Question: When will privateers get landing capabilities

schaefer13

Old Alpha
Society
D-A-CH-S
Armin Tarjan Arrakis
When Mindark introduced space, the motherships and the quad-wings it was a big disappointment for the hangar owners. They lost a lot with that move. Even the TT value and the oil of the old hangar space ship was lost (2500 peds in my case) and we got no compensation.

There have always been the promise, that the privateers will get landing capabilities. We are waiting since many years for that. And now we've got a location (Arkadia moon), that can't even be reached via privateer. All other ships can go there. So there is an urgent need for the landing capabilities right now.

So my question is: Will MA finally fulfill the promise of the landing capabilities?

Last edited:
We cannot definitively say whether any particular space feature will or will not be implemented in the future, and it was a mistake to have done so in the past. That being said, we will make every effort to implement previously announced features that fit with our current plans and priorities.

We cannot definitively say whether any particular space feature will or will not be implemented in the future, and it was a mistake to have done so in the past. That being said, we will make every effort to implement previously announced features that fit with our current plans and priorities.

Then pray tell us what your current plans and priorities are.... - that you are making every effort under that proviso is a bit underwhelming for us I feel.

Edit: better-phrased by San, below. A fuller answer after the AMA would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Thank you very much, this is a word we've been hoping to hear for a long time. If you could expound on some specifics as to which features announced in the past have a chance to make it and which not, ideally with a little background why not (in a write-up in the near future, not right here), then I am sure some of the thorniest issues could finally be laid to rest.

I suppose this logic can extend to many promises made in other aspects of the game as well. Does Mindark keep a record of all the things they have promised to players over the years?

And as such, how can we know for sure which things have mistakenly been promised and will more than likely never actually happen?

Answeres like that are pure craziness.. Id like to know exactly what they thing we have learned form an answer like that? Pretty much nothing other than maybe there have been "promises" made in the past they cannot/willnot keep!

Let me translate that for the concerned players:

Promises made in the past was by the 'old regime' at Mindark and the 'new regime' are under no obligation to uphold any said 'promises.' That as stated was a mistake by previous management to make such promises.

Basically, they have moved ahead and are working on other projects. ;)

Thank you Rose.

but why do YOU need to write it that way?

why cant Henrik come to the point?

the same vague and meaningless answers i have heard from Mindark like in the the past 16 years...

Exactly because of the vague answers that's the best they can do for obvious reasons, there should be NO roadmaps and we should find out about updates only in the release notes and not ahead with months which was a mistake previously, because instead on focusing on playing the game, people focus on keeping track of the broken promises and the delays of the delivery.

Exactly because of the vague answers that's the best they can do for obvious reasons, there should be NO roadmaps and we should find out about updates only in the release notes and not ahead with months which was a mistake previously, because instead on focusing on playing the game, people focus on keeping track of the broken promises and the delays of the delivery.

Well your primarily a hunter. If you had to go thru a tp to move to a mob, then go thru another tp to shoot it and then another tp to move to it to loot it and then rinse n repeat for every mob would you be complaining? Because that how it is for us in space! Jus sayin

P.S also I totally forgot to mention getting stuck in walls 50% of the time as well to make it more fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate this answer

Two things I took away from the answer.

1. Mindark ( current team) *admitted to being wrong* for what has been done. Might be a first in recorded history, don't sue me if i am wrong though.

2. They will in future not make the same mistake of providing false hope to players much in advance. Only when something reaches critical mass will they reveal the plans. Awesome. ( +Rep for this to them)

Last edited:
1. Mindark ( current team) apologized for what has been done. Might be a first in recorded history, don't sue me if i am wrong though.

That is stretching it quite a bit, I can agree that they admit they've done wrong by not living up to past promises, but I don't think it classifies it as an apology.

Now this is an apology. If only they didn't have pride to hold them back.

We're sorry for not being able to deliver on past promises. Our previous team have been too unrealistic in our development ideas and with time frames on implementing said ideas, and we were so hyped at the time about all the new changes that we were planning that we felt compelled to announce them.
Unfortunately we could simply not deliver because lack of planning/budget reasons.
That being said, our new team has learned from our past mistakes, so we cannot confirm or deny whether any particular space feature will or will not be implemented in the future[...]

But to each their own, just my two pecs.

Two things I took away from the answer.

1. Mindark ( current team) apologized for what has been done. Might be a first in recorded history, don't sue me if i am wrong though.

2. They will in future not make the same mistake of providing false hope to players much in advance. Only when something reaches critical mass will they reveal the plans. Awesome. ( +Rep for this to them)

Well ive played a lot of online games over the years. I even beta's ultima onlince since '96. everquest 1/2, WoW, Elder scrolls of my personal favourites. Of any game or product I've seen in my life the communication with MA has to be the worst BY FAR!

That being said until they get theyre shit in order and take care of some things like bugs and major issues I will always feel my investment in this game was complete waste and WILL NOT suggest it to my friends.. Hell im hard pressed to even admit I play the damn thing at this point!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the "answers" (at least the ones so far) MA officials have put forward. Concerning this (so called) "questions and answers" MA scheduled for today can be summed up as follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fub8PsNxBqI

The reason people hold them accountable for made promises is because many of these promises were part of previous sales. Everything would be easier if it is made sure to sell something with 100% of its features in place and not sell something before you have started thinking on how to develop it.
If you sell promises you have to sell them with a timeline and be transparent about it.

MA should pay attention to the view #'s on these questions. A very good indicatory of whos interested in what!

Thank you very much, this is a word we've been hoping to hear for a long time. If you could expound on some specifics as to which features announced in the past have a chance to make it and which not, ideally with a little background why not (in a write-up in the near future, not right here), then I am sure some of the thorniest issues could finally be laid to rest.

Yes, this. Could you please expand a little bit about which features are more likely to be implemented at least, versus left how they are? We would like a little bit better vision into the future of EU and which parts we should expect seeing change in first.

However MAJOR RESPECT FROM US FOR BEING HONEST THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO SEE MORE OF! Correcting the past mistakes is certainly something you seem to be working on, we see this, and acknowledge it. The key is going forward, make sure there is accuracy as people invested large amounts of money on these promises and now are questioning their investment!

They need utility value added to their investment retroactively in order to compensate and assuage their concerns about the utility value of their investment being less than advertised. This is very important!

As others have said, right now many in the players base DO NOT INTRODUCE EU TO THEIR FRIENDS OUT OF FEAR THAT THEY WILL DAMAGE THEIR REAL LIVES WITH AN INVESTMENT IN WHICH THEY WIND UP NOT REALLY GETTING WHAT THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD!
The costs coming down have fixed a lot, but utility value needs to be added to these things and fast, in order to build reassurance among the investment community.

The reason people hold them accountable for made promises is because many of these promises were part of previous sales. Everything would be easier if it is made sure to sell something with 100% of its features in place and not sell something before you have started thinking on how to develop it.
If you sell promises you have to sell them with a timeline and be transparent about it.

I agree 100% with that. No doubt about it. Sales are sales and they should be honored ASAP.
I was referring to roadmaps with various features that are not part of sales and that's making people stop playing and only waiting for promised goodies. We should know better, those are like politics, lies told during various campaigns :D

We should know better, those are like politics, lies told during various campaigns :D

I will disagree here. If we started thinking of MA as a bunch of politicians then I would not believe a single word they say and definitely not put a single penny into the game. I am sure i am not the only one either :)

...that they paid for.

Just adding those 4 very important words.

Rick

That is stretching it quite a bit, I can agree that they admit they've done wrong by not living up to past promises, but I don't think it classifies it as an apology.

Agreed. It is an admission of failure and not an apology. I have changed my post to reflect the same :)

What about putting some responsibility on the buyer? Don't buy vaporware. It reminds me of the people that buy stuff on Steam Early Access and then complain when the game never gets finished. That's a risk you decide to take when you buy something that isn't finished. Don't buy stuff on a promise, seems like common sense to me.

And FWIW, my company's sales people are constantly selling features we don't have yet. I think that's just how sales people work in general. :laugh:

And FWIW, my company's sales people are constantly selling features we don't have yet. I think that's just how sales people work in general. :laugh:

And if your company then would never deliver those features to people who paid for them, what would your customers do ? ;p

It makes sense to finance development by selling promises, but when you do you have to make 100% sure to not ruin your reputation with your customers along the way - meaning communication,transparency,customercare.

And if your company then would never deliver those features to people who paid for them, what would your customers do ? ;p

It makes sense to finance development by selling promises, but when you do you have to make 100% sure to not ruin your reputation with your customers along the way - meaning communication,transparency,customercare.

I agree with you, I'm just saying there's 2 sides to it. All investments have a measured risk. There's very low risk investments, like gold or bonds, and there's astronomically high risk investments like buying into undeveloped Entropia features. ;)

I will disagree here. If we started thinking of MA as a bunch of politicians then I would not believe a single word they say and definitely not put a single penny into the game. I am sure i am not the only one either :)

I was strictly referring to the old roadmaps :)
Like I said, I prefer to read about new things in release notes and not in roadmaps, it makes much more sense and it seems MA is on the same page too

I agree with you, I'm just saying there's 2 sides to it. All investments have a measured risk. There's very low risk investments, like gold or bonds, and there's astronomically high risk investments like buying into undeveloped Entropia features. ;)

ROFL!! I got a laugh from that one! But you are soo correct! =p

BEST quote in this thread ! :cool:

I didn't managed to post my question, and definitely one of them is how can you sell your products & services in advance, and takes years to implement them (I didn't said them failed or slack or weak).

I have been around awhile watching investments in entropia in a time when you could take it as guaranteed that anything you bought directly from mindark would go up in value over time and that mindark would ensure that this was the case - those where the times when players had the most trust and were readily willing to invest more and more money to get a piece of the 'cake' - over time this perception of mindark sales being like 'gold or bonds' has shifted to the current perception where they have a hard time of selling invisible armor, avatar statues or firebirds
and failing with compet deeds and deeptoken or even to complete ingame quests/missions where the item you obtain can only be sold for less then it did cost to make it because people expect that things will go down in value most likely.
It is very important for mindark to turn this perception around back to a new 'golden' age where the economy strives, the basis for which is to deliver what you promise and quickly and to be transparent about it and communicate about it regularly.

I have been around awhile watching investments in entropia in a time when you could take it as guaranteed that anything you bought directly from mindark would go up in value over time and that mindark would ensure that this was the case - those where the times when players had the most trust and were readily willing to invest more and more money to get a piece of the 'cake'

That's fair... I've only been around long enough to think anyone that "invests" big in this game is either mental or doesn't care about money. For me there was no trust to begin with. I can see how players like you would want to shake them by the collar.

That's fair... I've only been around long enough to think anyone that "invests" big in this game is either mental or doesn't care about money. For me there was no trust to begin with. I can see how players like you would want to shake them by the collar.

If I remember back to the time of the Caly deeds, it was something like 6 million dollars that MA took in exchange for deeds at 1k peds each. There was at least one very big investor buying who sold again something like a year later via MA and people queued ALL night in a huge line to be able to buy deeds at 1150 peds. It was quite something.
The deed price now is at 1.9-2.0k peds, from player to player, and even then the weekly payouts are quite reasonable. If you consider the original price of 1k, then those deeds continue to pay out at a very good rate indeed.
The Arkadia underground deeds were originally 50 peds each and also have their fans at currently 50% higher price or so.

However, MA's annual 'deal' around Xmas time became steadily less sought after and we have had a whole string of so far disappointing opportunities, such as stables and land plots, as well.

I don't know how privateers getting landing capabilities would help much as an advantage - it would only remove the disadvantage of not being able to leave space without visiting a space station. Privateer flyers cannot even get to Arkadia moon directly as it is right now, so things do need reworking.

But the same can be said for any of the dead-end / broken-off paths which MA need to give some priority to. It really doesn't have to be complete overhauls, as others have said on the stables threads, for example. It just needs to be 'adjustments' for better viability! (and hopefully further development in the fullness of time).

Back