Shadowfire's second question: What about dead parts of the game?

Psynergy

Provider
Shadowfire Hottygurl Of The Phoenix
What do you plan to do with dead parts of the game, as every newcomer I train asks me the same things and laughs at you...they stay through having faith that hopefully this AMA will restore.

We have SI which is buggy/broken and needs development help, which is in the interest of the platform.

FOMA is abandoned and it used to be a fucking beautiful place that needs to be fixed.

Large swaths of planet calypso lack any mobs to hunt or anything to find, and many mobs that used to exist, including iron challenge mobs, do not have known effective spawns of good density, especially since many relied on land areas.

Planet partner economies have been flattened by Calypso Favoritism, which was promised would come to an end.

Shops are dead and losing value instead of expanding in market volume because you refuse to allow them to list their contents on the auction for a heavily reduced fee/increased duration. Just have item pickup happen at that store.

Whenever a part of this game goes dead even for a short amount of time there needs to be a contingency plan, within this calendar year what changes are going to be made that will effectively deal with dead parts of this game including FOMA, Calypso mobs lacking in wide swaths and maturities, ?

They should not be trimmed, they should be updated and players encouraged to spread out to find rare loot that isn't over-flooded on Calypso. Mining should not be used as an excuse for idle management of land, and the game should not have parts being allowed to lower in quality standards just because a human stops playing, or this entire game is liable to stagnate.

There are many aspects of Entropia Universe that we would like to improve. The issue, as for any company or project, is to decide how best to prioritize those improvements.

We feel that it makes sense to focus on improvements that benefit the largest number of participants, which can also be implemented within a reasonable timeframe. One good example of that is the Camera & Control system, which is in the late stages of development and will be released soon.

We have also been focused more generally on improving client and server stability, and have made lots of progress in this area.

Rather than discussing plans for specific features or future systems in this AMA, our team believes it is better to save such announcements for times when we are certain that the specific system will be implemented, and we have more concrete info to share, as we did recently with the Camera & Control system.

There are many aspects of Entropia Universe that we would like to improve. The issue, as for any company or project, is to decide how best to prioritize those improvements.

We feel that it makes sense to focus on improvements that benefit the largest number of participants, which can also be implemented within a reasonable timeframe. One good example of that is the Camera & Control system, which is in the late stages of development and will be released soon.

We have also been focused more generally on improving client and server stability, and have made lots of progress in this area.

Rather than discussing plans for specific features or future systems in this AMA, our team believes it is better to save such announcements for times when we are certain that the specific system will be implemented, and we have more concrete info to share, as we did recently with the Camera & Control system.

Very much appreciate the response. I have myself experienced a much better client and server stability and appreciate the work that went behind getting it done.

Suggestion : What aspect of EU you are currently working on seems like an opinion that is formed via discussion within the team on what and how to improve it. Something like a voting booth implementation or a voting system implementation in EU would change "opinion" to "more factual data" based on what the majority of EU players need/want. There is no denying that majority needs to be catered to first and this would help understand the current nerve/pain points of the players.

Thank you for your directness in this but seriously why the hell not be upfront about it? Like before AMA start. Be specific and upfront on what type of questions will be answered.

Saving everyone a shit ton of time, including yourselves.

False hope is the worst thing you guys can give, it destroys trust, not to mention creates unnecessary frustration.

It's good that you have learned from your mistakes though, don't make promises you can't keep. So kudos for that.

Last edited:

Like prioritizing Compet and DeepToken above the core game?

This is why we're after more transparency, so 'improvements' can get feedback before resources are directed towards them.

Very much appreciate the response. I have myself experienced a much better client and server stability and appreciate the work that went behind getting it done.

Suggestion : What aspect of EU you are currently working on seems like an opinion that is formed via discussion within the team on what and how to improve it. Something like a voting booth implementation or a voting system implementation in EU would change "opinion" to "more factual data" based on what the majority of EU players need/want. There is no denying that majority needs to be catered to first and this would help understand the current nerve/pain points of the players.

I strongly agree that we need a voting system, everyone's faith in the company was shaken when we saw all the Deeptoken and Compets distractions come up, however seeing us return back to the path of EU being the focus has brought some of that back.
However, we need to make sure that these incoming changes are player chosen and driven. As such any hope for this voting system, and for it to perhaps be implemented on a quarterly system where updates get implemented in a known time frame?

Thank you for your directness in this but seriously why the hell not be upfront about it? Like before AMA start. Be specific and upfront on what type of questions will be answered.

Saving everyone a shit ton of time, including yourselves.

False hope is the worst thing you guys can give, it destroys trust, not to mention creates unnecessary frustration.

It's good that you have learned from your mistakes though, don't make promises you can't keep. So kudos for that.

I strongly agree, it feels like there is very little detail being shared. There was a lot of opportunity when answering this to explain a little about what you exactly plan on doing about this problem instead of side-stepping it.
To re-ask, what do you plan on doing it?

Do you have a plan on how to go around planet partners and property purchasers that do not maintain their investment? We currently pay for this and suffer for this.

Like prioritizing Compet and DeepToken above the core game?

This is why we're after more transparency, so 'improvements' can get feedback before resources are directed towards them.

And agreed. Major kudos for knowing not to give us false hope deadlines, but we have NO feedback we get to put in before we see things done. We see the company take off on tangents, we see features that we had no choice in their implementation until they were already almost done.

How do you plan on restoring faith that you keep a two way open dialog with us that gives us an accurate idea of what you are ACTUALLY doing? We know you have staff, but have no idea what systems are even in progress to be improved.

We have no way to contribute feedback that is focused to assist in this, and this post sums it up well: we would like more transparency and control.

Agreed. However, Would it not make sense to make the voting system a priority so that the participants could help you determine how to prioritize those improvements based on what the majority of paying customers actually want?

I might also add one thing.

A lot of things could be solved in the short term by simply increasing native mob spawn rate on relatively quiet places that are not occupied by a land area, just increase spawn density of native spawns over wider areas.

Economy of change here is large, if you simply plop some beginner mobs like Snabble and such down that are reachable easily, instead there are only like...1-2 good spawns an hour or two travel in the game.
Space could also have a few extra spawns near planets dropped down, and see some nice improvements on mob availability, too.

I do thank you for your work and agree though, that priorities have to exist, and I do like how you have been working since the new leadership change. EU feels alive again, it's becoming great again!

Agreed. However, Would it not make sense to make the voting system a priority so that the participants could help you determine how to prioritize those improvements based on what the majority of paying customers actually want?

Agreed completely, unfortunately they seem to only focus on what they think is best and prioritize accordingly, and that seems to not always go their way based on their history. If they started to actually listening to their playerbase and asks what we think is best to implement and prioritize, game would be overall more fun to play for all, it may even grow.

Heck a simple voting system in-game which they could list certain amount of things that are currently in the pipeline, which us the players could vote on, so they get an idea of how many actually wants said features, and they can then adjust their priorities based on that...

I honestly can't comprehend that they don't seem to get such a simple thing.

We feel that it makes sense to focus on improvements that benefit the largest number of participants, which can also be implemented within a reasonable timeframe.

I dont know how to put it but for me it seems like a huge leap for everybody to improve the market accesibility of the content of all shops and shopkeepers. The estate cities could be local social and trading hubs. And I really cant look in the mirror and see any requests for the updates to the camera systems. But for over a decade estate owners and people in general have been wondering why on earth it is so hard to revive the cities with estates and make shops alive again.

The clashing between the early social visions of Entropia and todays ultra PED-alistic reality shouldnt be to hard to combine. If you wanted and believed that social beings in a social environment also are happy consumers you would focus much more on the vast content on the universe that now are dead. Anyone who knows anything about a good story knows that content that that adds nothing to the story will eventually make the story a really bad story.

If you pass by a dead city with dead shops you get depressed.
If you pass by a dead land area you get depressed.
If you visit a dead planet you get depressed.

This is poisoneous for old and new players but detrimental for your company, I believe.

I really hope you can shift your focus to adress this issue which is universe wide.

And I really do hope I one day can visit a city with huge sky scrapers and not finding only an afk player at a crafting machine.

I dont know how to put it but for me it seems like a huge leap for everybody to improve the market accesibility of the content of all shops and shopkeepers. The estate cities could be local social and trading hubs. And I really cant look in the mirror and see any requests for the updates to the camera systems. But for over a decade estate owners and people in general have been wondering why on earth it is so hard to revive the cities with estates and make shops alive again.

The clashing between the early social visions of Entropia and todays ultra PED-alistic reality shouldnt be to hard to combine. If you wanted and believed that social beings in a social environment also are happy consumers you would focus much more on the vast content on the universe that now are dead. Anyone who knows anything about a good story knows that content that that adds nothing to the story will eventually make the story a really bad story.

If you pass by a dead city with dead shops you get depressed.
If you pass by a dead land area you get depressed.
If you visit a dead planet you get depressed.

This is poisoneous for old and new players but detrimental for your company, I believe.

I really hope you can shift your focus to adress this issue which is universe wide.

And I really do hope I one day can visit a city with huge sky scrapers and not finding only an afk player at a crafting machine.

I totally agree with you on this and am surprised nobody mentioned the dead cities really as a main thread question for the AMA. Estates and shops in places like Omegaton, Sakura, Cape Corinth, and so many more, suffer from the lack of development in the cities they are located in. In essence, these locations are ghost towns with no draw to make a player want to come, and in turn not even realize that things such as shops or other estates are even there without looking through external sources like forums, websites, and by forced excessive spamming ads in chats just to point out something exists in a wasteland. This has in turn, created many dead shops, more than half in each location, because players give up and have no support to draw players to the city at all. The same can be said for the other estates in these cities. This further adds to the wasteland and makes the game feel dead, alpha state and sad when players pass by these cities, especially new players. This has been like this for the entire 10 years I've been playing. The changes to make these ghost cities into something special shouldn't be so hard, as it has been done very well and many times in a large number of other games. I listed below some ideas that could maybe help, I'm sure others can think of something better, but these are just some ideas I came up with.

• At random, creatures/robots attack different cities (Omegaton, Amethera H.Q, etc) and players get alerted in chat to come defend and get a reward. Similar to the fort defending that came somewhat recently.
  • Host weekly events in a different city each week that offers something unique. Such as racing, fashion events, find the hidden cache of loot and more.
  • Daily quests that require players to visit each city to collect a resource there or hunt X number of the weekly special mobs that could attack a city (Per first suggestion).
  • Add an NPC with missions at the cities, so people have another reason to visit. Perhaps even make it so that the
    NPC's are only in each city for a limited time with a timed mission.

I can go on and on with suggestions, but the point is that at the moment, no reason for most to visit these places, unless your in the know and there is no life in these cities almost ever and I barley see more than 3 people at a time, if any, in those locations usually. And this hurts the economy for everyone involved with these cities in terms of being able to purchase items, estate owners, and simply allowing more PEDs to flow between players. And quit frankly these cities are a waste of server space in there current state. If changes such as the ones listed above were implemented, the shops in these areas would do so much better, the apartments would get visited, and the estates would actually be worth the prices people are paying for them. Not only that, but everyone would have a nice place to finally visit where they could actually have fun doing activities and be able to see other living players to socialize, the way a city should be. Of course there are also issues with the floors,walls,falling floors and more for the buildings and estates in these cities, which is the other half of the problem that makes players not want to come to visit either. I honestly believe if something was finally done with the cities, which make up a large portion of the planets, that this game will be taking a step in the right direction and finally see growth in the player base, and appreciation from many who have been waiting.

yep, there's a lot more that could be done with cities...

I tried to do some threads to figure out some things with estates, but gave up since it's so time consuming, and boring..

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...notes-thread&p=3550347&viewfull=1#post3550347

I think Monria now has a similar list that MS9 keeps updated.

Lots of places on Calypso never left the estate broker's hands yet, or never even got in to his hands yet since estate terminals still throw up error messages in some locations... all despite the 2007 Q&A promise...

Post 221
Will there be more shops available at places like Genesis, Omegaton, Sakura?
Submitted by Violet

Yes.

There's actually a LOT of stuff in that old Q&A, and the other years' Q&As that Mindark could use as a guideline going forward since some of the stuff from back then still never got implemented yet as of today...

Remember the old 2009 and older factory idea?

- Several years ago you mentioned factories…

- Yes, that is one example of a job. Factories are still being considered. It would leave room for jobs, and at the same time it would be another big business possibility. Right now land-areas are pretty much the highest you can get in the terms of in-game business. A factory would be great, because it would combine the layers of players. Newcomers should need veterans and veterans should need newcomers, he explains enthusiastically.

- One idea for the factories is machines that allocate resources and workers that allocate time. Workers get skill-points for working there without using their own money on resources, while the factory owner gets the items and perhaps a skill-percentage. It's a win-win situation for both groups.

Bringing people together and creating a closer knit community is close to heart for Marco and the FPC group.

- The internet platform brings all kind of people together, with different play-styles and interests. We wish to make activities that create synergies between the different groups. The mid-level players seem to always be forgotten, I know, but we want to make sure that does not happen.

It’s not just the community itself that will undergo changes in terms of needing each other. First Planet Company will be working together with the community to create some of the new content.

- Of course, some things need to stay secret –largely because of the real cash economy. But we do want to build Calypso together with the community, just like new colonists located in a new world.

After the destruction of Hadesheim, and the removing of the Minopolis buildings, there is no large metropolis on Calypso anymore.

- That’s one of the things we want to create together with the community. We want to make people feel like they were there, they were a part of it, and they helped build it. To create a dynamic interactive storyline around it, like episodes during a season seen on TV series. An episode can be called “The creation of the Genesis Corporate City” and it involves events, quests, missions, jobs, and business opportunities in order to get the city in order and the outcome will be determined by how the player community acts and interacts. If the events and missions and investments aren't done, maybe the Genesis City will be smaller or less developed, while if the tasks are carried out successfully the City will be grand and offer special services to the players. Things like that.​

Last edited:
If it was me I'd remove all the cities and instead just have one big thriving city that housed all the shops, booths, apartments, square, n00b start, etc - that would be the coolest city ever. Everyone would pool there instead of being spread out all over the place. Imagine the community. :cool:

yep, there's a lot more that could be done with cities...

I tried to do some threads to figure out some things with estates, but gave up since it's so time consuming, and boring..

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...notes-thread&p=3550347&viewfull=1#post3550347

I think Monria now has a similar list that MS9 keeps updated.

Lots of places on Calypso never left the estate broker's hands yet, or never even got in to his hands yet since estate terminals still throw up error messages in some locations... all despite the 2007 Q&A promise...

There's actually a LOT of stuff in that old Q&A, and the other years' Q&As that Mindark could use as a guideline going forward since some of the stuff from back then still never got implemented yet as of today...

Remember the old 2009 and older factory idea?

If they implemented that, it would be pretty bad ass. They had also promised/hinted at implementing other things in the past that I think many would think could be great additions. Below I will try to expand on them, on what you had written, and come up with some ideas. Maybe others think they are good ideas or can come up with better ideas from my brain storming.

Dynamic Cities - The quote that you posted MasterMesh, about how they wanted cities to evolve dynamically with the player base sounded awesome. It could maybe work similar to how planet Cyrene has been making there map dynamic. It definitely will keep things going and looking somewhat fresh.

Factories - Allow players to own stocks/shares of them or put them in auction for players to bid on. Have it operate similar to how dungeons on Rocktropia are functioning. The owner will have the blueprint that crafts an employee card. Players can buy this from the owner to get work from the factories. This work is essentially a daily mission that asks to get X materials. The end reward can be items that are based on the industry that factory is focused on. They can make it so each factory in different cities create there own category of items to offer something unique in each location.

Hospitals - The revive terminals can be placed here. This can also be a location for where healers can wait for customers and provide an additional way to promote their services. There could be the main room, where there are ad signs all over showing the healers available. These ad sign will get screened to make sure to only advertise healing services. Make it so the ad signs have two options. First, to operate like normal, but with smaller fee since its for healing only, and the healers can be in any location. The second option in the ad sign could be to allow free advertising, so long as the healer remains in the building. Soon as the player exits the hospital, logs off, or goes afk, the ad sign turns off. These ad signs could be made to only operate two hours at a time in order to give others a chance to promote. This would really help free up space in the chat windows in my mind, as people will also be able to find help quick in the hospitals.

Ingame Companies - There are various ingame companies that at one point seemed would have there own buildings in cities. Companies such as Genesis Star, Chikara Corporation, Omegaton Industries, Ashley&Perrin, and a few others. It would be cool to see for sure, This could be a source of missions. The company buildings could be located in the cities that seem related to them. You could also make it unique with special missions to draw players to the factions. Players can be asked to choose a side from all the factions and then have a PvP component where players from different companies must fight each other for missions.

Real Companies - In the past there were several real life companies that opened up estates in various cities throughout Calypso. This would be so amazing if we can have this happen again from time to time, even if temporary. At the moment there are still a very small handful of real life company buildings ingame in some cities. Three of them are in Athena Spaceport. The real life company buildings located there are Hub Culture, Planet Employability, and Empaticus. There was another estate owned by a real life bank, but I can't recall where it is. But the ones that do remain serve no purpose. The ones that had been removed, such as New Oxford Academy of Fine Arts, Vexed Generations, and Xfire, hosted/sold art paintings, clothing, banking, and more. A really good collaboration with some current companies could bring something good to both parties, such as when they partnered with the TV show "The Truth About Marika" and the "Cyber Recreation District". Though the later did not happen due to unfortunate event.

Fishing Docks - With a fishing system in place, certain coastal cities can have docks added to them that have an NPC on a boat with daily quests for fishing. The fish can be consumables that give buffs, smaller fish reused as bait, and be ingredients for crafting new items in this new profession. Perhaps also have a chance to fish up junk (very low TT limited items) and rare chance to loot an epic fish (maybe tamable?). Can also make it so fishing can be done off of boats, this will boost the vehicle economy too I think, along with crafting for things like fishing poles, bait, clothing, etc.

Recreation Center - This can be a place where people do small and fun things for free. There could be a table with chess, connect four, card games, arm wrestle, or something else. A pool, so players can have parties in or do what they want. And an auditorium, where MA or players can speak about topics.

Club/Free space - This could be a place where people relax, throw parties, host fashion contest/catwalk, host temporary art galleries, and more.

Voting booths - With a political system, MA can put the top ideas they want to work on to vote. Then players can vote on the top 3 to let the company know what players really want worked on. Other things could also be voted on such as president, community leaders, etc.

Stock Exchange - I've seen some pictures of it from the old days when it was ingame. Can maybe add the Factories, Faction Companies, Stables, Banks, Malls, Shops, LA, and more to this if re implemented. Then players can buy stocks and profit or lose based on how those they chose perform.

Pet Battle Octagons - A place where we can battle our pets for PED. While we have some buildings in certain places that looks like it was once intended for this purpose, it is not currently functioning as such. This would be really fun. MA gave us preview pictures of this a while back, so maybe we will indeed see it one day.

Land Plot Cities - The towns that the CLD owners got are pretty barren. I'm sure its the same situation with the Arkadia and Rocktropia land plots. These locations can be made better with the addition of some of the ideas in this post, but I think it may need something more. Maybe adding more functionality to gardens would help and adding some sort of quest that requires you to consume fruit grown from each city location or something.

Hangers - Though not in cities. I feel it can be integrated somehow with it all and should really serve some function unlike it current state. One idea I had was to make is so the only way to upgrade spaceship SI is by landing it in a hanger and accessing a mechanic NPC there. And fixing the hanger door to allow it to open and close would be great too.

Other - While these also are not in cities, I feel these places could use an update to make them more fun. Castles could maybe have PvP events to siege them. Oil Rigs can occasional giant monster spawns, like King Kong style. Places such as the "Nymphtown Water Supply" and "Sissipahaw Water Treatment Plant" should gain functionality. Maybe adding it to the main storyline somehow, with a mission. Some older locations that were removed from the game should make a return, but with updates and more functionality. Locations such as the Umbranoid Villages, Thorio Temple, and the Giant tower that was once south of Pandora.

I honestly could go on and on with ideas, but it is not in my hands. The hope is that at least something will eventually get done. Maybe MA will even like some ideas from here or more will get into it and it can become realities. If anyone else has ideas, please post it.

If it was me I'd remove all the cities and instead just have one big thriving city that housed all the shops, booths, apartments, square, n00b start, etc - that would be the coolest city ever. Everyone would pool there instead of being spread out all over the place. Imagine the community. :cool:

I thought about that before too, and it is not a bad idea. However, I could imagine that then the rest of the planet would feel even more dead. In my opinion, this one city idea would only work well if there was a smaller player base and only one planet in the game. But I can see why this idea would be good too, it literally forces everyone together.

Oh yeah, I mean you could have one city per planet - that would work.

Personally I think there's too much open space now anyway, but if you concentrated at the city people would just explore outwards as they played the game more whilst still having that busy city to go back to when they needed/wanted it.

That was the biggest thing that got me hooked on EU - the dense crowd of people to create that initial community and people you clicked with, then go out exploring as a society with the more experienced players taking the lead and teaching you the ways of the world (yes, I'm talking about you Tomorrow Troops! :yay:).......loved it..........

Back