Suggestion: Accounts on forum should have mandatory 'avatar name' field filled.

I wish there was a mandatory field for forum accounts to be able to post - full ingame name should be required.
There could be some limitations for the accounts without this filled, like in some help area or greetings area, but sometimes the alts created issue gets out of hand and it takes quite some time for them to be sorted, like in the past few weeks...

regards

yes. also something MA could incorporate into the game. no reason at all that it needs to be outside of the game. at the very least it should be accessible from within the game. all the essential sites should be accesible from within the game. entropia life, entropiawiki, bob the builder, little big mining log, entropiapets. AND there should be an API, aka application programmer interface, for third party webdevelopers and planet partners.

any idea how bad it sucks to have to go to arkadia forum, cyrene forum, toulan forum, monria forum, rocktropia forum, toulan forum. not to mention other sites like cyrene secrets, titans of space, kronan-ms.info, myitems, my soc page...like seriously help us out here.

at the VERY LEAST make a set of standards and links to items. just imagine how much work could be saved. maybe it would pay to go to these sites and look at how much energy and passion has gone into making them. bob hand coded his site and typed all the items out one by one. how many items? comon now be honest.

its not like web sites need to access the core code ffs. put the database out for us. and you know these people will help make it work.

I support this .
They do show themselves eventually though when they want to sell something ;)

Fully support this. However, there should also be a report function wherein if the name does not belong to the person then he/she should get banned from pcf for faking/phishing.

I heard Dorki likes this idea. But how can I be sure it was real Dorki who said it? Oh, nevermind, I am Dorki, so he likes it. Uhum, this will need some verification in game if it ever gets implemented to avoid fakes/scams. :eyecrazy:

Love this idea. Don't know how they would enforce it, but if they could I think it would be fab :)

yes. also something MA could incorporate into the game. no reason at all that it needs to be outside of the game. at the very least it should be accessible from within the game. all the essential sites should be accesible from within the game. entropia life, entropiawiki, bob the builder, little big mining log, entropiapets. AND there should be an API, aka application programmer interface, for third party webdevelopers and planet partners.

any idea how bad it sucks to have to go to arkadia forum, cyrene forum, toulan forum, monria forum, rocktropia forum, toulan forum. not to mention other sites like cyrene secrets, titans of space, kronan-ms.info, myitems, my soc page...like seriously help us out here.

at the VERY LEAST make a set of standards and links to items. just imagine how much work could be saved. maybe it would pay to go to these sites and look at how much energy and passion has gone into making them. bob hand coded his site and typed all the items out one by one. how many items? comon now be honest.

its not like web sites need to access the core code ffs. put the database out for us. and you know these people will help make it work.

BOOM, create an api and let people that create eu related websites allow people to log into them with theyre entropia universe credential just like when they log into support cases, without the 2factor security code and jobs done. After that u can allow people easy an option of posting in forum in incognito, so u have also the anonimity factor with the security granted to all players.
To answer to that dude that was talking about anonimity, Yeah, but anonimous to other player okay, not to the developer.

.....there should be an API, aka application programmer interface, for third party webdevelopers and planet partners. [/I]

This is a well known practise to many MMO's decade ago and adding a great deal of value to the game itself!
an example here

Yes, there should atleast be the option to have a verified user and threads only they can use.

(ex. forum sends a code to user and they can verify it by going ingame to a forum admin (or a terminal) and you get your avatar name added to your forum account.)

There are games with forums that you cant register in any other way than with game log in.
Lock or ban from game result in automatic ban from forum too.
Being in war with forum ego kid bot script with moderator power will not ban you from game except if you insist with insults.
IN case you have more than one avatar your "nick" can be displayed instead so you stil hide from community.

We should have like "CONFIRMED" accounts -> for example PCF -> drops u a PM ingame with a Security code -> who dont post the Security code -> its not getting Verified Thick.

Whos not Verifyed -> cannot post in some areas (just to read).

Just my ideea.

I strongley disagree, people have a right to anonymity .

only way this would really work is if the forum account was somehow linked with the actual in game database so that Mindark would connect them.... That level of integration has never been done, and likely will never be done... (in part I'm not sure they'd even know how to do it even though other game companies do likewise all the time on any given day easily)... (and of course then there's the whole issue that moderators on the forum may be more strict than in game eula allows or tos allows in various ways as forum rules are different set of rules, some of which may not be adhered to in game and vice versa, etc... )

only way this would really work is if the forum account was somehow linked with the actual in game database so that Mindark would connect them.... That level of integration has never been done, and likely will never be done... (in part I'm not sure they'd even know how to do it even though other game companies do likewise all the time on any given day easily)... (and of course then there's the whole issue that moderators on the forum may be more strict than in game eula allows or tos allows in various ways as forum rules are different set of rules, some of which may not be adhered to in game and vice versa, etc... )
agree. i hate communism so i agree for anonymity on the internet - but a also agree with linking the forum with the game avatar 100% - but this comes back to MA and their shallow idea of their game shell. If they had a visionary on the developement team who can VISUALISE how nice a game would be with all the neccesary data INTERLINKED with the game inside AND out, this game would be AMAZING...just sayin

I strongley disagree, people have a right to anonymity .

yes they should have but not if they post in hunting/mining/crafting related threads.New players should know where they get their information from.

Confirmed accounts are used regularly in the social media business world. I Think this would be of great benefit here. Want to remain anonymous, fine. Want to prove the integrity and honesty of your persona/brand - done.

Then only you and all your special friends can have the forums all to your selves>
If anyone says anything you don't like you can publicly humiliate and shame them.
I don't belong to an SOC either because of that!.
I think not.

yes they should have but not if they post in hunting/mining/crafting related threads.New players should know where they get their information from.

Agreed, if your going to give game info lets see who you are so your post has some quality behind it.

Confirmed accounts are used regularly in the social media business world. I Think this would be of great benefit here. Want to remain anonymous, fine. Want to prove the integrity and honesty of your persona/brand - done.

I agree EU is quite a reputation based system , when I see "knowledgable" posts from someone who hasnt linked their account to their in game avatar name , I tend to ignore them.

I dont see the issue here with wanting to hide who you are , you do know that unless your totally dark , ie , using no electronic devices, we are all being tracked anyway and those that need to know , know who you are anyway.

The reason the Avatar Name member profile field is not mandatory is that there is no way to verify the information provided.

What's to prevent someone from using a fake avatar name, or worse, someone else's avatar name?

And even if there were some way to reliably verify forum accounts to Entropia Universe avatars, what's to prevent someone from making a new Entropia universe account with a different avatar name. They would then be "verified" but there would still be no guarantee that the forum account is not simply an alt account of some other Entropia Universe avatar, or forum member.

The reason the Avatar Name member profile field is not mandatory is that there is no way to verify the information provided.

What's to prevent someone from using a fake avatar name, or worse, someone else's avatar name?

And even if there were some way to reliably verify forum accounts to Entropia Universe avatars, what's to prevent someone from making a new Entropia universe account with a different avatar name. They would then be "verified" but there would still be no guarantee that the forum account is not simply an alt account of some other Entropia Universe avatar, or forum member.
If they sent a screenshot. Showing a certain message in-game (you pick). With EU time and position showing including their full avatar name. Then it could be verified. Would create more work for moderators/you though. This process can be done when the player requests approval to post messages on forum (which currently requires manual activation if I'm not mistaken).

As for verified alts, that's MA territory.

If they sent a screenshot. Showing a certain message in-game (you pick). With EU time and position showing including their full avatar name. Then it could be verified. Would create more work for moderators/you though. This process can be done when the player requests approval to post messages on forum (which currently requires manual activation if I'm not mistaken).

As for verified alts, that's MA territory.

Manual verification of Entropia Universe avatars for forum accounts as you suggest is an extremely tedious and impractical solution. It would take thousands of hours just to verify the 55000+ current PCF members, let alone all new accounts.

It also does not address my other point: Entropia Universe is free-to-play, so what will prevent someone from making an alternate account to link to their forum profile? Or making a second forum account linked to a second EU account, or a third? Or twenty?

Having a "Verified" forum->EU Avatar system as you and others have suggested will simply lead to a false sense of security in those Verified checkmarks.

It also does not address my other point: Entropia Universe is free-to-play, so what will prevent someone from making an alternate account to link to their forum profile? Or making a second forum account linked to a second EU account, or a third? Or twenty?

Having a "Verified" forum->EU Avatar system as you and others have suggested will simply lead to a false sense of security in those Verified checkmarks.

The difference is the alt account likely does not have any in game reputation.

Manual verification of Entropia Universe avatars for forum accounts as you suggest is an extremely tedious and impractical solution. It would take thousands of hours just to verify the 55000+ current PCF members, let alone all new accounts.

I believe Xen answered your other point.
So yeah. Now who says you must verify all forum accounts? I don't believe for a second we have 55,000 active playing avatars who view this forum. Only the ones who are at least somewhat active (log in at least once every 1 month) would need to be verified. New accs need verification before they can make a thread. Inactive accounts would need to get verified if they wanted to post a new thread.

This way it wouldn't be completely all at once, and you guys can take your time. It doesn't have to happen all in one week or even one month. But it would be good for the forum if it eventually gets done.

Well I don't think they should be expected to do it manually. I wouldn't. MA should provide an API.

There is no way this type of verification could reasonably done manually, even if only 10% of the registered forum accounts required manual verification by the forum staff, as has been suggested.

Also, the benefits of "Verified" forum accounts are unclear to me.
What problem are you trying to solve that currently exists on the forum? It is already very difficult for forum members to have secret "alt" accounts that are used to attack other "legitimate" forum members. There are various tools in place that routinely catch and ban such accounts.

I do not believe that there is currently a big problem with people abusing "undercover" or alternate accounts here on PCF. The few that do slip through the automated measures in place invariably expose their true intentions and promptly get banned due to multiple violations of the forum rules.

Or it could be done "By request" ?

If i want to have my account Verified would be good (as i can prove who i am) .

I supose not 55k account wants to be verified. so would be good to know whos Verified and whos not.

Or it could be done "By request" ?

If i want to have my account Verified would be good (as i can prove who i am) .

I supose not 55k account wants to be verified. so would be good to know whos Verified and whos not.

And who is going to perform that manual verification? The forum staff (basically me and Ludvig)?
Even if only 1000 members wanted to become "Verified" (less than 2% of currently registered forum accounts), it would be extremely time consuming to do that manually.

Also, what happens if we make an error in the verification process, or somehow get deceived?
Suppose an incorrectly "Verified" member then trust scams another member. We would then be held responsible for providing a false sense of security to the forum community by granting a "Verified" seal of approval to such a member.

Or suppose someone gains access to a "Verified" member's forum account and pulls off some scams, or engages in some other sort of abusive behavior.
What happens in those cases? What if someone falsely claims that their "Verified" forum account was accessed without authorization, in order to cover up their actual bad behavior?

As you can see with these few examples, there are major conceptual issues with the proposal to require forum account->Entropia avatar verification, and any potential benefits of such a system are unclear at best.

Last edited:
Back