Camera & Control System Preview and Guides

Options means diversity and increased player retention rate. Not all like to play autouse tool times infinity.

Also in video 2 it seems @ 3:55 the F key autoloots all targets in your vicinity? How is the range on this, is it unlimited amount of mobs? R.I.P autoloot pills? An welcome change if it works this way.
The first mob was already looted in your example here, Sub-Zero...,

Dennis, please pay attention to the first bit quoted: Options means diversity and increased player retention rate. Without having read this one of my first thoughts was about NOT having auto on, even though I like the idea of it being available. It should not be hard-wired, however!!! I assume we will still have an icon/key for deactivating auto?
Please give us options to tick or untick, and maybe keyboard maps which can have these options saved to them specifically so we can have various setups.

Interesting...

It used to be that you couldn't move when you had a terminal window open, so is this change going to apply to ALL terminal windows? What happens when you walk away from a contruction machine window? Same thing?
New motto: If you don't like the crafting results, just walk away!!! ;)
But seriously, great questions there. I hope vehicle action ranges are extended a bit so that jumping out does not already put you too far away to put the vehicle away again... and I'd love a 'put loot in selected vehicle window' option, while being able to move within a radius and shoot stuff.
It would also be nice to be able to select what to focus on, such as target select mobs only, even when a vehicle is out.

It looks like many people are concerned about the loss of dragged-out bars too. Add me to the list there, Dennis. I hope you've tested teams, space (vehicle pvp) etc etc as well in all of this...

On status bars again, this:

"Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed."

makes me think you don't know how people use status bars. Perhaps you think we use them to select and interact targets. We don't, for the most part. We use them to keep track of what is happening near us.

Thank you for the highly detailed explanation and contingency plan should the new defaults not be ideal for everyone.

I think this looks to be quite ok, nothing odd that shouldn't be able to get used to.

Interesting...

It used to be that you couldn't move when you had a terminal window open, so is this change going to apply to ALL terminal windows? What happens when you walk away from a contruction machine window? Same thing?

What about a Vehicle Inventory window? Currently, when you open one, you can't move. With the new changes, will it close on you if you are moving? Or will it behave like a storage container window and stay opened?

You didn't say anything about the 'falling through floors' bug that people are experiencing in shops and apartments. I have placed a lot of faith on this new camera system and really am hoping that this bug will be handled with it. Is that the case? Will the new camera system take care of that issue?

Falling through the floor has to do with faulty collison between objects. Shouldn't have anything to do
with the camerasystem?

I really hope there will be an alternate interact where I can tag the selected mob one time only.
This is important for many reasons: like wanting to melee, wanting to sweat, not wanting to use the amount of ammo the tagger takes, and I am sure there are more.

I'd sign a petition to keep the drag-out bar, it's been useful on many occasions.

i was always using the drag and drop of health bars when hunting bigger stacks of mobs at the same time so i can immediately see what maturities are on me so i can kill them first

and instant auto-use tool? you kidding me? what a bullshit is that? when that activates as a miner im immediately gone.

i was always using the drag and drop of health bars when hunting bigger stacks of mobs at the same time so i can immediately see what maturities are on me so i can kill them first

and instant auto-use tool? you kidding me? what a bullshit is that? when that activates as a miner im immediately gone.

I probably missed something in the text, but isn't auto-use tool activated when there is a
target in area? In mining we doesn't use targets, or? ;)

[*]Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.
[*]Double clicking a target now performs the preferred action rather than defaulting to the Item Info action.
[*]Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.

I think these removals may be a bad idea... I use health bars ALL THE TIME, as do many others. In third person perspective, it's the easiest way of doing things... especially if you experience lag since you can just click on the health bar and it's little pixels are staying in the same spot so you aren't loosing peds in misses, using auto tool aimed at the wrong thing, etc. For folks with lower end graphic cards, etc. removing health bar is a very, very bad mistake.

I see you are trying to fix the target next issues mentioned on the forum, but THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT IMHO.

Slope run removal is also a mistake UNLESS you flatten the hell out of the terrain back to pre vu 10 type status!... there are blasted hills all over the map and many of them are over 60 degrees...

(personally I think it was still a bad move to put in the degree thing on the L-Quent sideboard a few years back... it was nice to be able to stack stuff on it sideways if you had little area to work with such as in a booth, etc.)

I also use status bars extensively not just for healing but also in my shop and in space as well.
Please show us this system while mining and also intereracting in a shop , maybe one on Ark ;)

Camera and Control Introduction

Interact (F key by default, or RMB in cursor mode)
Interact is a context-sensitive Action performed on the currently selected target. If the current target is a vehicle, Interact will cause your avatar to enter the vehicle. If the target is a fruit on the ground, your avatar will pick it up. If the target is a creature, your avatar will move to interaction range and enable Auto Use Tool if possible. Holding the Interaction key for a couple of seconds will open a context menu for targets with valid secondary actions available.

How will this effect tools such as scanners , will it lock auto use ?
I don't think multiple scans of the same creature is needed.

Interact (F key by default, or RMB in cursor mode)
If the target is a creature, your avatar will move to interaction range and enable Auto Use Tool if possible. Holding the Interaction key for a couple of seconds will open a context menu for targets with valid secondary actions available.

We have option to disable "Move to target" in options menue, will this option be obsole with new system, as I read it that we always will MOVE TO, even if we dont want that.

Why AUTO USE TOOL, if I do 1 click, 1 want 1 action and not AUTOUSE, especially when scanning AUTOUSE sucks.

For some hunting tactics AUTOUSE sucks too, as it may result in extremly overkill.

I know that a part of overkill is returned in loot, but this is not the case when you do nearly 200% of mobs HP in DMG.
Now your initial shot (1 shot kill attempt), resulted in a mob left with 1 HP, guess what happens with AUTOUSE on the first click. Well nearly +100% overkill, I really dont want that.

Please change that, to 1 action / click, and leave AUTO USE as it is now - for me that means mapped on a key, so I can enable/disable it any time.

If target is a player, I want AUTOUSE even less, especially for healer jobs, AUTOUSE sucks.
It can be already an issue at single player heal jobs, but it is extremly bad if I have to heal more than just 1 customer.

1 click 1 use please!

I probably missed something in the text, but isn't auto-use tool activated when there is a
target in area? In mining we doesn't use targets, or? ;)

Valid point, no targets in mining.

It still sucks for scanning, healing, and different hunting styles.

[*]Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.

No more mountain mining, as you will need to spawn every damn claim, simply because you cant reach it anymore.

I am presuming the auto use tool won’t be enabled in pvp? It would suck to be firing off 1 ped shots into the abyss of space for nothing! Or the cost of hitting nothing is changed to be the same as mob hunting planet side?

Camera and Control Introduction

Other changes
  • Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.
[/I]

I hope you guys reconsider the 60 degree slope change. I'm not sure if you realize how much of the normal terrain in game is > 60 degrees. I would suggest upping this if you want to keep it in the changes, otherwise it is going to be an annoyance to anyone playing the game.

I read it all and watched the videos.
I wait to se what it will work like for me in most cases.

But NOT being able to drag out the health bar is a very BAD idea imo.:mad:
And also the change in running on slops i dont think is good. But that i have to try out i gess.
A fast key to change camera is a nice change tho :wtg:

Anyway thx for the info and comunication it can newer be to much comunication :wise:

It seems like this will be an improvement for those that want to be as ergonomic as possible and use the mouse as little as possible, such as myself. Using only keyboard hotkeys in hunting has always been really clunky and most mobs forces one to use the mouse or else the avatar runs towards it even if the mob is in range.

This new camera and control/targeting system seems like it will fix this and it is promising :) Although I wonder how this will work with pvp and mining :scratch2:

Looks interesting, let us test it. :)

[*]Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.

Please reconsider. I constantly use this and it seem like alot of other participants do as well.

The other changes looks interesting though

Removing healthbars does hopefully come with foresight about all impacted game elements - eg in a space battle with multiple ships in a 3d pvp environment with no radar its very hard to keep an overview on how damaged your respective opponents are if you cant pull their heathbars.
So i really hope that we will get some form of 3D radar (short range and longrange) for space that also displays some health(structural integrity) information, before you take away the only rudimentary 'tactical combat map' (dragged healthbars) that currently exists for space.

First of all I would like to say that the "player retention" problem is certainly not due to the camera system, and I hope you are well aware of that.

All the things you've done recently seems to make EU looks like all others games...
But EU is not like other games, and it should not be.
It is a RCE, the clientele is not the same as for most MMOs and will never be.

But well.. new camera system, why not..

At first sight it look pretty good.
Some changes are nice.
But some others are not.

The first 2 things I noticed while watching the videos are of an æsthetic nature. :painter:

First, about the hit/dmg messages on mob and on avatar's health bar, why did you change the fonts to use an ugly one ? Angular, no rounding..
The one that is currently ingame looks much better IMO.

Second, why do the loot no longer appear at the edge of the screen?
they are misaligned from the edge.
It's probably not disturbing for people who use large screens and high resolutions, but it can be for all others.
if you did it to free the message center icon, why not put the loot just below instead ?

Then there is alot I wonder about new system, next target ect.. but will think about it first before post here.

I think some things will not works here, and seeing how you test it, on a 3 mobs spawn, you will not find out that way.
What about respawn when you are in the middle of 50 mobs ?
what about the people hunting in first person view, aiming at one mob, when some respawn right behind ?
And when they don't have the armor you have there.. :ninja:

Next target on left mouse button ?? what ?.. :scratch2:

Again, I will think about it before telling and asking here, but for sure, you should really add the maximum of new stuff here only as options.

Most of us are getting old, and old people don't like to change their routines and habits.. :dunce:

Oh, and I'm afraid you forgot the thing you should have done 10 years ago maybe..
And so evrything else will be useless.

PLEASE FIX THE HIT BOX OF ALL MOB

System: Failed to move within interaction range.

:banghead:

Don't take health bars away... it IS necessary for third person, and for laggy situations so you are aiming at an actual target.

Also making auto tool go after nearest mob seems like a mistake unless you plan to separate ALL mixed mob spawns in game...

We've gotten used to select next... especially when auto loot is on. Hope this works similarly

Last edited:
A few months ago, in October, MindArk hosted a workshop at its offices in Gothenburg for 8 members of the community to test drive an early version of the new camera system and provide feedback.
It would be very interesting to know who the 8 members of the community were like in every meeting of players with MA (e.g. to give them our thanks for doing it in the name of community). In particular, any relationship to House of Gamers?
(it was an open invitation as said below thanks missed it, https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?305765-MindArk-Test-Workshop )
Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.
as far I know, there are 2 main use cases for status bars in hunting / pvp
1) killing mobs / other avatars
2) support (healing, buff effects, ...) of avatars / avatar groups
suppose the main issue you are trying to address is the item 1 where selection + next target + other features allow auto-hunting.
Can't you limit the removal by not allowing to use the hp bar for support while not allowing to kill using it? healing / buffing multiple avatars, the hp bar is very useful functionality and your statement "is no longer needed" might not be true for that.

Last edited:
Also making auto tool go after nearest mob seems like a mistake unless you plan to separate ALL mixed mob spawns in game...

We've gotten used to select next... especially when auto loot is on. Hope this works similarly

Right, I use auto-tool and next target, it select the closest mob, end of story.
I hope we will still be able to do this, because real hunt is grinding.
Make the avatar rotating alot faster please.

In your video you kill 3 mob, now please go for the full Iron on Atrox. :D

And yes, even I use auto-tool alot, I don't think that set it as default action is a good idea..

As for the health bars, well I killed millions of mobs, big, tiny, slow, fast, laggy.. and never used it a single time.
But lot of people tell they need it, so I don't know..

I like the loot he’s gettin , new camera system is coming also with that modified return ?

Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.

I've been around since 2003 and one thing that attracted and hooked me was the open world and ability to go to almost any landmark.

Players have spent many hours climbing mountains just for the sake of exploration. We have travelled to out of the way vistas just to marvel at the world before us.

The ability to climb mountains and explore endlessly is not something I have found in other games.

It is not something I ever expected to lose in this one.

Back