Suggestion: Space and beyond

As usual with any post about space travel this has turned into a ding-dong between those who hate space and want it removed, and those who like space and want to see it developed and take its rightful place in Entropia UNIVERSE.
Said it before and say it again space is the bit between planets in a UNIVERSE.

Ok that said.. lets look at the main contentions
We don't have a choice... yes we do.

So options currently are :-
1. Buy or sell on planet you are located at and settle for local mu
2. Use the AH delivery service, 2 ped and a long wait, 6 ped immediate but only if item is light, can escalate cost massively if heavy
3. Sell to a trader or buy from a trader and let them take the risk of interplanetary trading.
4. Risk flying it yourself but be prepared to lose it to pirates
5. Use a VIP warp service or a scheduled warp service. VIP dearer but at a time of your choosing (think Taxi in RL, scheduled is at set times which may be less convenient but cheaper - think bus service)

Those who are directly comparing a 10 ped scheduled warp or even a 25 ped VIP warp to the AH fees are ignoring the fact that while the warp may be dearer for a single item, it does allow carriage of multiple items, and on an MS or privateer there is no weight restriction and no increase in price due to weight (AH fees rise steeply for heavy items, ores etc).
In real terms 25 ped or even a 45ped double warp is very cheap insurance if moving a high value load. Just make sure you use a known and reputable service.

Space is all PVP (except at SS) and there should be safe routes or a TP. Doesn't matter if it crashes the price for those fools that bought a warp ship.
Easy for those that have not invested ped and time to belittle those who have, it is not them that would lose out if MA introduced another cheap easy way to cross space. As you can bet compensation would be minimal if indeed it materialised at all. Whatever did happen to the reserved AH fees and space missions ?!!?
Easy to call us fools and say tough luck.
Yet if MA came along and nerfed your high-end FAPS / Weapons / Armour and made it all worthless, would that be fair, should I as a space person just laugh and say tough you should have been wiser and less greedy.. ofc not. So don't expect us to sit back and say its ok to ignore us, reduce value of our investments, and be seen as somehow responsible for MA not letting you have a TP.

Far better than arguing with each other, we should join forces to make it plain to MA that they need to develop space as a true area of the game that has its own unique missions, mobs, mining and maybe crafting. That has areas for events, even PVP ring area where avatars/ships can go test there mettle at minimal cost with maybe a league table for individuals (quads/equus/firebird)) ships /teams (Teams being either ships crew or group of quads) etc
If space were more fun, had a more obvious purpose (other than being the boring bit in the way of your game), had things to encourage proper game play from pirates as opposed to SS camping and fertilizer farming, then many more may come to enjoy it and see it as a mainstream part of the game

Fantasy... maybe.. but I am allowed to dream, right ?

You talk about space ppl losing peds on investments, what do you think happend to compet owners?
Ppl do get shafted sometimes, nothing is cut in stone.
They promised compet to be crossplatform and jadadadaa...
Opening up space without fees and a none lootable space WILL generate ALOT of income for both players and mindark.

And sorry to say, tough shit...
Burn 10 ppl to make 6000 happy, seems fair in my book.

NO ITEM/ITEMS SHOULD interfere with auction in a real cash economy game sence that will create a dangerous monopol economy for the few.
We all know what happens when a few traders control the market of certain items. They make a shit load of cash and damage the gameplay for the entire gaming community.

You talk about space ppl losing peds on investments, what do you think happend to compet owners?
Opening up space without fees and a none lootable space WILL generate ALOT of income for both players and mindark.

Burn 10 ppl to make 6000 happy, seems fair in my book.

NO ITEM/ITEMS SHOULD interfere with auction in a real cash economy game sence that will create a dangerous monopol economy for the few.
We all know what happens when a few traders control the market of certain items. They make a shit load of cash and damage the gameplay for the entire gaming community.

What do you think of how many future investors this game would attract if mindark screwed over a sizeable amount of big investors ? There is over 100players (shipowners) who are invested in space with 30k+ peds each - some with well over 300Kpeds. Shipowners are transport bussinesses with lots of contacts - imagine every shipowner to have atleast 10 close friends who will not like if he/she gets shafted.
To me that sounds like a big chunk of your playerbase right there (and for sure a chunk with money).

If people cant understand what it would do to any economy to kill off a whole section of it, they really just should imagine it was the part where they have spent the last 8 years of their life and how they would feel about that.
So please stop trying to be an ass to fellow players and try to be constructive about it.
You want this game to be fun and successfull ? Get behind it and advocate for its development and support it, dont run around looking for things to be shut down.

Burn 10 ppl to make 6000 happy, seems fair in my book. .

I think you should check a few facts.
The price of a compet deed was insignificant compared to the price of a base level warp ship, and therefore a somewhat spurious comparison.
Many of the ship owners have invested further in upgrading their ships, and training their crews, to protect those that travel with them. Their charges for travel are modest so I fail to see how they/we stand accused of profiteering. Return on investments as space stands today are small, and require consistency and work, but with even moderate changes to space there could be significantly better use of the ships and crews, more excitement for space users including those that may then be tempted to give it ago. Who knows MA may even make space profitable one day :)

In what way does a spaceship (of any size) interfere with the AH.. or control trade ?
This is MAs design not ours, as I have explained already there are many choices for traders and using a warp ship is only one of them. Spaceships provide a service, you have the choice to use it or not, no-one forces you. In exactly the same way you can trade person to person, advertise in chats, operate a shop or use the AH, yet I don't see people crying that shop owners should be done away with. Yet they by their sheer numbers must have a greater effect on the economy.
Ships or shops.. it is all part of the free market economy and we have the same right to ply our trades as you do yours. Customers have the right to choose to use a service or not.
That is a free market economy.. not one where MA reacts to a few whiners and accedes to destroying that which they don't like.

Updating space may not be an easy task as we can see from all the threads going back over the years.
On one side we have all the non-space people saying FU to space ship owners, let space burn essentially.
On the other side we have space ship owners and those that have invested in space basically saying that since they have put all this money into the game, they are entitled to essentially control the flow of goods through space.

If auction fees are raised to high levels (yes 50ped is high), then the only safe way to transport loot is by a ship with warp....that is not a choice and is unacceptable, it will also cause more damage to planet partners and only result in a small few with a monoply.

There needs to be a safe way, however long it takes, to travel through space without the need of another players service. The service should be based on getting you there quickly as well as safe. Otherwise there is no choice and i'm afraid space ship owners are just blind to this fact.

If MA are open to updating space, then they also need to be open to providing a way to travel safely through space or have warp capable ships available to everyone but be in an (L) format. These ships would also help with missions in space hunting, quite like (L) weapons and armors currently do planet side, allow you to hunt bigger mobs.

An alternative to the safe long travel route could be to have mob spawns all throughout these safe routes, requiring lots of respawns, damage to tt value of (L) ships if taking those routes. This would make it more attractive to purchase a warp instead.

Updating space may not be an easy task as we can see from all the threads going back over the years.
On one side we have all the non-space people saying FU to space ship owners, let space burn essentially.
On the other side we have space ship owners and those that have invested in space basically saying that since they have put all this money into the game, they are entitled to essentially control the flow of goods through space.

If auction fees are raised to high levels (yes 50ped is high), then the only safe way to transport loot is by a ship with warp....that is not a choice and is unacceptable, it will also cause more damage to planet partners and only result in a small few with a monoply.

There needs to be a safe way, however long it takes, to travel through space without the need of another players service. The service should be based on getting you there quickly as well as safe. Otherwise there is no choice and i'm afraid space ship owners are just blind to this fact.

If MA are open to updating space, then they also need to be open to providing a way to travel safely through space or have warp capable ships available to everyone but be in an (L) format. These ships would also help with missions in space hunting, quite like (L) weapons and armors currently do planet side, allow you to hunt bigger mobs.

An alternative to the safe long travel route could be to have mob spawns all throughout these safe routes, requiring lots of respawns, damage to tt value of (L) ships if taking those routes. This would make it more attractive to purchase a warp instead.

Again theres no need for any new ships as not even 10% of the existing ones are even remotely needed at this time. As for requiring another players service that is also not something that is required as you can always buy your own ship. Its much like crafting.. you cant craft without hunted/mined resources so youll NEED to purchase them off other players or invest in hunting/mining and do it yourself. the reason for the auction fees etc are to curb the interplanetary trading I believe was the goal from MA for each planet to have theyre own separate economy and removing them would only turn caly into the only place to trade anything.

What we do need is more NEED for the current ships and fun less painful things todo with them. SO that more ships are in use doing all sorts of fun things. Adding more ships of any kind would be like adding 50 more LA's to caly so the dead ones can stay dead and the new ones go dead soon too!

One or 2 people out of dozens of owners and hundreds of space crew have suggested high AH fees and or High TP fees. But by no means all ship owners.
TBH I feel the AH fees as they are seem ok and a good compromise between speed and simplicity for single items, and movement of numerous or heavier items with ships, similar to air mail and sea freight. But am peeved, as are other owners, at the unfulfilled promises made when we lost trade to the new delivery system. This has nothing to do with trying to control space.. heaven knows we couldn't if we wanted to, space is in game terms huge and we are comparatively few. Pirates would love to control space, but they also are unable to be everywhere, thank goodness.
To move goods without using AH delivery, without using warp is possible, but needs care and is a risk. Each and every player has to weigh that risk against what they can afford to lose, what skills and knowledge of space they have gained. Nothing in EU is without risk. When you hunt, mine, craft you may win, break even or lose. You go to planet PVP you may get looted. All this seems ok to the majority of players, yet they are not prepared to treat space in the same way, to assess risk, and chose the appropriate way to deal with it

I get it that many of you don't like space, don't want to take part in that aspect of the game, but I don't like some planets. Should I start a campaign to get them removed? Don't bother telling me that is daft - I know it. Now tell me that a universe with no space between planets is not just as daft.

As for your idea regarding safe routes and difficulties placed to ensure not to easy I have posted similar ideas in the past, so I totally agree this is an option

Kind of respectfully disagree with many of you space folks. If MA stuck with their original plan of divesting from planets themselves and allowing them to be self-sustaining ecosystems then sure you all should have all you were promised and then some.

But thats not what happened. The caly sale failed. MA pretended to be two separate companies and now recently gave up even that facade. There are no unique zones or professions that MA didn't put on caly first. PPs are plagued with "universal" materials that are either of no use on planet or missing from the planet. MA did this on purpose FOR YOU GUYS.

Auction fees are bullshit. Items are easy cheap and quick to transport so you can always get your cheap caly goods but good luck unloading any of your unused "universal" materials anywhere else buy caly. What an amazing thing, the one planet MA owns is the one planet that isnt hurt by "universal" materials :laugh:

On the topic of "I've invested so much they owe me"

I've got hundreds of bps in storage that were worth 10's of ks at one time, but have since been superseded by whatever latest and greatest has come out of MA HQ and I'm a small time crafter.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value on crit buffing items in loot 2.0

People lost 100's of ks with tiering before the second items requirement was removed.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value from mod/imp faps from all the new healing tools introduced over the years.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value from old school high end weapons with the introduction of uber eco mayhem/FEN guns.

Ya'll with 100's of ks worth of space stuff are not special.

MA had best tread carefully here unless they want another half dozen next islands on their hands and then what use is space :wise:

Kind of respectfully disagree with many of you space folks. If MA stuck with their original plan of divesting from planets themselves and allowing them to be self-sustaining ecosystems then sure you all should have all you were promised and then some.

But thats not what happened. The caly sale failed. MA pretended to be two separate companies and now recently gave up even that facade. There are no unique zones or professions that MA didn't put on caly first. PPs are plagued with "universal" materials that are either of no use on planet or missing from the planet. MA did this on purpose FOR YOU GUYS.

Auction fees are bullshit. Items are easy cheap and quick to transport so you can always get your cheap caly goods but good luck unloading any of your unused "universal" materials anywhere else buy caly. What an amazing thing, the one planet MA owns is the one planet that isnt hurt by "universal" materials :laugh:

On the topic of "I've invested so much they owe me"

I've got hundreds of bps in storage that were worth 10's of ks at one time, but have since been superseded by whatever latest and greatest has come out of MA HQ and I'm a small time crafter.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value on crit buffing items in loot 2.0

People lost 100's of ks with tiering before the second items requirement was removed.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value from mod/imp faps from all the new healing tools introduced over the years.

People lost 100's of ks worth of value from old school high end weapons with the introduction of uber eco mayhem/FEN guns.

Ya'll with 100's of ks worth of space stuff are not special.

MA had best tread carefully here unless they want another half dozen next islands on their hands and then what use is space :wise:

Ive seen no issue selling universal materials on other planets provided your not trying to get an extra 50%mu for it. And space is also a zone like any planet but unlike individual planets, space has a very direct influence on interplanetary trade and yes does need to be handled carefully, but NEEDs to be handled none the less. As for peoples losses due to uber fen efficient weapons.. the players not ma decided theyre better. personally I prefer uneco and have had great results. Ultimatly what happens between players is not MA's responsibility, what happens direct from ma including promises made for sales is theyre responsibility. You sell guns for large ped on auction promising to offer ammo for it next week and then don't deliver... that's space short version.

Again theres no need for any new ships as not even 10% of the existing ones are even remotely needed at this time. As for requiring another players service that is also not something that is required as you can always buy your own ship. Its much like crafting.. you cant craft without hunted/mined resources so youll NEED to purchase them off other players or invest in hunting/mining and do it yourself. the reason for the auction fees etc are to curb the interplanetary trading I believe was the goal from MA for each planet to have theyre own separate economy and removing them would only turn caly into the only place to trade anything.

What we do need is more NEED for the current ships and fun less painful things todo with them. SO that more ships are in use doing all sorts of fun things. Adding more ships of any kind would be like adding 50 more LA's to caly so the dead ones can stay dead and the new ones go dead soon too!

If they develop space by putting in mob spawns, hunting missions, transport missions, etc, then yes new ship types will be needed. In its current state, definitely not, but the whole point of this is about deveolping space. But again i'm talking about (L) type ships, not UL ones...have you gone hunting in a quad, its s***.

Also you kinda proved my point about the service side of things, basically you just said that to craft you need to buy from miners/hunters OR go hunt/mine yourself...you have a choice in that regard as you can hunt/mine without having to pay others, so that allows you to craft without paying others for their goods. However your choice is that you can buy from others so that you do not have to do the long grinding aspect.

For space, if you want to travel safely in space with loot, there is only one choice, buy a warp. If you fly yourself, you will get shot down and looted in majority of cases. So unless there is an option to travel in space with loot safely without fear of being looted, then your comparison is incorrect. And you cannot just say you have to buy your own ship, unless there are motherships/starfinders,equus, etc that can warp, for every single person wanting to travel through space.....which could be the case if they introduce (L) type warp capable ships.

If they develop space by putting in mob spawns, hunting missions, transport missions, etc, then yes new ship types will be needed. In its current state, definitely not, but the whole point of this is about deveolping space. But again i'm talking about (L) type ships, not UL ones...have you gone hunting in a quad, its s***.

Also you kinda proved my point about the service side of things, basically you just said that to craft you need to buy from miners/hunters OR go hunt/mine yourself...you have a choice in that regard as you can hunt/mine without having to pay others, so that allows you to craft without paying others for their goods. However your choice is that you can buy from others so that you do not have to do the long grinding aspect.

For space, if you want to travel safely in space with loot, there is only one choice, buy a warp. If you fly yourself, you will get shot down and looted in majority of cases. So unless there is an option to travel in space with loot safely without fear of being looted, then your comparison is incorrect. And you cannot just say you have to buy your own ship, unless there are motherships/starfinders,equus, etc that can warp, for every single person wanting to travel through space.....which could be the case if they introduce (L) type warp capable ships.

We were comparing options for transporting goods thru space. The lootable factor is something else entirely and inherant to space and also intended by ma for reasons i cant accuratly speculate on. As for ships there are more than enough now. L ships is interesting but you think that will be cheaper? Youll still need a warp drive which decays and i expect these L ships will as well? And are these supposed to be safe how? Youd have to add 50-100k peds for the SI to be safe. Im pretty sure thats not a good option. That be worse than a 3k ped color/texturing job on an L sleip. Not to mention the skills required to do the job effectively. Captain skills not only increase the rate pirates miss bit also greatly affect your ability to avoid warp mines. Without all these things you have a weak ship thats gets caught in every warp mine and gets hit by every shot. I can assure you i wouldnt ever consider transporting even dung in that scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updating space may not be an easy task

Thats BS.

Updating space to make it interesting is fairly easy and all game mechanics to do it already exist!

Add more dense spawns, so MS owners can use their full powers to grind spacemobs
Add wavespawn areas in space with an awesome boss mob compareable to Sandking or Hussk, so full MS power is needed to take it down.
Add mob spawn area taxed that can be won by a soc in a spacegrab (compareable to landgrab)
Overwork loottables and have spacemobs with loots that are unique to space.
Add a space mission broker to every spacestation where shipowners can start iron missions for spacemobs.

That alone would improve space action a lot and there is absolutele no new coding needed as all mechanics already exist (we have that all planetside!)

Introduction of transport missions that return a part of the auction fees (as advertised) does need a little coding but should not be to hard for a serious coder to do that in less than a month. Well, what I have seen during last 10 years EU development, I doubt that MA has such coders, but still hope they get one sooner or later.

Updating space is not a miracle, it can be done fairly easy with very little worktime involved and serious effects to spaceactivity.

No need to change PvP or auction fees.

The fees charged for auction transports compared to MS transport fees are fair imho.
Auction transports only 1 item/stack with higher costs at more weight (big stacks), MS transport multiple items without weight limits at roughly 5-10x the costs (acceptable).
No need to change this!

Thats BS.

Updating space to make it interesting is fairly easy and all game mechanics to do it already exist!

Add more dense spawns, so MS owners can use their full powers to grind spacemobs
Add wavespawn areas in space with an awesome boss mob compareable to Sandking or Hussk, so full MS power is needed to take it down.
Add mob spawn area taxed that can be won by a soc in a spacegrab (compareable to landgrab)
Overwork loottables and have spacemobs with loots that are unique to space.
Add a space mission broker to every spacestation where shipowners can start iron missions for spacemobs.

That alone would improve space action a lot and there is absolutele no new coding needed as all mechanics already exist (we have that all planetside!)

Introduction of transport missions that return a part of the auction fees (as advertised) does need a little coding but should not be to hard for a serious coder to do that in less than a month. Well, what I have seen during last 10 years EU development, I doubt that MA has such coders, but still hope they get one sooner or later.

Updating space is not a miracle, it can be done fairly easy with very little worktime involved and serious effects to spaceactivity.

No need to change PvP or auction fees.

The fees charged for auction transports compared to MS transport fees are fair imho.
Auction transports only 1 item/stack with higher costs at more weight (big stacks), MS transport multiple items without weight limits at roughly 5-10x the costs (acceptable).
No need to change this!

A good start for mindark would be to assign a budget for space from the income generated by space, that would allow for a coder to be payed and huge improvements would happen quickly from there.
Space hardly needs graphics designers, it just needs someone who knows how to copy/paste existing systems from planets and adjust their use...

Everybody who thinks it's as easy as putting someone to work and edit a few lines believes it's a done deal they get their wishes implemented. I'll have a big bag of popcorn ready the day this gets revealed.

Everybody who thinks it's as easy as putting someone to work and edit a few lines believes it's a done deal they get their wishes implemented. I'll have a big bag of popcorn ready the day this gets revealed.

some things im sure are easier. dense spawns etc.. Im kindsliking the shared BOSS mob idea. We need something up here to actually USE our ships. Right now its kinda like taking the terminator in to kill punies.

drop ships are kinda fun ish, but so spread apart u fall asleep lookin for the next one.

some things im sure are easier. dense spawns etc.. Im kindsliking the shared BOSS mob idea. We need something up here to actually USE our ships. Right now its kinda like taking the terminator in to kill punies.

drop ships are kinda fun ish, but so spread apart u fall asleep lookin for the next one.

Aye, and they are the laziest mobs I know! Have to really poke at them before they wake up

Thats BS.

You obviously have no idea about game development, its not just a copy and paste...there are a ton more factors involved including balacing. Adding any extra lines of code can have undesired effects in other areas. Just look at bugs that pop up after some vu's where they have not modified anything to do with that area.

Its always the same thing though, people think everything is easy and don't understand why someone won't do what they want.....maybe you should go apply for a job at MA and then throw your weight around....more likely to get the results you want, than saying everything is easy on the forums.

You obviously have no idea about game development, its not just a copy and paste...there are a ton more factors involved including balacing. Adding any extra lines of code can have undesired effects in other areas. Just look at bugs that pop up after some vu's where they have not modified anything to do with that area.

Its always the same thing though, people think everything is easy and don't understand why someone won't do what they want.....maybe you should go apply for a job at MA and then throw your weight around....more likely to get the results you want, than saying everything is easy on the forums.

well im not that familiar with game development but was fully trained in basic and c++ years ago before it was visual so I have a good idea.. and if you've hunted drops ships at all you may have noticed they spawn in 2's au's apart.. it could be as simple as changing that 2 to a 5 for each spawner.

that would at least make the trip between mobs worthwhile! :)

Sure it would be easy to create a little action this way. But look, it's just a tiny bandaid in the big picture. We're so fundamentally split about the most basic questions on direction. This is not just a technical problem, it's a real conundrum. Forced pvp or not, that determines if you're developing content for a few heavily invested or for many/all. I am certain they had a different vision when it all began than how it turned out.

Sure it would be easy to create a little action this way. But look, it's just a tiny bandaid in the big picture. We're so fundamentally split about the most basic questions on direction. This is not just a technical problem, it's a real conundrum. Forced pvp or not, that determines if you're developing content for a few heavily invested or for many/all. I am certain they had a different vision when it all began than how it turned out.

The split however is more between those who want mindark to deliver what they promised and follow through on the workings of the universe as they layed them out in various statements and those who want mindark to scrap their plans and get rid of it all by officially allowing to 'skip' space (which is very different from what mindark envisioned).

On the whole development matter, there have been countless threads about what needs to be fixed and how it could be fixed, even threads pointing out which fixes could be done by a single developer rather quickly. And no this is not comming from unexperienced players (in regards to development), i for myself have years of experience in programming, analytics and just in general fixing broken software code of other people in multiple languages. And there is others like me who have a pretty good understanding that the slow progress of space has nothing to do with the programming part and everything to do with the budget and putting someone in place solely responsible for space.

"touching" space? Are you guys sure what you propose?
After your experience what you think is better? "touching" (messing) with space mechanics instead of doing nothing? Personally I suggesting the second option.

"touching" space? Are you guys sure what you propose?
After your experience what you think is better? "touching" (messing) with space mechanics instead of doing nothing? Personally I suggesting the second option.

Doing nothing got us to the messed up situation that we currently have, where people in the community actually believe that out there in the multiverse is a universe without space,stars and planets everything is just flat & fluffy eg. the 'eu-flatearthers'...

aha !
flat earthers , that must be why people want space dumped , your RL flat earthers right , so space cannot possible exist in any way shape or form .

Speak up if you are ! ;)

Back