Maybe You are still paying a 1% tax on your loots, but You didn't know about it...

bigPaul

Dominant
Paul Ray Spinn
Hallo Friends :)

Since my return in-game in 2017, after many years away, I interestingly noticed that in the game Options/Sounds there is STILL an option called "Ads Volume" (that is described as "Volume of the Advertisement Videos").

From a "historical" point of view, it's interesting to remember that, when the OLD Advertising System was active in-game (more than 10 years ago), MindArk stated that by deactivating the "Ads Volume" the Player received (and MAYBE still receives ??) a 1% penalty/tax on its loots.

Well, since the option "Ads Volume", MANY years after the removal of the old Advertising System, is still present within the game Options, then I would recommend to activate it, at FULL volume, just as mere "safety measure" :
this just in the theorically possible case that the old 1% loot penalty/tax is still active when the "Ads Volume" has been deactivated by the Player.

Enjoy :)

Paul

Last edited:
This is some early april fools joke? :silly2: I will only believe that if you quote the post or release notes where MA actually said that. :lolup:

This is some early april fools joke? :silly2: I will only believe that if you quote the post or release notes where MA actually said that. :lolup:

No, it's NOT a joke.

It's something that belongs to the "deep past", when the OLD "Ads System" ( = Advertisement Videos) was introduced and active : maybe 2006, or probably before (just i don't remember the exact date).

MindArk in that occasion stated that there was a 1% loot penalty if the Player decided to silence the Advertisement Videos.
If I manage to find a quote i will post that.

Otherwise, a new Official Statement from MindArk would solve the "doubt" about the current situation.

Paul

Last edited:
Haven t thought about the adds in more than a decade... there s literally nothing stopping people from trying that but i d find it rather uncouth to have kept that ingame so long

There was no 1% loot penalty.

(Removed my own unnecessary arsiness, sorry :) )

Last edited:
There was no 1% loot penalty.

Are you sure about that?

I remember that I have read that aswell.
Allways have had adds activated, and there have been adds.

Thank You guys,

I made my further research on this topic, as requested, and finally started to find the first confirmations that the question is, at least, less "trivial" than it seemed to someone :

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27094-VU-8-4-Content-listing

MindArk Official Statement about Version Update 8.4 , 2006

Ad Options
An Ad option is now included in the Client Loader Options allowing participants to choose whether or not they wish to enable Entropia Universe advertisements.
By enabling the ad system, participants will be granted access to larger loots.

My Comment :
The "Ad Option" has been removed from the Client Loader long time ago, but still there is an Option regarding "Ads Volume" within the current game Options (Options/Sounds), hence the reasonable doubt that I reported in my 1st post of this thread.

It says nothing about 1% less loot if you don't have it active, it's also no longer in client loader hence they probably forgot about this completely.

However it would be nice with some sort of confirmation from MA if we do get less loot or more by having ads volume on/off in in-game options, I've always had it inactive.:laugh:

It says nothing about 1% less loot if you don't have it active, it's also no longer in client loader hence they probably forgot about this completely.

However it would be nice with some sort of confirmation from MA if we do get less loot or more by having ads volume on/off in in-game options, I've always had it inactive.:laugh:

Yes, an official statement from MindArk would be useful, as I stated in the 2nd message.

And about the EXACT amount of the OLD loot penalty for those who deactivated the "Ad System" in the Client Loader, I remember that mere 1% , which was not huge, but still a sensible loot penalty :
just I hope to find an official confirmation about the EXACT amount of that old loot penalty, at least for curiosity's sake.

Paul

By enabling the ad system, participants will be granted access to larger loots.

It was a promise of MORE loot if you enable it, not a threat of punishment if you won't. But it hardly ever worked (I play since vu 8.5, never seen any non-EU ads) and now will never ever will:

Yes, at one point Entropia Universe had a system which displayed sponsored advertisement on the in-game ad screens, however after evaluation of the trial run, it was decided to scrap the system.

It was a promise of MORE loot if you enable it, not a threat of punishment if you won't. But it hardly ever worked (I play since vu 8.5, never seen any non-EU ads) and now will never ever will:

At one point in time there were mcdonalds ads and a few other ads in the system when the system actually ran, before Microsoft bought out the mothership and killed the company... Just another example of potential partnerships gone sour in the the virtual universe.

Mindark didn't remove the wording about the ad system off of website or in eula til we mentioned it in here in the forum and in a couple of blogs. They finally did reword it, but mostly did so because they had to due to new stricter laws regarding privacy.

Always thought it was funny that Microsoft killed the system after Mindark's and Microsoft's interesting history...

(just more unfinished promises....)
"MindArk is prepared to sue Microsoft and the other companies for damages caused by their action," MindArk said in a statement. "Proceedings from this process, which will certainly reach a substantial number of millions of United States dollars, will be placed in the virtual universe of Project Entropia as a number of gigantic treasures that anyone entering the Universe of Project Entropia may find and grab."

Last edited:
From what i rememberd the ad revenue was in a special loot pool and only those who enabled the ad system was able to trigger a "payout" as a hof (doubt the pool substance was ever able to generate an ath). On top of that it was never made visible if your hof came from the Ad pool or was just a regular one.

But since i had breaks in my game time i might have missed the quote were someone from mindark clearly stated that disable ads will result in 1% less loot, but i kinda doubt it :) It was more like no ads = normal loot and ads enabled chance on bonus peds. I was also under the assumption that mindark claim all advertising peds as their revenue these days but i might be wrong here aswell.

I had it active all the time, never bothered turning it off, i doubt that it does anything.

well if there is one thing worse than advertising its stealth advertising. i see you are more worried about paying or losing money than invasions of privacy and targeted advertising. wonder if you even noticed facebook linking in your client loader? thats ok though because its free. NOT

Are you sure about that?

I remember that I have read that aswell.
Allways have had adds activated, and there have been adds.

Supposedly there was a chance for some bonus loot, but there was no penalty let alone a stated %.

Well, since the option "Ads Volume", MANY years after the removal of the old Advertising System, is still present within the game Options, then I would recommend to activate it, at FULL volume, just as mere "safety measure" :
this just in the theorically possible case that the old 1% loot penalty/tax is still active when the "Ads Volume" has been deactivated by the Player.

Paul

Update : the "Ads Volume" option has been recently removed from the Game Options : it doesn't exist anymore .

Paul

Back