Suggestion: Please implement gap closers

Detritus

Sel-requested Deactivation
Detritus the Troll
I love melee but there's some issues that prevent it from being a primary skill. The biggest complaint (no UA burn) you are somewhat addressing with the newer weapons (though a lot of ppl would still like attachments for the existing ones); but the other big problem with melee is the lack of gap closer, which forces you to use a tagger if you don't want to/can't rush into a group of mobs. Another situation is e.g. the warehouse instances where some of the mobs are actually inaccessible for melee, and you must use a ranged weapon.

I'd like a MF chip that would pull a mob to you. Make it lore-friendly by having it be some sort of anti-gravity puller or something. But basically something I can target a mob at range and pull it to me.

Last edited:
If you choose to hunt with melee then this "problem" is entirely of your own making. If you want to have range, used ranged weapons. You can't choose to have the advantages of one and then complain about the disadvantages. Melee users have been doing this for years, though this is the first time I've heard anyone ask for melee weapons to have a ranged attack, which is beyond ridiculous.

Barringer + Melee = win

Been using First Gen Electric VII for years , as a tagger and ranged attack then finish with powerfist.

Many use Combustive chips which most have decent range.

I love melee but there's some issues that prevent it from being a primary skill. The biggest complaint (no UA burn) you are somewhat addressing with the newer weapons (though a lot of ppl would still like attachments for the existing ones); but the other big problem with melee is the lack of gap closer, which forces you to use a tagger if you don't want to/can't rush into a group of mobs. Another situation is e.g. the warehouse instances where some of the mobs are actually inaccessible for melee, and you must use a ranged weapon.

I'd like a MF chip that would pull a mob to you. Make it lore-friendly by having it be some sort of anti-gravity puller or something. But basically something I can target a mob at range and pull it to me.

Yes, they should make blades throw able!!

But don't forget to pick it back up once you threw it.

I for one would like to see mechanics like this implemented (Short dash, pull mobs etc..). The argument that certain items have an advantage over another or that "its always been like this and should be like this forever" can and has been made for every single item introduction ever. I dont get why almost every single idea or balance change is instantly shut down for the sole reason of "thats just how the game is deal with it"

MF amps, vehicles, new high dps items, new high efficiency items, melee weapons with ammo burn, rings, buffs, pills. There has been a ton of mechanic and balance introductions done.

Why is buffs to these "inferior" weapon classes so unwelcome?

What if in addition to pull mechanics there is also push mechanics implemented (which would benefit ranged users), does this idea still seem as outrageous?

If you choose to hunt with melee then this "problem" is entirely of your own making. If you want to have range, used ranged weapons. You can't choose to have the advantages of one and then complain about the disadvantages. Melee users have been doing this for years, though this is the first time I've heard anyone ask for melee weapons to have a ranged attack, which is beyond ridiculous.

I'm not asking for a ranged attack, I'm asking for a gap closer. I'm sorry you don't understand it, but it's not "beyond ridiculous" - it's a common mechanic in most MMOs. I've even seen ranged builds utilize them to some degree.

Barringer + Melee = win

Been using First Gen Electric VII for years , as a tagger and ranged attack then finish with powerfist.

Many use Combustive chips which most have decent range.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for tips on what to use as a tagger. The point is to not have to use a tagger or early damager. Imagine, for example, a weapon attachment that gave you an action that you could map to a key that would instantly pull the mob to you. Either some gravity beam thing, or a big metal claw on a chain or something. Now I can use melee as my main and I don't even need to weapon swap.

I can see it's not welcome here, so never mind.

Last edited:
The point is to not have to use a tagger or early damager. Imagine, for example, a weapon attachment that gave you an action that you could map to a key that would instantly pull the mob to you. Either some gravity beam thing, or a big metal claw on a chain or something. Now I can use melee as my main and I don't even need to weapon swap.

I can see it's not welcome here, so never mind.

I'm all for it if it would be a Mindforce power.
And as Mathilda said, not only pull, but it could also push.

But going on from that, I would like more mindforce powers like armour/shields bubbles.

To stay on topic, what about a new weapon "grappling hook cannon"
That fires a hook and chain and winches the target in.
The amount of pull generates could be based on HP of the mob for instance (and the strength of the weapon of course).
That way you could pull a young foul from over 50 meters but a proteron only 5 or so. :rolleyes:

When u say 'mob puller' do u want something that instantly teleports a mob from 100m away to 5m away or do u want it to agro a single mob so it starts running at you?

When u say 'mob puller' do u want something that instantly teleports a mob from 100m away to 5m away or do u want it to agro a single mob so it starts running at you?

Yes, instant pull. I can aggro a mob with a tagger.

I think I'm with oleg on this one, it kinda defeats the purpose of having different ranged weapons if you can just grab mobs into range of melee. No point having mobs with different agro if you can just bypass the system with a 'pull tool'.

When I'm melee hunting I generally tag while running at them mob using hermes perfected ring to close as fast as possible, or if the spawn is dense with low agro mobs I don't tag at all as the ring lets me close fast enough anyway. There's a few other techniques depending on the mobs agro range, agro speed etc. a 'pull tool' would make hunting all mobs just the same.. pull mob, kill, pull mob, kill etc.

I respect that you've got your specific way of playing that you want to do forever, but I don't understand what's wrong with introducing new game mechanics for people to explore. This game is very static, I think it would be great to introduce new things. You don't have to use them.

If you add a counter/block this could be a lot of fun in PvP.

No point having mobs with different agro if you can just bypass the system with a 'pull tool'.

Beside that, this "Pull Tool" already exists!
Its called RIFLE !

Shouldent the sweating tool do the job for u ?

Not before I can use my empty rifle as a club :). Would be only fair.
And im with svarog here hehe:wise:

Not before I can use my empty rifle as a club :). Would be only fair.

Hmm, nice idea.

Give us bayonet attachment and use our rifles like a spear in close combat :)

You know what, fine y'all! I'm going to make my own game with hookers and blackjack and MOB PULLERS. :wave:

Reactions: San
Hmm, nice idea.

Give us bayonet attachment and use our rifles like a spear in close combat :)

Why not add halberds and spears, and last but not least shurikens? Throwable melee weapons. ;)

I respect that you've got your specific way of playing that you want to do forever, but I don't understand what's wrong with introducing new game mechanics for people to explore. This game is very static, I think it would be great to introduce new things. You don't have to use them.

If you add a counter/block this could be a lot of fun in PvP.

I've got no problem with new game mechanics, I'll adapt as I always have even when I don't like the new system. But this isn't a case of adding something that some people can use and will have no effect on those who don't want it. It will have a big impact on weapon prices, it will annoy hunters who randomly have targeted mobs dissapear and appear next to a GD on the edge of radar, and i'm sure there's other things that would effect those who don't want the system.

There is a lot of ways something like this could be implemented, and it would be up to MA how to do that, cooldown, not instant mob teleport, cost, level gated etc etc. I dont agree with throwing out the idea of new mechanics completely because if it was implemented in a certain way.
Yes i agree a free insant mob teleport would probably not be the best idea, but there is plenty of other ways this or similar mechanics could be implemented

Back