Help: Mining Math Model Problem (MMM for short)

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
Is there a way of creating a model for mining with just the information given to us by the game and a bit of math?

Lets find out...

Lets start with a point, which is an object that has no physical dimensions. I am going to assign mining characteristics to that point. First off I know that from using a 105 that its radius is twice it's diameter, a bit of quick math later and the point that I have created has a radius of 110m.

Next I have a choice of how many probes to use anywhere from 1 to 30 (we are talking Caly here so treasure is a no no), lets use 30. I can now populate this 110 diameter point with 30 probes, but there is a small problem, the probes are not dropped from my location so there is an internal radius of about 0.9m to contend with...

In summary

Diameter of point = 110m
Small Points the point contain = 30
Radius of small points = 0.9

We have all the info we need to prove that this is a point.

Point's manifold = log(small points,Diameter/2/radius) = 0.827m

The point sits in a manifold of <1 which is too low to be a line.

Adding another 30 probes worth nearly upgrades our point to a line.
Adding another 30 probes, upgrades our point to a line with about 28.89 probes remaining.

Upgrading it to a circle would cost 3734 probes give or take
Upgrading to a sphere would cost 228223 probes

This is interesting and opens up a different way of miners to think about how the system actually works, and it is based on info that we know...

L*R

Last edited:
Interestingly enough if these "points" have gravity, they should be attracted to each other and therefore a centroid could be used to find the position of their "merger", which would create another centroid and another and another and another....

This would require the centroid of all three points to be calculated which means that the internal arrangement of the probes within the point would have to be modeled in order to be the most accurate.

The points in the formed array can be "centroided" and yield a resource claim, but only if a number of conditions are met

1) Direction is taken into account, the arrangement of these points will change depending on the facing of the avatar that creates it. The centroid coordniate changes depending on the placement of the initial probe.

2) The number of smaller points. An infinite amount of points can be compacted into the area of a mining claim by simply increasing the manifold / dimension of the points. At this moment in time, the point is pre-populated with at least 1 smaller points in addition to the x the avatar adds by dropping.

2.5) Hidden information. Ths model assumes that there is no required information that is hidden from the player, so the loot pool and other such unknown information is removed from play due to EU's no gambling claim.
Just to repeat if anything is not known to the avatar mining when they are mining, that information is out of bounds....

3) Correct time. This is an interesting point. It is not unknown information as the time can be displayed ingame. Mindark has also used a timer in the previous version of EU namely PE. (This point is a simple hint if you understand what I am going for in this thread in order to make your attempts more profitable)

4) Centroid offset. If one does generate the centroid you will notice how in some cases miniscule the distances are between where you are standing and the centre of the centroid, simply arming the mining tool, calculating the centroid from your current coords and moving while facing included to the coord of the centroid, has a greater chance of yielding a positive result.

L*R

Last edited:
A funny observation, other players can be probed for resources. This is to be expected depending on how many small points are contained around them.

These points do not seem to charge / populate when mining but rather when offline, this would enable miners to come online, mine like a bat out of he'll for a few minutes then logoff as the small points are used up.

I have noticed when mining that when I hit a find, if i start dropping claims around it in a circle I will eventually hit another find and then if I continue on in that direction it becomes a vein of drops where i have 30 claims all in a very close-knit grouping stretching in a line.

Back