51ms - Slyk deserves a PM Token too!

Slyk

Prowler
Havenn Slyk Ragnarok
So, Wezten beat me.....again :) this time in Survival by 51MS in Cat08! The smallest margin of any placement. Since 51ms is 1/8th of a human blink, I think it would be fair to count this as a tie and give us both a PM Token :)

Adding my post from below as it's being missed:

this is sarcasm but just thought it was funny how close the scores were

Last edited:
John Kreese : Second place? Second place is no place!

Lol, adding a post that this is sarcasm :D but just thought it was funny how close the scores were

So, Wezten beat me.....again :) this time in Survival by 51MS in Cat08! The smallest margin of any placement. Since 51ms is 1/8th of a human blink, I think it would be fair to count this as a tie and give us both a PM Token :)

I can actually agree with this. Heck i´d even go as far as saying "if two times come within one second of one another, they should count as a tie" because quite honestly, 1 Second is a very small fraction of time in this context, 51 ms, even more fractional.

So if a sprinter at olympic games is 51ms slower than the first one, he still deserves a gold medal ???

No Brainer, sorry

So if a sprinter at olympic games is 51ms slower than the first one, he still deserves a gold medal ???

No Brainer, sorry

If one can prove that outside parameters may have had an impact on the race, then sure. If wind blows 40m/s faster in the opposite direction of the sprinters, only in the lane where the person coming in second place is, then surely this sprinter is the faster of the two.

Since generally in sprinting races, parameters are controlled (such that most short races, are run in an indoors environment for instance) this is an irrelevant comparison. This particular second place participant, may very well have performed better than the first place participant. In a mode where "skill" is the primary measure of success, outside parameters should not have an impact on the outcome. This is however inevitable in a situation like this, so my proposition is that when the time difference is insignificant enough, the people tie. It´s not unreasonable.

Cant believe even THIS is causing people to whine. Even OP said its a sarcastic thread and yet people jump on the "MA did everything wrong bandwagon"

He got beat, simple as that. 1 hour or 1 ms doesnt matter.
That second place would get first place prize IS unreasonable.

If one can prove that outside parameters may have had an impact on the race, then sure. If wind blows 40m/s faster in the opposite direction of the sprinters, only in the lane where the person coming in second place is, then surely this sprinter is the faster of the two.

Since generally in sprinting races, parameters are controlled (such that most short races, are run in an indoors environment for instance) this is an irrelevant comparison. This particular second place participant, may very well have performed better than the first place participant. In a mode where "skill" is the primary measure of success, outside parameters should not have an impact on the outcome. This is however inevitable in a situation like this, so my proposition is that when the time difference is insignificant enough, the people tie. It´s not unreasonable.

OK give me a history lesson please!

When (date) anytime in history did a second place at olympic games or world championships get a gold medal?

I can actually agree with this. Heck i´d even go as far as saying "if two times come within one second of one another, they should count as a tie" because quite honestly, 1 Second is a very small fraction of time in this context, 51 ms, even more fractional.

Yes, tracking down to 1 second makes sense from realistic standpoint. Discrepancies in ms could be caused by all sorts of technical faults - server lag, latency, connection issues, bottle necks in code execution...etc. Hell 51ms could even be the difference in latency in your mouse vs theirs. If you had a better mouse maybe it would have registered that last click just slightly faster than them.

However, from an event organizer standpoint ms makes more sense because they wanted to avoid the very thing of "hey we tied, so we BOTH get a prize, right?". :laugh:

But what can you do... the numbers don't lie. If you had gotten lucky with one more critical hit somewhere along the line you would have beaten them. In any case, gratz on the very close match - better luck next time. lol

When (date) anytime in history did a second place at olympic games or world championships get a gold medal?
Probly when they stripped all the russians from their doping medals

71R2g2ZKbkL._SX425_.jpg

Cant believe even THIS is causing people to whine. Even OP said its a sarcastic thread and yet people jump on the "MA did everything wrong bandwagon"

He got beat, simple as that. 1 hour or 1 ms doesnt matter.
That second place would get first place prize IS unreasonable.

Noone in this thread has said that MA has done anything wrong, noone has said that he should share the 1st place prize. The ONLY thing i´ve said is that I can agree that it would make sense.

Now let´s say the instance crashed for Slyk, 51ms before going over 1st place time? Is the premise the same? Has Slyk then really been beat?(perhaps Slyk might even be alive 30 minutes after the time in question, we´ll never now) . Naturally this goes both ways

Now the same way, if lag caused Slyk to not be able to heal, which would have allowed him to live several seconds longer, has Slyk really been beat? (Naturally, this as well goes both ways)

If Slyk and Wezten competed on the exact same terms, in a skill based event, there´d be no doubt about it, those 51ms wouldn´t matter. But in an environment like this, I can see how it would make sense.

I can also see how it would not make sense. Just pointing that out.

Congratulations for the second place ! Is not the first but is still an achievement, you still have time to train,invest and train again till the next event. And when you will be strong enough you won’t let space for nobody to take that 1st place.

Yes, tracking down to 1 second makes sense from realistic standpoint. Discrepancies in ms could be caused by all sorts of technical faults - server lag, latency, connection issues, bottle necks in code execution...etc. Hell 51ms could even be the difference in latency in your mouse vs theirs. If you had a better mouse maybe it would have registered that last click just slightly faster than them.

Yeah that is true, but there is also minimal factors that influence RL sportsmen success vs fail.

There was a nice runner, who did not wear shoes, and he won many races, a direct advantage vs those wearing shoes.

Do you know how keen they look at weight of the bikes in the Tour de France and how much value just 1g less adds to the value of bike.

Same for Formula 1, weight is an important measure, every kg less than opponents car impacts chance of win vs loss. And then the timing, when do we fuel and how much do we fuel, how long last the tires, are our tires better than opponents tires and so on and so on and so on.

This can become an endless list if you look at all competions in our world.

So if this what you mentioned was the reason for beeing 51ms slower, then Slyk simply did not prepare good enough.
Have a faster I-Net conection, have the lowest latency in the hardware you use, all this maybe impacts your chances when it gets that close that 51ms decide over win or loss.

Its a competion, obviously you should think about much more than just skill and gear ingame :)

Fact is, he survive 51ms less, easy as that.
2nd place is first loser!

Well as a matter of fact, here´s a list of all the winter olympic gold medal ties.

1928 | Speedskating | Men | 500 metres

1956 | Speedskating | Men | 1500 metres

1960 | Speedskating | Men | 1500 metres

1972 | Luge | Men | Doubles

1998 | Bobsledding | Men | Two

2002 | Cross-Country Skiing | Men | Pursuit

2002 | Figure Skating | Mixed | Pairs

There have also been ties for other medals. The silver has been shared eleven times, and two athletes have both received bronze seven times. There have been 25 previous ties for a medal at the Winter Olympics – 7 for gold, 11 for silver, and 7 for bronze. In 1968

As for the Summer olympics, this actually happened just slightly more than two years ago, in august 12 2016.

"At the Summer Olympics, a tie for first, or two or more gold medals awarded, has occurred 27 times."

"Canadian Penny Oleksiak and Simone Manuel of the United States were inseparable at the finish and even more united in joy after a stunning 100 meters freestyle dead-heat rewarded both with Olympic gold on Thursday."

EDIT: I already know what you´re gonna say, "There are no second place participant getting gold medal"

To that I respond with "Who had the accuracy to measure speedskaters in the milliseconds in the 20s? For all we know, there could be up to 500ms between the two people tied in the 1928 speedskating.

Noone in this thread has said that MA has done anything wrong, noone has said that he should share the 1st place prize. The ONLY thing i´ve said is that I can agree that it would make sense.

Now let´s say the instance crashed for Slyk, 51ms before going over 1st place time? Is the premise the same? Has Slyk then really been beat?(perhaps Slyk might even be alive 30 minutes after the time in question, we´ll never now) . Naturally this goes both ways

Well if a runner at olympic games stumbles 3m befor reaching finishing line, because a bee hit his eye and he falls down, he lose.
Doesn´t really matter.

Its things you can´t control, players cant control, MA cant control.
If a satelite goes offline for whatever reason and you got rerouted which can cause lag, who can control that?
Its the same as a bee hiting your eye 3m befor you reach the finishing line.

It really doesn´t matter what the reason for this 51ms is, fact is its 51ms less.

Well as a matter of fact, here´s a list of all the winter olympic gold medal ties.

1928 | Speedskating | Men | 500 metres

1956 | Speedskating | Men | 1500 metres

1960 | Speedskating | Men | 1500 metres

1972 | Luge | Men | Doubles

1998 | Bobsledding | Men | Two

2002 | Cross-Country Skiing | Men | Pursuit

2002 | Figure Skating | Mixed | Pairs

There have also been ties for other medals. The silver has been shared eleven times, and two athletes have both received bronze seven times. There have been 25 previous ties for a medal at the Winter Olympics – 7 for gold, 11 for silver, and 7 for bronze. In 1968

As for the Summer olympics, this actually happened just slightly more than two years ago, in august 12 2016.

"At the Summer Olympics, a tie for first, or two or more gold medals awarded, has occurred 27 times."

"Canadian Penny Oleksiak and Simone Manuel of the United States were inseparable at the finish and even more united in joy after a stunning 100 meters freestyle dead-heat rewarded both with Olympic gold on Thursday."

EDIT: I already know what you´re gonna say, "There are no second place participant getting gold medal"

To that I respond with "Who had the accuracy to measure speedskaters in the milliseconds in the 20s? For all we know, there could be up to 500ms between the two people tied in the 1928 speedskating.

Its ties.
If the clock shows the exact same time it is a tie.
For sprinters they use finishing photo as for some other events aswell.
Even with finishing photo it happend, that they could not say who is first or second, then it is a tie.

It matters how exact the clocks work, if MA would have used a clock that just counted seconds, then it would be a tie and both would have deserved the first price, but MA used a clock that showed ms, so it is not a tie, as times are different.

It was not a tie, clock showed 51ms difference.

We can discuss that endlessly, you will not convince me!

Here we have a clear first and second.

Oh god I have started a controversy :x

Oh god I have started a controversy :x

Oh no, no controversy. Just a lively discussion between disgreeing parties. Alas, it is over now as I have said my pov, and have nothing more to add! :)

If it was a bug sure.. but i think mindark has bigger fish to fry... like looking at my Bloody support case lol

Last edited:
"He who stirs the shit pot should have to lick the spoon."

Man that's gotta burn. :laugh:

Adding my post from below as it's being missed:

this is sarcasm but just thought it was funny how close the scores were

I think u both should take a PM token.... i totally agree. Also I think all player who are at maximum 2 sec. one each other should be on the same place. But the main problem is that MA lower the Mayhem events prize compared with other years. Also they should remove 5k and 1k points from anihilation competitions.

Chears !

I think u both should take a PM token.... i totally agree. Also I think all player who are at maximum 2 sec. one each other should be on the same place. But the main problem is that MA lower the Mayhem events prize compared with other years. Also they should remove 5k and 1k points from anihilation competitions.

Chears !

Maybe not the 1k, but the 5k for sure.
Most will say that is only fair to have those in, but I would disagree, I was killing 195 zombies every hour, and I didnt even made it top 10 due to, in the whole 15 hours, never got more than 40 points a kill. Meanwhile the people at top 10, def got at least 1k+, most likely got several 5k.

The 5k enables people with very good but not the best dps to still make a top spot, and makes it possible for those with good dps but not top 10 dps to get in the top 10 once in a while. I think that is a good thing. It shouldn't be just purely a dps contest imo.

There is a certain philosophy that wants "everything equal" and rejects individualism, individualistic excellence, achievements and fairness in any organized sport or competition.

These people want "everyone equal", so they do that by reducing each person to the lowest common denominator, instead of raising them to the highest levels of success.

These are the whiners, complainers and bitchers who shout "that's not fair" when someone loses in a race. These are the ones who say "it's not fair" when someone violates the KNOWN rules for a contest and still doesn't win. (not in this case, of course).

And these are the same fools that ban dodgeball, tag and little boys kissing a girl on the playground.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the OP. I've been in his position before, losing by a fraction.

But a loss is a loss, not a "Participation Award", as is done in certain countries that support this perverted philosophy.

Dude, you got a hell of a lot closer than anyone else, though. Gratz.

The 5k enables people with very good but not the best dps to still make a top spot, and makes it possible for those with good dps but not top 10 dps to get in the top 10 once in a while. I think that is a good thing. It shouldn't be just purely a dps contest imo.

I am okay with the 1k, and getting 0 points randomly, I am completely okay.. just the 5k is just too much difference, if you don't hit a 5k, you 100% will loose, no ifs or buts, you will 100% loose.

Getting 0-1000 still leaves everybody on the same win condition, of luck and randomness, but does not penalizes the least lucky ones who didn't got any 1kers as bad... Just my personal opinion, like it's fine that they want to make it more competitive in a way that everybody has a chance to win, but having such a big difference, just makes it so the most lucky ones will be the ones winning..

Defo should be a tie! Both get a token.

Or...

Sudden death! Put them both in a survival together and stream for everyone to see

I am okay with the 1k, and getting 0 points randomly, I am completely okay.. just the 5k is just too much difference, if you don't hit a 5k, you 100% will loose, no ifs or buts, you will 100% loose.

Getting 0-1000 still leaves everybody on the same win condition, of luck and randomness, but does not penalizes the least lucky ones who didn't got any 1kers as bad... Just my personal opinion, like it's fine that they want to make it more competitive in a way that everybody has a chance to win, but having such a big difference, just makes it so the most lucky ones will be the ones winning..

Well, I did the 15 hours maybe a dozen times, and I looted 3 5k's, unfortunately not in the same run. You can make your own luck. Now I just need dps...

Back