Support of linux/mac.

Society
NBK Army
Hans Penguin Black
Some persons prefer to play eu from their linux/mac computers, using wine compatibility layer (literally win32/directx emulator), and it generally works.

We'd like to see linux as (minimally) supported platform -- just treat "wine" as "one more windows version", allowing us to officially report bugs (if any), and expecting minimal viability of game on this platform (at least basic activities playable on low/safe modes). I believe that it will be inexpensive step in right direction (all already works, but needs a little care to keep it in this state).

Each time when I depo, I am affraid if I'll be unable to log in after next Tuesday. In case if something goes wrong after VU, I'd like to expect some more creative and collaborative for crash reports, than "linux not supported, go away".

Could you please tell your future plans about that (if any)?

Right now we are not planning to support any additional platforms other than Windows.

This of course may change in the future depending on market trends, shifts in consumer electronics, etc.

the general view of linux users is highly unpopular. i share that attitude. i'm for the open source thing. i believe in privacy and that's why i hate facebook. i'm all for freedom and truth. but let me tell you something. most people could care less about personal freedom. they actually hate truth seekers.

in my opinion, there is no honor in being the same as the sheeple. to that i commend the OP. but to MA I must say this is the creative community, the one group you shouldn't shun. be with us not with the sheeple herders. and please take facebook out of the client loader at the very least.

@Aloisius

Well, I won't trade about open vs close, or "free as free lunch" vs "free as TANSTAAFL" ;)
I am definitely very right in my political views, and always for free trades and property rights.

@Dennis|Mindark

Thank you for response

Would be nice, if you just pull us out from grey zone.
We won't ask you for "real native linux port" (although it always welcomed), but just some unofficial support would be very welcomed. (look like CCP aka "EVE online" treat linux, as an example, they not provide any guarantees, but they very operative fix "not-launch-at-all" cases for non-windows users).

Right now we are not planning to support any additional platforms other than Windows.

This of course may change in the future depending on market trends, shifts in consumer electronics, etc.

Does this mean an update to the Virtual Tycoon app is out of the question?

Does this mean an update to the Virtual Tycoon app is out of the question?

Definitely was out of my original question, is about possibility (and mainly legality, because it already works) of running normal client EU under wine in linux/mac, not about Android's "virtual tycoon".

...well let's hope MA will reconsider and change their current stance, as of now I'm sharing OP's views regarding willingness to deposit etc...

As a game dev, i fully understand MA, that they only suport Windows.
It is a pain, to take care about all the platforms, and make it working in one game.

For consols you need to support gamepad controlls.
For mobile, you need other shaders/materials, and change other things, so it run on mobile.
Then mobile Android is different to mobile IOS.
Compile it for Linux is no need, about not a lot ppl use Linux, except to build Servers.

Ppl just forget some time, that this is causing a lot of work, to make it usable on every platform, and always make all the updates too, so it run on future OS versions.

I work with Unreal engine, and this engine realy support all of the platforms, inclouding VR AR etc.
But also there, if you plan to make a game, running on all platforms, then you need to take care to all the things, and you cant use the highest window shaders, about they dont run in VR or Mobile. A lot of developing would only be about all the platforms.

Reactions: San
Is there a reason, why using Win7 longer?

Yes, but discussing it here will be another exercise in utter futility. Nobody is going to win over anyone from the other camp.

I merely pointed out above that there is a greater potential for protest than last time, which constitutes a trend, which they said they might take into consideration.

So all this changes to camera and UI are not for VR/Console Platform made? Do you think we do not have a brain? All this new camera system, placing of windows etc. is developed to make this game work on a console or VR system because the controls/UI you are forcing on us is not really usable for Keyboard/Mouse interface. It is here to create motion sickness on your Computer users.

I'm not interested in buying Windows just to run some particular game. Of course I'm not interested in buying Windows for any other reason either, but with games it's just so darned easy to find some that work on Linux... usually better than they work on Windows :laugh:
But what do I know, I'm only a former depositor with a spend-on-fun playstyle :rolleyes:

At another tangent though, I have to say, running on Debian Stable Linux with the latest always-up-to-date version of Wine-Staging, there are only two ways in which Entropia's performance falls short of its Windows 10 example:
(1) Needs about 2G more ram which is eaten by the emulator (nothing we can do about that);
(2) Waypoints in chat all appear as unclickable [], no numbers shown (the fault of Wine, and there is probably an obscure setting that can fix it which I've not yet discovered... I've offered to become an AppDB maintainer for Entropia on Wine, in which case I can send an appropriate suggestion the appropriate direction shortly after I update the introductory summary text about the game).
:beerchug: Cheers mates

[PS] As mentioned in the post directly above this one, vu16's purpose is quite transparent (to move to VR, console, or possibly just phone in the recent footsteps of several more-successful games). Don't worry, I'm not any more likely to switch to those technologies than I am to buy Windows just for a game - gaming over a phone is just not comfortable nor immersive enough to satisfy, and the other two have even less to motivate me to move from the crisp immersion and ease of control that a computer can offer. Nothing against those who do, just please leave enough handy features in the game that it's decent on a computer!

[PPS to Hans b/c I can't +rep him anymore just yet] Android's OS is a fairly ordinary branch of Linux.

Last edited:
At another tangent though, I have to say, running on Debian Stable Linux with the latest always-up-to-date version of Wine-Staging, there are only two ways in which Entropia's performance falls short of its Windows 10 example:
(1) Needs about 2G more ram which is eaten by the emulator (nothing we can do about that);
(2) Waypoints in chat all appear as unclickable [], no numbers shown (the fault of Wine, and there is probably an obscure setting that can fix it which I've not yet discovered... I've offered to become an AppDB maintainer for Entropia on Wine, in which case I can send an appropriate suggestion the appropriate direction shortly after I update the introductory summary text about the game).
:beerchug: Cheers mates
3) The in-game screenshot isn't working, produces only a black picture. I'd tag this as "won't fix" though since the print screen key is captured by the OS anyway (at least in my distro) and does the same thing, although I get a file save dialog and have to enter a name. But this should be easy to automate if someone hasn't done it already and published another plugin (haven't searched for one yet).

Another thing in context, I installed the whole shebang via PlayOnLinux and upon choosing Entropia I got wine-staging 2.13, not the latest version. Before spending time investigating, can someone say quickly whether it's worth pursuing?

Back