Camera & Control System Preview and Guides

[*]Removed the ability to drag out status bars. This feature caused many unintended issues and problems, and is no longer needed.

NO, DO NOT remove this feature, I use it all the time.
Not quite sure what unintended issues and problems your referring to, but I've been using it for years and never had a problem. I also do not use loot collection pills, and neither do I wish to start using them, or pressing a key on keyboard to loot the mob.

Would you care to elaborate on these so called Unintended issues and problems for us, so we can get into your mindset??
Doubt you'll even read this post again tbh.

Why you change stuff that's not broken??

Edit
Whatever happened to the voting system that was planned with the release of CLD's oh so many years ago.
Jeez, cowboys.

Last edited:
I've been around since 2003 and one thing that attracted and hooked me was the open world and ability to go to almost any landmark.

Players have spent many hours climbing mountains just for the sake of exploration. We have travelled to out of the way vistas just to marvel at the world before us.

The ability to climb mountains and explore endlessly is not something I have found in other games.

It is not something I ever expected to lose in this one.

I think the main problem whith MA is that they set things to white or black, it looks like they don't know there is shades of grey.
Or it's just easier to do..

When I first seen "Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees."
I thought "yeah nice!", cause that is really annoying sometimes.
But afterthought, this feature adds realism.

Maybe the best compromise would be not to remove the run speed penalty, but to significantly reduce it.

And I think that making it impossible to walk a 60° slope is too much.
70° or 75° would be better for many reasons. (it's pretty much how it is now)

The ability to climb mountains and explore endlessly is not something I have found in other games.

Well whats wrong with making the area in and around New Swizerland, completely uselss.
Is there any slope below 60° ?

Mountain climbing will be gone, reminds me of that player made event, where you have to climb a mountain as fast as possible.

MA is really good in killing players freedom to play that game the way we want.

I like the automatic autouse tool (which also seems to turn off automatically when the mob is dead), perhaps make it an option to turn it off.

I've been around since 2003 and one thing that attracted and hooked me was the open world and ability to go to almost any landmark.

Players have spent many hours climbing mountains just for the sake of exploration. We have travelled to out of the way vistas just to marvel at the world before us.

There is even a mountainclimbing event (entrolympics)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...1783-Entrolympics-2018&highlight=entrolympics

yes. YES, I mean!! Here i thought it was all about discord type com systems... Reminds me of the time when I first signed up way back in 2003 or something like and found the interface so clunky I rage quit. Told MA how bad it was too. So happy they finally got my mail, hehe, is that like 16 years now? Shh...don't tell my mom how rude I was. (secretly apologizes in hopes of getting off the no loot list and karma you knows).

Thanks for the hard work hope this system is the bombe!!

so far i dont like what i see.

But i need to give it a test before i can complain. :laugh:

Watch the reticule in the videos, it seems auto aiming behavior has changed. Need to actually use it to really know though.

What you mean ?
I can't see anything different.

And Atrox are not really good to see if hit boxes are not longer a problem.. Especially big ones like stalker.

Please MA, I want to see a video on Tsk-Tsk now. :wtg:
They are the worst I know ingame, the hit box on them is so poorly designed that they are barely huntable.. :banghead:

If you can hunt them whithout any problem, I'll start to think this new system is a revolution. :yay:

It will be necessary to test days to know with this new system if it is pleasant.
It is good that some people at MA have some ideas that are interesting even if it is completely beyond the subject of the request of the community.
I hope you have a good test before the launch for once.

Thanks for the detailed preview. We're all so used to how it is now, it's like asking a fish how the water is, but I am looking forward to trying out the setup. Videos show a much smoother set of interactions than the current system, which is clunky as hell.

Reminds me of the change - assuming to CryEngine - when it was 1st person only. As a dedicated 3rd person hunter I was bummed at first, but by the time the 3rd person view was restored I'd become a convert, and still do almost all of my hunting in 1st person.

As for dragging health bars - I'd be happy to be rid of it if we really won't need it anymore, but it seems like there are a lot of different scenarios where it's useful. I'll not pre-judge but it is a concern.

As for the 60 degree slope deal - please reconsider, just let our avatars slow-climb to 75-80 degrees.

Peace, Miles

I'd judge the mood of the Hunters of Entropia would like you to shoot 20 of every mob on every planet before you release this upon us.

Or dont release it until you have ironed out the inevitable glitches.

Thank you! :tiphat:

(I can probably cope with not being able to climb mountains anymore as I have vehicles and teleport chips at my disposal)

What you mean ?
I can't see anything different.

And Atrox are not really good to see if hit boxes are not longer a problem.. Especially big ones like stalker.

Notice how it aims only at the center of the mob.

Some answers

Hello again everyone!

I am actively following the discussion here, and I will try to answer as many questions as possible related to the new Camera and Control system. The team and I take this very seriously and will take all feedback under consideration.

For the "drag out status bar" removal I understand your concerns. It did create certain behaviors and other issues that are not working as intended. I can see where it can be a helpful tool, but right now it doesn't fit with the design and direction we want to take with Entropia Universe. This doesn't mean that there are not situations that we need to reevaluate, but the main goal is to imnplement a system where pulling status bars is not necessary. As stated in the announcement, one of our goals is to streamline the new system, and even though freedom is good with multiple ways of interacting with the game, it also put constraints on the development and the actual interaction.

In the current system, having your inventory open and in focus interferes with Tab and Backspace keys and doesn't let you use items or execute functions assigned to these two keys.

Tab will work to lock target even if you have a UI in focus.

I hope the indication for targets being in range is also visible in space when using a gun turret.

Yes it will.

Slope run speed penalty has been removed. Avatars cannot traverse slopes higher than 60 degrees.

Avatar run speed had too many variables and one of our goals is to speed up many aspects of avatar control. It felt like the avatar stuttered sometimes due to uneven terrain. For climbing I can understand that pushing yourself up a cliff was a bit fun but not for content when trying to create the world where we are not sure if the player can traverse or not. Future terrain changes will now have this in mind and it is easier for a player to know if they can/should follow a specific path or not. Climbing, jetpacks or tools are a better way of solving this in the future instead of avatars very slowly walking up steep hills.

I hope it will be same for the hard little mobs such as ripper snapper or other small ones that currently are hard or impossible to aim at.

I can assure you that you will notice a big improvement when hunting those creatures in the new system! So much easier and smoother. This actually applies to all creatures.

Also there should still be away to target targets manually if one wants to, is this removed in this version since mouse 1 automatically changes target???

It seems that this is a bit missunderstood. Yes you can still select a target manually. Depending on if you use Aim mode or Cursor mode. Tab will simply lock on the closest target or the target you directly aim at. This works for both Aim and Cursor mode. In cursor, left mouse button click will select and lock the target. If you want to do it the easy way for a quick and effortless grind, you should use F to enable all of it at once in Aim mode or Right mouse button in Cursor mode. You can still use the Use Tool action (or left mouse button) and even activate Auto-use as before.

Also in video 2 it seems @ 3:55 the F key autoloots all targets in your vicinity? How is the range on this, is it unlimited amount of mobs? R.I.P autoloot pills? An welcome change if it works this way.

No it does not auto loot all nearby targets. You still have to aim at the defeated creatue, or simply click it with right mouse button. This can now be done even though the avatar is shooting at something else and doesn't require you to wait for the reload to finish.

Does this fix the situation where you can select/target a mob that can't be hit due to an object, a hill, etc. and then you get dragged slowly towards the target? That's really annoying.

Yes this works much better now.

Does the camera still lock to a position when you Global or HoF? Let's be honest this is all that people care about.

There is now an option to disable zooming out to third-person after a Global or HoF.

And this automated autouse tool, hell I dont want autouse.

Consider you are mining and a left click starts autouse on finder, LOL at least MA makes a lot of money by constantly double and tripple probing the same spot.

That is not how it works so no need to worry. Left mouse or Use Tool still just uses the equipped tool once.

Being able to switch to scope with a keypress sounds especially good. If that saves me having to keep going in and out on the scroll wheel so much, my tendons (or what I have left of them) will thank you very much.

I agree and it will restore the zoom level last used, so it is easier to go in and out from Scoped mode. We still have an option for those that want to use the old way of scrolling from third to first-person and into scoped mode.

What about a Vehicle Inventory window? Currently, when you open one, you can't move. With the new changes, will it close on you if you are moving? Or will it behave like a storage container window and stay opened?

If it is from a spawned vehicle it will be removed when moving away from it, but if it is from inventory it will stay open even while moving.

You didn't say anything about the 'falling through floors' bug that people are experiencing in shops and apartments. I have placed a lot of faith on this new camera system and really am hoping that this bug will be handled with it. Is that the case? Will the new camera system take care of that issue?

That issue is unrelated to the camera changes. However, we are aware of this issue and are working on a solution.

I assume we will still have an icon/key for deactivating auto?

There is an option that cause F or right mouse button click on a target that you already activated this on will abort all. You can also simply press ESC to stop auto use and ESC again to deselect the locked target. Auto use can be enabled only also if you want that and is another action. I do think you will be suprised how much easier this will be to control than before.

I am presuming the auto use tool won’t be enabled in pvp? It would suck to be firing off 1 ped shots into the abyss of space for nothing! Or the cost of hitting nothing is changed to be the same as mob hunting planet side?

No it will not enabled in PvP for avatars, but still works the same way for creatures as in non-PvP.

PLEASE FIX THE HIT BOX OF ALL MOB!

This is fixed with the new select and lock target system.

Right, I use auto-tool and next target, it select the!closest!mob, end of story.
I hope we will still be able to do this, because real hunt is grinding.
Make the avatar rotating alot faster please.

Yes it will do this and there is a marker so you will actually see exactly what creature/target it will pick. The rotation is way faster and it's much more enjoyable.

Final note:
There will be a thread created on release day devoted to reporting any issues found by the community. Our team will do its best to resolve them as quick as possible.

Thanks for the great feedback!

like you to shoot 20 of every mob on every planet before you release this upon us.

Or dont release it until you have ironed out the inevitable glitches.

*cough* and space *cough*

*cough* and space *cough*

strepsils.jpg

I would particularly like to see the new system working with Diripi, Hiryuu, Rippersnapper and Gibnib.

I would particularly like to see the new system working with Diripi, Hiryuu, Rippersnapper and Gibnib.

Please add to that list:

Prancer, TskTsk, Tezlapods, Igni

The interaction system does look way more streamlined and the hitbox/turn to next target issues way better than before, judging by how the gun is following the selected target around even when in very long range.

Two points that might not work as intended:
1) In first person mode with a moving target selected, it seems almost impossible to click on a different one, as the camera moves around following the mob. With a smaller mob than Atrox Stalker... might not be fun.
2) Seeing the mob highlighted when in the distance does seem helpful, but seeing it flicker every time it is hit up close, especially when it is filling the whole screen... Not a fan. It can get tiring for the eyes really quick even just watching the videos in a day time hunt, and i do not know what effects all that flashing might have on people with photosensitive epilepsy.

P.S. Reserving opinion for the select issue for Fappers till i see how it will work, especially since you mentioned that select target won't work on avatars (unless i misread and that was only for PvP). Besides the ones that do fap as a profession, every player that uses fappers could be adversely affected, and a source of income and knowledge for new players will also vanish. That would be a step backwards IF the new system makes their lives harder/more complicated. We shall see.

TAB for next target.

I hope every shortcut will be customizable..

My fingers are glued to WASD, and my little finger is too short for TAB. :computer:

Anyway thanks, that's nice to see Adjusted Communication. :wtg:

We are just seeing something of how the new camera system will work. Please test it at least one more month before implementing it. We are worried that something so shocking will be released so quickly. :eyecrazy:

Status bars are absolutely necessary while taming, especially while taming multiple mobs. You need to keep track of all the taming parameters. Personally I also use status bars for hunting, for selecting which of the mobs eating your butt to target next. Really sad to loose this essential feature, but will adapt.

I'm curious about the left mouse button. It is used now to shoot your weapon at a mob. By the sounds of it (according to the text in the videos), it will in the future change target?! What's the default mouse button for shooting your weapon at the same mob?

i hope someone is dealing with the missing mouse clicks and non registering mouse functions . i notice this more and more . massively annoying to go to copy a link and find the last item still in the clipboard when you paste only to have to repeat the entire sequence again. and every frickn time. i know others have noticed this and i also made the file 13 support case. this kind of thing should never get past the beta stage. or maybe we are the beta stage?

my feed back

ok so there is nothing wrong with the current system that's been here 15 plus years ,

I sure as hell hope u are implementing this in away people who like the current system will not be affected by the new changes ,and can set it up to be very similler controls as it is now,

u invited 8 players seriously there are 100's even 1000's of players ,perhaps u should be adding a voting system in game for adding or major changes to the game platform that way u may actually please the majority of those who make this game what it is

I think instead of worrying about changing systems that work try focusing on systems that are currently unacceptable in game ,, ie like rockets using ammo on equipping first shot , chat bugs , among a list that is to long mention

Please ensure you have tested this correctly in space . With regards to mob hunting and pvp .
It is very important that you know the ramifications of these changes in space .
Mob hunting Atrox is kind of an easy test. Ideally I would like to see a video of space being properly tested with these changes.

Future terrain changes will now have this in mind and it is easier for a player to know if they can/should follow a specific path or not. Climbing, jetpacks or tools are a better way of solving this in the future instead of avatars very slowly walking up steep hills.

It is the 21st century after all! :tongue2:

Ok to be totally hones have not had time to read and absorb this fully.. but like many others the Health Bar issue raises some concerns

Planetside… How to be healer to a group when cannot display their health bars? Without this, Society and team hunting could simply die off, does MA seriously want to lose that income ?
We have many high level healers in game and I am damn sure they wont like this

Space.. when doing warps I have health bars of those in team with me showing, so gunners, nearby quad support etc
I also have the 4 health bars for the ship. Will I now be flying without that info.. how will we even repair skill if pilot cant have multiple health bars ?

Use of C and Z in flying already assigned for rotate left and right, in space combat these in combination with other keys are what gives some degree of realism, are we to lose this and go to a simple up down left right.. if so be prepared to see many quit in disgust (Pirates and non-pirates) Re-assign keys that have existing uses with care. Change leads to confusion, and in an RCE may lead to death, looting and financial loss. Which in turn may cause rage quits.. please please check things carefully.. and with more that 8 people.. seriously that is a statistically irrelevant number given the size and scope of this game. Odds are on they were all planetside hunters.. how many were miners, shop owners, space users ?

We can accept change where genuinely making improvement, but not when it is a retrograde step

Next target.. you say wont target people...what about vehicles...or has that been overlooked ?

Ok will read more later and see if I can find the plusses as well as the minusses

Use of C and Z in flying already assigned for rotate left and right, in space combat these in combination with other keys are what gives some degree of realism, are we to lose this and go to a simple up down left right.. if so be prepared to see many quit in disgust (Pirates and non-pirates) Re-assign keys that have existing uses with care. ...

Yes C and Z are already used in space situations .
Not wise to touch these .

Thanks for posting this Dennis, and also for answering so many questions about the new control system. I am looking forward to trying it out when you implement it :yup:

Back