Rule 4.1 - Third Party Images

Killahbee

Marauder
Society
illuminox
Killahbee Killer Bee Killahbee
Why do we have an option to attach images from URL when only those from the official forum gallery are accepted?

My recent added pictures tot a post have been deleted.. the suggestion was to download them and add them to the gallery.

Why?????:scratch2: this is 2019 and it takes longer tot add a picture than to shower IRL :wtg:

Have to agree here.
I frequent other forums where I literally just have to drag an image onto my post to upload it , do one click to add image to my post and thats it.
Problem is of course to change forum type means importing everything into the new system.

Not to mention the absolute waste of storage with the same image over and over and over again stored in multiple locations on the web....

Storage is like water.... we will run out of it...

It's way past time to allow images from sources such as Reddit, imgur, etc. Years passed due.

Thanks to this rule we can still see the old pictures. Most of them would be long gone if they were stored somewhere else and embedded here.

Btw it's not against rules to post links to external images as long as you don't embed them.

I have to assume this rule is more about the economics of the site. Storage is much cheaper than bandwidth for a website so the more internal images you use, the cheaper it becomes. :wise:

I have to assume this rule is more about the economics of the site. Storage is much cheaper than bandwidth for a website so the more internal images you use, the cheaper it becomes. :wise:

Clearly you have no idea how images are rendered... its nothing to do with hosting and all to do with the user...

It's the opposite, really. Storing images within your site costs you bandwidth on serving them.

Ancient website ancient system. However one can argue it keeps us a bit safer like from unsafe links for pictures, from viruses and stuff. However it would be nice if well known sites could be used, as far as I know imgur.com doesn't ever expire pictures?

The rule prohibiting third-party images exists to prevent broken image links on the forum, which would make many threads unintelligible, since the context of the discussion would disappear if the image link becomes invalid.

Ever notice that PCF, unlike the vast majority of internet forums, has virtually zero broken images in its thread discussions?

For those wanting drag & drop image uploading functionality: you have that already in your user album.

For those wanting drag & drop image uploading functionality: you have that already in your user album.

No offense, but that closely resembles an MA AMA response.

Most forums I use allow uploading directly to the post you are typing, not in a second tab or window and requiring multiple steps and copying links when done.

Back