos are some of the worst skilling mobs around. Burn through 1000 ped on merp young and then 1000 ped on kerberos dom/alfa and see the difference (in peds...a bit cumbersome to record, but doable. the chipping optimizer really helps). I guarantee you that you will have tons more skills from the merp hunt in total (although skill gains per hour may be less, because there's only so many mobs you can kill per hour, even if you one-shot them. Skill gain per ped cycled will be higher, however.)

Exactly and why I finished Bronze Merp while still a noob. I actually leveled sword from 15 to 28 on Merps when I started the game and found the skill gain to be 3-5 times that of kerbs at the time.

Every hunter has a choice to hunt for missions, MU, or skills. ( sure you could add other reasons )

I do stage 6 Oro over and over not for the MU but I gather those lovely lil guys up and let them hit me while I farm as many per hour as I can. Reason is great mob lvl to HP ratio. Oro give the most skills per hour on Ark as big Oro are L11-16 and low HP. You can kill 100's an hour and more importantly finish a repeatable mission at the same time over and over.

I will get more evader herding Oro per hour than L30-50 mobs. Also more hunting skill so I use my skill pills for skilling runs like Oro herding.

Something to note about kill bonus is originally it was thought to be 3-5 times that of normal skill. However since the skills have become very transparent and we can read the skill lines now. I have seen 5-10 times multipliers common on mobs. So me killing 100's of Oro which have a higher kill bonus multiplier will yield better skills then killing Teladon, Yuka or something else that is big.

Highest multiplier I have recorded in my adventures lately is a 16.6 kill bonus multiplier. (wasn't an Oro) That was exciting :yay:

PS- I have just completed stage 6 Oro now for the 16th time. 12.38 Ped Rifle each time for 198.08 Ped Rifle total reward. Not to mention all the skills while doing them. Currently working on Force Merge unlock on Oro. ( Lvl 61 Pyro )

Last edited:
Not really. It depends on the hp for that mob, since skill gains are given for shooting at the mob, AND sometimes as a kill bonus. The best skilling mobs have low HP/level ratio.

Well, our theories aren't mutually exclusive.
the hp/level ration may matter as well as the difference of your level to the mobs level.

could be, if you have low hp/ratio you get "max" skills and when you're also max 5 level above the mobs level, you do get a bonus to skill gain.

On a 2nd thought, i think i was hunting in a team at that time, which should basically have halfed the hp/level ratio on hackers?

I made a test yesterday (but in mining) having this thread in mind and sometime later took a skill pill also, it seems nothing changed in skill gain as you guys already confirmed.

Pills wont change the value gained per green line, they just change the frequency in which you gain skills.....ie more green lines than you would without.

Well I think we have beat this one to death. We all agree that there is no skill nerf. I think this one can be CLOSED.

Back