Camera & Control System Preview and Guides

Dennis|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
MindArk Official
Camera and Control Introduction

General Presentation - Dennis Antonsson
My name is Dennis Antonsson and I am currently the Product Owner for the Entropia Universe Platform. I have been with MindArk for about 9 years, following my education in Game Design and Computer Science. I started out in Quality Assurance at MindArk and then moved on to Game Design and later became a Producer which was my role for about 1.5 years. In late 2018, I was the assigned the position of Product Owner for Entropia Universe, which means that I am the primary person responsible for the project, coordinating the efforts of the design, balancing, art and development teams.

Background
For some time the MindArk team has felt that the existing camera and control system results in confusion for many new participants, along with frustration and unnecessary limitations for many current and veteran participants.

Several existing features (for example, Next Target and switching between camera modes) have issues with consistency and undesired side effects on other features or systems.

The current state of the camera and control system also imposes limits on many of our design ideas and the impacts the implementation of desired new features.

A few months ago, in October, MindArk hosted a workshop at its offices in Gothenburg for 8 members of the community to test drive an early version of the new camera system and provide feedback.

Goals
Our overhaul of the camera and control system, focused on several important goals:
  • Simplify and streamline the system by minimizing the number of controls and Action Library items required for the most common usage scenarios.
  • More closely integrate the existing cursor and aim mode systems.
  • Create a default control system that is familiar for new participants who are accustomed to “standard” layouts encountered in other popular games.
  • Offer customization and key mapping for all new features and Actions, where possible.
  • Retain as many existing camera and control modes and features as practical: First-person mode, aim mode, third-person mode, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Changes and New Actions
Lock Target (TAB key by default)
Next Target has been replaced by a new Action called Lock Target. The functionality of this Action is identical to using the left mouse button to click on a target. Priority selection among multiple potential targets depends on the direction of the camera center (targeting reticule in Aim Mode) and relative proximity. Repeating this Action with a short time frame will cycle through available targets. Lock Target does not target avatars.

Interact (F key by default, or RMB in cursor mode)
Interact is a context-sensitive Action performed on the currently selected target. If the current target is a vehicle, Interact will cause your avatar to enter the vehicle. If the target is a fruit on the ground, your avatar will pick it up. If the target is a creature, your avatar will move to interaction range and enable Auto Use Tool if possible. Holding the Interaction key for a couple of seconds will open a context menu for targets with valid secondary actions available.

Camera Transition (C key by default)

Alternate the current camera mode from first- or third-person. Holding the Camera Transition key for a couple of seconds will enable Personal Camera mode (see below).

Abort/Deselect (ESC key by default)
Aborts the currently selected action or tool, depending on current state.

Ready and Relaxed mode are used much more in the new system, and it is made clear when an avatar is in one of those modes. Run speed is higher while in Relaxed Mode (i.e. with no items equipped).

Upon launch, the new camera and control system will use the new default settings. However, all previously existing key bindings have been saved for reference in a text file in the directory where Entropia Universe is installed. We recommend that everyone try out the new default settings to get a proper feel for the new system and features, and then customize later.

Default Actions and Key Mappings
Key - Command
W - Move forward
S - Move backward/Towards camera
A - Move Left/Strafe Left
D - Move Right/Strafe Left
Space - Jump
Alt - Switch Aim/Cursor mode
E - Auto use tool
R - Ready/Relax tool
TAB - Select Target/Deselect Target
F - Do prefered action
F Hold - Open context menu
Mouse Wheel - Zoom in when in “Ready” (to scope if available)
Z - Toggle Scope (when available)
C - Camera Swap
C Hold - Activate Photo Camera
1,2, 3 etc - Switch tools on action bar
Middle Mouse Hold - Rotate camera
Q - Auto run
Mouse 4 - Auto run
Left+Right Mouse - Move in cameras direction
ESC - Aborts auto use tool and then selected target

Aim Mode
Left Mouse - Use tool
Right Mouse - Interact/prefered Action

Cursor Mode
Left mouse - Select target or interact/use tool on an already selected target
Right Mouse - Interact/prefered action or open context menu
Right Mouse Hold - Rotate camera/Open context menu if mouse not moving

Other changes
  • Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.
  • Double clicking a target now performs the preferred action rather than defaulting to the Item Info action.
  • Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.
  • Improved target outlines for increased visibility.
  • Improved mouseover information for targets.
  • Hit confirmation feedback on targets.
  • Visual indication when a target is in range.
  • Terminal interfaces now automatically close when an avatar walks away beyond a certain distance.
  • Added a new Photo Camera mode, a detached-view follow camera fully controllable with the WASD and arrow keys. Field of View can be adjusted using the Z key + scroll.

***These notes are not yet finalized. Full details will be published in the Version Update release notes.***

The implementation of the new Camera & Control system is fast approaching. To assist participants in getting the most enjoyment and usability from the new features, our team has prepared a trio of video guides.

Our team is eager to receive feedback from the community while we put the finishing touches on the new system.

Last edited:
In the current system, having your inventory open and in focus interferes with Tab and Backspace keys and doesn't let you use items or execute functions assigned to these two keys.

Please check this before making any of these keys default for anything.

Unrelated: the new font for damage messages is certainly an improvement.

I hope you have considered to also close terminal windows when players get summoned away from a terminal and dont actually walk.
I hope the indication for targets being in range is also visible in space when using a gun turret.

I hope that these new systems come additinally to all the other overdue updates - we are still waiting on spaceship features from 8 years ago and transport missions to give ship owners opportunities back that were taken - https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?282864-Space-State-of-the-Universe-an-overview-and-outlook-of-past-and-future

[*]Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.
Why is this felt necessary? The run speed adaptation to slope angle is a feature adding realism which once caused effort to implement, I can't see a good reason for abandoning it now. And the cutoff means that some areas are no longer accessible at all unless by vehicle, if allowed in the respective region. It's been a fun little thing since forever to climb steep summits and enjoy the view, avatar attributes influencing climb speed allow for comparison. Not to speak of reaching mobs or mining claims. Please reconsider throwing all this away, ideally add a climbing animation used automatically upwards of said angle.

Thank you for the detailed communication.

Last edited:
*waits with baited breath that it will all work smoothly in space, particularly in pilot and gunner mode*

:D

Looks like some much needed and welcome changes, thanks for the details and previews!

updates!

Space update next please!!! Give us some iron missions in MA OWNED SPACE!!! it will be good for everyone MA and the Community both.

Looks nice for sure. More smooth. I hope it will be same for the hard little mobs such as ripper snapper or other small ones taht currently are hard or impossible to aim at.

How will this be for pvp? Mind to show a little video of that too?
Same goes for mining i guess

I see you have NOT fixed the old issue of the first shot not registering sometimes. You can clearly see it in your own videos...

[ Proof (1st video at 3:19) ]

Just in case you didn't know.

As long as I can use all my default keymaps, that I have set over the past 13 years , all should be good.

[*]Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.

Very bad!

What about mobs that sometimes glitch into the ground when killed (f.e. Igni do that very often).

How can I loot thirs mobs if I dont have the status bar ???

No I dont want to use a autoloot pill to do that!

Personally I use that feature very often as it is comfortable.

Especially in croweded areas, where several hunters are active I often drag status bars of several mobs, that I can avaoid shooting others mobs by accident.

Removing that not a good idea, if you ask me!

Does it still work for players? Can I drag status bars of players, when I am out of team?
What about teams, will I have status bars of my teammates.

I fear good by FAP jobs for teams, if not member of the team, as it will definately will be very anoying not to have the status bars of all hunters that I should heal.

Other changes
  • Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.

While I like many of the changes, this one is unacceptable. As an oldtimer who have been using "dragging healthbars and selecting it" since 2006. :mad:
Don't say it is no longer needed just because you guys are too lazy to fix it.

It's crucial to have health bars. By dragging healthbars I can pick instantly what maturity I want to kill first. For instance the strongest first since it hits the hardest.

Also for healing jobs are you mad? How the hell are one supposed to heal more than one player? You need to have health bars to continuously have constant watch of everyone's health in one time! And not all people want to add healers to team, so that wouldn't work for all.

Also there should still be away to target targets manually if one wants to, is this removed in this version since mouse 1 automatically changes target???
This can cause potential hassle/conflicts when hunting near participants, i.e accidentally picking same mob as other participant.

You guys are limiting the way to play for no reason other than lazyness it seems.
Options means diversity and increased player retention rate. Not all like to play autouse tool times infinity.

Also in video 2 it seems @ 3:55 the F key autoloots all targets in your vicinity? How is the range on this, is it unlimited amount of mobs? R.I.P autoloot pills? An welcome change if it works this way.

Last edited:
a stretchable inventory window would be cool :)

Does this fix the situation where you can select/target a mob that can't be hit due to an object, a hill, etc. and then you get dragged slowly towards the target? That's really annoying.

Does the camera still lock to a position when you Global or HoF? Let's be honest this is all that people care about. Maybe a video of this? :cool::cool::cool: but seriously can we not get some side view screenshots of Globals and HoFs with out the camera snapping

Also, all you did was ranged videos? How about some love for the Melee users and showing off the new camera system for them.

P.S. I do like the new font you selected and it's nice to see after 10 years you start to embrace the power of the CryEngine!

Also in video 2 it seems @ 3:55 the F key autoloots all targets in your vicinity? How is the range on this, is it unlimited amount of mobs? R.I.P autoloot pills? An welcome change if it works this way.

Good bye damage supporters, when going looter takes all, I surely dont want the DMG support automatically loot all, what is my loot.

LOL, this guys obviously never play their own game.

And this automated autouse tool, hell I dont want autouse.

Consider you are mining and a left click starts autouse on finder, LOL at least MA makes a lot of money by constantly double and tripple probing the same spot.

I surely will hate it.

Well, if it is as bad as I think its, it maybe time to sell my deeds and cash out.

Good bye damage supporters, when going looter takes all, I surely dont want the DMG support automatically loot all, what is my loot.

LOL, this guys obviously never play their own game.

And this automated autouse tool, hell I dont want autouse.

Consider you are mining and a left click starts autouse on finder, LOL at least MA makes a lot of money by constantly double and tripple probing the same spot.

I surely will hate it.

Well, if it is as bad as I think its, it maybe time to sell my deeds and cash out.

Hadn't even thought about the mining aspect of this new "feature". That could be problematic. :lolup:
Hopefully they will add an option on teaming of "Leader takes all" to compensate for this "feature" though. Although I kinda remember something like that existing sometime back? I could be wrong. :ahh:

I don't think I've ever had that problem, but I definitely see it in the video, more than once.

I get it quite a lot.

Thanks Dennis for having now put something together for us :yay:
While I like the idea of autotool activating, can it be set to not activate on a tagger, for example, where a player might want to tag at range and then wait for closer action on a different weap? Also, if you swap on the fly to a weap with less range, will the avatar begin to run towards the mob field and maybe aggro other mobs by mistake?

I also like that the new target select considers where the avatar is currently looking and not just distance to a mob. It would be even nicer if there were features such as 'ignore out of range' instead of moving the avatar into range, for the same reasons as above with mob aggravations, but I guess we will find out for ourselves.

If answers are in the vids (I've only watched the first so far) then this just shows what questions I thought straight away... ;).

Thanks again for giving us some peace of mind - and rather unexpectedly on a Saturday as well :laugh:

Other changes

I hope you are sure it is no longer needed, because I think I do need it.

Obviously you will have tested that you can easily shoot even the smallest & fastest creatures with this new system before doing this - right?

Microsoft removed the Start button once because it was considered not needed. Dont make the same mistake.

I agree with others about the status bar removal, that seems like a backward step. Otherwise, looks pretty good, though no doubt will take some getting used to.

Being able to switch to scope with a keypress sounds especially good. If that saves me having to keep going in and out on the scroll wheel so much, my tendons (or what I have left of them) will thank you very much.

We should do a petition with a poll to keep this system.... To show them how many NEED IT. :ahh:

Obviously you will have tested that you can shoot even the smallest creatures with this new system before doing this - right?

I use this a lot when collecting, hope there will be an alternative:(

and and and...

what about dragging the health bar of a ship? We drag the bars of quads to team target them, or right click and show passengers to see if its pirate. Will this no longer be possible?

Hopefully they will add an option on teaming of "Leader takes all" to compensate for this "feature" though. Although I kinda remember something like that existing sometime back? I could be wrong. :ahh:

Leader takes all, was replaced with Looter takes all because lootable PvP exploit.
Leader stay save outside PvP, while hunters kill inside lootable PvP, and all loot directly went out of PvP to the leader.
So going back and enable that exploit again, is not the solution.

In teams, the members of the team should simply be able to decide who actually loots.
Really dont want it auto!

Last edited by a moderator:

So many uses for them over the past 15 years...

Removing them is going to be as popular as a randy dog at a Miss Lovely Legs competition Dennis!

Leader takes all, was replaced with Looter takes all because lootable PvP exploit.
Leader stay save outside PvP, while hunters kill inside lootable PvP, and all loot directly went out of PvP to the leader.
So going back and enable that exploit again, is not the solution.

In teams, the members of the team should simply be able to decide who actually loots.
Really dont want it auto!

I see. Proving yet again MA are just lazy and removes features other than actually bothering to fixing them.

They could fix it properly by adding a secondary rule to that rule so if team leader is outside pvp, there will be a system message like you get when you are alone in team (similar) i.e team leader is not in pvp zone so this creature cannot be looted. :)

Interesting...

It used to be that you couldn't move when you had a terminal window open, so is this change going to apply to ALL terminal windows? What happens when you walk away from a contruction machine window? Same thing?

What about a Vehicle Inventory window? Currently, when you open one, you can't move. With the new changes, will it close on you if you are moving? Or will it behave like a storage container window and stay opened?

You didn't say anything about the 'falling through floors' bug that people are experiencing in shops and apartments. I have placed a lot of faith on this new camera system and really am hoping that this bug will be handled with it. Is that the case? Will the new camera system take care of that issue?

Back