Suggestion: Accounts on forum should have mandatory 'avatar name' field filled.

Evey

Elite
Society
Hardcore
Eve Everglades
I wish there was a mandatory field for forum accounts to be able to post - full ingame name should be required.
There could be some limitations for the accounts without this filled, like in some help area or greetings area, but sometimes the alts created issue gets out of hand and it takes quite some time for them to be sorted, like in the past few weeks...

regards

Edit: at the time of creating of this thread, there were probably a few people that were keep getting banned but they kept coming back trolling hard.

Last edited:
Something I also had in mind should be mandatory for PCF.
I agreed 100%

Fully agree on this

And as our newest member we welcome Incredible Dumbass Bozo... :duh:

Agree it would be nice, I know a certain LA for example has 1 person selling it on AH, a second here (newish acct with a very different name) listing an event for it, and a 3rd claiming to own it.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but I would like to know who actually owns it, and why they feel they need to hide ownership. Some owners I refuse to support, like any LA in Entropia Fund, But when anyone can post events here its hard to know exactly who we are supporting.

Those organizing events for an LA not necessary need to be the owners, they also could be hired event promoters.

If you want to be sure who is the owner, visit the LA and check LA marker, there is the name of the owner.

Those organizing events for an LA not necessary need to be the owners, they also could be hired event promoters.

If you want to be sure who is the owner, visit the LA and check LA marker, there is the name of the owner.

Please don drag this into another topic, I'm sure you understand opening post, thanks.

Yup. Agree.

Until MA deals with people who respond to OOG drama with in-game harassment, this is a no-go.

Plus, there's no way to verify the information supplied.

I agree wholeheartedly

Completely agree!. I also propose adding a mandatory attribute in PFC that indicates whether it is a player or a fanboy. :laugh::laugh:

It is impossible to enforce this. People can just make up a name or pick someones name whos not longer playing or they just make a trash EU account for the name.

Bigbrother 3.0 isn't here yet

I also agree with this and already recommended it in the past, I think it would require some development of the forum but if/when the forum receives some upgrades this would be nice to have for a couple different reasons.

I'll be the voice of dissent and strongly disagree. The modern trend toward Facebook integrating everything and centralizing online identities is a dangerous practice from an information security perspective. Contrast it with best practices from the cryptocurrency space, i.e., the advice to generate a new address for each instance of receiving funds. Granted, the topic suggestion is only a very local segment of the much wider problem, and is not entirely bereft of benefits. Still, I'd argue that wherever possible, deciding whether or not to link multiple online identities should be left to the individual, voluntary rather than coerced.

Concrete examples of how this might matter? Consider cases of doxxing or threatening real life harm. If one isn't sufficiently careful about concealing personal info in-world or on the forum, linking identities between the two can, quite realistically, make these types of attacks easier.

Secondly, it seems plausible, and certainly justifiable, that one might desire to engage in controversial intellectual matters on the forum (i.e., undercutting low quality arguments against the moral permissibly of piracy, as the actual pirates are systemically ineffective at this) without worrying about their philosophical views bleeding into their in-game reputation. Many of us are notoriously bad at maintaining the distinction between a person's views and their character, and identity anonymity may be the best tool to overcome this bias.

Last edited:
i support

i fully support this.

Yeah the PCF can be mine feild as it is, but when you start seeing new accounts just causing arugements and saying they been playing for years, but know one ever heard of them.

Fully agree on this, and like you said, some sections should be visible to all (people who don't have EU account yet but come here for information about the game) while other sections should require avatar name.

I only have 1 account here, just like I only have 1 account in Entropia.

I agree with the principle that it should be known who exactly we are dealing with when engaging with other people on this forum, but if you are going to enforce this, start with enforcing it IN THE ACTUAL GAME!

I see many people creating MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS inside the game, to gain unfair advantage like more auction slots for example, or being able to avoid travelling between planets, and MA IS NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

So start there please. Then we can talk about same thing for this forum.

Last edited:
I only have 1 account here, just like I only have 1 account in Entropia.

I agree with the principle that it should be known who exactly we are dealing with when engaging with other people on this forum, but if you are going to enforce this, start with enforcing it IN THE ACTUAL GAME!

I see many people creating MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS inside the game, to gain unfair advantage like more auction slots for example, or being able to avoid travelling between planets, and MA IS NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

So start there please. Then we can talk about same thing for this forum.

I agree.. ive actually been trying repeatedly to have mine changed to my toons name instead of old Hotmail but they wont do it. make sense of it.. I cant.

*edit*
k still need more coffee haha im referring to username it seems looking at it now but that too shud be inline with avatar imo

"full ingame name should be required" -- OP

Is this the gist of this thread? It seems like a fine idea to me.

there would be a lot of work for mods but it will be nice to have only "confirmed" avatars on forum , like you have to contact a mod to get access on forum and they add your avatar name to the forum account

Yep agree with the idea

I support this!

...without worrying about their philosophical views bleeding into their in-game reputation. Many of us are notoriously bad at maintaining the distinction between a person's views and their character, and identity anonymity may be the best tool to overcome this bias.
In other words, you don't want to be held responsible for your words. I'm disappointed in you. You should give others the courtesy of knowing who they disagree with.

Let's go completely toward your direction and say every single person here used a fake name or none at all. You have no idea if the person you are reading is Messi, Auktuma, a 2-day old player, or that guy that cheats every chance they can get. Of course no one would post screen shots or describe their inagmes too closely for fear of revealing themselves.

Would this please you?

Now, I will admit that there is one aspect of forcing an ingame name here that I do NOT like: Newbies who are looking for info before starting this game.
Sometimes someone comes to the forum to ask questions before starting in Entropia. They need to be able to ask those questions so we can answer and help them decide if they want to try this game.

To that, I agree with this...

... some sections should be visible to all (people who don't have EU account yet but come here for information about the game) while other sections should require avatar name.

A "newbies without ingame name yet" section where they can only post there if no ingame name is given would work well for them to know they are welcome to ask questions while also boxing in "Anonymous Cowards".

ALSO, notice that newbies will be much more appreciative of knowing that those who answer are putting their personal ingame reputations on the line.

No "Anonymous Coward" accounts please.

In other words, you don't want to be held responsible for your words. I'm disappointed in you. You should give others the courtesy of knowing who they disagree with.

Let's go completely toward your direction and say every single person here used a fake name or none at all. You have no idea if the person you are reading is Messi, Auktuma, a 2-day old player, or that guy that cheats every chance they can get. Of course no one would post screen shots or describe their inagmes too closely for fear of revealing themselves.

Would this please you?

I think it's more accurate to characterize this as "overshooting" in my direction. You are quite right that mandatory anonymity would be silly. It would also be unnecessary, as the anonymity set is large enough to work well under the current policy. You could think of my stance that identity disclosure should remain voluntary as a synthesis or middle ground between the topic proposal and your scenario.

I also believe conflating anonymity with cowardice fails to responsibly portray the real pros and cons of identity disclosure, both at individual and collective levels. Many others have listed the pros, while my prior post includes some example cons. In general, the set of questions, comments, opinions, etc. people will and rationally should share given anonymity is a superset of what will and should be shared given identity disclosure. Clearly it is better for the individual to be given the freedom to make the best of the disclosure/anonymity tradeoff, but unless we're supposed to believe that nothing outside the disclosure set but in the anonymity superset is valuable to the community, we should at least be open to the possibility that allowing anonymity is also better collectively.

In addition, there are many instances where the absence of identifying information itself is of intrinsic individual and collective value. Consider the use of blind auditions as a tool to eliminate systemic gender bias. In general terms, we want others to judge our performances/ideas/arguments/etc. on their own merit, independent of what they think of us as persons, and we should want to do the same for others, but we are notoriously bad at actually doing the latter. Perhaps this tendency has even subtly crept into your post, where it expresses disappointment in me on the basis that I don't want to be held responsible for my words. In reality, all I've done is express an opinion regarding the freedoms of others; I have personally waived this freedom by voluntarily linking my in-game and forum identities for over a decade. Either way, I think it's fairly obvious that anonymity can be a great aid, perhaps the best aid, in overcoming these types of tendencies.

If everyone on this forum were anon then yes we could all speak freely without our avatars being known. But since the majority in the forums (not just this one) use avatar name or have already added avatar name to profile, this just means the few anon accounts are either too cowardly, too shy or too lazy to properly identify themselves, or have an axe to grind they don't want associated with their avatar... or maybe..an alt account ?

I would therefore support compulsory link to avatar name (confirmed) in profile as a minimum, to level the playing field. Not as if those of us that give our names don't have to duck incoming missiles sometimes, just that we are prepared to stand by our words and wear a thick skin.

Perhaps those who lose their temper or are rude would be more inclined to apologise when calmer if they knew it would affect their rep, which would imo be a good thing and maybe lead to less rants and more considered conversation.

Since neither forum name nor in-game name are generally our real names, I don't see personal security as an issue here

Back