MMOFallout - MindArk Talks Entropia Universe 16th Anniversary

lets not update the serious old game engine to the latest edition because the old age pensioner playing the game has an old potato and doesn't want to spend $400 dollars on a new pc even though they probably spends $1k's a year paying to play the game!

You wont boost a fricken games player base using decade old game engines. You must keep with the times!

I would probably return as a regular player if the engine and graphics were not so outdated.

This kind of thinking is short sighted, self-absorbed, and ignorant that also shows lack of knowledge of the real world and how things work. You are bashing the very people that have kept EU going for over 16 years and have the balls to call us "old-timers" and Pensioners" yet show no inkling of knowledge of how great the game was that drew us all in in the first place. I, for one, build my own computers and I would be considered a "pensioner" . I have achieved many goals in EU. The concept (RCE), is enough to keep most young "tech crazed" players away because it would require real work at making the game successful for them. EU isnt a quick fix for adrenaline junkies, but more like the stock market. It takes thought, experience, ingenuity, social skills (that you cant learn from FB or instagram) , and patience to make your game play successful. Its an adult game, not for thirteen year olds.

What will boost this game is quality of substance, equity in loot disbursements equivalent to the amount of time and cash you use, and a player base that isnt looking for Mcdonalds but rather a 4 star restaurant. I, and millions of others, currently play Forge of Empire , and , compared to EU, the graphics suck but it has a tremendous player base. Advanced tech doesnt necessarily equate with great gaming experience, unless all you are looking for is the next thrill.

Last edited:
Wood pc much?Did you found your pc while taking your trash out?
I have a 8 year old pc I never changed anything and works with highest graphic options as a charm.

tip you could actually find a better computer in the garbage

When I read this in the interview, I was quite dubious about the repeated choice of Cryengine for the future update :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems like growing technology is the biggest threat to older MMOs.
Have you had any major technical hurdles to cross with Entropia now being old enough ?

Henrik: In 2009 we made the change from Gamebryo game engine to Cryengine 2. With that change, we had to re-develop a lot of our systems to adapt with the new game engine.
As many of the developers are still around from that time, we still possess the knowledge from that transition which will make another upgrade much smoother.
We do actually have a graphical improvement just around the corner which utilizes Cryengine , but unfortunately I can’t go into detail about it just yet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT as lately new interesting developments came from Cryengine developers (the fastest ray-tracing in the world is being introduced), I had to change my previous idea :

https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryt...time-ray-tracing-demonstration-for-cryengine#

This superfast revolutionary ray-tracing simply means that Crytek -at least in 2019- knows how to exploit very well a computer hardware, surely much better than many competitors, so I am optimistic about the minimum hardware requirements of the new engine.
Also, MindArk people know very well the problems caused by the old engine transition in 2008, and the big loss of players due to excessively high minimum hardware requirements, so I would not be surprised if the specific problem has been/will be widely discussed with Crytek, for the future Cryengine releases.

Downside : the Cryengine is not free, unlike the Amazon's Lumberyard engine that I introduced in the Suggestion Forum and in my Blog, and asks a 5% royalty to its client-Companies, but if MindArk STILL has done this choice, imo it's a sign of financial solidity.

Paul

Last edited:
hmmm...are you talking about Anthem ? :D

I wasn't being specific to any game, I was talking very generally from my experience of other games. I can few give some example of poor graphical games, that people still enjoy highly, runescape and minecraft are a few, last night I played an 10 hour session Alpha Centauri with 3 other players over a network. None have good graphics, but can be played for hours easy without boredom. I could think of a lot lot more easy.

Actually this would be one of the worse moves for Entropia, if you keep changing the game engine every few years to keep a few people happy, where is the time for updating the actual game play?

Why push for a graphical update when many elements of the game play are still lacking, like an actual point to taming animals for example.

There are many older less graphical games that are still played today based on their great game play alone. No one wants a pretty looking game with no content, or half completed content.

It is not every few years though. This game update when Cryengine moved to a new version (2) over a decade ago no ? Since then the engine is the 5th and latest iteration and it isn't just "graphical". You get better coding that works much better on 64 bit computers, much better on quad core+ pc's and much better performance.

As said, modernisation of gaming engines (and games that use them) is essential to drawing in the new players. This game hasn't really grown at all in all the years I have been around but one of the most important ways of doing that it to bring the system into 2019 rather than keeping it pre 2009.

There are threads quoting how MA have the experience of transitions to newer game engines so it would be much more smoother in future and game engine creators have even made them easier with their newer versions.

We must keep with the times.

When I read this in the interview, I was quite dubious about the repeated choice of Cryengine for the future update :

It seems like growing technology is the biggest threat to older MMOs.
Have you had any major technical hurdles to cross with Entropia now being old enough ?

Henrik: In 2009 we made the change from Gamebryo game engine to Cryengine 2. With that change, we had to re-develop a lot of our systems to adapt with the new game engine.
As many of the developers are still around from that time, we still possess the knowledge from that transition which will make another upgrade much smoother.
We do actually have a graphical improvement just around the corner which utilizes Cryengine , but unfortunately I can’t go into detail about it just yet.

BUT as lately new interesting developments came from Cryengine developers (the fastest ray-tracing in the world is being introduced), I had to change my previous idea :

https://www.cryengine.com/news/cryt...time-ray-tracing-demonstration-for-cryengine#

This superfast revolutionary ray-tracing simply means that Crytek -at least in 2019- knows how to exploit very well a computer hardware, surely much better than many competitors, so I am optimistic about the minimum hardware requirements of the new engine.
Also, MindArk people know very well the problems caused by the old engine transition in 2008, and the big loss of players due to excessively high minimum hardware requirements, so I would not be surprised if the specific problem has been/will be widely discussed with Crytek, for the future Cryengine releases.

Downside : the Cryengine is not free, unlike the Amazon's Lumberyard engine that I introduced in the Suggestion Forum and in my Blog, and asks a 5% royalty to its client-Companies, but if MindArk STILL has done this choice, imo it's a sign of financial solidity.

Paul

A Vega 56 is not what I would call a "mainstream" graphicscard.
AFAIK the Cryenigne was also free when MA obtained it.
And from the licence I am a bit in doubt if a new Cryengine could even be obtained, because EU is borderline gambilng and you can can call it surely a serious game for the RCE.

There where some similar caveeats to the Lumberyard engine and I think it was only Cryengine 3.x.

Besides...with most people here problably having a Nvidia 1030 or an IGP, it is still out of the question.
And even if thaey do a change, where the hell are they going to get the 20some developers to do it in time and even update the textures and reflections?
Most of the developers sounds like much, but if I remember correctly there where 5 of them last time ?

This kind of thinking is short sighted, self-absorbed, and ignorant that also shows lack of knowledge of the real world and how things work. You are bashing the very people that have kept EU going for over 16 years and have the balls to call us "old-timers" and Pensioners" yet show no inkling of knowledge of how great the game was that drew us all in in the first place. I, for one, build my own computers and I would be considered a "pensioner" . I have achieved many goals in EU. The concept (RCE), is enough to keep most young "tech crazed" players away because it would require real work at making the game successful for them. EU isnt a quick fix for adrenaline junkies, but more like the stock market. It takes thought, experience, ingenuity, social skills (that you cant learn from FB or instagram) , and patience to make your game play successful. Its an adult game, not for thirteen year olds.

What will boost this game is quality of substance, equity in loot disbursements equivalent to the amount of time and cash you use, and a player base that isnt looking for Mcdonalds but rather a 4 star restaurant. I, and millions of others, currently play Forge of Empire , and , compared to EU, the graphics suck but it has a tremendous player base. Advanced tech doesnt necessarily equate with great gaming experience, unless all you are looking for is the next thrill.

I have played Forge of Empires :) Even cheap games like that are running the latest 2019 version of iOS / Android platform. Like I said it isn't just a graphical thing.

i have to say this, mindark developers proved competent,as well as pp ones also.
The real issue is not that mindark should now update now to cryengine. The issue is that they didnt do it in the past, in the 2013 we could have had this:

But by then they were more focused on listening to stupid players complains, people who were more worried if they kept upgrading they were not able to reach and fullfill they achievement because they expect to sweat a top end armor or gun. They left all the upgrading apart and focused on the economy wich was badly drived by big conflict of interests. I reread many old post during my researchs these years i play and i saw that people were leaving because animal muscle oil was at 101% not because theyre pc couldnt handle the game.
I played all the time with a pentium 3 with montherboard integrated graphic card to upgrade it only this year to an i3 with a 50dollar graphic card i took from garbage. Still if they make me play with my avatar wat i saw in the video previously posted i will buy a full optional pc for the first time in my life

The main issue is that player start with goals and they are too lazy to review them with time and improve them, we all dont have the same avaiability ingame and we dont need to, u can rather play zombie lvl 0-1 or go look for the lvl 50 ones according to ur pockets, u still killing zombies after all and with a proper graphic and a proper AI on them no matter the level u would see how fun.

U can either create new planets with new graphics and just connect them to the existing universe or improve the existing content. Something i do miss are the video, like i start a quest i get a video where the quest story gets explained and in the meantime in looking it my avatar freeze and a mark appears on top of it telling other im busy on videos. New level of gameplay, monsters actually hiding from you and attakking in groups from various sides, while when u loot them u get real cash. New levels of buildings where u can actually get inside, climb stairs get to the boss and loot the rares that are real money, while getting in pvp areas in the middle and fight for the right to kill the boss.

aiko-shinohara-15-librarylayout-01.jpg

main_image_2.jpg

I have the same problem, at times i would like to reach all my planned goals before they do update since that when they do prices of everything goes to stars because everyone is thrilled and everyone is buying and not selling. When there is general panic i can actually get an upgrade of kit and afford it easy. But what if instead i evolve my playing according to the updates? try to smell them and invest on the right assets and then resell those assets after update and buy the items that was my goal with the money invested + profit?

Evolve or die, as far as u can like a game and compare it to runescape or old games with still actual playerbase, try to compare also the costs of EU and of those games wich servers are 50mbyte of programming in a old pc and can handle 50k players.

I bet the top depositor of the game cant handle mindark electricity costs only, and in sweden electricity is cheap!!

cmon dudes we have this
8Normal.jpg

When we could have these
v9.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ee/cd/72/eecd720f22b0500cc27165b2565dd83b--spinosaurus-model-kits.jpg
https://www.kaijubattle.net/uploads/2/9/5/7/29570123/art-bully-productions-lizzie-render-01as_orig.jpg
https://www.3dart.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/3D-Model-Free-Dragon-Rigged.jpeg

Mayas Templates that costs 10dollars each with animation included

I know, im a dreamer, and i dream a vr integrated amazing entropia with ai on npcs and the feeling of beeing the hunted while hunting.

Last edited:
They have been upgrading the character models Corwin, if you had read the patch notes for 16.1 you would have seen the recent improvements.

My problem isn't with the graphics of Entropia (I've been playing on Very High since 2011) but what the coders have done to Entropia (and what they havent fixed) in the past 12 months.

Anyway, happy 16th Entropia. Time to come of age.

They have been upgrading the character models Corwin, if you had read the patch notes for 16.1 you would have seen the recent improvements.

My problem isn't with the graphics of Entropia (I've been playing on Very High since 2011) but what the coders have done to Entropia (and what they havent fixed) in the past 12 months.

Anyway, happy 16th Entropia. Time to come of age.

true, funcionality and game play, totally agree.
i have a lot of complains about game functions and bugs, like many-
But the real playerbase increase u have it with game immersion, and graphics and sound does the 80% of the job.
Imaging that you are on arkadia hunting riptors, u know there is a good spawn there in the woods but the more u approach the more the feeling of being the hunter becomes being the hunted, they attack u in groups, uses stun effects, u need to outsmart them, use decoys, set the trees on fire to separate them, end eventually kill them and loot the goods.
hehe im goin too far, but if u feel something is impossible, it actually becomes impossible, so take someone who doesnt know is impossible and let him do it, then it will become possible.

Back