Lessons learned the hard way...

Madmartigan

Dominant
Society
Infamous
Madmartigan Maxell Maximus
I thought I’d create a thread based on my failures to help others avoid certain pitfalls. As entropia attracts a new generation of players, avoiding my mistakes may help a few of you stick around. I’ve always spent what I could afford to lose, but I haven’t been the smartest player. Thankfully, I’ve been blessed with great friends in game that helped me pull my head out of my ass :dunce:

Hindsight is 20/20!

1. Have long term goals and STICK with them

I have bounced around doing anything and everything, mostly in efforts to chase swirls. In the end, I am a jack of many trades, yet master of none. Create goals and work to achieve them! As in real life, the rewards will eventually happen.​

2. Do not force the HOF

Yea this is possible, I’ve done it many times and witnessed others as well. Truth is, this method is toxic and will almost always leave you wondering what the hell you were thinking. Big hits will happen when they are meant to happen. The people that usually win big got lucky on a single scratch ticket or lottery pick. You just need to play the game normal. I’m yet to read a story where someone says “I bought $10,000 in scratcher tickets and won!”​

3. Make friends

I spent my first year back (old 05-06 player) in 2016 playing solo. I can’t tell you the amount of wasted Peds on bad trades, hunting wrong mobs, or just playing dumb trying to figure it all out. Joining a society vastly expanded my understanding and horizons within entropia.​

4. Read the forums

This place is a treasure trove of information! We are all very fortunate to have access to nearly 10+ years of information. It took only one stupid trade for me to learn that I won’t buy anything big without researching it here first.​

5. You don’t need to try/own every unlimited item

This may just be unique to me and my addictive personality! Truth is, I’m the type that loves new shiny things. While I do still struggle in this category, I have really put into perspective that I only need specific gear to accomplish my CURRENT goals.​

6. Play on a budget, don’t chase your losses

This sounds easy, but I have broken this rule over 100 times. Deposit to invest in yourself and achieve goals, while understanding this game is meant to be entertaining. It’s ok to spend some $$, just make it count.​

7. Investment will bring payoff

Losing thousands of Peds to risky activity eventually leads you to wondering what else you could have done with those Peds. Take my advice and use those Peds to invest instead. You have a 99% chance to make more Peds with 5 AUD’s than you do with one level 13 amp. Treat this game more like real life and you will achieve real results.​

8. Lastly, have fun or a take a break

I completely lost sight of this concept last year and it nearly destroyed my entropia experience. If you aren’t having fun or are getting overly frustrated, take a break or confide in your friends. It’s not going to be awesome every hunt, mining or crafting run. You aren’t going to log in and win every time. In real life we base our “winning” on long term payoffs (bought a house, new car, beautiful wife, happy healthy kids, new job) and in real life we don’t expect to HOF everyday. We only expect to have fun and enjoy the experience. Adjusting your perspective is the key here.​

We are all fortunate that a game like this exists and I hope MA continues to improve upon it without fail. I wish you all a happy 2019 and good luck out there!

Madmartigan

Good post, wise advise.

I believe i own a coat with tiarak texture i bought from you, maybe in one of your starting attempth to do everything.

id like to add:
°DO MISSIONS AND DAILY: getting committed in mission(even long term one) and daily is the best way to reduce the losses on regular activity, and achieve for free upgrades that otherwise would have costed you many peds

nice post, really

These are some good valid points that a lot of people properly know, but also seem to forget from time to time..

really good advice. the long term goals and sticking to them is such an important thing

play at your own pace, don't force yourself or worse let you being forced todo things you normally won't do.

for new players:

This is not W.O.W., your millions of gold in wow mean jack shit here ( or any other mmo ) ( how often i've heared this is just stupid )
neather does i can lvl a char from 1 to max in 2 days.

good post :)

Nice post! +1

Back