Help: Critical: Motion sickness

Angel O2 Mercer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
Angel O2 Mercer
First, let me quote myself from 4 months ago:

In that case I hope you don't introduce any weird stuff (dof, strafe, motion blur, etc..). Games like that make me puke literally, I get motion sickness very easily and start feeling terrible. Only lasts for about 30 minutes but I'm unable to play.

Or if you do let us configure it and disable the new stuff.

I don't know what I would do if EU becomes one of the games that make me feel sick :(

And sure enough, this is happenning after VU 16.0. Now I get dizzy and start feeling sick when I play.

I'm not sure what's causing it, I think it's due to the way the camera moves when you have a target locked. Or maybe just the way the new camera moves in general I really don't know.

Please look into fixing this, I really don't want to quit :cry:

Thank you.

EDIT: To clarify, the symptoms are: dizziness, cold sweat, mild tunnel vision (only if playing for long), mild headache. There are much worse games that cause this (Half Life used to get me really, really sick) but it's still noticeable and EU didn't have this problem before VU16. I have yet to tinker with settings to see if I can somehow mitigate it... but honestly don't hold much hope :(

Last edited:
bugs

i am gonna try to be optimistic MA although it is really bad. I see some really good stuff like its much easier to aim mobs now so i am very glad for it. But problem is how to chat to not stop all ur actions all the time now. How to turn ur avatar with mouse where u want it looks like my neck is broken lol. Plus its annoying when its shaking all the time when i shoot it makes me dizzy. Now take this as positive crittics i belive with little bit fixing this can work good.

A temp fix is to start auto shooting a mob then left click the screen and rotate the camera just a little. This will keep the camera in place instead of moving around as the mob approaches.

This camera problem certainly needs fixing but I hope this little tip might help a little while MA sort out this crap.

A temp fix is to start auto shooting a mob then left click the screen and rotate the camera just a little. This will keep the camera in place instead of moving around as the mob approaches.

This camera problem certainly needs fixing but I hope this little tip might help a little while MA sort out this crap.

Thanks I will try this when I get home :)

Looks like I'm not the only one with this kind of issues, here I thought I was a total weirdo :laugh:

Motion sickness sucks, not sure about this new camera system guys :S

First, let me quote myself from 4 months ago:

And sure enough, this is happenning after VU 16.0. Now I get dizzy and start feeling sick when I play.

I am in the same boat, I have thought maybe even they changed refresh somehow or the client broadcasts at some rate the eye cant see, but is not natural. It seems definitely something more than the camera to me, flicker I cant really measure, something.

It's not just the camera giving me headache, it's my beautiful new gauss rifle :(

The inability to zoom out means the flash of the gauss rifle at close range is painful, I've had to swap weapons 'till they sort it out.

Motion Sickness

I have found the movement while auto shooting makes me feel a little sick to my stomach as well... It seemed to get better after a while, but I have to repeat this brief period of yuck each time I start playing. They just need to take out that wiggle of up and down while the Mob moves, and maybe that white flash every time the mob is hit.. both are not necessary, and would fix the issue for me. I think MA will be looking at this, because I am sure there are many more that suffer from motion sickness.

I am using a 34in curved monitor as well, so I think its like looking at a Windows that is moving... ugh!

Look forward to a resolution..

Looks like I'm not the only one with this kind of issues, here I thought I was a total weirdo :laugh:

Motion sickness sucks, not sure about this new camera system guys :S

Its ok to be normal. It may not be socially acceptible but we love you just the same.

to see horrbile camera movements ... go in the argo cave. i make special big blue barf buckets for side peds.

Last edited:
I get headache,dizzy and mild nausea from this new camera movements, i have never experienced this in a game before. Not motivating to play atm

Go back to deafult settings and options pre-vu 16 and let anyone tweak new additions to their taste. thank you.

yeah...feeling same things....thats a pitty because the game was good besides some problems in the recently past

I thought you guys were overreacting yesterday when I read about this on the forums before playing. You were not! I played for 3 hours last night and had to take a break from feeling dizzy and motion sick. I've played EU for nearly 10 years and often up to 10-14 hours straight (with minor breaks) and I've never felt as sick as I did last night.

Something has changed in this VU, I'm not sure if it's a flickering or all of the zooming and micro zooms that are set up, but it made me feel queasy.

I'm sure this will be addressed quickly by you guys, I just wanted to add my name to the list of old people feeling sick while playing :D

i am gonna try to be optimistic MA although it is really bad. I see some really good stuff like its much easier to aim mobs now so i am very glad for it. But problem is how to chat to not stop all ur actions all the time now. How to turn ur avatar with mouse where u want it looks like my neck is broken lol. Plus its annoying when its shaking all the time when i shoot it makes me dizzy. Now take this as positive crittics i belive with little bit fixing this can work good.

I agree with this +rep

I have to say after 4 hours my eyes started hurting a bit and my head was sore. :eyecrazy:

My only fear is that the camera system is the core of the VU and can't be fixed with a patch, that would be a shame. As it is right now, that is truly a problem for gameplay.

MA just set they were going to adjust the zooming out thing so you can zoom out further. This should help with the problem, just zoom out further and you won't notice the slight changes in aim as the mobs approach/move.

The new targeting with how it locks on to one point of the mob is otherwise a huge improvement.

MA just set they were going to adjust the zooming out thing so you can zoom out further. This should help with the problem, just zoom out further and you won't notice the slight changes in aim as the mobs approach/move.

The new targeting with how it locks on to one point of the mob is otherwise a huge improvement.

Ohhh, I missed that. Thank You, that is great news!

:yay:

This shit is still happening. Is there any way to activate the Auto-Use without the camera locking on targets?

I'm getting really sick of this game, I'm considering things I never thought would come.

This shit is still happening. Is there any way to activate the Auto-Use without the camera locking on targets?

I'm getting really sick of this game, I'm considering things I never thought would come.

Hold use tool for a second and it will active auto use. Then, go into aim mode and point and shoot at mobs. Works great with a rifle.

Last edited:
Hold use tool for a sec and it will active auto use. Then, go into aim mode and point and shoot at mobs. Works great with a rifle.

This works but it's a bit uncomfortable compared to how I could play before VU16. And it doesn't fix the overall wonky movements :S

Also, minor annoyances like not being able to see the mobs health.

Thank you.

Not getting sick, but I definitely cannot watch extracting a claim rod in 1st person. A huge claim WOULD make me sick for sure. Looking forward to extended zoom back range.

Half hour is enough to discover first symptoms of motion sickness for me.

Thats even worse than the FPS shooters I like to play, where this symptoms start past 2 hours or so.

I was getting headaches, then someone suggested to go to in-game options and check the box next to "Disable Damage Flash". That has helped me tremendously. I was just mining some claims and noticed the camera view goes up and down with the claim when extracting, felt like I was on a boat on the high seas. That should definitely be fixed.

This works but it's a bit uncomfortable compared to how I could play before VU16. And it doesn't fix the overall wonky movements :S

Also, minor annoyances like not being able to see the mobs health.

Thank you.

When I point at a mob, I DO see it's health.

As far as getting sick, are you playing in first person? Switch to 3rd person view and zoom out as far as possible using the scroll wheel. In options -> camera, set Maximum distance to max.

If you are playing in full screen, you could also try playing in a window by pressing ALT+ Enter and make your window resolution small.

Also, make sure that Graphics Advanced -> Enable Motion Blur is turned off.

Last edited:

As he said but there is no option in EU because they want YOU to use VR gear...

Turn Off Camera Shake

Some video games attempt to add realism by introducing movement in the in-game camera. It goes by different names in different games, but you’ll usually find it in the settings listed under entries like “camera shake”, “view bobbing”, or “realistic camera”.

While the effect definitely makes the game action seem more realistic, it also makes a lot of people motion sick. In real life, a camera attached to a soldier moving rapidly across the field of battle would bob and shake a tremendous amount. But viewing that kind of movement when you are stationary is often more than enough to make people nauseous.

Look through the settings in your game to toggle the option off, if it exists.

Back